Video interview @ Italian Radio Deejay 17 October 2013

mari62

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FIRST OFF-AIR PART of the DailyMotion video (summary)

Note: of this first part I haven't made a literal translation because I haven't understood everything because the music was very loud, but I wrote more or less everything they said, I hope that's ok.

Linus (the interviewer) greets Mika and says something about his hair and they laugh, then asks how things are going and Mika says good but he's tired, then Linus says he does look tired and he agrees smiling. Linus says that the difficult part of XF (the live shows) hasn't begun yet, then he greets someone (I think Giulio Mazzoleni but I'm not sure). Then their voices fade even more, Mika probably says something appreciative about the radio studio but I could hardly hear them. (Any help by Italian fans with better hearing skills will be appreciated!!). Then Mika, just to make things worse, turns away from the camera, then he says he has not spoken Italian for two weeks; Linus reassures him, but says he is afraid of the live show.

Then he greets the other interviewer Nicola (who had interviewed him in 2009), and Nicola tells him that he didn't remember he was that tall, he just remembered he (Nicola) was short! Then Mika tells him he's very well tanned, without dark circles under his eyes. Then he says he (Mika) is pale, with dark circles (occhiaie in Italian). Linus says that when he speaks Italian perfectly he will say “emaciato” (emaciated), and suggests him to say the word when he wants to impresse people!

Then Nicola appreciates his shoes and says he's always very well-dressed, and that he likes the XF styling, and Mika says that this year it has changed, and Nicola says it's really cool.

Then Linus sarcastically asks if there is someone who dresses Elio, Mika says he's very "sartorial". Linus then remembers that last year for the final he wore just a plain t-shirt he had seen him with a hundred times, and Nicola explains that he had put costumes for all the last season and on the last show he was dressed just like he dresses at home. “Travestito” says Mika, Nicola says “travestito da se stesso=disguised as himself”, but Mika laughs because “Elio travestito” sounds like he was a transvestite, and then he asks if that makes sense. Then the inteview begins.

I am now translating the following part :)

Thank you very much Teresa :huglove:

I couldn't hear anything with the music, you did a great job at understanding :thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Dear friends,

i wanna talk to you...

a BIG thank you to Mari62!

We all know that she is very helpful and always ready in everything.

Of course she is very usefull for you international fan.

But especially for us italian fans.

When we are too busy or too lazy (today it was an italian show, but it is not sure we can turn on the radio in the right moment) we always know that Mari recorded, Mary saved, Mari updated MFC.

GRAZIE MARINA

and also Teresa...

i dont' know you but i think you are doing an amazing job very usefull for not italian people.

Thanks you too.

I'm sur all Mfcers are agree with me.

:bye:

We could make one out of Lego, so that everyone can send bits in, then it could be assembled and then presented to Mika.

Well it's just an idea.

Actually I love this idea :wub2::fisch:

Everyone could decorate his own lego piece and then the best builder(s) from us (not me :mf_rosetinted:) would build the castle. We could give it to him saying that we are still saving for the real one in Anne's garden for his 50's (or even 60's :aah:)

:teehee:

Dear friends,

i wanna talk to you...

When we are too busy or too lazy (today it was an italian show, but it is not sure we can turn on the radio in the right moment) we always know that Mari recorded, Mary saved, Mari updated MFC.

GRAZIE MARINA

and also Teresa...

i dont' know you but i think you are doing an amazing job very usefull for not italian people.

Thanks you too.

Of course and we always thank her for that work :wink2:

Everyone could decorate his own lego piece and then the best builder(s) from us (not me :mf_rosetinted:) would build the castle. We could give it to him saying that we are still saving for the real one in Anne's garden for his 50's (or even 60's :aah:)

I love the Lego idea too :wub2:

Oh my Mika , when he's gonna be sixty I'll be so old :lmfao: seventy six :lmao: , well the age difference won't show :teehee:

But I'm willing to wait :blush-anim-cl::teehee::thumb_yello:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

I'm not so sure that he loves castles. He said that Slane Castle was too old and he didn't care to stay there, even though it's very beautiful. :wink2:

And now you just killed our so wonderful (Lego) castle present project :aah:

Nevermind, I will offer it to myself :mf_rosetinted:

Dear friends,

i wanna talk to you...

GRAZIE MARINA

and also Teresa...

Thanks you too.

Yes, thank you!!

Best builder here is YulsMcFuls :thumb_yello:

FIRST BIT OF THE INTERVIEW (from the dailymotion video minute 3:48 to 11:58)

L: We all thought that Mika's adventure in XF would work, but sincerely very few thought it would have been this successful, and among these there's maybe Mika himself. Did you think it would go this well? Hello, welcome back! We're happy to have you here with us.

M: I don't know. Now I'm very nervous because we haven't started the live shows, and this is different, it's like a different challenge. Is that correct? I haven't spoken Italian for two weeks and I'm very [nervous? missing word]

L: You are afraid you might make some mistakes with words... But I do know that you Italian has progressed, for example, I see you pale, you almost look...

M: What was that you said? “Emaciato”! I am emaciated. And this is not good, but thanks a lot for the vocabulary, but it's not a compliment, I do undestand this!

N: Even Italians don't know the word “emaciato”!

M: But you're not emaciated!

N: No, I'm tanned!

M: I've said “you is”, always the same [mistakes]!

N: Listen, have you learned the meaning of the verb “scegliere” (“to choose”)?

M: A bit!

L: Look, “choosare” is more beautiful! [During the auditions he made up the neologism “choosare” instead of “scegliere”] Because we were a little bit envious that there was the Spanglish...

M: Spaliano! Spanglish, spaliano! What is the word for... “Itanglish”..... This is very ugly.

L: But please continue this way! However, are you having fun?

M: Yes, I like my team, I like the other judges and the whole situation. It is really different from all the tv shows of the whole world, this is a programme... is that right? A crazy programme.

L: You're going very well [with Italian]

M: ...completely crazy.

L: Even if compared to the English or American XF?

M: Yes it's different, it's completely different. It's more free, with a lot more risks, and I don't know, the energy is more...more anarchic. And I like this!

L: But hear how he speaks Italian! There are Italian singers who can't even make up these words!

N: Listen, but isn't it because of the presence of Morgan, that maybe gives that touch of [craziness]...

M: Morgan, the Dario Fo of Italian music [look at the press conference videos to understand this bit ;)]

L: Someone wrote you this one, someone wrote it!

M: Now Morgan has to pay me!

N: It feels like it's something, you know, out of the future, hearing him talk Italian, it looks like he has taken a pill that lets him talk in Italian! Because last time...

M: Yes an espresso much more espresso (? Lol) This is the magic pill. With sugar. Sugar with some espresso.

L: This evening there is the last espisode of the not-live ones, the live ones will begin next week and they will be more tiring. Today it's the turn of the Home Visit, that you shot in July, I think

M: Luglio? Oh, yes, July! July, where is July? In Ireland! This is my mind...

L: You were in Ireland, in Dublin

M: yes in Dublin, in Slane Castle

L: With you there was Marco Mengoni?

M: Yes, with Marco Mengoni

N: What is Slane Castle?

M: Slane Castle is a castle near Dublin, where a lot of artists have made a lot of concerts...Madonna, U2... Many times the U2... It's a very special place in the musical culture of Europe, according to me. Rolling stones... It's very important. It's a little bit like Knebworth, near London, but a hundred times more important.

L: Did you like it? How was it?

M: Yes, but I don't like the castle. It's a little bit old, a little bit strange...

N: But you didn't sleep there, no?

M: No, I didn't want to! But I think the U2 have made a whole album in this castle. The castle is beautiful, to make music it is incredible.

L: Is there a recording studio?

M: No, no recording studio! And now I got inspired and now I'm doing an album in the same way. In America, in a big house, I want to write and also... “ingrabare”? Record! Record the whole album in the house.

L: Because it creates more atmosphere, it's more inspiring?

M: Yes, without always being in a studio...

L: How do you call these houses? Mansions?

M: No it's not that cool, it's a little bit uglier than a mansion! In England a mansion is a palace! And this is not a palace...

L: But where in America?

M: Near Los Angeles. Because there are the best musicians.

L: Listen, the thing I envy the most about you is the fact that you are a citizen of the world. We Italians are fundamentally a bit “provincial”, we live at home with our mothers until the 30s...

M: No, that's not true!

N: And we don't change city. It's not in our habits to change city, if you are born in Terni you continue living in Terni...

M: But according to me this is really not true.

L: It's changing now...

M: It's changing, in an hour I can go from Milan to another country [not sure if he talks about cities or countries, I think countries, the word is the same]... It's incredible. In Los Angeles what can I do? Mexico?

N&L: Yes! You can do many things...

M: San Francisco? I don't like San Francisco...

L: But I like when I hear you talking on the phone with your sister in French for example

M: yes! We speak French, at home... But my sister, she speaks Arabic, Chinese, French, English, Spanish...

L: Fantastic. But all of this is due to what? To your parents that have brought you up this cosmopolit?

M: No. I think... I am the son of a family of immigrants, American immigrants. My mother is Lebanese-Syrian, my father is American but always in all the parts of the world because of his father

L: So this has left you this open-mindness.

M: yes! How do you say? Gypsy. We are gypsy.

N: What did you grandfather do? Why did he travel that much?

M: He was a diplomatic, in the Arabic world. So, a strange mix, very strange.

L: A bit like Joe Strummer! From The Clash, he also was a son of diplomats, even if you two have lived different lives...

M: yes! For example last week I wrote a song in a castle called Marouatte, in France. This castle... I've just finished. For eight days I've written songs with some others. And this castle is Miles Copeland's castle, and every year he makes an event for his favourite authors of the world of pop music, where 15 songwriters are all together in the castle … Miles Copeland is the manager of The Police but his father, and also his brother, Stewart Copeland, and the drummer of the Police....

L: But wasn't Stewart Copeland's father a CIA agent? That was the legend...

M: Stewart Copeland's father was a diplomatic. But he was a CIA yes... But my grandfather wasn't!

L: It's clear that we watch Homeland! Let's make a very short musical pause, let's put a minute of music then we start again, so you can breathe a bit!

Note: Unfortunately this has taken me more than I expected, and I'm not home tonight, I'll translate the last minutes tomorrow! Sorry for the delay! In the meantime enjoy this first part! :)

L: We all thought that Mika's adventure in XF would work, but sincerely very few thought it would have been this successful, and among these there's maybe Mika himself. Did you think it would go this well? Hello, welcome back! We're happy to have you here with us.

M: I don't know. Now I'm very nervous because we haven't started the live shows, and this is different, it's like a different challenge. Is that correct? I haven't spoken Italian for two weeks and I'm very [nervous? missing word]

L: You are afraid you might make some mistakes with words... But I do know that you Italian has progressed, for example, I see you pale, you almost look...

M: What was that you said? “Emaciato”! I am emaciated. And this is not good, but thanks a lot for the vocabulary, but it's not a compliment, I do undestand this!

L: Look, “choosare” is more beautiful! [During the auditions he made up the neologism “choosare” instead of “scegliere”] Because we were a little bit envious that there was the Spanglish...

M: Spaliano! Spanglish, spaliano! What is the word for... “Itanglish”..... This is very ugly.

M: Yes, I like my team, I like the other judges and the whole situation. It is really different from all the tv shows of the whole world, this is a programme... is that right? A crazy programme.

M: Yes it's different, it's completely different. It's more free, with a lot more risks, and I don't know, the energy is more...more anarchic. And I like this!

L: But hear how he speaks Italian! There are Italian singers who can't even make up these words!

N: Listen, but isn't it because of the presence of Morgan, that maybe gives that touch of [craziness]...

M: Morgan, the Dario Fo of Italian music [look at the press conference videos to understand this bit ;)]

N: It feels like it's something, you know, out of the future, hearing him talk Italian, it looks like he has taken a pill that lets him talk in Italian! Because last time...

M: Yes an espresso much more espresso (? Lol) This is the magic pill. With sugar. Sugar with some espresso.

L: This evening there is the last espisode of the not-live ones, the live ones will begin next week and they will be more tiring. Today it's the turn of the Home Visit, that you shot in July, I think

M: Slane Castle is a castle near Dublin, where a lot of artists have made a lot of concerts...Madonna, U2... Many times the U2... It's a very special place in the musical culture of Europe, according to me. Rolling stones... It's very important. It's a little bit like Knebworth, near London, but a hundred times more important.

M: Yes, but I don't like the castle. It's a little bit old, a little bit strange...

M: No, I didn't want to! But I think the U2 have made a whole album in this castle. The castle is beautiful, to make music it is incredible.

M: No, no recording studio! And now I got inspired and now I'm doing an album in the same way. In America, in a big house, I want to write and also... “ingrabare”? Record! Record the whole album in the house.

M: No it's not that cool, it's a little bit uglier than a mansion! In England a mansion is a palace! And this is not a palace...

L: Listen, the thing I envy the most about you is the fact that you are a citizen of the world. We Italians are fundamentally a bit “provincial”, we live at home with our mothers until the 30s...

N: And we don't change city. It's not in our habits to change city, if you are born in Terni you continue living in Terni...

M: It's changing, in an hour I can go from Milan to another country [not sure if he talks about cities or countries, I think countries, the word is the same]... It's incredible. In Los Angeles what can I do? Mexico?

L: But I like when I hear you talking on the phone with your sister in French for example

M: yes! We speak French, at home... But my sister, she speaks Arabic, Chinese, French, English, Spanish...

L: Fantastic. But all of this is due to what? To your parents that have brought you up this cosmopolit?

M: No. I think... I am the son of a family of immigrants, American immigrants. My mother is Lebanese-Syrian, my father is American but always in all the parts of the world because of his father

L: A bit like Joe Strummer! From The Clash, he also was a son of diplomats, even if you two have lived different lives...

M: yes! For example last week I wrote a song in a castle called Marouatte, in France. This castle... I've just finished. For eight days I've written songs with some others. And this castle is Miles Copeland's castle, and every year he makes an event for his favourite authors of the world of pop music, where 15 songwriters are all together in the castle … Miles Copeland is the manager of The Police but his father, and also his brother, Stewart Copeland, and the drummer of the Police....

M: Stewart Copeland's father was a diplomatic. But he was a CIA yes... But my grandfather wasn't!

L: It's clear that we watch Homeland! Let's make a very short musical pause, let's put a minute of music then we start again, so you can breathe a bit!

Note: Unfortunately this has taken me more than I expected, and I'm not home tonight, I'll translate the last minutes tomorrow! Sorry for the delay! In the meantime enjoy this first part! :)

Thank you Teresa :huglove:

I was actually wrong with many things, that's good that I can understand it properly now

GRAZIE MARINA

and also Teresa...

Thanks you too.

Yes, definitely. Many thanks, indeed! :flowers2:

And now you just killed our so wonderful (Lego) castle present project :aah:

Nevermind, I will offer it to myself :mf_rosetinted:

No! I really like the LEGO castle idea! And believe me, you wouldn't have to buy any LEGOs, I have about a billion of them leftover from my son's Lego-bulding days. :naughty:

Thank you!!:huglove: I do understand this translation takes time - it's so much, and you refer it all in details - it's amazing, better than any language school lesson!! :thumb_yello: I also find it funny that MIKA, for the 2nd time now, explain that his big fam. is like gypsy - exactly the pic I got in my head, while reading his holiday report - this huge amount of people and cars, moving through Europe - in the late summer weeks... :naughty::wub2:

Look forward to the rest of the interview :blink:

Love,love

me

I have already bought Mika a couple of castles. One in London and one in Miami. X Factor and Voice fans can pay the the upkeep. :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks for the translation Teresa. I haven't watched the whole video or had a good look at the transcripts yet. But I am surprised I understood all that stuff about the castle and his family. To me it sounds like he's speaking some kind of pidgin Frenglish with an Italian accent so it's even easier to understand than his French.

Of course I already know about the castle and Knebworth and his family history but I don't know a word of Italian so it's bizarre to understand any of it.

Thank you Teresa :flowers2: You're such a sweetheart :huglove:

I have already bought Mika a couple of castles. One in London and one in Miami. X Factor and Voice fans can pay the the upkeep. :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks for the translation Teresa. I haven't watched the whole video or had a good look at the transcripts yet. But I am surprised I understood all that stuff about the castle and his family. To me it sounds like he's speaking some kind of pidgin Frenglish with an Italian accent so it's even easier to understand than his French.

Of course I already know about the castle and Knebworth and his family history but I don't know a word of Italian so it's bizarre to understand any of it.

Yes :naughty: My thoughts exactly :thumb_yello: I love to listen to him speak in Italian and I understand better than when he speaks French (at least when it's recorded because when he spoke French to me I understood everything perfectly :wub2: )

He speaks slowly and he articulates carefully, that helps a lot :naughty:

I could listen to him speak Italian for hours :wub2:

Thank you for the translation so far Teresa:huglove:

Already told you on twitter...it's in the Italian water...yup...that must be it...:mf_rosetinted:

Of course,you're right,there couldn't be another explanation :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks,Teresa and Marina for everything :huglove: That guy has right,it's exactly like he took a magical pill for speaking Italian :naughty: