Mika confirms new single 'Origin of Love'

DerMoment1608

Can't say I've heard Celebrate played in Australia a lot either, but strangely enough I did hear it in a furniture store last month whilst out shopping. Got some strange looks from the family and the salesman when I did a little freak out and started dancing.

I'm wondering what the next single for us is going to be.

I heard it in Diva in mid September... I made my fiancee stop while I stood in the doorway and giggled... :teehee:

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...

That's confusing! It was always going to be Lola. Then I saw 'includes singles celebrate and stardust' on TOOL albums for sale. The video for 'next single' Underwater is about to be released. And now apparently the next single will be OOL! Can he not make up his mind? I'd go for Stardust!:mikadas:

Can't say I've heard Celebrate played in Australia a lot either, but strangely enough I did hear it in a furniture store last month whilst out shopping. Got some strange looks from the family and the salesman when I did a little freak out and started dancing.

I'm wondering what the next single for us is going to be.

Can't say I've heard it played even once in the UK. But I heard it on a bus at 2 am in Iceland (don't ask!). Needless to say, I got a few strange looks when I got excited about it!

Stardust would have been better to get more played on the radio but I'm soooo happy TOOL get to be in te spotlights :'D

I love Stardust, but would sooner have Origin as the single. My reason for saying that is because Stardust (to me) is a lot like Love Today from LICM. Its what I'd call, Vintage Mika, which is great, but I want listeners to realise he's capable of writing different kinds of songs, and has moved on from the falsetto choruses. Origin is a song with a lot more going for it. Its catchy, a good song to dance to, it's got the chant, and some interesting lyrics. Its a song that takes us on a journey, more so than Stardust.

That's why I'm glad its the single. Although I would have been happy with Uw, if the video is as good as they say it is.

I'm so glad that OOL be the second single in UK!!!!:thumb_yello: This must be the big hit song!!!!But what about UW???MIKA already shot UW vid,that's mean UW will be the single too,hope Uw will be another single in UK or US.:wub2:

Better choice for UK than Underwater, but Stardust would have been better.

I would like to see him promote it with a version as close to the recorded version as possible, none of this acoustic stuff. It did not work for Celebrate and it won't work for this. If that means singing to a backing track then so be it. Just my opinion.

Hmmm...

That's confusing! It was always going to be Lola. Then I saw 'includes singles celebrate and stardust' on TOOL albums for sale. The video for 'next single' Underwater is about to be released. And now apparently the next single will be OOL! Can he not make up his mind? I'd go for Stardust!:mikadas:

I expected Stardust would be better choice for next single.. about OOL...well these days I'm questioning like that song is not for Mika's voice range.. thought it could be better to give this song to another artist (female) to make it boost up. On some live Mika didn't touch quite a few low notes and sounded uncomfortable... If fail to touch notes on TV live... it's a disaster and it happened a lot during OOL live on TV.

I expected Stardust would be better choice for next single.. about OOL...well these days I'm questioning like that song is not for Mika's voice range.. thought it could be better to give this song to another artist (female) to make it boost up. On some live Mika didn't touch quite a few low notes and sounded uncomfortable... If fail to touch notes on TV live... it's a disaster and it happened a lot during OOL live on TV.

I also find it falls a bit flat on TV. The gig performances are fun but the TV version is too toned down and doesn't illustrste his great range. Any mediocre singer could pull pff a similar performance and Mika is not a mediocre singer. :aah:

I can honestly say that I have never heard any MIKA song played on the radio ever. But I live in the middle of nowhere. :)

Just my opinion... I think they will release UW in the US. I think they are a little cautious about releasing TOOL as a single here. I never give much hope to ever hearing a MIKA song on US radio. He just isn't mainstream enough and that's what I love about him. He stays true to who he is.

I also find it falls a bit flat on TV. The gig performances are fun but the TV version is too toned down and doesn't illustrste his great range. Any mediocre singer could pull pff a similar performance and Mika is not a mediocre singer. :aah:

Yeah that's it.... after some OOL live on TV, many fans screamed 'awwwww ' but i thought OOL is flat and boring when performed on TV or radio, lacks energy ... even it seemed like Mika himself didn't feel comportable with singing this, could see that he's nervous while singing that...His face was like 'I should touch that note! please! work my damn voice!!' things... :aah: That made me feel like walking on the rope alone :mf_rosetinted:

OOL has loads of layers, but Mika's voice shines with simplified sounds becuase he's voice itself is a great instrument.

OOL requires relatively narrow voice range to sing it and require more lower voice, but Mika has amazing falsetto and has great skill to change voices from bottom to top.

Mika's great and OOL the song is great too. but after listening some TV live I started to think they're not good partner for each other :aah:

Better choice for UK than Underwater, but Stardust would have been better.

I would like to see him promote it with a version as close to the recorded version as possible, none of this acoustic stuff. It did not work for Celebrate and it won't work for this. If that means singing to a backing track then so be it. Just my opinion.

Yes, Stardust would have been better. And I agree about performing something closer to the recorded version, that's what people expect to hear.

He can save the acoustic versions for Later :wink2:

Yes, Stardust would have been better. And I agree about performing something closer to the recorded version, that's what people expect to hear.

He can save the acoustic versions for Later :wink2:

So many ppl agree on Stardus to be single...

I wonder who had picked single songs so far.... (Mika himself?:mf_rosetinted:)

I think there were better songs for the single but i thought the acoustic celebrate was amazing i think it just didn't catch on :( I thought maybe love you when im drunk ?

He can save acoustics for own gigs, please..

and on TV show he should be more prepared and put some prepared theatrical performance.. I love his organic performence but to shine in front of TV camera, more prepared and calculated on every movement.

I really, really don't think OOL will work as a single! :shocked: Leaving aside for a moment the fact that I don't personally like it terribly much, it just doesn't have enough spark to be a single. It does have some good parts (the chanting is good) but it kind of bounces off the ear harmlessly. There's not enough of an earworm experience when I hear it to make me think it's really going to get into people's heads and make them unable to get rid of it.

I think Underwater and Stardust are stronger songs and I'm excited to think he's done a video for Underwater. In my mind that says Yes, it will be a single somewhere (it wouldn't make sense to put money into making a video if it were not going to be a single, right?) and I think it could catch people's imaginations in a way that I don't think OOL would.

Having said that... there is some terrible crap on the radio these days and it keeps charting and people keep buying it so there's no accounting for taste at times, I'm afraid.

I really, really don't think OOL will work as a single! :shocked: Leaving aside for a moment the fact that I don't personally like it terribly much, it just doesn't have enough spark to be a single. It does have some good parts (the chanting is good) but it kind of bounces off the ear harmlessly. There's not enough of an earworm experience when I hear it to make me think it's really going to get into people's heads and make them unable to get rid of it.

I think Underwater and Stardust are stronger songs and I'm excited to think he's done a video for Underwater. In my mind that says Yes, it will be a single somewhere (it wouldn't make sense to put money into making a video if it were not going to be a single, right?) and I think it could catch people's imaginations in a way that I don't think OOL would.

Having said that... there is some terrible crap on the radio these days and it keeps charting and people keep buying it so there's no accounting for taste at times, I'm afraid.

I agree with you. He's made the Uw vid, so why not release it as the single everywhere? It's a great song. I don't think Origin will work without good radio-play and since R1 have basically disowned Mika, and only R2 are really behind him, he can't rely on radio to sell his song. The video is the way to go, but not that yawnfest that is the short indie film. So I hope we get a better video, then at least Origin will have a chance.

No new info really... just more confirmation of the 3rd December date.

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=83952

LONDON, UK (Top40 Charts/ Purple PR) Multi-platinum pop-star MIKA releases his brand new single 'Origin of Love' on 3rd December 2012 via Island Records.

'Origin of Love' is taken from his brand new album 'The Origin of Love' which, since release in October, has been Top 10 in 15 countries across Europe, selling over 500,000 copies so far and reaching No 1 in France, taking Mika's career album sales to 9 million. Meanwhile Mika has achieved his first hit album in the USA, going into the iTunes Top Ten on week of release and hitting the No1 spot on the US iTunes Pop Chart.

'The Origin of Love' album has been a critical success on both sides of the Atlantic. The Guardian gave the album 4 stars calling him 'one of the UK's most underrated songwriters'whilst Q Magazine also gave it a 4 star review describing the album as 'persuasive, likeable, grown-up pop'.

Completely self-created and self-imagined, 'The Origin of Love' has been a two-year DIY labour of love for Mika who has put together everything on the record himself, flying around the world under his own steam personally assembling an incredible roll call of collaborators - in addition to Nick Littlemore and Pharrell Williams Mika has also worked with Benny Benassi, FrYars, Greg Wells (Katy Perry, Adele), Klas Ahlund (Robyn's Body Talk) as well as working with some brand new unsigned musicians he found himself online.

This summer has also seen Mika play a live set at the Olympic Games and discuss the Opening Ceremony live on BBC Newsnight.

Mika is currently on a sell-out European tour that has seen him play to over 200,000 fans this summer and recently returned to the UK to headline a storming set at Lovebox and his own show at Heaven which The Guardian gave a 4 star review saying 'Mika played the pop star to perfection'.

Mika returns to play the following UK shows in December:

Thursday 13th December - London Roundhouse

Friday 14th December - Manchester HMV Ritz

Sunday 16th December - Glasgow O2 ABC

http://bit.ly/MikaOfficial

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/MikaFacebook

Twitter: http://bit.ly/MikaTwitter #theoriginoflove

Watch Mika perform 'Origin of Love' live on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5V8k04oAfc

Deb you can also post it in a "Mika is boycotted in the UK" thread )) to show he`s not.

It will take more than one online announcement to prove that.

When I see he is booked on Alan Carr, Jonathan Ross, Jools Holland and Graham Nortons tv shows, and Nick Grimshaws breakfast show then I will believe it.

No new info really... just more confirmation of the 3rd December date.

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=83952

LONDON, UK (Top40 Charts/ Purple PR) Multi-platinum pop-star MIKA releases his brand new single 'Origin of Love' on 3rd December 2012 via Island Records.

'Origin of Love' is taken from his brand new album 'The Origin of Love' which, since release in October, has been Top 10 in 15 countries across Europe, selling over 500,000 copies so far and reaching No 1 in France, taking Mika's career album sales to 9 million. Meanwhile Mika has achieved his first hit album in the USA, going into the iTunes Top Ten on week of release and hitting the No1 spot on the US iTunes Pop Chart.

'The Origin of Love' album has been a critical success on both sides of the Atlantic. The Guardian gave the album 4 stars calling him 'one of the UK's most underrated songwriters'whilst Q Magazine also gave it a 4 star review describing the album as 'persuasive, likeable, grown-up pop'.

Completely self-created and self-imagined, 'The Origin of Love' has been a two-year DIY labour of love for Mika who has put together everything on the record himself, flying around the world under his own steam personally assembling an incredible roll call of collaborators - in addition to Nick Littlemore and Pharrell Williams Mika has also worked with Benny Benassi, FrYars, Greg Wells (Katy Perry, Adele), Klas Ahlund (Robyn's Body Talk) as well as working with some brand new unsigned musicians he found himself online.

This summer has also seen Mika play a live set at the Olympic Games and discuss the Opening Ceremony live on BBC Newsnight.

Mika is currently on a sell-out European tour that has seen him play to over 200,000 fans this summer and recently returned to the UK to headline a storming set at Lovebox and his own show at Heaven which The Guardian gave a 4 star review saying 'Mika played the pop star to perfection'.

Mika returns to play the following UK shows in December:

Thursday 13th December - London Roundhouse

Friday 14th December - Manchester HMV Ritz

Sunday 16th December - Glasgow O2 ABC

http://bit.ly/MikaOfficial

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/MikaFacebook

Twitter: http://bit.ly/MikaTwitter #theoriginoflove

Watch Mika perform 'Origin of Love' live on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5V8k04oAfc

This is just the sort of publicity Mika needs right now! Who wrote this article? It's so great and just right! Its made my day.

This is just the sort of publicity Mika needs right now! Who wrote this article? It's so great and just right! Its made my day.

It's not an article, per se. It's a press release, written by his PR firm, PurplePR.

I've seen it picked up by a couple music blogs this morning. :thumb_yello:

I watched. I was so worried at the beginning of the song. It seemed so... lacking. Lacking all that sound and depth that I associate with the song. I'm so pleased the second half of it seemed to contain all that. I hope the audience all appreciated it.

I watched. I was so worried at the beginning of the song. It seemed so... lacking. Lacking all that sound and depth that I associate with the song. I'm so pleased the second half of it seemed to contain all that. I hope the audience all appreciated it.

I don't know how I feel about OOL. I don't feel it worked quite right on Jay Leno. I understand what he is saying in the song and the story he is trying to convey but I feel most of today's audience wouldn't bother to stick through the entire song and wouldn't really try to understand what he is saying. It's too deep.

Of course, all of us who love MIKA will dig deep into his songs and try to discover what he is telling us. But the casual listener just wants something simple they can sing with. Underwater would be good as a single and IOLYWID and Popular would be perfect singles. They aren't too deep...just catchy...with lyrics that are easy to remember. OOL is just too complicated for a single. In my opinion.