Out100 2012 - Mika. Musician.

dcdeb

out100_2012_Mika.jpg

OUT magazine's annual salute to the year's most compelling people.

Out100: Mika

By Out.com Editors

Musician.

Photography by M. Sharkey

When Life in Cartoon Motion, Mika’s retro-flavored cotton candy explosion of a debut album, came out in 2007, it prompted as much speculation about the Lebanese-born British singer’s sexuality as it did about the future of pop music. But after spending the past five years dodging labels, Mika announced this August that, yes, he is in fact gay, and that the songs on his new LP, The Origin of Love, are about his relationship with a man. The record’s first single, the clubby Pharrell Williams collaboration “Celebrate,” suddenly took on a whole new meaning.

Photographed at Mother at the Trampery in London on September 26, 2012

http://www.out.com/out-exclusives/out100-2012/2012/11/08/out100-mika

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deb thank you for the article ! I haven`t thought of "Celebrate" new meaning))

Why not....

I had thought of that, with Celebrate. But what I love about the songs on the album is that, even though, from his own point of view, he's singing about his boyfriend, or a past boyfriend, his songs describe what happens in any romantic relationship.

The songs arn't gay. They're just written by a musician who just happens to be gay.

We can all identify with one, or more of the songs, no matter what our sexuality is. So I think the album has a great message. We're all exactly the same, when we are in love.

I had thought of that, with Celebrate. But what I love about the songs on the album is that, even though, from his own point of view, he's singing about his boyfriend, or a past boyfriend, his songs describe what happens in any romantic relationship.

The songs arn't gay. They're just written by a musician who just happens to be gay.

We can all identify with one, or more of the songs, no matter what our sexuality is. So I think the album has a great message. We're all exactly the same, when we are in love.

Marilyn you said great! You express my thoughts, almost everytime:thumb_yello: I love your deeper insight of the album.

Wow that photograph is stunning! The shadows on his face remind me of that first promo shoot that also ended up on LICM except this one looks like Mika and not some folk artist circa 1971. :teehee:

But what I love about the songs on the album is that, even though, from his own point of view, he's singing about his boyfriend, or a past boyfriend, his songs describe what happens in any romantic relationship.

I get that sense with everything and not just his music. If Mika just came on the scene now with this album and this image and didn't discuss his sexuality I'm not sure I would assume he was gay as I did in 2007. It was almost like because he couldn't make the simple verbal statement "I'm gay" he expressed it in every other way. And now that he's said it he's free to just be himself and doesn't have to write overt songs about men falling in love with other men or utilize "flamboyant" costumes or wear a penis hat in his videos. :naughty:

Wow that photograph is stunning! The shadows on his face remind me of that first promo shoot that also ended up on LICM except this one looks like Mika and not some folk artist circa 1971. :teehee:

Yes, I posted it without comment, but I was struck by the photo, too -- simple, yet so dramatic, and so MIKA. I love it. :wub2:

I get that sense with everything and not just his music. If Mika just came on the scene now with this album and this image and didn't discuss his sexuality I'm not sure I would assume he was gay as I did in 2007. It was almost like because he couldn't make the simple verbal statement "I'm gay" he expressed it in every other way. And now that he's said it he's free to just be himself and doesn't have to write overt songs about men falling in love with other men or utilize "flamboyant" costumes or wear a penis hat in his videos. :naughty:

I have an older woman friend (she's older than I am, can you imagine? :teehee: ) who actually likes Mika -- one of my few non-MFC friends who even knows who he is. And when she saw his Tonight Show video, she said, "When do you think he's going to catch on in the US? He's so good. And now, with this new image -- I like him a lot better in the white shirt and jeans than in some of the earlier 'costumes.' He seems like a very sincere artist and down-to-earth person." I just thought this was an interesting observation and comment from a "casual" fan. The fact that he's so much more comfortable in his own skin is so apparent.

Yes I agree with that. He was more 'obvious' in the beginning, when he was talking about not labeling himself and then singing about married men, and toys, falling for other guys. But I think that was his way of telling the truth about himself, without actually saying it out loud, because he was not ready to do so then.

I think he's so much more comfortable now he's actually spoken those three little words out loud, its like he breathes a sigh of relief and now he can get on with things. People know for certain he's gay, so he no longer needs the flamboyance to give the game away for him. I love him as he is now. He seems so much happier, and so much more himself, than he's ever been before.

@Julia Thanks for your reply to me. I'm happy you like what I write.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Thank you Deb for that article and picture! He looks gorgeous on it!

:thumb_yello:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...