Secret listening party in Milan!

robertina

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

me too, it's rappish enough not to appeal to me.

but maybe I'm too old :wink2:

I share your opinion about that one (probably I'm too old too)!

:wink2: Never say never!! I was never into rapping either, in fact I said that I hated it, and then last year I inexplicably got into Example in the craziest way, to the point that I've gone to a good few of his gigs lately and LOVED every second of it :naughty:

It all depends (IMO) on how the rapping is done, how it's combined, and how it fits in with the rest of the song and what type of mellody it has...It can be a really great addition to a song in some cases, I find.

This is fantastic that you can all be Mika's hairdressers, and Robi, I agree about the hat - MIKA TAKE IT OFF!!

Also it will be interesting to hear the difference between your first impressions now and then when you hear the songs again - Mika's songs have a habit of growing on us, even when we don't like the first listen. I remember I didn't like Rain very much, but when he tweaked it around, it became one of my live favourites.

So the MYH version was the same one you heard already or different? Emily sounds really fun....:aah: I really miss Mika on this side of the world. You Europeans are very lucky :wub2:

So the MYH version was the same one you heard already or different? Emily sounds really fun....:aah: I really miss Mika on this side of the world. You Europeans are very lucky :wub2:

Emily is so funny... I looked around me and saw people smiling and laughing (in a good way) because it's just so funny :naughty:

So you missed it? :huh: That's terrible!! So sorry to hear that.

Tks :blush-anim-cl:

The worst thing is that I missed a special opportunity, this was really a special one, much more special than a concert, not for the fact that Mika was there (he was there after the concert, too), but for the fact that this kind of occasions are so rare.

Then we would have been together, each of us adding pieces to this kaleidoscope of feelings.

Ok, stop then.<forgetthemailforgetthemailforgetthemailforgetthemailforgetthemail>.

Secret listening? Which listening? :aah:

Sorry to hear you missed it :(

I love Coldplay too :) about bass and dancy stuff I usually prefer quite songs with no too dancy but happier sound :mf_rosetinted:

Maybe I'm wrong but they couldnt bring a guest so they were probably only 10 (only 3 showed up cause they were near Milan).

Tks Sara :huglove:

Anyway reading your reports I really feel better!

LOL, no, I think it's just to match the music as Elle me dit did! Very smart choice, let me say :wink2:

Yeah, nice that he has chosen to keep the same sound!!

Do you remember any of you the refrain??

You told us that the sound was not so good, maybe it was not easy?

just want to say how lucky I felt to have this special opportunity. After waiting for the album for such a long time it's difficult to describe how amazing it felt when Mika took his laptop and started to play songs telling about making of them. Some things are just priceless :wub2:

Yes you know we had such an amazing experience in 2009 hearing the songs at the Roxy for the first time and I thought Lovebox was a bit of a letdown in comparison. There were only 2 songs and we'd already heard the recorded versions.

But this is really something special. I've been hoping he would do this for years. (And suggesting it to anyone who would listen. :mf_rosetinted:)

I agree Deb, but I also think they want the album to be talked and discussed, and that fans spread the word to raise expectation.

This is good, I think, and a way to get free advertisement :naughty:

so let's start buzzing around! :thumb_yello:

Oh absolutely! Totally agree with that! :thumb_yello:

I don't know how it works everywhere else but I know that in France they have musical premieres with hairdressers in the audience so that they spread the word about the show around Paris. You are Mika's hairdressers :roftl:

:lmfao: Love that! smileys-hairdresser-038505.gif

then I say: TAKE OFF THAT HAT!!!!! NOW AND FOR GOOD!!!

:lmfao:

Yes, please! :pray:

really tired, but i gotta write down what i remember about the songs and what he said, based on the notes i took, as long as my memories are fresh...

the songs we already know were basically like the live versions, there was nothing i missed compared to the live versions.

Step with me:

he wrote it during that songwriter workshop in the french castle which name he couldn't remember. :teehee: together with a woman (her name has been mentioned here), in a damp room in that castle. he said there were many different rooms, beautiful ones and not so beautiful ones, and they got the worst one, with mice running over the mantlepiece. so they wanted to make an "easy" song. he said it's about describing a love, like, the steps you take with a lover, and then in the end realizing that you don't know this person at all and it was all just in your head. it's a mid-tempo song with a big sounding chorus, and it put a HUGE smile on my face, i absolutely loved it!!! in the chorus he counts down the steps from one to six (3 first, then another short part in between, then the other 3). what i understood from the lyrics was "step one - come a little closer ... step two - you can rest on my shoulder" (or something along those lines) - and i've also written down the lyrics part "three steps three steps - three steps for loving me". i'm sure if he had played that song not as the 3rd song but towards the end i'd remember the melody, i found it very catchy! maybe it comes back to me in the next days, i really hope so, i want to hear that song again asap, and if it's only in my head. :wub2:

Stardust

it has a catchy melody, with an electronic david guetta style (imo) sound in the background. i even remember a bit of the chorus melody - well i think i do... if you want i can play those few notes on the piano tomorrow (if i still remember it then :teehee:) and put it on youtube - but no guarantee that it's correct! :naughty: chorus lyrics, from what i understood: "put a little stardust in your eyes, put a little sunshine in your life, give me a little heart to feel the same ..." and another lyrics line he was singing several times (think it's the last line of the song too) was "when will i see you again".

underwater

i love how in the end the "underwater, underwater, i can live underwater" part is mixed with the "underwateeeeeerrrrrr" - the band also does that for the live version but it comes out more clearly in the recorded version. i had goosebumps when he played underwater, it's SO beautiful! :wub2: in the second verse he started with "flying through a bright blue sky", that's different from what he currently sings live. if that makes sense at all, the next line might be "with a spaceball high" - it's funny cause i also understood spaceball in the live version, and now it suddenly made sense for me.

kids

mid-tempo song, i liked the melody of the bridge. can't remember anything else about it though.

emily

the lyrics are similar to the english version of elle me dit from schaffhausen, but he also changed some bits. the first lines are still the same, "get your a** to number one", LOL! later it's "pourquoi tu gaches ta vie" 2x, then another line that i didn't understand, and then he sang "dance with me emily!" instead of the "danse danse danse elle me dit danse" - that was so funny i burst out laughing when i heard it for the first time! :lmfao:

Popular

that was my other fave of the yet unheard songs, besides step with me. it started with a rap of priscilla renea and mika, and i first was like :blink: MIKA RAPPING?! :shocked: ... it soon turned into a nice melody though - there's some more rap in the song, but more melodic parts than rap. it's a very happy sounding mid-tempo song with a beat that i really like, it goes "looong, short, short, short" - hard to describe with words, lol! mika said at some point that it was about bullying, and recited a few lines of the lyrics, it was a great bit of lyrics but can't remember now. it included that "popular corn" bit though, that he had tweeted a few months ago.

Heroes

the only song i didn't like much. mika said it was a VERY raw version though, and he only played half of the song to us (more than the 30 seconds he first announced though :teehee:) - maybe he does something interesting with it, but atm i find it rather boring.

alright, that's it for now, now OFF TO BED, gotta get up in 5 hours! :aah:

I agree Deb, but I also think they want the album to be talked and discussed, and that fans spread the word to raise expectation.

This is good, I think, and a way to get free advertisement :naughty:

so let's start buzzing around! :thumb_yello:

that was my thought as well :naughty:

buzz buzzzzz

I don't know how it works everywhere else but I know that in France they have musical premieres with hairdressers in the audience so that they spread the word about the show around Paris. You are Mika's hairdressers :roftl:

haha love the comparison!

Tks for the report, Rob & Sara, you help me to survive to the news that I've just had: I had won the contest, the Mika Italia one.

I've discovered just now that people from Universal sent the mail only this morning!!

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

My second concert, the first one as MFcer, my first picture with the curly one, and above all the meeting with Roberta, Mari, Orietta, Mauri, Lucrezia, Nerys and Allegra, maybe too many things at the meantime!!

:aah:

By the way, suggestions to forget that 10.08 mail?

Wine, tons of nicorette :aah:, hammer on my head?

Why can't I "predict the future" and above all can't "erase the past"?

:doh:

oh nooooo!! I'm really sorry to hear that!! :huglove:

Thanks Karin for the detailed report! I admire how clearly you can remember everything! Lol, we have very different views of his new songs! Your two favorites are two mine least favorites :teehee: And I thought the songs we already knew are very different recorded (especially UW which is so vulnerable live). I absolutely love it how he told about making of songs :wub2::wub2:

I still feel dazed after Vigevano and the listening session, but, as I can't sleep, I'll try to write a report:

I was the last one entering the room, where everyone was already sitting and the music playing; I had a seat and started listening.

After the song finished, I heard someone talking from the right corner and I realized it was Mika :shocked:

I expected him to be there, but I hadn't seen him, while I was entering the room.

It was a very pleasant surprise :wub2:

It was also great discovering, that he was playing unfinished and even raw songs from his own laptop :fangurl:

It was really surreal, I was sitting there wondering, whether I was daydreaming or was awake.

About the songs:

of course don't forget these are just impressions, I don't think one can judge a song after one listen, and the audio was too loud to fully enjoy Mika's voice and the melodies and get well the lyrics.

The Origin of Love and Lola are basically the versions we already know, and I like them very much

Emily: I usually don't like English versions of French songs and vice versa, and Emily makes no exception to me, IMO the English language doesn't fit well into that sound/tempo.

The lyrics sound funny though, so I'll give it a try when the album comes out.

Underwater: as Mellody pointed out, there was a different line.

It's one of my favourites among the new songs, I find the live version more heartfelt though.

The unheard song I like most was the one which reminded me of Simon and Garfunkel, don't know the title :doh: help :aah:

The rest of the tracks are pleasant and catchy at first listen, but I have to listen to them again in order to tell more.

@Robi great question, I was wondering the same, loved his reply :naughty:

@Mellody Thank you very much for the setlist and for reporting Mika's introduction to the songs! I couldn't understand everything he said, coz he was speaking with a low voice and I wasn't near him.

The atmosphere was vey familiar, I could see Mrs P and Yasmine (I think it was her) following the rhythm of the songs.

Unfortunately he was in a hurry so afterwards he just answered a couple of questions and went away, no time to talk to him, I enjoyed a drink and a chat with a few of the guests.

I'd like to hugely thank Mika, his management and Universal for this special and unique opportunity, I really feel honored for being there, it was an unexpected bonus, a dream come true, I still can't believe it happened!

Edited by mari62

really tired, but i gotta write down what i remember about the songs and what he said, based on the notes i took, as long as my memories are fresh...

the songs we already know were basically like the live versions, there was nothing i missed compared to the live versions.

Step with me:

he wrote it during that songwriter workshop in the french castle which name he couldn't remember. :teehee: together with a woman (her name has been mentioned here), in a damp room in that castle. he said there were many different rooms, beautiful ones and not so beautiful ones, and they got the worst one, with mice running over the mantlepiece. so they wanted to make an "easy" song. he said it's about describing a love, like, the steps you take with a lover, and then in the end realizing that you don't know this person at all and it was all just in your head. it's a mid-tempo song with a big sounding chorus, and it put a HUGE smile on my face, i absolutely loved it!!! in the chorus he counts down the steps from one to six (3 first, then another short part in between, then the other 3). what i understood from the lyrics was "step one - come a little closer ... step two - you can rest on my shoulder" (or something along those lines) - and i've also written down the lyrics part "three steps three steps - three steps for loving me". i'm sure if he had played that song not as the 3rd song but towards the end i'd remember the melody, i found it very catchy! maybe it comes back to me in the next days, i really hope so, i want to hear that song again asap, and if it's only in my head. :wub2:

Stardust

it has a catchy melody, with an electronic david guetta style (imo) sound in the background. i even remember a bit of the chorus melody - well i think i do... if you want i can play those few notes on the piano tomorrow (if i still remember it then :teehee:) and put it on youtube - but no guarantee that it's correct! :naughty: chorus lyrics, from what i understood: "put a little stardust in your eyes, put a little sunshine in your life, give me a little heart to feel the same ..." and another lyrics line he was singing several times (think it's the last line of the song too) was "when will i see you again".

underwater

i love how in the end the "underwater, underwater, i can live underwater" part is mixed with the "underwateeeeeerrrrrr" - the band also does that for the live version but it comes out more clearly in the recorded version. i had goosebumps when he played underwater, it's SO beautiful! :wub2: in the second verse he started with "flying through a bright blue sky", that's different from what he currently sings live. if that makes sense at all, the next line might be "with a spaceball high" - it's funny cause i also understood spaceball in the live version, and now it suddenly made sense for me.

kids

mid-tempo song, i liked the melody of the bridge. can't remember anything else about it though.

emily

the lyrics are similar to the english version of elle me dit from schaffhausen, but he also changed some bits. the first lines are still the same, "get your a** to number one", LOL! later it's "pourquoi tu gaches ta vie" 2x, then another line that i didn't understand, and then he sang "dance with me emily!" instead of the "danse danse danse elle me dit danse" - that was so funny i burst out laughing when i heard it for the first time! :lmfao:

Popular

that was my other fave of the yet unheard songs, besides step with me. it started with a rap of priscilla renea and mika, and i first was like :blink: MIKA RAPPING?! :shocked: ... it soon turned into a nice melody though - there's some more rap in the song, but more melodic parts than rap. it's a very happy sounding mid-tempo song with a beat that i really like, it goes "looong, short, short, short" - hard to describe with words, lol! mika said at some point that it was about bullying, and recited a few lines of the lyrics, it was a great bit of lyrics but can't remember now. it included that "popular corn" bit though, that he had tweeted a few months ago.

Heroes

the only song i didn't like much. mika said it was a VERY raw version though, and he only played half of the song to us (more than the 30 seconds he first announced though :teehee:) - maybe he does something interesting with it, but atm i find it rather boring.

alright, that's it for now, now OFF TO BED, gotta get up in 5 hours! :aah:

Absolutely excellent review, thanks to everyone :wub2:

What an amazing opportunity! Thanks for the reports girls, I'm getting quite excited for the album now.

I'd heard rumours that Stardust was really good so it's nice to hear your reports about it. I prefer 'dancey' Mika tbh. I love make you happy but to be perfectly frank, underwater really doesn't do much for me & I'm hoping Celebrate wont be the first single in the uk as I don't think it will get much AirPlay. It sounds a bit too Black Lace '80s party to me but who am I to say. :mf_rosetinted:

I can't wait to hear the proper versions though and thanks for bringing the songs to life :D

What an amazing opportunity! Thanks for the reports girls, I'm getting quite excited for the album now.

I'd heard rumours that Stardust was really good so it's nice to hear your reports about it. I prefer 'dancey' Mika tbh. I love make you happy but to be perfectly frank, underwater really doesn't do much for me & I'm hoping Celebrate wont be the first single in the uk as I don't think it will get much AirPlay. It sounds a bit too Black Lace '80s party to me but who am I to say. :mf_rosetinted:

I can't wait to hear the proper versions though and thanks for bringing the songs to life :D

I'm also hoping it won't be Celebrate. But it probably will be because they've filmed the vid for it. Up to now, since I don't know, yet, those newer songs, I'd say it should be Origin (my 1st choice) or Uw (my 2nd choice) for the 1st single in the UK.

But who knows. Celebrate may be a hit, but imho it's a big gamble.

A big Thank you all the report writers, for your keeping us all in the loop. It's great to hear your opinions of the new songs. I'm so glad you all enjoyed yourselves. But then again, how could you not have done!

i just remembered, he said at the beginning that so far he's the only one in the world who has the record, on his laptop, and that's why *he* is playing the songs to us himself. something along those lines. :teehee: as if he had to excuse it to us that he was there! :lmfao:

i just remembered, he said at the beginning that so far he's the only one in the world who has the record, on his laptop, and that's why *he* is playing the songs to us himself. something along those lines. :teehee: as if he had to excuse it to us that he was there! :lmfao:

oh yes....I hope this is not a problem, as he HAS TO finish it in 2 -say two - weeks at Abbey Road! :lmfao:

back home at 22:30 pm, very tired but happy! :wink2:

I can only add that Mika was wearing a white and black checks shirt and wore new shoes as seen in the picture posted on twitter! :)

For my part, I love The Origin of Love, Lola, Stardust and Underwater! :wub2:

To end up a great thanks to all those who have been working to make it happened! :huglove:

@mellody Thank you very much for your detailed and factual report:thumb_yello:

Step with me:

it's a mid-tempo song with a big sounding chorus, and it put a HUGE smile on my face, i absolutely loved it!!! in the chorus he counts down the steps from one to six (3 first, then another short part in between, then the other 3). what i understood from the lyrics was "step one - come a little closer ... step two - you can rest on my shoulder" (or something along those lines) - and i've also written down the lyrics part "three steps three steps - three steps for loving me".

... I must tell you that the way you describe it reminds me of 'Step by Step NKOTB (I'm sure you remember that one:teehee:), especially since @tiibet wrote that 2-3 songs sounded 'boybandish' (:rolls_eyes:) and the overall sound is more commercial than the first two albums.... So now I'm starting to think I won't like some of these songs:aah:

underwater

i love how in the end the "underwater, underwater, i can live underwater" part is mixed with the "underwateeeeeerrrrrr" - the band also does that for the live version but it comes out more clearly in the recorded version.

yes, these multi-voices are the key to the uniqueness of this song, you can also get this from the live version (I mean, get what it may end up sounding like on record) :thumb_yello:

the next line might be "with a spaceball high" - it's funny cause i also understood spaceball in the live version, and now it suddenly made sense for me.

I think it could be 'spaceborn' high

emily

Is the sound exactly the same though?

I may have further questions later, need to go now :teehee: