i'm not quite sure what the fuss is all about, but i started this thread to discuss "Under Water" and discuss we will !

Mika writes a song & we fangurl (or not :aah:), write the lyrics, discuss the meanings... that's what song threads are for. it's been that way since 2007 :teehee:

When a thread doesn't interest me, i read it because that's "my job" but i don't participate. But that doesn't mean there is something "the matter" with the thread... it's just not for me.

So let's get back on track and continue discussing "Under Water"

:yay:

I found your undercover MFC name Mama P :naughty::roftl:

I have to admit I feel the same :wub2: but when I do have songs I don't like that much (very few, one for each album) and many songs I love and some I could listen to endlessly :fangurl:

And Underwater needs to be a single :mf_lustslow:

Merde! i will need to go undercover again:mf_rosetinted: You're too clever:wink2::roftl:

It makes perfect sense my dear. i fell the same way (towards my kids AND mika:wink2:)

I completly understand you. That's exactly what I was thinking these days. I was thinking how I lost judgment about Mika's music. I'm too subjective. :biggrin2::dunno:

This is what people mean when they say that some fans will like anything that Mika does. Not that anyone is not smart, just that they are not objective.

I am not objective either. I have many biases and one of them is that I feel like I "know" Mika on some level and my feelings about his personality and the experiences I have at his concerts colour the way I perceive his music.

But I don't feel that unconditional love for everything he does and everything he likes the way a mother does a son. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I wish there wasn't so much defensiveness towards people who don't approach Mika's work the same way. It is simply not in my nature to not think about why I like things, to not discuss why I think something is good or bad or to accept everything as amazing because it comes packaged with big brown eyes and curly hair :naughty:

Some people maybe were expecting another subject to be approached in TBWKTM and were disappointed with the young thing again.

This is completely off topic (even in the context of our already off topic conversation :naughty:) but I always thought that Mika's labelling of LICM as "childhood" was something made up long after the fact in order to further the theme that TBWKTM was a progression into adolescence. Yes Lollipop has a nursery rhyme rhythm and Stuck in the Middle is obviously about his relationship with his family when he was a child, but that's it. None of the other songs are about childhood, not even Lollipop. Breaking into the music business, war, terrorist attacks, gay affairs, getting laid, nightclubs, heartbreak, obsession. This album has nothing to do with childhood unless you are speaking metaphorically about the stage of Mika's songwriting career when he created the songs.

Because that's how you express your feelings? :dunno:

Of course he is probably not literally with his lover at that exact moment, but that doesn't mean they are separated for any length of time that would make it sad.

I'm not getting sadness at all from this song. It's just really intense and yes, like all intense feelings it will wane one day, but I don't think that's really being addressed in the lyrics.

I don't think they are separated either, but the song gives me a feeling that the love will end some day. That it's not forever. And it makes me sad if I start to think about it. But I don't think it's the point in this song at all, the point is the intense feeling (of love). So I shouldn't think about ending :roftl:

But I don't feel that unconditional love for everything he does and everything he likes the way a mother does a son. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I wish there wasn't so much defensiveness towards people who don't approach Mika's work the same way. It is simply not in my nature to not think about why I like things, to not discuss why I think something is good or bad or to accept everything as amazing because it comes packaged with big brown eyes and curly hair :naughty:

OMG Christine, you can sound so... seductive :das:

:biggrin2:

(not that I haven't read the rest of the post :mf_rosetinted:)

i'm not quite sure what the fuss is all about, but i started this thread to discuss "Under Water" and discuss we will !

Mika writes a song & we fangurl (or not :aah:), write the lyrics, discuss the meanings... that's what song threads are for. it's been that way since 2007 :teehee:

When a thread doesn't interest me, i read it because that's "my job" but i don't participate. But that doesn't mean there is something "the matter" with the thread... it's just not for me.

So let's get back on track and continue discussing "Under Water"

:yay:

You tell 'em guuuurl!:naughty:

Not posting to the fan club does not equal no longer interested in Mika.

I should have worded it differently: people no longer follow him (read: buy his music, go to his concerts) because they lost interest in him for some reason. His audience is smaller now than it was in 2007. People who remained members of the forum love the type of communication and discussions we are engaged in, have friends here...etc. AND love Mika, of course. I think a large part of MFC membership do not even post, just read. Those who are not interested in what is being posed here can leave any time, of course, and join other forums.

Edited by suzie

As I wrote somewhere else, his songs are not only his anymore once he has cast them in the air...they are ours, too, of his audience.

And having been an affectionate fan since 2007, I feel the right to comment, dissect, like or dislike them, always respecting the author of course.

In this case, I feel so happy because I love the song, I can give positive feedback to him and think I can be part of his success, which is something we all look for....that he's got success and fame, satisfied with his work and happy.

I expect the lyrics being enriched a bit though :wink2: and I hope the song won't be over produced :wub2:

This is completely off topic (even in the context of our already off topic conversation :naughty:) but I always thought that Mika's labelling of LICM as "childhood" was something made up long after the fact in order to further the theme that TBWKTM was a progression into adolescence. Yes Lollipop has a nursery rhyme rhythm and Stuck in the Middle is obviously about his relationship with his family when he was a child, but that's it. None of the other songs are about childhood, not even Lollipop. Breaking into the music business, war, terrorist attacks, gay affairs, getting laid, nightclubs, heartbreak, obsession. This album has nothing to do with childhood unless you are speaking metaphorically about the stage of Mika's songwriting career when he created the songs.

Yes, in terms of the theme and even the music to some extent, TBWKTM was not much different from LICM and I think he actually caught himself in a trap with that one. He might have thought that is was different and slightly 'darker' but in fact, it was not different / unique enough and I don't consider it 'dark', either. :dunno: The chorus of WAG sounds just the opposite, for example, although I understand why he thinks it is dark. It may have sounded dark originally, particularly with the intro, but this trademark 'juxtaposing' did not work on that one in the end.

I am only mentioning this because in EMD he quotes his mum 'can't you write a happy song' as the advice he keeps receiving in order to enable to get himself back on the charts but I don't think it is a question of happy or sad songs. It is the question of not overthinking and overproducing songs.

I hope the song won't be over produced :wub2:

me, too. It is likely to be produced by the guys he wrote it with, although I must add I'd love a William Orbit mix for this one.

Edited by suzie

This is what people mean when they say that some fans will like anything that Mika does. Not that anyone is not smart, just that they are not objective.

I am not objective either. I have many biases and one of them is that I feel like I "know" Mika on some level and my feelings about his personality and the experiences I have at his concerts colour the way I perceive his music.

:lmfao:

I think I´m that case that loves everything that comes packaged with big brown eyes and curly hair :roftl: But I can still say what´s bad at it. But, generally, yes, I DO love everything by Mika. :mf_rosetinted:

I expect the lyrics being enriched a bit though :wink2: and I hope the song won't be over produced :wub2:

Exactly my thoughts too, I expect the lyrics to evolve a bit, the song is new and most times he works with his new songs, and I hope the song (final result) will stay simple and fresh (lol, I'm not sure "simple" is the word, I don't know how else to say it).

Yes, MFC is not his only audience, and there are lots of people commenting on MS, or his YT channel or tweet him that probably are not registered here.

But you know? I guess all those people at least once came here for news and whatever is connected to Mika, because the buzz is here :biggrin2:

You can agree with the MFC or not, but you will need the MFC sooner or later :naughty:

Yes, MFC is not his only audience, and there are lots of people commenting on MS, or his YT channel or tweet him that probably are not registered here.

But you know? I guess all those people at least once came here for news and whatever is connected to Mika, because the buzz is here :biggrin2:

You can agree with the MFC or not, but you will need the MFC sooner or later :naughty:

So true. :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao:

I think I´m that case that loves everything that comes packaged with big brown eyes and curly hair :roftl: But I can still say what´s bad at it. But, generally, yes, I DO love everything by Mika. :mf_rosetinted:

Yes, actually! Why it is bad to keep balance?

Why to be interested in his music (and deep feelings that it creates) is considered good and cool, and fangurling over his eyes is supposed to be a bad form?

Can we enjoy both spiritual and mundane sides? :mf_rosetinted:

His audience or this fan club is smaller?

This fan club is not his audience.

:aah: I can't believe I have to explain the most obvious things, honestly.

I was NOT talking about his fanclub but his audience / fans / supporters.

You can measure it rather objectively with the number of records and concert tickets he sells.

Exactly my thoughts too, I expect the lyrics to evolve a bit, the song is new and most times he works with his new songs, and I hope the song (final result) will stay simple and fresh (lol, I'm not sure "simple" is the word, I don't know how else to say it).

Didn't he use the same words 'simple' and 'fresh' in the Korean interview?

Actually, I am quite happy with the lyrics and don't mind parts being repeated. I'd rather he spent more time on the lyrics to BIOTW. :teehee:

PS: I checked: he used 'fresh' there. I am sure he has used 'simple' as well before to describe some of the music he likes or is working on. I guess he means 'straightforward' and / or not over-layered music by it.

Edited by suzie

Didn't he use the same words 'simple' and 'fresh' in the Korean interview?

Actually, I am quite happy with the lyrics and don't mind parts being repeated. I'd rather he spent more time on the lyrics to BIOTW. :teehee:

Actually, he did! I'm just not sure if Mika and I have the same definition to it... You know, he always describes his albums like that. TBWKTM was dark and as you commented, it's not that dark. TOOL will be simple and fresh. I'm not sure how he sees simple and fresh :roftl:

I always loved I'm falling because it's so simple and fresh, and I See You is very different. I still like I See You a lot, it's one of my favorite Mika songs, but it's very different than the original song. Lol, I don't use "fresh" like "new" but fresh like um, wind (something pure and natural) :teehee: I would love to hear Mika's definition to fresh :naughty:

Edit: Please don't ask me to explain how pop music even can be pure and natural :roftl: UW just feels like that.

Edited by tiibet

I always loved I'm falling because it's so simple and fresh, and I See You is very different. I still like I See You a lot, it's one of my favorite Mika songs, but it's very different than the original song. Lol, I don't use "fresh" like "new" but fresh like um, wind (something pure and natural) :teehee: I would love to hear Mika's definition to fresh :naughty:

Edit: Please don't ask me to explain how pop music even can be pure and natural :roftl: UW just feels like that.

In the meantime, I edited my previous post as I listened to that Korean interview once more to make sure I remembered the exact word he used to describe it and he did use 'fresh'.

As for the word 'pure' or 'simple' I guess he means 'straightforward' and / or not over-layered.

I'm Falling vs I See You is a good example you mention to highlight the difference between a simple, pure and beautiful song and a complicated, overthought version of it that is written by the book yet somehow lacks its own identity.

In other words, I'm Falling is a Mika song, I See You is a Celine song. :naughty: still a good one though (:teehee:)

Edited by suzie

There is an option other than "unconditional love" for his work and "biased but still thinking about it," which is simply having a preference for his style.

I like the lyrics of this song because they allude to a few other things I really like, whether he intended to allude to them or not. The point is that the lyrics are like other things I like so I like the lyrics the way I like those other things. It's my preference to like them.

It isn't unconditional. It isn't irrational. It isn't lacking objective thought. It is simply what I like. I like Mika's work because I like the work Mika puts into it.

I like this song because it reminds me of imagery I have read in books and seen in movies, specifically tales in which mermaids save mortals by kissing them or breathing into their mouths until they can get to shore. It also reminds me of a particularly moving scene in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, which comes strongly to mind as he talks about titling the next album The Origin Of Love, which happens to be the title of my favorite song on the Hedwig soundtrack.

It also reminds me of an experience I had when someone kissed me while I was having an anxiety attack. That person didn't know I had been on the verge of being unable to breathe, but when the kissing started, my rib cage released and my breathing got slow and deep; I felt like I could breathe under water if I had to. (NOTE: I do NOT recommend kissing as a remedy for anxiety, but in that specific context, it worked for me.)

It is an incredibly powerful image for me because of my fondness for mermaid lore, unusual musicals, and personal experience.

As for the question of falling to my feet, it is an image representing how love can turn your head, flip your world upside down, make the world topsy turvy, make you fall head over heels and land on your feet, etc. It's a clever way of alluding to a cliche without actually being cliched.

This is all stuff that moves me without having to think about because I already like it. Most of the time, I will say I just like it. But I get really annoyed with the indirect, subtle, probably unintentional implication that I like his work because of his physical appearance or because I'm just too fond of him to dislike anything he does.

I like what he does because it appeals to me on every level that all other art I like appeals to me. I just usually prefer not to analyze it because people start calling me a pedant and know-it-all.

I don't know it all, but I know what I like. In this case, I like the lyrics to this song because they make sense to me as an art geek and as someone who had an experience that made me feel the way that hearing this song makes me feel.

And if that's unconditional and thoughtlessly lacking objective thought, then paint me purple and call me a cow cuz this post is as pointless as the image I just alluded to.

Thanks for putting in (better) words what I think.:thumb_yello:

Loving your kids and thinking they're the best doesn't mean you don't slap them in the back of the head sometimes because they did something stupid or didn't work hard enough.:mf_rosetinted:

As for the question of falling to my feet, it is an image representing how love can turn your head, flip your world upside down, make the world topsy turvy, make you fall head over heels and land on your feet, etc. It's a clever way of alluding to a cliche without actually being cliched.

This is exactly the image I have in my head, so "falling to my feet" made perfect sense from the beginning (even I don't know if it's correct English or not). I had to quote you, because I tried to explain it pages ago :biggrin2: So even it's only a couple of words there's always a complicated image behind, and different people can see it in a very different way.

I should have worded it differently: people no longer follow him (read: buy his music, go to his concerts) because they lost interest in him for some reason. His audience is smaller now than it was in 2007. People who remained members of the forum love the type of communication and discussions we are engaged in, have friends here...etc. AND love Mika, of course. I think a large part of MFC membership do not even post, just read. Those who are not interested in what is being posed here can leave any time, of course, and join other forums.

At this point I must admit I´m sure I´m a Mika fan now thanks to MFC. After my first year, I felt like moving on, cause I felt nothing while listening to his songs or watching the vids... I just remained here because of MFC, because of the discussions and people here, not for Mika. Then it passed and I recovered my feelings for his music (which is the best, cause honestly, no matter how hot he is, if you don´t like his music it´s pointless to be here).