Mika: Falling in love freed me to be gay and proud (16 September 2012)

dcdeb

Mika decided to reveal he was gay after falling in love gave him the confidence to come clean.

By Andrei Harmsworth - 16th September, 2012

The 29-year-old said his confession, made to Guilty Pleasures last month, came from a place of ‘confidence and joy’ which gave him the strength to deal with any fall-out from his Lebanese family.

‘I was scared of not being accepted by my family,’ he said. ‘No one in my family is gay. No one in my extended family is gay.

‘It was a very foreign alien thing. You’re scared of being judged. Then you realise there is nothing to be afraid of if you are happy. I fell in love. I lost love. I got it again.

‘I started living my life and got to a point where I was like “You know what, I’ve lived my life and never pretended to be anything else”.

‘I’m doing this from a place of confidence and joy. So why not? Because it is important.’

Hitting his stride, the Grace Kelly singer said: ‘I’m not afraid any more because I am quite happy and quite confident.

‘When I did the Metro interview, I thought, “Let’s do this. I want to do this myself”. I made the decision. When I finally did it, did it make me nervous? Yes. Do I think it was important? Yes. Was I afraid in anyway? No. Zero per cent. Because there was no fear involved, I knew it was the right thing to do.’

The star also told how playground bullies held him back at school.

‘As a person, I am quite guarded. I’m quite secretive. I’ve always been that way. I think it’s because I had a hard time at school, so I protected myself by shutting the f*** up because I’d be hit.’

As a teenager, Mika said he felt ‘ostracised’ from the people around him and he did not know how the ‘weight around his shoulders’ would ever be lifted.

To break free he decided he needed a ‘get out plan’ which came in the form of music.

‘I won’t hide it. It was my catalyst. Melody was my obsession. Identity and fear were my fuel.’ The singer said he would not talk about his boyfriends except through his songs as he said he was still ‘very guarded’ about his private life.

‘The lyrics are all about me,’ he explained and warned his exes to watch out for a few surprises.

‘It’s always hard. When you write songs, it’s always quite a selfish process. It’s always at the expense of someone. Even if the song is about you, it’s always going to involve someone else.

‘So it feels like you are sacrificing people a little bit but you hope maybe if the song is good enough, they’ll forgive you.’ Rumours surrounding Mika’s sexuality have been rife since he broke on to the music scene in 2007.

His third album The Origin Of Love will be released on October 8.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/showbiz/912146-mika-falling-in-love-freed-me-to-be-gay-and-proud#ixzz26ftM84cv

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting Deb :flowers2:

This is quite a serious interview...

I guess it's always hard to be true to yourself when you are surrounded by a large family with strict tradition/history. But he did what he had to do to move forward with his life.:blush-anim-cl:

Thanks for posting Deb :flowers2:

This is quite a serious interview...

I guess it's always hard to be true to yourself when you are surrounded by a large family with strict tradition/history. But he did what he had to do to move forward with his life.:blush-anim-cl:

You're right... What an interesting interview

‘As a person, I am quite guarded. I’m quite secretive. I’ve always been that way. I think it’s because I had a hard time at school, so I protected myself by shutting the f*** up because I’d be hit.’

That's always been pretty obvious and it's a shame. I mean he's been right to keep himself isolated from the media who could have made his life a misery if things had been different early in his career. But I hope he just generally relaxes a bit and doesn't worry about it so much.

What a beautiful interview, thank you for posting it, Deb!

Isn't it the first time he talks about his "fears" being related to his family, when it comes to the gay issue? I don't remember reading about it before. I can imagine how hard it can be, because family sometimes are the craziest people you have to deal with, in any case. :teehee:

And it always makes me :huh: when he talks about the hard time he had at school. These kids are pure s*.

But I hope he just generally relaxes a bit and doesn't worry about it so much.

It seems to me that he feels very well about it and even more relaxed every time we read something new. :wub2:

Isn't it the first time he talks about his "fears" being related to his family, when it comes to the gay issue? I don't remember reading about it before. I can imagine how hard it can be, because family sometimes are the craziest people you have to deal with, in any case. :teehee:

It's the first time I hear him talk about it... other than in «Stuck in the middle» (my interpretation of the song at least).

And it always makes me :huh: when he talks about the hard time he had at school. These kids are pure s*.

and it makes me :huh: how "popular" kids in school treat different others kids way aggressively and I don't understand why they do it and keeping doing :mf_rosetinted: they are just kids wanting happiness :tears:

QQAAAL6N_EG4TSviVRH2jlCw82uYTo9CwHfrlpCT5IMWfEXWxgwS7zuFkZHYLjplVxgTNUHEH9I5oZesD8CpfWKOVKXoZQs1wOwcUAFwYLp03qIPAJtU9VDXqRo7zBZbe3YCYc5in73lfQUJVg.jpg

Anyway I am very happy and proud of him have overcome everything and become a winner not only in fame and fortune, but on what is important in life as acceptance and feel comfortable and happy :biggrin2:

QQAAAL6N_EG4TSviVRH2jlCw82vw4r-Q-fo2LPNOmpa9yH33Rvrd7_1KrJ5l_HinxUZhJK1nGIrLdUSvYhhNzQ5oO_55Bve3ToWiTpT6oT8oR9IzAJtU9VCBjarJt7VW-Bpmo24TF-KNLITb1w.jpg

Does anyone else think that the reason it feels so different is that it's not cloaked in metaphors or full of cagey replies. It's like he was asked questions and didn't need to to plan each response.

Free indeed! :wub2:

Thank you, Deb! It's a pleasure to read such open and relaxed interview. I hated all these rumours and I hope everything will stop now and journalists are going to be more concentrated on his music and performances.

I always thought that him being so secretive about it was an attitude, not fear. I guess I was wrong or I wanted to believe differently.:dunno:

Children can be so cruel. I never understand this. At school, we fight so much for the children who are different to be accepted and it's a real struggle. You need tons of patience and talking, talking, talking with both sides. I admire Mika so much because he somehow found strength to overcome his bad childhood experience and now when you see him as an adult you would never say that he had so many problems. He has such a strong personality. We can see when he is uncertain or nervous, but that's because we are stalkers.:mf_rosetinted: I think he seems to others like a very confident person.

It's the first time I hear him talk about it... other than in «Stuck in the middle» (my interpretation of the song at least).

Yep, same here :wink2:... This is really good to hear. He has seemed a lot more chilled and open about all this lately, which is fantastic to see. I am glad that he finally feels like he can let it all out and 'just be'.