MIKA in Reykjavik, Iceland December 18, 2012 - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

dcdeb

Thanks, Eriko! I was looking around at local papers today and didn't see anything. You can almost see me in the 3rd photo, to the left of the girl in the front row with red hair. :naughty:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to write a proper report, but a few words about Iceland and the Reykjavik show (will share some pics and maybe vids later).

For the first time ever I was probably more excited about the country/place I visited than the gig itself. Still, traveling to see a concert is the best way to travel and I enjoyed sightseeing Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning and saw the gig as the final event on Tuesday evening. I fell in love with Iceland the moment I walked out of the airport (actually already at the airport after meeting such friendly people). It's definitely the most beautiful country I've seen. I can find darkness, coldness, snow, ice and even northern lights in Finland too, but Iceland is very, very special in so many ways and I couldn't believe I was finally able to see some volcanic phenomenons in real life and the cold light was beautiful. Also, I had absolutely no idea Reykjavik is full of cozy, even quirky cafes and stylish little restaurants, the food was incredible! :wub2:

The supporting act made the venue explode! We heard later he was one of the most famous and popular artists in Iceland and I can very well believe it. I loved his performance, very entertaining and camp! And yes, the audience probably loved him even more than they loved Mika, but the atmosphere was good during the gig and at least people in a few front rows knew the lyrics for all the new songs (but the reaction to GK was still massive compared to the other songs). As Deb already told the gig was very good and high-energy. He chatted a bit but didn't joke or much interact with the band as he did in Manchester. I enjoyed the show but somehow couldn't help but thinking how it was the last show of tour and listening to Stardust and UW was even a bit sad (both were absolutely beautiful:wub2:). No polkadot setting but the crew had polkadot outfits while throwing the balloons in the end :teehee: Nice party style ending with balloons and some confetti.

Was a fantastic detail to see the northern lights when walking out of the venue. The weather was freezing though and the stuff was really kind and let us wait inside (only 5 people, three MFCers and 2 locals) and he met us on his way out. He came directly to Deb and shaked hands with her and everyone after her and when it was my turn I planned to shake his hand but he was like, um, no. And he wasn't sure what to do but eventually high-fived :aah: He was really relaxed and chatty but very determined to keep the discussion between Deb and him (very well deserved :wub2:) so I wasn't in a position to ask much questions but I gave him my Christmas card and he promised to read it and he was very smiling and sweet. Watching him making the video for MFC was a very surprising and special threat and so much fun especially Curtis playing next to him. He asked Deb to film and I pushed him to the pic (with a wheel thing he found from the lobby) and as you saw from the vid he talked in very sweet way. Lovely ending for the tour :wub2: Still fangurling when I watch the vid, lol!

Edit: Oh, I forgot, saw him at the airport on my way home and waved good bye. I felt sorry for him because he didn't have much time to walk around in Reykjavik and I'm sure he would have enjoyed it a lot. But well, he did at least a short Iceland tour.

Edit2: a HUGE thank to Deb and Bianca for the company and Bianca for being our travel guide. Felt amazing to be able to find so many interesting places/restaurants etc during my short stay.

Thanks for the report! I'm very happy for you Nina. Iceland seems to be a really beautiful country. I'm agree with you about travelling to see a concert. :thumb_yello:

The Christmas video is very charming. :wub2:

Ded did a wonderful job.:hi5:

Not going to write a proper report, but a few words about Iceland and the Reykjavik show (will share some pics and maybe vids later).

For the first time ever I was probably more excited about the country/place I visited than the gig itself. Still, traveling to see a concert is the best way to travel and I enjoyed sightseeing Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning and saw the gig as the final event on Tuesday evening. I fell in love with Iceland the moment I walked out of the airport (actually already at the airport after meeting such friendly people). It's definitely the most beautiful country I've seen. I can find darkness, coldness, snow, ice and even northern lights in Finland too, but Iceland is very, very special in so many ways and I couldn't believe I was finally able to see some volcanic phenomenons in real life and the cold light was beautiful. Also, I had absolutely no idea Reykjavik is full of cozy, even quirky cafes and stylish little restaurants, the food was incredible! :wub2:

The supporting act made the venue explode! We heard later he was one of the most famous and popular artists in Iceland and I can very well believe it. I loved his performance, very entertaining and camp! And yes, the audience probably loved him even more than they loved Mika, but the atmosphere was good during the gig and at least people in a few front rows knew the lyrics for all the new songs (but the reaction to GK was still massive compared to the other songs). As Deb already told the gig was very good and high-energy. He chatted a bit but didn't joke or much interact with the band as he did in Manchester. I enjoyed the show but somehow couldn't help but thinking how it was the last show of tour and listening to Stardust and UW was even a bit sad (both were absolutely beautiful:wub2:). No polkadot setting but the crew had polkadot outfits while throwing the balloons in the end :teehee: Nice party style ending with balloons and some confetti.

Was a fantastic detail to see the northern lights when walking out of the venue. The weather was freezing though and the stuff was really kind and let us wait inside (only 5 people, three MFCers and 2 locals) and he met us on his way out. He came directly to Deb and shaked hands with her and everyone after her and when it was my turn I planned to shake his hand but he was like, um, no. And he wasn't sure what to do but eventually high-fived :aah: He was really relaxed and chatty but very determined to keep the discussion between Deb and him (very well deserved :wub2:) so I wasn't in a position to ask much questions but I gave him my Christmas card and he promised to read it and he was very smiling and sweet. Watching him making the video for MFC was a very surprising and special threat and so much fun especially Curtis playing next to him. He asked Deb to film and I pushed him to the pic (with a wheel thing he found from the lobby) and as you saw from the vid he talked in very sweet way. Lovely ending for the tour :wub2: Still fangurling when I watch the vid, lol!

Edit: Oh, I forgot, saw him at the airport on my way home and waved good bye. I felt sorry for him because he didn't have much time to walk around in Reykjavik and I'm sure he would have enjoyed it a lot. But well, he did at least a short Iceland tour.

Edit2: a HUGE thank to Deb and Bianca for the company and Bianca for being our travel guide. Felt amazing to be able to find so many interesting places/restaurants etc during my short stay.

Thanks so much for this Nina. It has made me very nostalgic! I was in Iceland from 1987 to 1989 so I would imagine that it has changed quite a lot - well, Reykjavik anyway, I don't suppose the natural elements have changed that much - apart from the odd volcanic eruption of course! It really is an incredible country is'nt it. Like no other. I have never been to Finland and would love to. I am sure there are a lot of simililarities - but many differences too - of course the volcanic activity being the most dramatic. Iceland in December is alway lovely - with all the beautiful Christmas lights illuminating the dark dark days.

I am so glad that it was a good experience for you all. :huglove:

Thanks, Eriko! I was looking around at local papers today and didn't see anything. You can almost see me in the 3rd photo, to the left of the girl in the front row with red hair. :naughty:

my pleasure Deb, I thought you and MFCers're in this picture when I found it. :teehee:

I absolutely loved the way he played with the ending of Underwater here -- so glad someone recorded it. :wub2:

It was fantastic, funnny and I think we, the audience, did our part not so bad :) Me and my boyfriend recorded these 4 songs from the first row. Do you remember us? We met when we were waiting for Mika after the concert (two locals as tiibet described us earlier :)

Kisses from Iceland!

It was fantastic, funnny and I think we, the audience, did our part not so bad :) Me and my boyfriend recorded these 4 songs from the first row. Do you remember us? We met when we were waiting for Mika after the concert (two locals as tiibet described us earlier :)

Kisses from Iceland!

Hello :bye:

I can remember you very well! It was nice to meet you both! I'm glad you got your pic with him :) Thanks for the vids! :thumb_yello:

Kisses from Iceland!

Hi! Welcome to MFC - we haven't had many Icelandic members over the years. So glad you enjoyed the gig.

Kisses from Iceland!

Hello Jola Ice, welcome at MFC. :bye:

Thank you for your vids. :flowers2:

Kisses from Iceland!

Yes, of course, I remember you both! I wondered if this might be you -- sorry we didn't get your names the other night! Mika was so lovely, wasn't he? Have you seen the Christmas video we recorded?

Welcome to MFC! Glad you found your way here! :thumb_yello:

And if your boyfriend ever puts his photos online anywhere, please do let me know -- I'd love to see them, as most of mine didn't turn out well at all!

Hi DCDEB! Thanks so much for your report, photos and fabulous camera work for Mika's delicious Christmas video...

I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a very Happy & Healthy New Year. Thank you again and again for all you do for the MFC -- including giving us such a wonderful taste of being with Mika in Iceland!!!

