Interview for Kaltblut Magazine

LaraMay

It’s an important album. Forget the commercial aspect. Forget all that. You can’t predict that. I did this French song that my record company in the UK and my manager begged me not to put out, and I said my intentions for putting it out were very simple, it is the right thing for me to do as an artist.

Thats my favorite part of the interview. I really admire this mentality. Thats the way things should be, it wouldnt be good if he did exactly what the record company suggested (cant believe we wouldnt have listened to Elle me Dit yet if he had followed their advice) or even what the public demands. He should always be doing what feels right for him as an artist.

Also I really love the idea of the short films! Really looking forward to seeing them and finding out more about the autumn gigs of course:biggrin2:

That was a great interview, thanks for posting:thumb_yello:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tickets to Compiegne not really selling might have influenced his decision to out EMD out in a hurry...:fisch: but I like how he explains it in a way that reflects well on his 'artistic integrity'. His intelligence is unquestionable. :teehee:

I'm confused about what Mika meant when he said that William and Martin aren't on the album; ...

....and especially not reacting to Fanny Ardant being on it...

I was thinking about it yesterday and it could be that the interviewer (a non-native speaker) may have made some mistakes when transcribing this interview.

So they didn't produce any of the songs that have ended up it? What about Stardust? That's the song Martin produced, isn't it? Hmm...

further proof I wouldn't trust everything written in there.

Tickets to Compiegne not really selling might have influenced his decision to out EMD out in a hurry...:fisch: but I like how he explains it in a way that reflects well on his 'artistic integrity'. His intelligence is unquestionable. :teehee:

....and especially not reacting to Fanny Ardant being on it...

I was thinking about it yesterday and it could be that the interviewer (a non-native speaker) may have made some mistakes when transcribing this interview.

further proof I wouldn't trust everything written in there.

i agree with you suzie, i also got the impression that the interview, or at least the transcript of it, was somehow a bit chaotic and not 100% professional, maybe due to lack of experience of the interviewer. also the way it's presented on the website, with random videos and pictures without descriptions where those came from or how they relate to the text, so it looks more like a blog than a magazine. it seems that this magazine only started this year in february (at least that's when they started their facebook site, and it says there that it's a *new* magazine). another example, i think in the sentence "It’s very sincere and incredible." mika probably said "credible"... :dunno: anyway, that's the reason why i'll only believe that german tour thing when we have the dates. :fisch:

Edited by mellody

Maybe you're right about releasing EMD to sell more tickets to Compiègne, but if that was their goal, it really wasn't successful as EMD was heard for the first time one week before Compiègne, and mostly fans who already had tickets knew EMD existed... The rest of the population only heard about EMD in August/September. If he had a French gig at the time of the Seoul gig in September then it would have been crazy and sold out very fast in my opinion

I can believe what Mika says about the UK version of the record label not wanting him to release EMD.

I mean, they didn't even give the song a chance over here. It's like they have this idea that singing songs in something other than English is just not the done thing. Yet some songs in foreign languages have been hits in the UK. Not many, but some have.

Releasing the French song would have shown the UK how versatile Mika really is.

But anyway, I like the interview and I like what Mika is doing with the videos. I think the music videos are a good idea as they may get played on the music channels, and if the songs are available on iTunes, or other internet download stores, as individual songs, as well as the complete album, it's possible he'll get hits from songs that arn't singles.

This would make sense, as I personally, felt that the wrong songs were singles from TBWKTM, and some others could have been hits if people could have heard them. Maybe that's what he thinks too. After all, it's the record company who seem to decide what songs to release, this way though, Mika takes back some of the control from them and gets his own favourite songs out there.

I remember him saying something along the lines of... These days people can pick and choose from the album tracks. When TBWKTM was released he had #1s in other countries with songs that wern't the first single. Maybe that's what he's aiming for this time.

I'm also very happy for the German fans.

I'm confused about what Mika meant when he said that William and Martin aren't on the album; So they didn't produce any of the songs that have ended up it? What about Stardust? That's the song Martin produced, isn't it? Hmm...

I'm a bit confused too with this article... Oh well, we'll only know for sure when the album's out I guess. I have to say I'd be a bit disappointed now if Solveig wasn't involved at all after all the previous mentions :aah:

Oh well, we'll see. *still in waiting mode*

I'm confused about what Mika meant when he said that William and Martin aren't on the album; So they didn't produce any of the songs that have ended up it? What about Stardust? That's the song Martin produced, isn't it? Hmm...

He did say a few days ago that the album was 2 weeks away from being finished and he just needed to reduce 16 songs to 12. Maybe the ones they worked on have already been taken off the final playlist??

Maybe not?!!! :aah:

i'll only believe that german tour thing when we have the dates. :fisch:

He does not actually say 'tour', just says 4 shows, that could be promotional appearances or even the theatre shows he was once talking about (I'd :wub2: to see one in Germany, actually).

I think the key to me mystery may be in the names of the people interviewing him:

INTERVIEW by Nicolas Simoneau And Stéphane Peyré

TEXT CORRECTION by Bénédicte Lelong

- not particularly German or English names aren't they? They also needed a 'text corrector' and that say it all... :naughty:

In any case, better than nothing and at least it sounds like a really positive and enthusiastic interview with lots of links to songs, too.

It seems to me he did exactly what the record labels said regarding EMD. They wanted him to release it in France and not release it in the UK.

Why would he release a French song in the UK, anyway. It's just a funny twist on things, like when he talks about collaborating with Pharrell on Celebrate. Mika starts by saying that Pharrell called him .. so I imagine Pharrell waking up one morning with the idea to call Mika who happened to be working on his new album and insisted on working with him... :rolls_eyes:

Sweet :teehee:

He does not actually say 'tour', just says 4 shows, that could be promotional appearances or even the theatre shows he was once talking about (I'd :wub2: to see one in Germany, actually).

I think the key to me mystery may be in the names of the people interviewing him:

INTERVIEW by Nicolas Simoneau And Stéphane Peyré

TEXT CORRECTION by Bénédicte Lelong

- not particularly German or English names aren't they? They also needed a 'text corrector' and that say it all... :naughty:

In any case, better than nothing and at least it sounds like a really positive and enthusiastic interview with lots of links to songs, too.

Why would he release a French song in the UK, anyway. It's just a funny twist on things, like when he talks about collaborating with Pharrell on Celebrate. Mika starts by saying that Pharrell called him .. so I imagine Pharrell waking up one morning with the idea to call Mika who happened to be working on his new album and insisted on working with him... :rolls_eyes:

Sweet :teehee:

I work with a text corrector in everything I wrote, even French. :thumb_yello:

Maybe I cant recall things properly but I think he said in another interview that Pharrell asked him for a lot of money,and then Mika called Pharrell and told him that he didnt want to buy a song but to work with him... then Pharrell agreed and that was all...

Ok,slightly going to the point of having fun with Mikas differents answers depending on his mood :aah:

Maybe I cant recall things properly but I think he said in another interview that Pharrell asked him for a lot of money,and then Mika called Pharrell and told him that he didnt want to buy a song but to work with him... then Pharrell agreed and that was all...

Ok,slightly going to the point of having fun with Mikas differents answers depending on his mood :aah:

Mika wanted to work with Pharrell for the second album and then Pharrell wanted to have 100000 Dollar and Mika disclaimed at that time. This time Pharrell asked Mika to work with him and he didn´t want money for it :wink2:

I work with a text corrector in everything I wrote, even French. :thumb_yello:

You mean a person correcting your French?

It is a 3rd person listed at the end of an article whose function was to probably transcribe or even translate what the other two wrote...

Maybe I cant recall things properly but I think he said in another interview that Pharrell asked him for a lot of money....

There was an interview in 2009 with Mika, that's where it was mentioned first but I can't remember whether it was an article or a radio interview. Does anyone remember? (Marina perhaps? :teehee:)

yes, sure it happened that way...:mf_rosetinted:

not sure that it happened like that but I´m sure he told even this story in an interview :wink2:. I´m pretty good remembering what I read :wink2:which doesn´t necessarly mean that I believe everything :teehee:

You mean a person correcting your French?

It is a 3rd person listed at the end of an article whose function was to probably transcribe or even translate what the other two wrote...

There was an interview in 2009 with Mika, that's where it was mentioned first but I can't remember whether it was an article or a radio interview. Does anyone remember? (Marina perhaps? :teehee:)

he talked about it in one of the last interviews.

he talked about it in one of the last interviews.

No, I meant the original story....:teehee:

Here it is:

Are you nervous about the forthcoming album release?

- Yes, it is clear. But I have done it on my own terms, "he says.

Mika says that he hired hitmaker Pharell Williams that he would produce a song for him. But already at the second meeting he asked for 750 000 kroner in advance.

- I thought he was kidding, but he did not. But then I realized that I buy are not songs. I created a world around my music, "he says.

I found it here:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19295

link to the Swedish interview from 2009:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/article5649563.ab

:doh: that's why I remembered a bigger amount. It was in Swedish Krona.

Edited by suzie

That one?

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19295&highlight=pharrell

Oh and I found your reaction at the time Suzie! :naughty:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2454260&postcount=23

Oh you guys are good. :thumb_yello:

Does anyone remember what he said earlier about not being sure about releasing EMD? I could have sworn he said the French label wanted to and he thought it was risky. But I don't know for sure and can't remember where he said it. It was fairly recently I think.

No, I meant the original story....:teehee:

Here it is:

Are you nervous about the forthcoming album release?

- Yes, it is clear. But I have done it on my own terms, "he says.

Mika says that he hired hitmaker Pharell Williams that he would produce a song for him. But already at the second meeting he asked for 750 000 kroner in advance.

- I thought he was kidding, but he did not. But then I realized that I buy are not songs. I created a world around my music, "he says.

I found it here:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19295

link to the Swedish interview from 2009:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/article5649563.ab

:doh: that's why I remembered a bigger amount. It was in Swedish Krona.

thank you

Oh you guys are good. :thumb_yello:

Does anyone remember what he said earlier about not being sure about releasing EMD? I could have sworn he said the French label wanted to and he thought it was risky. But I don't know for sure and can't remember where he said it. It was fairly recently I think.

he talked about it on the interview after winning the NRJ award and he showed us the guy who told him to release EMD, forgot his name. I can´t find the vid but it was called Reaction after NRJ or so

Edited by Sabine64

he talked about it on the interview after winning the NRJ award and he showed us the guy who told him to release EMD, forgot his name.

The thing is there are different stories about this... A year ago when he released EMD on NRJ he also said that Martin Solveig had convinced him to release it for the Summer... Anyway that shows he really wasn't too sure about it, he's lucky it ended up being a hit

he talked about it on the interview after winning the NRJ award and he showed us the guy who told him to release EMD, forgot his name. I can´t find the vid but it was called Reaction after NRJ or so

http://www.nrj.fr/videos-3964/clips-4022/media/video/496882-reactions-mika-nrj-music-awards-2012.html

This is the video :wub2:

He says the album will be out in Spring :aah:

The name of the guy is Jocelyn, he's talking about the risk he was taking at around 1.15

In my short research I also found some other bits of news from 2007 that are interesting in retrospect:

:Update:

"Mika works on Madonna's new album !

Madonna currently works on her new album, awaited for the end of the year. Among collaborations envisaged, we heard about Justin Timberlake, Timbaland or Pharrell Williams. But, to the general surprise, Mika, the new pop talent, could put his voice beside Madonna's voice, in particular on a electro-pop hit on which he will appear as featuring."

Who knows... Madonna's new album got pushed for a 2008 release at this point after the leak of a new song with Pharrell wasn't exactly successful.

:shocked: about the last comment.

That piece of news also appeared in the NME, I think, back in 2007.