Are there songs by Mika you don't like?

ManonR

I agree with Raya about Erase and Kids. Otherwise Blame it on the Weather has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life, nevermind a Mika song. The lyrics are so embarrasingly lame as to be a parody (written by someone whose first language is not English). I don't like Karen and some other French song he sang last year. My problem with all of these songs is they do not sound like they were written by or for Mika.

I actually like Karen -- it's really grown on me, but I don't think I will ever, ever say that about Erase or Blame it on the Weather. :no: I've said this before -- Erase is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me, I just can't listen to it. Kids I can take or leave -- the lyrics are thoughtful and intelligent, but the melody, especially the chorus, just leaves me cold. :dunno:

I also tire of songs like Bily Brown at gigs or think Lady Jane has some awkward lyrics or that OMS is a bit of an acquired taste. But I do have a sort of relationship with and fond memories of these and other songs so I would never say I dislike them. Lady Jane is actually one of my favourite live songs and I wish he'd throw it into a setlist once in awhile. It's perfect for an acoustic show.

Yes, I feel the same way about Lady Jane -- I really didn't care for it until I heard it live. In fact, I wish Mika had recorded it the same way he performs it live -- when I listen to that song, I listen to the live version from the Sadler's Wells show.

Any Other World is another song I didn't care for until I heard it live. In fact, way back in 2007 when I first discovered Mika and was scouring the internet for more Mika music I ran across several MySpace accounts that had one song each on them allegedly by Mika. I'm not sure if these were accounts started by Mika himself, or his early fans, or what -- it was before the LICM album was released. When I found Any Other World, I thought the guy who had recorded the song was just trying really hard to sound like Mika with a really lame song of his own. I heard "lonely is so lonely alone" and I thought, "really?" :teehee: When I discovered later that it was actually Mika singing that song, I was like :blink: But seeing it performed live transformed my feelings about the song -- it is very powerful and I get swept up in the audience reaction to it. Still, when it comes up on my iPod, I skip it. :fisch:

Well, the reason I don't like Celebrate, and BIOTG is because, though the verses sound good, the choruses are lame. For me, if a song has a chorus, the verse should build up to the chorus, then the chorus should explode. But those songs don't do that. They just seem to fizzle out in the chorus part, so, for me, they disappoint. Yet both were singles, which was a shame, in my own opinion.

I agree with you about Celebrate, even though I have fond memories of it from seeing it performed live. It's just a very weak song, and just didn't work as a single. :sad: The acoustic version, with the China Boy bit added, is marginally better, and makes me think I might have liked the song more in its original, pre-Pharrell state.

Blame it on the Girls, though, I think *should* have been a bigger single, especially here in the US. When I first heard TBWKTM, it was my favorite of the uptempo songs. I thought it had real potential, but it just wasn't promoted very well, and the video did nothing to help it.

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I felt the same way about Any Other World but it all changed when I saw a London show and he had a string section. I didn't even like Happy Ending much until I heard it live.

I put on TOOL yesterday for the first time in a year and I still think Celebrate is pretty good. :naughty: Is it a lead single for this particular album? Was it going to give Mika a comeback or a breakthrough in markets where he was struggling? Probably not. But it's still better than hearing Miley whine off pitch about a wrecking ball. And I would rather listen to Celebrate than Chiara's Stardust or Ariana's Popular as well.

Karen will never grow on me. "Elle est libre" and "eraaaaaaaaaase" are exactly the same nails-on-chalkboard sound and the live version is not better.

Reading back and it's really funny because we all have different tastes when it comes to Mika songs which makes sense because we are all different :wink2: but it seems everyone agrees that live he's at his best :mikalove: and we all love him for different reasons and different songs but we are all fans this is what brings us together on MFC and what makes us be a Mika family :group_hug:

Reading back and it's really funny because we all have different tastes when it comes to Mika songs which makes sense because we are all different :wink2: but it seems everyone agrees that live he's at his best :mikalove: and we all love him for different reasons and different songs but we are all fans this is what brings us together on MFC and what makes us be a Mika family :group_hug:

I tottaly agree! :thumb_yello:

Umm.. I haven't song of Mika that I hate,really :teehee: I like BIOTG too,Celebrate ,Over My Shoulder,Lola,Emily,Elle Me Dit I think they're good. My favourites of his songs... I have many favourite,I always listen to Relax,Rain,Grace Kelly,OOL (new version) an others.. :fisch:

Umm.. I haven't song of Mika that I hate,really :teehee: I like BIOTG too,Celebrate ,Over My Shoulder,Lola,Emily,Elle Me Dit I think they're good. My favourites of his songs... I have many favourite,I always listen to Relax,Rain,Grace Kelly,OOL (new version) an others.. :fisch:

are there more versions of OOL??

• 2 weeks later...

can't agree more!

I think I'm the only one love chiara's stardust? I don't like the origin starsust first because I found it more like an old song of owl city, both in lyrics and arrangement. I don't hate owl city. i'm actally kind of fan of his old music. But they are just too different and I can't stand Mika is so like someone else. But chiara's version made me realize that it is still a mika song! The upand downin the melody is soooo beautiful!And now I like the original version too!

I like elle me dit and karen too. Especially Karen!

I think i'm kind of out of topic. :aah:This is suppose to talk about the songs I don't like. BIOTG a little bit. I think it is just typical Mika but nothing special.

Songs in TOOL, I don't hate songs like heros, kids, overrated and kind of starting loving them now. They freak me out first just because they are so not Mika. They are good songs individually. When I realize that I can't restrain him into the first 2 albums and I love most of the TOOL songs.

Old fans are always hard to please. To change or not to change, that is a HUGE question!:naughty:

can't agree more!

I think I'm the only one love chiara's stardust? I don't like the origin starsust first because I found it more like an old song of owl city, both in lyrics and arrangement. I don't hate owl city. i'm actally kind of fan of his old music. But they are just too different and I can't stand Mika is so like someone else. But chiara's version made me realize that it is still a mika song! The upand downin the melody is soooo beautiful!And now I like the original version too!

I like elle me dit and karen too. Especially Karen!

I think i'm kind of out of topic. :aah:This is suppose to talk about the songs I don't like. BIOTG a little bit. I think it is just typical Mika but nothing special.

Songs in TOOL, I don't hate songs like heros, kids, overrated and kind of starting loving them now. They freak me out first just because they are so not Mika. They are good songs individually. When I realize that I can't restrain him into the first 2 albums and I love most of the TOOL songs.

Old fans are always hard to please. To change or not to change, that is a HUGE question!:naughty:

you're not the only one :fisch::teehee:

I like Elle Me Dit and Karen, as well all the french songs, but EMD is my favourite from them :naughty:

you're not the only one :fisch::teehee:

I like Elle Me Dit and Karen, as well all the french songs, but EMD is my favourite from them :naughty:

WOW. It's nice too know!

You know my french is like crap. I'm just into the melody of Karen first but one day I just look a bit the lyrics and find it intereting. I spend 1 hour on my dictionary to understand the lyrics! It's just toooo beautiful!

WOW. It's nice too know!

You know my french is like crap. I'm just into the melody of Karen first but one day I just look a bit the lyrics and find it intereting. I spend 1 hour on my dictionary to understand the lyrics! It's just toooo beautiful!

agree with you, but your french is not as crap as mine :mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted:

btw I don't quite like live your life. It's not bad, but just too plain, and ordinary. hope I choose the right word. english is not my native language.

The song sounds like a little bit old fashion Mika but actually it's not! Old songs like lollipop, big girl are way much better and more interesting. To me it's just like a very ordinary American teen pop.The lyrics is just boring. Just my opinion.

agree with you, but your french is not as crap as mine :mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted:

:naughty:

if you are brazilian I think u will be at least good at spanish? The language are quite alike I guess?

I'm sure your french is better. Chinese language is so different from any other language in the world so it's hard for us to learn anything. And also make Chinese one of the most difficult language to learn.

elle me dit is way much better to me than the English version Emily to me!

:naughty:

if you are brazilian I think u will be at least good at spanish? The language are quite alike I guess?

I'm sure your french is better. Chinese language is so different from any other language in the world so it's hard for us to learn anything. And also make Chinese one of the most difficult language to learn.

elle me dit is way much better to me than the English version Emily to me!

one doesn't mean the other at all, but I can understand and write in spanish a bit :wink2:

and yay for the french version :yay::aah:

• 4 weeks later...

I can always find something special in Mika's songs, even if i have my favorite ones. I like his stile, his voice, his artistic world. I like almost all of them in some way.

Except for: :teehee:

1. Celebrate. I can't suffer it. Also in the acoustic version. I feel it really irritating. It has no sense for me, neither in the text nor in the melody. Or in the video. :fisch:

2. Sturdust in Benassi version. For me it's horrible. And the song is so good: the acoustic version and the last version with Chiara are awsome. But the Benassi version has almost destroyed the song. What was Mika thinking about?? :doh: In my opinion. :blush-anim-cl:

Okay... there are a few songs that I could do without but are okay, and there are a few that I don't like:

Demos:

Erase (Don't like)

Instant Martyr (Don't like)

Intoxicated (Don't like)

Gave It All Away (don't like)

LICM:

My Interpretation (Don't like)

Over My Shoulder (Don't like)

Any Other World (it's okay)

Billy Brown (it's okay)

SFS:

Lady Jane (Don't like)

Toy Boy (Don't like)

Lonely Alcoholic (Don't like)

TBWKTM:

I See You (Don't like)

Good Gone Girl (it's okay)

Dr John (Meh)

OOL:

Stardust (Don't like) - The one with Chiara is very good though.

Overrated (Don't like)

Step With Me (Like the verses but hate the chorus)

Heroes (it's okay)

I never used to like Love You When I'm Drunk, but it's just too damn catchy :teehee:

Okay, there's more than a few songs I don't really like :teehee:

Edited by nico_collard

I can`t believe someone doesn`t like I See You !:shocked:

This song is in my Top 3.

Well, tastes differ.

As to me, I can`t say I "don`t like" some of his songs, there are songs I skip when I listen to the albums. Or, it would be better to say - they don`t impress me that much. They are Relax, My Interpretation, By the Time, Kids, Emily, Heroes.

• 2 weeks later...
I can`t believe someone doesn`t like I See You !:shocked:

This song is in my Top 3.

Well, tastes differ.

As to me, I can`t say I "don`t like" some of his songs, there are songs I skip when I listen to the albums. Or, it would be better to say - they don`t impress me that much. They are Relax, My Interpretation, By the Time, Kids, Emily, Heroes.

Sorry :teehee:

The only song I don't like is Erase idkw. I listen to it with the hope that I like it but I can't! When TOOL was released I just liked 4 songs, then I started to listen the whole album and over time I like them all

same here! TOOL was so different, it took me a little to get used to his new sound, but now I love it!:teehee: