"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

Mika's Album - Metropolis Studios

Tilted The Origin of Love, the Mika’s new album is said to combine elements of melodic classic pop that defined 70’s and 90’s. Mika has described his approach on the album to be more simplistic approach than his previous albums. However, this wasn’t reflected in the percussion order! Were we sent everything from Djun Djun’s, Conga's to our 4.3 Marimba.

I’m looking forward to hearing the final album and how our instruments contributed to his latest work.

http://www.bellperc.com/article/news_events_2012

That's an interesting article. Thanks!:thumb_yello:

Marimba sounds so beautiful :wub2:

[YOUTUBE]xuw7L_hKJsg[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds so "underwaterish", don't you think? :naughty:

Mika's Album - Metropolis Studios

Tilted The Origin of Love, the Mika’s new album is said to combine elements of melodic classic pop that defined 70’s and 90’s. Mika has described his approach on the album to be more simplistic approach than his previous albums. However, this wasn’t reflected in the percussion order! Were we sent everything from Djun Djun’s, Conga's to our 4.3 Marimba.

I’m looking forward to hearing the final album and how our instruments contributed to his latest work.

http://www.bellperc.com/article/news_events_2012

It's so interesting to read info like that!!! Feeling super excited about the new album:biggrin2:

Marimba sounds so beautiful :wub2:

[YOUTUBE]xuw7L_hKJsg[/YOUTUBE]

Love this sound! It's so dreamy and beautiful:wub2:

Tilted The Origin of Love, the Mika’s new album is said to combine elements of melodic classic pop that defined 70’s and 90’s.

I hope this is not true. The 90s were a terrible time for pop music, Mika has even said so himself. That's why Madonna's Ray of Light was such a breath of fresh air, because it was very dance/trance instead of the pop at that time.

I love finding and posting these little pieces of info here, so no need to thank me :naughty: But you're welcome, everyone :thumb_yello:

Sounds so "underwaterish", don't you think? :naughty:

Yes yes yes! That's exactly what I thought when I first heard it :biggrin2:

I hope this is not true. The 90s were a terrible time for pop music, Mika has even said so himself. That's why Madonna's Ray of Light was such a breath of fresh air, because it was very dance/trance instead of the pop at that time.

The 90s was all about one hit wonders, boybands, plus the Spice Girls, Mariah and Celine in pop music. Nothing really characteristic and I didn't like it, either. :dunno: Well, I liked Blur and the first 2 Oasis albums as at least they were different.

I don't know who Mika was referring to from the 90s (he once mentioned the Cardigans :blink: ) but I hope it's not Ace of Base or Aqua :aah::roftl:

Actually Ace of Base and Aqua were two of the better acts in terms of real pop. Which just goes to show how dire the situation was :roftl:

I think the Ace of Base production team was the hub where several of today's songwriter/ producers of oversimplified pop music learned their skills. So I blame it all on them. :shun:

Edited by suzie

The 90s was all about one hit wonders, boybands, plus the Spice Girls, Mariah and Celine in pop music. Nothing really characteristic and I didn't like it, either. :dunno: Well, I liked Blur and the first 2 Oasis albums as at least they were different.

I don't know who Mika was referring to from the 90s (he once mentioned the Cardigans :blink: ) but I hope it's not Ace of Base or Aqua :aah::roftl:

I just typed a long post about the bad music of the 90's when my computer restarted, and I wanted to say I can't remember anything from that period, BUT!!! Then my mind just clicked. Beck was in the 90's, so as Radiohead, Cardigans, Garbage, No Doubt, The Cranberries, Third Eye Blind. Not classic pop, but what is classic pop nowadays after all? :dunno: It wasn't that bad after all. Maybe, 50 years from now, someone is going to say Nirvana was a classic pop band, who knows. :naughty:

Edited by nenartus

Well let's just say top 40. I never heard Radiohead on top 40 radio in Canada and Beck was a one hit wonder in that respect. I'm going to see the Cranberries next month actually so of course it wasn't all bad but my iTunes is filled with music from the 70s and I have fond memories of hundreds of acts from the 80s. I also like a lot of music from around the time Mika came out so I don't think it's just because I'm :wheelchair:

Well let's just say top 40. I never heard Radiohead on top 40 radio in Canada and Beck was a one hit wonder in that respect. I'm going to see the Cranberries next month actually so of course it wasn't all bad but my iTunes is filled with music from the 70s and I have fond memories of hundreds of acts from the 80s. I also like a lot of music from around the time Mika came out so I don't think it's just because I'm :wheelchair:

oooooooooohhh i love The Cranberries :swoon:

@nenartus yes, the Cardigans was definitely one band Mika mentioned as an influence on the next album but he mentioned Beck earlier, too, and I haven't really noticed the connection yet. :roftl:

I actually mentioned Ace of Base as he did speak highly of 'The Sign' once and ever since then I am horrified he might start working with producers from that 'stable'.

I'm :wheelchair: too. :teehee: Radiohead was quite popular in Serbia. So as Beck. And I think he was a little bit in front of his time (i'm not sure if this is the right expression).

I think iTunes (or whatever) is going to be filled with music from the 90s in about 20 years, when nostalgia starts to hit kids from 90's. :naughty:

@nenartus yes, the Cardigans was definitely one band Mika mentioned as an influence on the next album but he mentioned Beck earlier, too, and I haven't really noticed the connection yet. :roftl:

I actually mentioned Ace of Base as he did speak highly of 'The Sign' once and ever since then I am horrified he might start working with producers from that 'stable'.

He was 10, or something like that, when this song was a hit. He must be nostalgic. :naughty: It's perfect for kid's parties. :roftl:

I'm :wheelchair: too. :teehee: Radiohead was quite popular in Serbia. So as Beck. And I think he was a little bit in front of his time (i'm not sure if this is the right expression).

I think iTunes (or whatever) is going to be filled with music from the 90s in about 20 years, when nostalgia starts to hit kids from 90's. :naughty:

You would say "ahead of his time". It's not nostalgia for me. I listen to music from all eras but almost all the 90s stuff is dance/trance because good pop was so limited. Most of the best artists in the top 40 were already well established in the 80s like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, U2, etc.

He was 10, or something like that, when this song was a hit. He must be nostalgic. :naughty: It's perfect for kid's parties. :roftl:

Actually, I think EMD fits better for kid's parties. In a way, it is similar to Barbie Girl: brilliant in its idiocy but not exactly the direction I'd like to see Mika to take.

I don't know where his idea of 90s pop influence is coming from and in a way I agree with Christine AoB and Aqua were better than most other pop productions of the era but citing 90s pop as an influence in general still sounds rather odd to me.

Edited by suzie

oooooooooohhh i love The Cranberries :swoon:

I think they saved a lot of people from jumping into the sea last year at the Porto show:naughty:

My favourite bands from the 90s were Blur, Supergrass and Erasure, it wasn't my overall favourite era for music. Although I like Beck and The Cardigans, they weren't bad.

I think they saved a lot of people from jumping into the sea last year at the Porto show:naughty:

]

After those " depressing Tinderstick zombies" played, we could say they saved the night before Mika came in...:naughty:

True! :lmfao:

I loved their gig there! :wub2:

+1!!!