Video interview @ Italian Radio Deejay 17 October 2013

mari62

I dont even care what he's talking about in this interview. All I know is he just broke my heart with those few words. :tears::annoyed_h4h: but I'm just all defensive about this city. :naughty:

Now you've got an important mission: let him change his mind about SF :wink2:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like San Francisco." He makes a face when he says it, so I guess he really doesn't like SF for some reason. :dunno:

I'm just really curious to know what the reason is. I know the places he's played on tour have been unsavoury but surely he's spent more time in San Francisco than that and doesn't judge a city by its dodgy venues. I find it very atypical of Mika to say he doesn't like ANY city and since San Francisco is easily one of the best on the continent by any standard, it's very curious.

Yes, I believe much of the world has changed in that regard, except maybe the US. I saw some numbers the other day -- something like only 39% of Americans have a passport, and more than half have never been outside the US! Really surprises me, as I would spend the rest of my life traveling if money were not an issue. :wink2:

But money IS an issue. Americans don't live an hour from Western Europe, they cannot take a train or a cheap flight to get there. Not only are flights outrageously expensive but no one wants to travel across the ocean for a day or two so accommodation ends up costing even more than the flight. And the dollar does not stretch as far as a euro or pound. What percentage of the American population have not had to struggle to pay their mortgage in recent years, nevermind had much use for a passport?

Yes okay many could probably come to Canada or go to the Dominican for a slightly different cultural experience but really how much incentive is there to do that when there is so much geographical diversity within the US?

It's funny that Mika compares these cities because I think it's probably more activities and geography that motivates people to travel around on this continent than it is to visit cities per se. Where can you go from Los Angeles? You can go to the Grand Canyon, you can go surfing, you can go skiing in the mountains, you can take a scenic drive up the coast or to the wineries, you can hike or go camping in the forests, etc.

Of course I love going to New York and Chicago and Montreal because I am a true city person but the typical Canadian wants to get away from it all by heading to a lake cottage or a warm beach. I don't think it's a provincial attitude necessarily (especially since Canadians have to leave the country to get to a warm beach), it's just a different preference for how to spend one's leisure time. I imagine this need for an escape from the city also has a lot to do with the fact that most North Americans have 1/3 the amount of paid holiday that Europeans do.

I dont even care what he's talking about in this interview. All I know is he just broke my heart with those few words. :tears::annoyed_h4h: but I'm just all defensive about this city. :naughty:

that's ok, when he was in Toronto a few years back, he said something like "Montreal can go f*** themselves" (or something along the lines)

he hurt my feelings...:tears:

i felt like telling him the same thing, but i stuck around :blush-anim-cl:

Well, for what it's worth, I LOVE San Francisco! :hug:

I'm just really curious to know what the reason is. I know the places he's played on tour have been unsavoury but surely he's spent more time in San Francisco than that and doesn't judge a city by its dodgy venues. I find it very atypical of Mika to say he doesn't like ANY city and since San Francisco is easily one of the best on the continent by any standard, it's very curious.

I agree. He must have had some negative experience there. I mean, what's not to like about San Francisco? I've only been there once but I'd go back in heartbeat. :dunno:

But money IS an issue. Americans don't live an hour from Western Europe, they cannot take a train or a cheap flight to get there. Not only are flights outrageously expensive but no one wants to travel across the ocean for a day or two so accommodation ends up costing even more than the flight. And the dollar does not stretch as far as a euro or pound. What percentage of the American population have not had to struggle to pay their mortgage in recent years, nevermind had much use for a passport?

Oh yes, you're absolutely right. The dollar is so weak right now against the Euro and the British pound, it's pathetic. I'm getting ready for my trip to London next week and cringing at the prices. I want to get tickets to the theater, and some of the shows I want to see are more than 100GBP a ticket (I can never remember how to make the pound symbol here!), which is more than $160US! :blink: I'm able to do this trip fairly inexpensively because I'm using frequent flyer miles, and my husband's company will pick up his expenses -- I know not everyone is that lucky.

I agree. He must have had some negative experience there. I mean, what's not to like about San Francisco? I've only been there once but I'd go back in heartbeat. :dunno:

Oh yes, you're absolutely right. The dollar is so weak right now against the Euro and the British pound, it's pathetic. I'm getting ready for my trip to London next week and cringing at the prices. I want to get tickets to the theater, and some of the shows I want to see are more than 100GBP a ticket (I can never remember how to make the pound symbol here!), which is more than $160US! :blink: I'm able to do this trip fairly inexpensively because I'm using frequent flyer miles, and my husband's company will pick up his expenses -- I know not everyone is that lucky.

I don't know if this helps Deb, but dotted around Leicester Square and Shaftsbury Ave are little box offices where you can get half price theatre tickets. they have signs up pointing to them :thumb_yello:

that's ok, when he was in Toronto a few years back, he said something like "Montreal can go f*** themselves" (or something along the lines)

That was different though. He was just pandering to the Toronto audience. He was not saying he didn't like Montreal. It was before YT videos were ubiquitous so he probably never imagined that anyone outside of that small room would hear it. :teehee:

Some friends are moving to the San Francisco area this year and I already have my bags packed. I can't wait to go!! :naughty: Los Angeles on the other hand...well the only reason I've ever been there is because of Mika and MFCers and I wouldn't go back unless I was doing a bunch of west coast gigs again.

I want to get tickets to the theater, and some of the shows I want to see are more than 100GBP a ticket (I can never remember how to make the pound symbol here!), which is more than $160US!

The £ is Alt + 156 if you have a numeric pad. Have you searched around for tickets? We found some bargains through ticket brokers and of course there is always the half priced ticket booth. I am assuming that these shows are not sold out so you might be able to get a deal.

I don't know if this helps Deb, but dotted around Leicester Square and Shaftsbury Ave are little box offices where you can get half price theatre tickets. they have signs up pointing to them :thumb_yello:

Yes, thanks, Rose. I know about those. I was just hoping to get tickets in advance so I didn't have to waste time waiting in the queue at these places. I'm only there 3 full days this time, so every minute is precious. :naughty:

The £ is Alt + 156 if you have a numeric pad. Have you searched around for tickets? We found some bargains through ticket brokers and of course there is always the half priced ticket booth. I am assuming that these shows are not sold out so you might be able to get a deal.

Oh, thanks! I always think it's Alt+133 for some reason, then spend 15 minutes trying to figure out what it is. I really ought to just write it down somewhere. :blush-anim-cl:

And yes, I might do the half-price booth this time. I've also had good luck just going directly to the theater ticket office on the day -- the tickets aren't discounted, obviously, but I've gotten really great seats, when all the online sites have said that the show was either sold out or that the only seats available were in the nosebleed area.

Sorry, I'll get back on topic now. :teehee:

I agree I find it strange to hear anybody say they don't like San Francisco. I've only ever heard positive feedback from people who visited, and even without that it looks like a city I would love to visit. I would truly fulfill a dream the day I would go to any place in the US anyway :teehee:

he hurt my feelings...:tears:

i felt like telling him the same thing, but i stuck around :blush-anim-cl:

Ah but with Montreal I think he made up for it with everything he said praising the city when TOOL was released :thumb_yello:

Ah but with Montreal I think he made up for it with everything he said praising the city when TOOL was released :thumb_yello:

He has always praised Montreal. He was just trying to get the Toronto audience to warm up to him because he sensed there was a rivalry between the cities. :wink2:

I know he was just trying to please the Toronto crowd, but at the time, I was still offended.

Yes, he's made up with Montreal, always praises it, but it was still hurtful.

I'm all better now lol

But he wasn't even talking about the city of Montreal so there was no need to be offended. He was just talking about some arrogant people who told him that Toronto was sh*t and his gig in Toronto was going to be a letdown after Montreal. They deserve the "go f*ck themselves" that they got! :shun::naughty:

Mika has just been at Radio Deejay as a guest!

let's talk about it and post links, pics and videos!

http://www.deejay.it/radio/

0911.jpg

pics: http://www.deejay.it/foto/mika-7/354975/#1

Interview (in Italian) on deejay.it:

Part 1: http://www.deejay.it/video/mika-morgan-e-il-dario-fo-della-musica-italiana/354986/

Part 2: http://www.deejay.it/video/mika-sono-dislessico-ma-la-musica-ha-cambiato-tutto-2/355015/

Part 3: http://www.deejay.it/video/mika-sono-dislessico-ma-la-musica-ha-cambiato-tutto/354987/

Whole interview including off-air bits

translation of the dailymotion video in 2 parts:

Part 1

Part 2

Thks for sharing i couldn´t see it cause i´m not register or something slowly my computer. Congratulations for your new Book song. recopilation your best songs. MIka:thumb_yello: