General Q-ing discussion - please play nice everyone!

Statue_of_Liberty

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paid Access to a Special Queue

I do understand the desire to have some sort of paid priority queue, or to have special tickets issued with numbers on them based on sale time, etc.

But the thing is, I really don't think any of that is realistic. As Christine said we talked to Team Mika in 2008 about creating a "proper" fan club, with paid benefits, and obviously that has never happened.

For there to be a paid feature that would provide paying members with access to a priority queue, Team Mika would have to arrange and run such an operation. And to be quite honest I really don't think they have any interest in arranging something like that. For regular tours, an MFC presale link to buy tickets before the general public is probably the most we can hope for (and really, that's only a true "perk" if it's a reserved seating gig).

So as far as I see it, the only solutions available to us are ones that can be agreed upon and carried out at the fan club level without requiring Team Mika to set up and carry out.

Queuing at Festivals

I for one would be in favour of forgetting about trying to queue at festivals where Mika is just one of many acts playing. Someone else (sorry, I've forgotten who!) mentioned that there are just too many things out of our control at festivals, and that sounds pretty logical to me.

Early Queueing

Personally I think queueing at 2am is insane, and I would never do it. Yes, there were people queueing in NYC at 2am as well for one gig - but it was just two overexcited people. Person number 3 in that queue didn't arrive until late in the morning - the two earlybirds sacrificed a whole night of sleep for NOTHING. That's what needs to happen, I think - if a few people get caught up in the competition and hysteria it's better if everyone else takes a step back and evaluates if it's really worth it to get carried away as well. I can't imagine it ever is. I really for the life of me cannot understand why someone would forfeit a night of sleep just to be exhausted by the time Mika comes on stage. What a waste of a gig. :dunno:

MFC-Only Queue

I also don't think there's any way to create a truly "MFC only" queue. If someone who isn't an MFCer is motivated enough to see Mika that she arrives at the venue at 1pm when doors aren't until 7pm, she should be entitled to a better spot than someone who turns up at 6:45, regardless of whether or not the latecomer is an MFCer. I've always found that random "non-MFC" fans are happy to take a number if you explain to them that it's for their own benefit - to keep track of first come, first served so that people who arrive later won't be able to take their spot away. Most random fans have ended up actually thanking me for the number and telling me how much they appreciate it.

Leaving the Queue

I also think it should go without saying that leaving the queue to nap or sightsee or whatever shouldn't be tolerated. On the other hand, obviously people will need to take bathroom breaks, eat, stretch their legs, etc. As long as people are respectful about it, it shoudn't be a problem.

Working with Venue Security

I think on a proper tour we'll have better luck with having Team Mika insist to security that the numbered queue is let in first, in order. Sounds like that went completely off ther rails in Compiegne, but thankfully gigs like that seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

But Mika seems to prefer standing venues :dunno:

so do i. :teehee:

I was suggesting what Sabine mentioned on another thread.

If the only list that was valid, was the official list started by a designated person from the RSVP list, and the time was agreed on the thread, in conjunction with the other forums (French, German, Dutch etc), then any other list started by anyone else, would be voided, and stop the ridiculous queuing.

If people start realising that getting to the venue at extreme times, is a pointless excerise, then they'll stop doing it, and things will get back on track again.

Rose I don't understand this line of thinking. If everyone decides that 10 am is the designated queuing time, for instance, then what are you going to do when it's 10 am and there are 150 people at the venue? :blink:

i like rose's idea. for example, you could say everone who arrives within the first hour of the list opening, will get a number, starting at number 1. and everyone who has been there already before this time, has to wait for an hour until they can get their number (or, like rose said, leave again and come back). or we could say, the ones who are already there get their numbers via a lottery, but not starting with number 1, but only with number 20 or 50 or so. just to make clear that it's a disadvantage to arrive before this time.

and i agree to what suzie said, that if we do it like this, the list starting time should be different depending on the country and maybe also whether it's a weekday or weekend/holiday (for example, non-mfcers arrived in munich also at 11am, but only because it was a saturday).

to make the system clearer for non-mfc locals who might decide to queue early, we could hang a paper at the venue door the night before, explaining the rules. and of course the local fanclubs would have to make the rules clear in advance. dunno about bigger fanclubs like the french one, but for the german fc i see no problem there - if they get clear rules, i'm sure they'll keep to them. :wink2:

about the paying thing, of course i also would pay for getting a good spot, but i don't have a good feeling with this - besides the fact that team mika would have to organize it. neither do i agree to do mfc-only queues - the ones who complain are always the ones who get a high number or no number at all anymore, because they arrive late. or the ones who usually try to squeeze in last minute and can't because we get in first. but those who arrive early to get to the front are always happy about the system. :wink2:

I really can't see that systems where you tell people what time to arrive could possible work :blink: Who gets which number if everyone arrives at 10? If it's totally random it's the same thing stop the whole system. And how can it be fair to locals who have not got the instructions. They would hardly respect random paper in the venue door telling to arrive at 10 a clock.

I can already imagine fans arriving near the venue hours before the agreed time and trying to be at the venue at the first possible moment :roftl: Seriously, queueing is already stressful enough.

The current system works just perfectly and it's fair to everyone. Everyone gets a number, we make a numbered queue and if the venue co-operates they let us in a bit before the main crowd. I have seen it working dozens of times. The only important thing is that in order to co-operate venues want someone from TM to tell them to use the system. And without John no one from TM is interested or willing to do it and that's why queueing didn't work in Ajaccio.

I think it's good to have some experienced fans telling what to do, and usually there are always a few people who know how the system works. Also, to be fair everyone people in charge (who make the list) needs to tell everyone basic instructions (you can go for a coffee or toilet but not away for hours etc). These things are not black and white, usually it's just fair to use some common sense and take account country/venue/weather etc.

i like rose's idea. for example, you could say everone who arrives within the first hour of the list opening, will get a number, starting at number 1.

But this doesn't address the question that I asked her earlier. What if it's Compiegne and 150 arrive at exactly the same time? I am really surprised that we're having this discussion when all of you have spent time queuing. Surely you understand what a difficulty this is and that if you tell people the queuing starts at 10 am that is the exactly time the they will ALL get there. This isn't a hypothetical situation. There were 150 people at Compiegne at 10 am less than a week ago.

the ones who are already there get their numbers via a lottery, but not starting with number 1, but only with number 20 or 50 or so.

No one is going to agree to a lottery organized by fans on site at the venue. You are not going to convince someone to take #150 when they get to the venue at 10 am and at the same time as everyone else. I usually go to the venue with a group of about 4-10 and we have to negotiate amongst ourselves who goes first. But we are a small group and we are not competing with one another because we are close friends and can take turns since we all go to the same gigs together. You are not going to get dozens of people - some of whom are strangers or even enemies - to accept it, especially if they are allocated a terrible spot. Personally I would not spend thousands of dollars to fly across the world and end up with a *guaranteed* third row spot where I can't see anything at all because I'm too short. And I'm not going to spend all day queuing after that to maintain my place at #150 either. If I want to be in the third row I will go to the venue at 6 pm.

The current system works just perfectly and it's fair to everyone.

Exactly.

Everyone is looking for a magic bullet. Getting up as late as possible and getting the #1 spot for as little effort as possible. It doesn't work that way. If you want the #1 spot you have to work for it.

The only other system that is fair is allocated seats/places at the time you purchase your tickets. Then at least everyone knows where they will be sitting/standing when they make their decision to go to the gig. I am not having that decision made for me *randomly* after I have spent thousands of dollars to get there.

But this doesn't address the question that I asked her earlier. What if it's Compiegne and 150 arrive at exactly the same time? I am really surprised that we're having this discussion when all of you have spent time queuing. Surely you understand what a difficulty this is and that if you tell people the queuing starts at 10 am that is the exactly time the they will ALL get there. This isn't a hypothetical situation. There were 150 people at Compiegne at 10 am less than a week ago.

No one is going to agree to a lottery organized by fans on site at the venue. You are not going to convince someone to take #150 when they get to the venue at 10 am and at the same time as everyone else. I usually go to the venue with a group of about 4-10 and we have to negotiate amongst ourselves who goes first. But we are a small group and we are not competing with one another because we are close friends and can take turns since we all go to the same gigs together. You are not going to get dozens of people - some of whom are strangers or even enemies - to accept it, especially if they are allocated a terrible spot. Personally I would not spend thousands of dollars to fly across the world and end up with a *guaranteed* third row spot where I can't see anything at all because I'm too short. And I'm not going to spend all day queuing after that to maintain my place at #150 either. If I want to be in the third row I will go to the venue at 6 pm.

Exactly.

Everyone is looking for a magic bullet. Getting up as late as possible and getting the #1 spot for as little effort as possible. It doesn't work that way. If you want the #1 spot you have to work for it.

The only other system that is fair is allocated seats/places at the time you purchase your tickets. Then at least everyone knows where they will be sitting/standing when they make their decision to go to the gig. I am not having that decision made for me *randomly* after I have spent thousands of dollars to get there.

true, and i don't mind q-ing early, but not in the middle of the night, cause like what i've read from compiègne, q-ing at 2.30 am and the gig only at 10pm, people must have been so tired, i can't imagine enjoying the gig fully from front row after such a long day

i think i'd be happier coming later then, have a good nights rest and well be at 2nd 3rd or 4th row but enjoy the gig fully

edit: even if i prefer to be front row, i want to be able to enjoy the gig and not constanly yanwing because i haven't slept :aah:

Exactly, totally agree with the whole post, Christine! :thumb_yello: There is no magic way, but maybe we can have some basic lines to keep it fair and avoid unnecessary drama.

true, and i don't mind q-ing early, but not in the middle of the night, cause like what i've read from compiègne, q-ing at 2.30 am and the gig only at 10pm, people must have been so tired, i can't imagine enjoying the gig fully from front row after such a long day

I will not queue at 2:30 am either. But my solution to this is to not go to gigs where this is likely to happen. That's why I didn't go to Compiegne. Surely everyone who went there knew there was going to be massive competition - with almost 100 people RSVPed on MFC there must have been at least 200-300 hardcore fans going because many of the French fans don't post here. I would have expected a large queue to form closer to 6 am than 2:30 am, but does it really matter? It's all a huge ordeal and you're going to be competing with hundreds of people no matter what time the queue forms.

Your options are to go and compete, go and not compete (and end up with a bad position) or stay home. This fantasy option that people want where they can go and not compete and still end up in the first row is not going to materialize as long as the tickets sold are general admission entry.

I will not queue at 2:30 am either. But my solution to this is to not go to gigs where this is likely to happen. That's why I didn't go to Compiegne. Surely everyone who went there knew there was going to be massive competition - with almost 100 people RSVPed on MFC there must have been at least 200-300 hardcore fans going because many of the French fans don't post here. I would have expected a large queue to form closer to 6 am than 2:30 am, but does it really matter? It's all a huge ordeal and you're going to be competing with hundreds of people no matter what time the queue forms.

Your options are to go and compete, go and not compete (and end up with a bad position) or stay home. This fantasy option that people want where they can go and not compete and still end up in the first row is not going to materialize as long as the tickets sold are general admission entry.

true, i did indeed also expect the q incompiègne to be big, but i also didn't expect it to start at 2.30 am

i just hope this was more of an exception and wan't be a rule,

Hi girls, I don't write this often on the forum because I'm not very good at english, but I wanted to express my opinion about this topic and in particular about the show in Compiegne.

I think that when a person decide to take control of the organization of the line must be aware of what it'is going to do, and above all to be able to handle it. You must be present, don't go away all the time like happened in Compiegne, be able to speak a little bit of english to communicate with the other people.

Personally, I found it to be an awful organization, everybody was doing what they wanted to, at 4am I had the number 57 and there were only 20 people in line. In my opinion, when you try and organize things with number you have to consider everyone and not only the first 20 people.

I agree with Sara's idea, also because, according to John, the chance to take the number must have been given only to people of MFC. Also to have in the first row people who are really interested in the show, who knows the songs and not people who just stand there and watch without singing or anything. I would be ready to pay e certain amount of money to have some advantages, it's not a bad idea to me.

I've read all of the thread, I've seen numerous discussion about this but stil I don,t get it...

I must have melted ice in my blood because I don't understand what is so complicated about this.

I've been to numerous gigs in my life, I was rarely front row, but I always had a great time. And a great view.

I remember a long time ago, when I was a crazy teenager, going to sit in front of a stage in order to be front row for that show (it was at a festival and in tose days, admission was FREE) so I knew I was going to wait and it paid off.

Other than that, if you want to be front row, you go early and wait. if you're not willing to wait, you take whatever is left.:mf_rosetinted:

Or you ask Mika to do like Bon Jovi does: to be front row, you pay 1000$ for two seats and that's it.

And I would not pay any amount of money other then the ticket price. You can be a great fan even if you're not always 10 feet from the stage:wink2:

I know, I'm not very helpful... but baiscally I don,t understand why we need to organize a suystem for something that seem so simple.

I wanted to express my opinion about this topic and in particular about the show in Compiegne. I think that when a person decide to take control of the organization of the line must be aware of what it'is going to do, and above all to be able to handle it. You must be present, don't go away all the time like happened in Compiegne, be able to speak a little bit of english to communicate with the other people. Personally, I found it to be an awful organization, everybody was doing what they wanted to, at 4am I had the number 57 and there were only 20 people in line. In my opinion, when you try and organize things with number you have to consider everyone and not only the first 20 people.
There were several people complaining about this and their story was the same, so I assume it to be true. Especially since before one of the London gigs last year I had a long and tiring discussion with someone from France, who was trying to pursuade me how after one signs up for a list at any impossible morning hour, they should be "free to do whatever they want" (i.e. go back do sleep, do sightseeig..etc) and that I cannot demand them to stay around and leave the area for more than an hour.:blink: Her main reasoning was that it was a free world and that I shouldn't try to control people. :boxed: Even though she could not answer my question what she would have done if the Londoners had started the list the night before and gone to party, only to return at 10am with a list of 50 UK fans, she still thought her logic was perfect. :rolls_eyes: I strongly doubt that all or most French fans consider this the accepted way of queueing and to be honest, I would have definitely not accepted receiving queue No60 if there were clearly only around 20 people in the queue. :dunno: (But then I wouldn't go and queue at such huge venues, either. :teehee:). So my question to the ones complaining about the seemingly unfair nature of people getting their names on the list is: why didn't you start a new and fair list with only he names of people who were physically present there? I think fans should totally demand a fair nature of queueing and just because someone claims to have started a list already at 4am and is waving a paper with 60 names with hardly anyone around, you needn't accept that .

I've been to numerous gigs in my life, I was rarely front row, but I always had a great time. And a great view.

I agree with your post but just wanted to comment on this because a Mika gig outside of Canada is very different from most of the gigs I've been to in my life. If I am not in the front row I cannot see. There are no seats so everyone is packed together like sardines and unless you are 5 or 6 inches taller than the person in front of you (which is extremely unlikely in my case because I'm 5'3"), then all you see is the back of their head for the entire gig. Not to mention being trapped in a huge sea of people for 5 or 6 hours and having nothing to lean on, little air in front to breathe and finding it difficult to keep your balance while people are jumping and pushing.

I was in the second row once and I don't think I could see Mika for more than a minute or two throughout the entire gig. He even jumped down into the audience about 15 feet away from me but I couldn't see anything at all. I couldn't have even told you what he was wearing when the gig was over :dunno:

For me it's like the difference between trying to watch a gig through a keyhole and practically being on the stage (in some cases being in the front row has actually allowed me to be on the stage). That's why people are so desperate to make it to the front.

So my question to the ones complaining about the seemingly unfair nature of people getting their names on the list is: why didn't you start a new and fair list with only he names of people who were physically present there? I think fans should totally demand a fair nature of queueing and just because someone claims to have started a list already and is waving a paper with 60 names, you needn't accept that .

That's what I'd like to know. People were tweeting about this at the time and I was tweeting them back telling them to not tolerate it. No one is "in charge" of the list if they are at their hotel taking a nap so the people that are there should discard the original list and start a new one.

This system has worked for 4 years, but someone has to enforce it. EVERYONE has to enforce it. 90% of fans are on the same page when it comes to queuing so it shouldn't be that difficult.

I agree with your post but just wanted to comment on this because a Mika gig outside of Canada is very different from most of the gigs I've been to in my life. If I am not in the front row I cannot see. There are no seats so everyone is packed together like sardines and unless you are 5 or 6 inches taller than the person in front of you (which is extremely unlikely in my case because I'm 5'3"), then all you see is the back of their head for the entire gig. Not to mention being trapped in a huge sea of people for 5 or 6 hours and having nothing to lean on, little air in front to breathe and finding it difficult to keep your balance while people are jumping and pushing.

I was in the second row once and I don't think I could see Mika for more than a minute or two throughout the entire gig. He even jumped down into the audience about 15 feet away from me but I couldn't see anything at all. I couldn't have even told you what he was wearing when the gig was over :dunno:

For me it's like the difference between trying to watch a gig through a keyhole and practically being on the stage (in some cases being in the front row has actually allowed me to be on the stage). That's why people are so desperate to make it to the front.

yes, that's also a reason why i prefer front row, i'm not short, but in liège i didn't see much either, most i saw through my camera actually. (was glad i had tha with me roftl)

edit: so i do get why people are desperate to get front row, ....

yes, that's also a reason why i prefer front row, i'm not short, but in liège i didn't see much either, most i saw through my camera actually. (was glad i had tha with me roftl)

edit: so i do get why people are desperate to get front row, ....

We'll travel to a Mika gig in Canada some day :naughty::thumb_yello:

We'll travel to a Mika gig in Canada some day :naughty::thumb_yello:

Yes come to Vancouver. Queue starts at 4 pm. 900 people. Stage is 3 feet high. No barrier.

Yes, that can actually happen at a Mika gig! :naughty:

ok good idea, only problem will be the money :roftl::roftl:

yes, that's also a reason why i prefer front row, i'm not short, but in liège i didn't see much either, most i saw through my camera actually. (was glad i had tha with me roftl).

Yes all these video clips you see on YT now create the illusion that you've got a great view from 10 rows back. But people are holding the cameras over their heads. You can't actually see what the lens is capturing unless you are really tall.

Yes come to Vancouver. Queue starts at 4 pm. 900 people. Stage is 3 feet high. No barrier.

Yes, that can actually happen at a Mika gig! :naughty:

Woooowwww :mf_lustslow:

I had a Mika gig like that once, it's still my favorite :fangurl:

Woooowwww :mf_lustslow:

I had a Mika gig like that once, it's still my favorite :fangurl:

This one wasn't my favourite tbh. Sometimes when you are that close to the stage all of the sound is behind you. Mika's vocals and keys seem to be especially quiet (you can only hear bass and drums). I mean you really can't hear him singing at all. :aah:

This one wasn't my favourite tbh. Sometimes when you are that close to the stage all of the sound is behind you. Mika's vocals and keys seem to be especially quiet (you can only hear bass and drums). I mean you really can't hear him singing at all. :aah:

The one I'm talking about was an "acoustic" set, maybe that made the difference. :wub2: I def had no problem hearing him sing and talk :wub2: I just had to rewatch that gig now :aah:

Anyway, sorry for the off topic :teehee:

I have a question about the the list.

Lets say you have a list with 150 people on it and you still have , lets say 4 hours to go till the gig starts.

HOW are you going to watch ALL 150 people at the same time :shocked:, and check if they are not more than an hour away from the Que?

You'll need like 15 "MFC-officers" (with colorful uniforms :roftl:) to keep an eye on them :shocked::aah:

Just face it people there is NO logical solution to ALL the Queing problems, Why?

Because we are NOT logical creatures. There are always people that are going to break whatever rule there is because they are suffering from MIKA&ME-tunnel vision*. And with some people it starts when the doors open and others are already suffering from it the night before the gig.

*MIKA&ME-tunnel vision:

-You are only thinking about Mika and yourself, and getting the best of the best spot in the venue.

-You will lose the fact that there are rules you have obey to make sure every thing will go as smoothly as possible for everybody. Why? Because when you are suffering from MIKA&ME-tunnel vision all you see, smell, feel, hear, and THINK is MIKA, FIRST ROW, ME, MIKA, FIRST ROW, ME, MIKA, FIRST ROW, ME. Everybody els doesn't exist, in your mind.

-You can't reason with someone who has MIKA&ME-tunnel vision. They won't hear you, no matter what you say to them. So don't bother.

That's what I'd like to know. People were tweeting about this at the time and I was tweeting them back telling them to not tolerate it. No one is "in charge" of the list if they are at their hotel taking a nap so the people that are there should discard the original list and start a new one.

This system has worked for 4 years, but someone has to enforce it. EVERYONE has to enforce it. 90% of fans are on the same page when it comes to queuing so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Thanks for the explanation.

Here's to hoping I'll see a Mika show outside in Europe some day:thumb_yello:

Just face it people there is NO logical solution to ALL the Queing problems, Why?

Because we are NOT logical creatures. There are always people that are going to break whatever rule there is because they are suffering from MIKA&ME-tunnel vision*. And with some people it starts when the doors open and others are already suffering from it the night before the gig.

*MIKA&ME-tunnel vision:

-You are only thinking about Mika and yourself, and getting the best of the best spot in the venue.

-You will lose the fact that there are rules you have obey to make sure every thing will go as smoothly as possible for everybody. Why? Because when you are suffering from MIKA&ME-tunnel vision all you see, smell, feel, hear, and THINK is MIKA, FIRST ROW, ME, MIKA, FIRST ROW, ME, MIKA, FIRST ROW, ME. Everybody els doesn't exist, in your mind.

-You can't reason with someone who has MIKA&ME-tunnel vision. They won't hear you, no matter what you say to them. So don't bother.

This is exactly it :naughty:

*MIKA&ME-tunnel vision:

So true :thumb_yello:. I don't suffer from this condition, that makes me happy :biggrin2: Did you add this definition to the Mikadictionary :wink2:?

Archived