Big Boston Love To You :wub2::wub2::wub2:

ImFree-1-1.jpg

LOVINMIKABIGTIME

Thank you guys for warm welcome. I found MFC page a few months ago and started to follow Mika through your posts. It has always been nice to find out where he currently is, how his performances and m&g look like, how you enjoy them, what special you prepare to surprise him, etc. I wanted to know what I could expect from my first Mika’s gig - the show in Iceland. You have always described your experiences as incredible moments so I was prepared for it but... The evening exceeded my expectations! It was like to be in a different world for a while! All problems from my real life seemed to disappeared and only his music and a meeting with him counted. Now I know how it is to be on a high! Even now I’m still excited. Next day after the gig I had a visit at a dentist and I was joking to him that I didn’t even need any anesthetics because Mika’s music and his hugs are painkillers and I had taken so much such “drugs” last night :)

We (me and my boyfriend) were standing in the first row and we only planned to take a lot of photos with a good camera and no videos because I didn’t believe in abilities of my phone to do that with good quality:) So my boyfriend was taking photos but it was about a half of the gig when a security guy asked him not to do it any longer (probably because this was a big camera but the truth is that people around us had smaller cameras with better abilities and there was no problem for security guys:) Anyway, in this situation we decided to give my phone a try and take some videos. And now I regret that the security didn’t stop us taking photos earlier because videos are pretty good and we could have recorded much more.

There was a lot of funny moments durig the gig: Mika conducting us to sing “Underwater”, Mika encouraging us to defeat Max during “Love Today”, Mika talking about his short trip in Iceland or we playing with huge baloons, to name a few. I would love to see once more Mika talking about his adventure in Icelandic “f* big snow” – as he said :) It was funny; maybe someone has recorded it? Please, share with us... During playing with baloons I managed to flick them up a lot of times and because I was standing in the front row, some of “my” baloons reached the scene and... even Mika directly :) One of them hit his hat at full speed (let’s keep it secret, oficially it wasn’t me, ok?:)

Despite we were not going to work next day, we didn’t plan to wait for Mika after the gig because we were very exhausted this day. But it was a pity to leave Harpa knowing that Mika was still there. We decided to look around outside the building with hope of finding a possible place where Mika could appear. It was easier than I expected:) Just around a corner we saw girls I recognised as members of MFC (you didn’t know me but I know you from your posts and photos on chat forum :) Thanks to that I was absolutely sure that we were in the right place:) When we realized that we were 2 of 5 fans waiting for THE STAR, we thought: “A unique opportunity arose to meet Mika almost like on a private meeting! We can’t go away, we need to experience that.” I don’t know why but when we were waiting for Mika I pictured him on a backstage and all this situation we were waiting for looking kind of different than it later came to be. What is more, I missed the moment when he approached us because I was standing with my back to him! What was the result? I suddenly turned round and saw Mika standing next to me with his hand ready for shaking and saying: “Nice to meet you”. WOW, I was completely shocked and soooo surprised that I was speechless! This moment etched on my memory but the more I think about it the more stupid I feel that I didn’t even thank him for the wonderful gig and his music in general. We were the only locals in this meeting and we should have thanked him kind of on behalf of all Icelandic fans! I will regret it to the rest of my live. I hope he hasn’t thought that in Iceland live unfriendly and impolite people :) It happend just because this moment was such big and important for me that I lost my consciousness and I was oblivious to the entire world!

I’m really happy that I saw live these wonderful greetings Mika recorded for his fans. It was like a unique bonus performance! It was really fun when he directed from the beginning to the end of it. He enjoyed it as well and looked like a kid playing on a playground. After takig photos with him, making hugs for good bye and giving him back his staff he gave me to hold during greetings recording (I almost forgot about it and gave it him back in the last moment:) he got in the car and went away. We waved him but I do not know if he saw it because it was dark outside.

I hope he come to Iceland again to sing for us because only here, on our small island, it is a good opportunity to meet him in a narrow circle and experience something similar once again.

Here you can find some our pics from the gig on my boyfriend's FB page.

Jola, your report is wonderful, thank you so much for sharing it! Your feelings were exactly how I felt after my first show (and many many shows after that). He brings us to a different world where no real life worries ever bother :wub2: We were very lucky after the show, many times meeting him after shows is not like that, it's often chaotic and much much quicker. Seeing him filming the message was a very special and lovely surprise. And, don't worry, I have probably never said him anything I wanted or planned, it's really not easy :naughty:

Here is my video of Stardust, him chatting in the beginning:

[YOUTUBE]QXOhf_FY3_Q[/YOUTUBE]

If FB doesn't work, you can try here.

Jola, thanks for your fabulous report! Even though seeing Mika never gets old for me, it's nice to read about the show as seen through the eyes of a first-timer. :wub2:

And THANK YOU and your boyfriend so much for sharing your photos! They are stunning! And I have to say how funny it is to catch a glimpse of my husband in some of the photos and videos -- I never thought I'd see him at a Mika show! :naughty: