MIKA in Reykjavik, Iceland December 18, 2012 - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

dcdeb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'll just tease you with a very brief report and a few photos for now.

The show was sold out -- 1200 tickets -- which I was glad to learn the other day, because I really wasn't sure how popular Mika was in Iceland. (The girl standing next to me tonight said that his first album was wildly popular, but the latest one, not so much... although she and her boyfriend were clearly fans and had been learning the lyrics to the new songs in anticipation of the concert.)

Mika seemed to be feeling fine, and also seemed happy that the crowd was pretty enthusiastic. (Of course, they were really pumped up after the fantastic opening act. The girl next to me told me the guy's name was Pall Oska, I think -- Nina has the proper spelling -- but they told me that he's very very famous in Iceland, he's huge in fact, and has been around for quite some time. He was very flamboyant, but extremely entertaining -- I really did enjoy him.)

In any case, the show was fantastic, very high energy. We had heard Mika sound-checking Make You Happy, which made ME happy... but alas, he didn't perform it for some reason. Otherwise, the set list was about the same as always -- although I missed Blame it on the Girls, a personal favorite.

He told a very funny story about being stuck in the snow earlier in the afternoon while they were touring around the countryside, and he just generally seemed very happy to be there.

After the show, a few of us waited for him -- a kind person from the venue allowed us to wait inside, instead of out in the truly freezing cold night. And when Mika finally came down to us, we had a very lovely conversation, and then, well, we made a video, which you've seen the result of. Please tell me that I did a good job, as Mika clearly doubted my video recording ability :wink2:

Will come back with a fuller report and more stories when I get back home from Iceland... I'm here until Thursday late! Brrrrrrrrrr....

281233_10152327374755321_2036101816_n.jpg

27993_10152327374695321_1521593866_n.jpg

149768_10152327374715321_1878031482_n.jpg

521524_10152327374935321_1254808734_n.jpg

271196_10152327374995321_1029990454_n.jpg

hurry up!!!! please!!! :pray:

:naughty:

Hey! It would have gone faster if somebody <cough cough> had made this thread for me so I didn't have to make it myself. :wink2::wink2:

Also, it's 2:30 a.m. and I'm sitting here in the hotel's restaurant -- I had to move out of the lobby, because they wanted to clean it! I'm doing this down here so as not to awaken my jet-lagged husband. Who, BTW, enjoyed the show, but didn't wait with us to meet Mika -- he just couldn't stay awake any longer. :naughty:

So I'll just tease you with a very brief report and a few photos for now.

The show was sold out -- 1200 tickets -- which I was glad to learn the other day, because I really wasn't sure how popular Mika was in Iceland. (The girl standing next to me tonight said that his first album was wildly popular, but the latest one, not so much... although she and her boyfriend were clearly fans and had been learning the lyrics to the new songs in anticipation of the concert.)

Mika seemed to be feeling fine, and also seemed happy that the crowd was pretty enthusiastic. (Of course, they were really pumped up after the fantastic opening act. The girl next to me told me the guy's name was Pall Oska, I think -- Nina has the proper spelling -- but they told me that he's very very famous in Iceland, he's huge in fact, and has been around for quite some time. He was very flamboyant, but extremely entertaining -- I really did enjoy him.)

In any case, the show was fantastic, very high energy. We had heard Mika sound-checking Make You Happy, which made ME happy... but alas, he didn't perform it for some reason. Otherwise, the set list was about the same as always -- although I missed Blame it on the Girls, a personal favorite.

He told a very funny story about being stuck in the snow earlier in the afternoon while they were touring around the countryside, and he just generally seemed very happy to be there.

After the show, a few of us waited for him -- a kind person from the venue allowed us to wait inside, instead of out in the truly freezing cold night. And when Mika finally came down to us, we had a very lovely conversation, and then, well, we made a video, which you've seen the result of. Please tell me that I did a good job, as Mika clearly doubted my video recording ability :wink2:

Will come back with a fuller report and more stories when I get back home from Iceland... I'm here until Thursday late! Brrrrrrrrrr....

281233_10152327374755321_2036101816_n.jpg

27993_10152327374695321_1521593866_n.jpg

149768_10152327374715321_1878031482_n.jpg

521524_10152327374935321_1254808734_n.jpg

271196_10152327374995321_1029990454_n.jpg

You did a really good job! Thanks for doing it and enjoy Iceland!:huglove:

deb u basically have this whole thread for yourself since only 3 MFC-ers RSVP-ed for this gig :aah::aah:

sounds great! glad u had a good time and yes ur video-ing skills are top notch!:thumb_yello:

can't wait to hear more...enjoy the rest of your special trip!!:wub2:

Hey! It would have gone faster if somebody <cough cough> had made this thread for me so I didn't have to make it myself. :wink2::wink2:

Also, it's 2:30 a.m. and I'm sitting here in the hotel's restaurant -- I had to move out of the lobby, because they wanted to clean it! I'm doing this down here so as not to awaken my jet-lagged husband. Who, BTW, enjoyed the show, but didn't wait with us to meet Mika -- he just couldn't stay awake any longer. :naughty:

:lmao: i just got home from the restaurant (see colorful cows i tweeted earlier :aah:) & was about to make the thread, but then i saw that you had started it yourself :naughty:

Deb that video is LOVELY!! MIKA??? did you hear me? Deb's video is absof**kinglutely amazing! :aah:

I am obviously being a bit thick here as I haven't seen a vid. :mf_rosetinted: I will find it.

SO pleased to hear that it went well - and that it was sold out.

I read with interest your comment about the opening act. One of my overiding memories of Icleand is how patriotic they are - and how they love their home grown musicians. I bet it was great.

I hope you are really enjoying your trip - it certainly sounds like you are.

Not going to write a proper report, but a few words about Iceland and the Reykjavik show (will share some pics and maybe vids later).

For the first time ever I was probably more excited about the country/place I visited than the gig itself. Still, traveling to see a concert is the best way to travel and I enjoyed sightseeing Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning and saw the gig as the final event on Tuesday evening. I fell in love with Iceland the moment I walked out of the airport (actually already at the airport after meeting such friendly people). It's definitely the most beautiful country I've seen. I can find darkness, coldness, snow, ice and even northern lights in Finland too, but Iceland is very, very special in so many ways and I couldn't believe I was finally able to see some volcanic phenomenons in real life and the cold light was beautiful. Also, I had absolutely no idea Reykjavik is full of cozy, even quirky cafes and stylish little restaurants, the food was incredible! :wub2:

The supporting act made the venue explode! We heard later he was one of the most famous and popular artists in Iceland and I can very well believe it. I loved his performance, very entertaining and camp! And yes, the audience probably loved him even more than they loved Mika, but the atmosphere was good during the gig and at least people in a few front rows knew the lyrics for all the new songs (but the reaction to GK was still massive compared to the other songs). As Deb already told the gig was very good and high-energy. He chatted a bit but didn't joke or much interact with the band as he did in Manchester. I enjoyed the show but somehow couldn't help but thinking how it was the last show of tour and listening to Stardust and UW was even a bit sad (both were absolutely beautiful:wub2:). No polkadot setting but the crew had polkadot outfits while throwing the balloons in the end :teehee: Nice party style ending with balloons and some confetti.

Was a fantastic detail to see the northern lights when walking out of the venue. The weather was freezing though and the stuff was really kind and let us wait inside (only 5 people, three MFCers and 2 locals) and he met us on his way out. He came directly to Deb and shaked hands with her and everyone after her and when it was my turn I planned to shake his hand but he was like, um, no. And he wasn't sure what to do but eventually high-fived :aah: He was really relaxed and chatty but very determined to keep the discussion between Deb and him (very well deserved :wub2:) so I wasn't in a position to ask much questions but I gave him my Christmas card and he promised to read it and he was very smiling and sweet. Watching him making the video for MFC was a very surprising and special threat and so much fun especially Curtis playing next to him. He asked Deb to film and I pushed him to the pic (with a wheel thing he found from the lobby) and as you saw from the vid he talked in very sweet way. Lovely ending for the tour :wub2: Still fangurling when I watch the vid, lol!

Edit: Oh, I forgot, saw him at the airport on my way home and waved good bye. I felt sorry for him because he didn't have much time to walk around in Reykjavik and I'm sure he would have enjoyed it a lot. But well, he did at least a short Iceland tour.

Edit2: a HUGE thank to Deb and Bianca for the company and Bianca for being our travel guide. Felt amazing to be able to find so many interesting places/restaurants etc during my short stay.

Edited by tiibet

YouTube uploaded by user : http://www.youtube.com/user/itsULFARVIKTOR/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Relax

[YOUTUBE]n9swtd2BeZk[/YOUTUBE]

Blue Eyes

[YOUTUBE]lOcu48qFlUU[/YOUTUBE]

BB

[YOUTUBE]TdMr4_7GM2c[/YOUTUBE]

BG

[YOUTUBE]SBikf5X3zls[/YOUTUBE]

GK

[YOUTUBE]6xCds66Yu64[/YOUTUBE]

Love Today

[YOUTUBE]Jf5adv1whwk[/YOUTUBE]

:tears:

will you fire us?

:crybaby:

Thank you for the video, Deb! It is his best message to his fans, as far as I can recall. Glad you all had a great time there.

PS: I really liked the pictures you tweeted as well, so I already have Iceland in my spring / summer travel plan.:teehee:

I took no videos this time, and to be honest my photos didn't turn out very well. They had the fog machine going, I think, plus the angle I was at was not very good for photographing Mika. But I did manage to come up with a half-dozen more half-decent pics.

12264_10152328886455321_746425503_n.jpg

77047_10152328886595321_1676245768_n.jpg

20512_10152328886525321_1609769601_n.jpg

75540_10152328886580321_1280404768_n.jpg

281381_10152328886735321_1701606956_n.jpg

407318_10152328886795321_1026737887_n.jpg

Thank you very much for the video, the photos and the reports. Glad you had a wonderful time in Iceland!

After your reports and and photos on twitter I have to say that Iceland inspires me a lot, there are so many beautiful things and place to see :wub2:

I went to Iceland in October of this year. It really is an amazing country! Reykjavik is definitely not the best part of Iceland , but we saw the Northern Lights there. Hope everyone enjoyed the country and the gig!:mikacool: