San Francisco - The Great American Music Hall 25-03-2013 - REPORTS/PHOTOS/VIDEOS

mellody

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[YOUTUBE]dZ4AYXlpZyU[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you LaraMay for finding this interview - you were really quick here!!:thumb_yello: It's my fav. because it's made some few hours before I saw MiKA live in concert for the first time, from the front row - so I'll never forget this day 07.11.07 :mikadas:

Love,love

me

Hi, I can't add much to Lucy and Nina's reports... we had a nice little MFC first row right under Mika's mic...:naughty:

I was there with my nine-year-old and managed to pull off a great experience for her so that was the most important to me. plus, of course, seeing the man for the first time in 3 and a half years!!! :aah:

Strangely I seem to have outgrown the inner fangurl a bit (well it is sinking in more today :blush-anim-cl:), my daughter and I were having a great time singing and dancing, whereas the 18-yr-old next to us looked like she was going to faint. very sweet to watch.

The show was beyond great, and come to think of it, the perfect format for my kid especially since i forgot to bring ear plugs..:fisch: and it still was loud. but it was perfect, she was able to practically sit on the stage and could have touched mika had she reached out.

the hya leah song was probably my favorite moment of the evening, century man on the other hand reminded me a lot of the origin of love.

what a treat to hear stardust and over my shoulder live. more come to mind... he really was in great form. i enjoyed that he was joking a lot.

we managed to meet him after the show, and i can't wait to see the group picture. my daughter got her autograph and was able to give him her present. i was able to tell him to come back sooner!!! :sneaky2:

so everything went perfect!

i'm in touch with the girl that was next to me, and she said she will load some videos to youtube, will post links if she doesn't join herself...

oh and it was very nice to meet nina who was so sweet and helpful to me and my daughter, and finally i also met lucy!

i'm in touch with the girl that was next to me, and she said she will load some videos to youtube, will post links if she doesn't join herself...

oh and it was very nice to meet nina who was so sweet and helpful to me and my daughter, and finally i also met lucy!

Yea! It was great to finally meet you! You're like the only other bay area mfcer. :huglove:

Yea! It was great to finally meet you! You're like the only other bay area mfcer. :huglove:

haha, i know!!! :teehee:

we have been to so many of the same concerts, unfortunately most of them weren't mika! :aah:

your outfit was awesome. :thumb_yello:

i found a pic from someone else on the FB event page. you can find the three of us in the front row kind of. :naughty:

still have no idea how to post pics on here, so i hope it works.

also, my new friend posted her vids on youtube now, easy to find. it's toy boy and billy brown.

post-15985-142983699538_thumb.jpg

Edited by koolj5

haha, i know!!! :teehee:

we have been to so many of the same concerts, unfortunately most of them weren't mika! :aah:

your outfit was awesome. :thumb_yello:

i know! Its hilarious really that we never met.

Thanks! :pinkbow: I had like 4 different people ask to take pics of me at the show. Just another day in the life of me.:naughty:

i found a pic from someone else on the FB event page. you can find the three of us in the front row kind of. :naughty:

still have no idea how to post pics on here, so i hope it works.

also, my new friend posted her vids on youtube now, easy to find. it's toy boy and billy brown.

ha! Thats a rad pic! :thumb_yello:

Looked up her vids! She had the perfect spot for when he was at the piano!

Aye, but honestly. I could live without Toy Boy in the setlist. :huh:

http://spinningplatters.com/2013/03/27/show-review-an-intimate-evening-with-mika-at-great-american-music-hall-3252013/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SpinningPlatters+(Spinning+Platters)

mikabulbcropped830x1024.jpg

Mika burst on to the scene a few years ago with a sugary pop masterpiece, Life in Cartoon Motion, and his joyful and colorful live shows, chock full of balloons, confetti, streamers and a giant pop band behind him. Now, he’s on tour supporting his newest album, The Origin of Love, and he’s taking a markedly different approach. This show, billed as “An intimate evening with” saw him behind a piano for the lion’s share of the evening, joined only by Max Taylor and Curtis Stansfield on a variety of instruments. It was stripped down, and it was wonderful.

I was reminded of the Ben Folds and a Piano tour that he embarked on. At that time, Ben Folds put the backing musicians away and just went out on the road by himself. Everyone left those shows saying “wow those are great songs, and he can really kill it on the piano.” After leaving Mika’s show, I didn’t think that about his piano playing. Instead, I thought “wow those are great songs, and he is a ridiculous singer.” Rather than hide his beautiful wide ranging singing voice behind a wall of sound, it became the clear lead instrument, at times accompanied. If you ever really wanted to hear Mika sing, this is the tour for you.

Because this was a more intimate setting, it left room for some crowd banter. While some of it was clearly off the cuff, talking at length with some of the folks in the front row, he admitted that the goal of the tour was to “seem spontaneous but be as scripted as Barbra Streisand.” While that’s a noble goal, and shows like this do have a tendency to approach script as they’re repeated, this was early in the tour still. He still needed to refer to an iPad for the chords of three of his own songs (although he admitted he needed it for 10 on the first night), so the spontaneity was still present. Additionally, he apologized to his band for “****ing up the setlist.” I have a picture of his actual printed one below, but it varies wildly from what was actually played toward the end of the show.

Packed into one third of the Great American Music Hall, pressed against the stage, were some of the most enthusiastic fans I’ve been around in quite some time. The chatty people were all in the back, only stopping their incessant noisemaking to sing along with some of the bigger hits like “Big Girl” and “Love Today.” But up front were hardcore fans paying rapt attention to every note that was sung, and kept their silence during the pauses that a somewhat quiet night of music wonderful in the first place. It’s always better to be in front of the “fun line” at a show, but tonight, it was more important than ever.

Overall, this was a wildly entertaining show, filled with gleeful music, an overjoyed audience, and decidedly more spontaneity than your average Barbra Streisand concert.

Mika burst on to the scene a few years ago with a sugary pop masterpiece, Life in Cartoon Motion, and his joyful and colorful live shows, chock full of balloons, confetti, streamers and a giant pop band behind him. Now, he’s on tour supporting his newest album, The Origin of Love, and he’s taking a markedly different approach. This show, billed as “An intimate evening with” saw him behind a piano for the lion’s share of the evening, joined only by Max Taylor and Curtis Stansfield on a variety of instruments. It was stripped down, and it was wonderful.

I was reminded of the Ben Folds and a Piano tour that he embarked on. At that time, Ben Folds put the backing musicians away and just went out on the road by himself. Everyone left those shows saying “wow those are great songs, and he can really kill it on the piano.” After leaving Mika’s show, I didn’t think that about his piano playing. Instead, I thought “wow those are great songs, and he is a ridiculous singer.” Rather than hide his beautiful wide ranging singing voice behind a wall of sound, it became the clear lead instrument, at times accompanied. If you ever really wanted to hear Mika sing, this is the tour for you.

Because this was a more intimate setting, it left room for some crowd banter. While some of it was clearly off the cuff, talking at length with some of the folks in the front row, he admitted that the goal of the tour was to “seem spontaneous but be as scripted as Barbra Streisand.” While that’s a noble goal, and shows like this do have a tendency to approach script as they’re repeated, this was early in the tour still. He still needed to refer to an iPad for the chords of three of his own songs (although he admitted he needed it for 10 on the first night), so the spontaneity was still present. Additionally, he apologized to his band for “****ing up the setlist.” I have a picture of his actual printed one below, but it varies wildly from what was actually played toward the end of the show.

Packed into one third of the Great American Music Hall, pressed against the stage, were some of the most enthusiastic fans I’ve been around in quite some time. The chatty people were all in the back, only stopping their incessant noisemaking to sing along with some of the bigger hits like “Big Girl” and “Love Today.” But up front were hardcore fans paying rapt attention to every note that was sung, and kept their silence during the pauses that a somewhat quiet night of music wonderful in the first place. It’s always better to be in front of the “fun line” at a show, but tonight, it was more important than ever.

Overall, this was a wildly entertaining show, filled with gleeful music, an overjoyed audience, and decidedly more spontaneity than your average Barbra Streisand concert.

I totally agree. I saw him just week ago in Istanbul and I couldn't hear his singing all the time even I heard his voice was good (and it wasn't that good before Christmas when he was not well). It's amazing to hear him singing like on this new tour, I mean properly HEAR everything. And he sounds perfect :wub2:

I totally agree. I saw him just week ago in Istanbul and I couldn't hear his singing all the time even I heard his voice was good (and it wasn't that good before Christmas when he was not well). It's amazing to hear him singing like on this new tour, I mean properly HEAR everything. And he sounds perfect :wub2:

Yes, I love that with this tour...that you could hear him so well :thumb_yello: