Are there songs by Mika you don't like?

ManonR

i hate remixes. :mf_rosetinted: apart from that, i always skip by the time and over my shoulder. oms is ok live (at least i can take lots of good pix while he sings it :teehee:), but i just can't listen to those 2 songs on the album.

and there are some more i'm fed up with cause i've heard them too often... lollipop, billy brown, big girl,... but mika can make more of them at the shows, i did love the lollipop version of the acoustic US tour. :thumb_yello: i hope he changes the other ones too for the next live shows. i can't get enough of love today and sitm tho, they still belong to my fave mika songs, even without changes. :wub2:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this topic very much since I have quite a few songs I don't like and when I say that to my friends which are also fan of Mika, I perceive an embarassed silence on my statements.

I literally adore Over My Shoulder which is with Underwater and Any Other World one of my best fav.

I discovered By the time some days ago and I can't stop listening to it. Discovered means I have listened to it many times before but I really started to appreciate it when I took the chance to read the lyrics about.

The fact is that I got struck by Mika's music because of the lyrics of his songs. Dealing with words most of my time, words are the most important thing in everything I read or hear. And obviously this case is not an exception. If lyrics do not impress me, I happen to skip that particular song even if it's Mika's.

I used to feel irritated by Love You When I'm Drunk. When I listened the CD in my car, I used to skip it. Then I searched for the words. And I got Impressed so much that now LYWID is one of my favorite ones.

And now the songs I don't particularly like:

1. Celebrate. I don't know, why, I find it kinda boring.

2. Make You Happy: don't like the electronic version. much better the acustic one

3. Overrated: I love the unreleased version, not the album electronic version

4. Lola: kinda boring.

I love GK, LT, Relax, Happy Ending (which I find gorgeous) but I feel like these songs are Mika's most popular songs so that I think them easyer than other like Toy Boy, Billy Brown, Lonely Alcoholic (which I think is astinishingly deep and moving).

I can say I like the most difficult and peculiar songs in the Mika's music better than the easyest ones.

Hmm. I can honestly say that there isn't songs that I dont like. I love every song. I've never had a favorite singer or a band until I discovered Mika. Before that, when somebody asked, who's your favorite, I usually said that I like some songs of that guy and some of that band but I don't have a favorite. Now i have and can say that I love all Mika songs.:wub2: Usually I don't like songs when i first listen them. I have to listen couple of times, before I start to like them. With Mika, I like them right away. Like, Karen, I heard it first time few days ago, how can you not love it.:teehee:

Edited by Anneli@Est

So, Do you have any songs by Mika that you hate?

The songs that I don't really like and the reasons why:

Billy Brown, I actually don't really know why I don't like that song, it's not because of the story, I like gay people. Honestly I really don't know why.

Happy Ending, I guess I don't like it because it is too gospell-ish... and in my opinion it is sung too high.

Over My Shoulder, just like happy ending, too high. But the lyrics are beautiful.

Kids, I don't know what's up with that song but Mika just sounds differend and not Mika-ish to me.

Well, I like your idea :aah: I adore Kids and love Happy Ending live by the way :wink2: And I adore Happy Ending (LA edit) from Song Book, it's a bit shorter and with more beats :wink2:

I never listen to Lady Jane, it's beautiful but too sad for me. The same with Lonely Alkoholic. I like OMS live but never listen to it on CD. I don't like Mika's cover to Satellite and can't stand remixes :aah:

About all the other songs... Well I always listen to Relax, Rain and now new version of OOL :thumb_yello:

Like Mellody, I hate the remixes. Otherwise, there is no song I really skip whenever it is possible but Make you happy. I tend to skip some songs or play them all, depending on how I feel. the ones I skip are Lola, Billy Brown, Blame it on the Girls.

Thanks for this thread :thumb_yello:

I skip Celebrate, it's so annoying for me (but I have fun when he sings it at gigs thanks to the balloons :naughty:).

I used to skip We are golden, but I'm now getting used to it. And, once again, hearing it live at a gig is really great, so much energy :wub2:

And Happy Ending is not special at all for me, I know it is for many fans, but maybe as one of you said it's because it's too much like Gospel... So I skip it too :mf_rosetinted:

The only Mika's song that I can't hear is Over my shoulder... I tried to like it but any attempt was useless :mf_rosetinted: its rhythm is too many sad and repetitive and cause me anguish :emot-sad:

I know everyone has different tastes and that's good but you should listen the version he did in US:wub2:

[YOUTUBE]BlWnhqA7ZYY[/YOUTUBE]

Don't you guys have it though, that for example, there's a Mika song, and you don't really mind it but don't really love it either when you listen to it at home, but then when you are in school or in a public place with friends, and the same song plays you get so excited and the song becomes amazing and perfect for you?

I know everyone has different tastes and that's good but you should listen the version he did in US:wub2:

OMG this one is my Utmost favorite version of OMS.

I feel moved and cry all the time every time I listen to it.

Love love love...

OMG you are right this is so much better!

I love how the end of his "coooold"s are opera-like.

And the Niagara Falls of sweat dripping from his hair, you can actually see the droplets landing on his legs. Lol!

this live version is incredible, so touching and the black and white effect makes it even more emotional :tears:

I'm sorry, still don't like it. But oh well everybody has differend taste

I have never really liked Big Girl. I also don't like Blame It On The Girls because I've always felt that the chorus lets it down.

If I'd had chance to listen to the Origin album, before the first single was released, and someone had asked me, was there a song that should not be a single, I would have said, Celebrate. It was a big mistake to have that as his first single, even with Pharrel Williams on the CD. It's the worst song on the album.

If I'd had chance to listen to the Origin album, before the first single was released, and someone had asked me, was there a song that should not be a single, I would have said, Celebrate. It was a big mistake to have that as his first single, even with Pharrel Williams on the CD. It's the worst song on the album.

i quite agree. but I won't be so sharp. most of Mika's songs have their time to be discovered. I happen to discover By the time, even if I had listened to it thousand of times. I might discover Celebrate too, it depends on the mood or period of life I am in ... I guess.

I'm iffy on Love Today, actually. I think it's just TOO happy sounding for me - I have to be in a really good mood or it annoys me.

But the only one I will always, always skip is Step With Me. You can tell he wrote it with someone else... the lyrics are just so cheesy and syrupy, when I listen to it I get weirdly embarrassed, for myself and for him.

No offense to anyone of course... especially since SWM seems oddly popular on tumblr.

Erase, I always skip this song... And Kids. Sadly, When I heard Kids for the first time live, I thought it was going to be the best song on the album. I was extremely disappointed when I heard it on the album. And it's a very boring song. And Erase's lyrics and the melody and even Mika's voice in it are very disturbing and annoying.

3. Overrated: I love the unreleased version, not the album electronic version.

I never listen to Lady Jane, it's beautiful but too sad for me. The same with Lonely Alkoholic. I like OMS live but never listen to it on CD. I don't like Mika's cover to Satellite and can't stand remixes :aah:

About all the other songs... Well I always listen to Relax, Rain and now new version of OOL :thumb_yello:

I don't hate any song, but there are some, I don't need to listen (too much) :teehee:

one song, I don't like is Overrated in the old demo version, but I love the "new" version on tool, it's one of my favourites.

And I have to admit, I don't really like Lady Jane.

I don't need to hear BIOTG, Celebrate, MYH.

Ah, yes, I do hate (!) the remixes :teehee:

No offense to anyone of course... especially since SWM seems oddly popular on tumblr.

Since Tumblr is full of 16 year olds who want to marry Mika this doesn't surprise me. :naughty:

I agree with Raya about Erase and Kids. Otherwise Blame it on the Weather has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life, nevermind a Mika song. The lyrics are so embarrasingly lame as to be a parody (written by someone whose first language is not English). I don't like Karen and some other French song he sang last year. My problem with all of these songs is they do not sound like they were written by or for Mika.

I also tire of songs like Bily Brown at gigs or think Lady Jane has some awkward lyrics or that OMS is a bit of an acquired taste. But I do have a sort of relationship with and fond memories of these and other songs so I would never say I dislike them. Lady Jane is actually one of my favourite live songs and I wish he'd throw it into a setlist once in awhile. It's perfect for an acoustic show.

i quite agree. but I won't be so sharp. most of Mika's songs have their time to be discovered. I happen to discover By the time, even if I had listened to it thousand of times. I might discover Celebrate too, it depends on the mood or period of life I am in ... I guess.

Well, the reason I don't like Celebrate, and BIOTG is because, though the verses sound good, the choruses are lame. For me, if a song has a chorus, the verse should build up to the chorus, then the chorus should explode. But those songs don't do that. They just seem to fizzle out in the chorus part, so, for me, they disappoint. Yet both were singles, which was a shame, in my own opinion.