2012 - MIKA @ Nibe - Denmark - July 4: REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

Christine

:thumb_yello: we should do our best and try to grab that hat at one of those gigs and burn up as a witch :aah:

gonna get those peddle-pushers too .... he looks gawd damn awful in them :eek:

Mika: It was nice not to be alone!

After 5 years of waiting, Mika finally came to the Nibe Festival to play. And Gaffa was with him

Gaffa got the opportunity to meet Mika after the concert, and then there got raked up in a old wound.

You should have played at Nibe 5 years ago, but you had to cancel. That didn’t make you popular. Do you feel you and the audience “kissed and made up” during the concert?

Mika: (laughing) I don’t know. Ask them. When I cancelled last time, was it all wrong with me. Lost 60% of my hearing. When things like that happen you, get scared of you might get death, and if the career is over. I went all the way to the rats (a Danish saying). But I found the balance, and got the most of my hearing back again, but I have never got over it. If I have to go at a restaurant, I have to sit in a corner with the one ear against the wall, to hear something. But It wont let me down. It wouldn’t help my career. Så I shut up and swallow the caramel, that was the best I could do. I want to stand up and say “I’m a bit late. But I’m here now”

And now it's now. You got a new album “The Origin of love” on the way (out in September), There is filled with love songs…

Mika: (smiling laughing) Yes, not normally love songs. Pretty different.

And that makes a kliché question, and I would like to hear, what there make you do an album with love songs?

Mika: Hmm, to lose the love and then fall in love very quick again. And to follow the flow. First I haven’t wrote a song in a half year, and been on tour for 2 years. And I didn’t knew how to get started again. And each time I thought about writing a song, I felt the pressure. And then I felt in love again, felt in love with writing songs again. I have wrote songs since I was 11 years old, so to write songs is my job. Not to write for a half year was very strange. But to fell in love with a new person, was motivation enough to leave my life in London, pack my bags, call Nick Littlemore (producer) that I would like to work with. Then I wrote the tittle track to the new album “the origin of love” and I didn’t take home for a half year, and wrote the album during that time

You say that the album contains unconventional love songs. What makes them unconventional?

Mika: "There are all kinds of love songs. There is one called" Love you When I'm Drunk ", a song about hating love, which is" The Origin of Love ", which is about the Roman Catholic church, and my contempt for religion's chains. It's not exactly 90s-ballads (laughs). "

Fortunately. Now that you are the Roman Catholic Church and chains. How else would you describe your relationship to religion?

Mika: "I have no respect for religious authority. I think they are terrible. But I think it's good to have faith. Whether it's a tree or in one that is called God. I grew up with religion . I was brought up by a hippie Roman Catholic family. a strange environment. It was always that I should go to church, or I would be punished. "

If we return to the love songs, what do you think the perfect love song contains?

Mika: "(laughs) Probably a Diane Warren and Celine album. But hatred. Absolutely. Anger. There will be resentment in a love song. Tension between" I love you but I hate you also "do a love song valid. when you love someone, you appreciate them not only. you hate them also for the control they have over you, how weak you feel. you hate how much better you feel, now that you're in love, for why can not you be happy enough alone. Blondie is a good example. Blondie has written the best love songs. There are plenty of sexual tension. "

What love song are your favorite? Is it one of Blondie?

Mika: "Yeah, or maybe Björk with 'It's Oh so Quiet'. It is good love song. Psychotic, crazy, disturbed. All the things that a love song must contain".

What’s the best song to make love to?

Mika: "Hmm, I know hardly. I think many of my generation probably was conceived for an East 17-plate, and it's certainly not sexy music (laughs). The best songs to love to is probably not the best songs to make love to. I hate the idea of what song I was conceived, and I have no desire to figure it out. The idea makes me really badly. Sex and music may not work so well together, unless you is really drunk and then you probably just f*ck the wrong person anyway.

Which song do you feel the audience enjoyed the most during the concert?

Mika: "'The Origin of Love' felt good. There was another love song I wanted to try, called" Under the Water ", but I dropped. I do not know why. Maybe because there were technical problems at the start of the concert . But my performances with "the Origin of Love" was almost six minutes long, and I really enjoyed it. long intro, it starts, it gets so big and even bigger before it becomes small again. The song is a bold musical statement. there is much music and singing in it. and you must remember that it is a very compact case to soak in for the first time. But the audience took it to their heart. it was also the first time I performed with it.

Yes you mention that on the stage!

Mika: "(laughs) I do not know if it was due to stress or whether it was an excuse. If everything went to completely wrong, then you knew why."

People also liked “celebrate”

Mika: "Yes, definitely, but I didnt think much about it, because I’ve played once before. But it's a big change. I make big changes. And I know I’ve to make the changes perfect. I’m on my third album and make alternative pop. it is my responsibility as a musician to make bold statements, to make things that are contradictory in a way. that is what I do. "

What was the best about making your third album?

Mika: That I had fun

What was so fun?

Mika: "It was fun not to be alone. I had Nick Little More to have fun with. I had Pharrell Williams, and some guys that I found on the web. A 22-year-old who never had made a major release before. I heard him (FrYars) online, visited him at his mother. A week after I took him to the States. 'Come with me. We make music and have fun. "the whole concept of the album was to make happy and alternative pop music . to make alternative pop music is a Contradiction. But it can be done. When I think of artists that I love ... for example, Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, and Beck. I see Beck do 'Odelay' and watch him go into a shop to buy his own album, because he makes music for himself. All of us in the studio are doing music for ourselves. We are grown men who make happy pop music for ourselves. And it is never a bad thing

Can you feel the joy of the album?

Mika: Yes, you can. There’s much joy at the album. It's very inspired by the Bee Gees, Fleetwod Mac and french house from the 90s. And you can sense the sincerity of the album. And it was nice not being alone.

I have to listen again The Origin Of Love maybe with a better audio quality to give an opinion...for now i like the lyrics

Happy Ending will never disappoint me: it's too beautiful and everytime he changes something (like the tone of high note in that case)

Can't wait to see the rest!!

Love You When I'm Drunk will be on the album, thats GREAT news:biggrin2:

and he's right about It's Oh So Quiet, that's my favorite Bjork Song.

thanks for translating Helena:thumb_yello:

He needs to learn how to pronounce "origin."

:roftl: Glad to see you back! :biggrin2:

From what I hear it is a great song - I hope we'll get better recorded versions soon but it sounds good to me as a song - way better and more original than Celebrate.

Edited by suzie

Wow! Mika's hair grew back quickly. He doesn't need the hat anymore. Has anyone got a better quality video of TOOL? It sounds pretty awesome till the drums come in and then that's all I can hear:(

MY OH MY, I LOVE The Origin Of Love! Especially the intro and last 2 minutes or so, and the lyrics are great! Thank you so much for uploading. :wub2:

And thank you for the shirtless pics as well, we're all eternally grateful :naughty: