Mika's 4th album will be 100% French

Nia-MikaHolic

Well, totally out of topic (but maybe not) I saw last night that Jodi Marr just had a baby girl... Maybe her time for Mika will be more limited in the coming months:blush-anim-cl:

I saw that too, and yes, it probably means that she can't work with him at least for a while.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The famous Télé 7 Jours interview has leaked on Twitter. He doesn't say anywhere that he is working on a 100% French album, just that he has written 4 songs in French for it. So now we can relax! :biggrin2:

PS: The interview is a nice one, even if I can't read everything properly on Twitter, we'll try to translate it asap

The famous Télé 7 Jours interview has leaked on Twitter. He doesn't say anywhere that he is working on a 100% French album, just that he has written 4 songs in French for it. So now we can relax! :biggrin2:

PS: The interview is a nice one, even if I can't read everything properly on Twitter, we'll try to translate it asap

Here is it:

Big thanks to @26141229 !

Be0VQQTIEAAVUOd.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/26141229/status/427020908751224833/photo/1

Be0VGyhIYAAWO7d.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/26141229/status/427020746201001984/photo/1

If this is true, I demand a full album of Dutch folk songs.

I mean, he was trending topic in Holland when he did this:

[YOUTUBE]mNuBeGFJrfc[/YOUTUBE]

So it would be the obvious thing to do:mf_rosetinted:.

:teehee:

Yes, it is always like this. When we have a Mika drought - no new music or gigs - then we fill in the time with speculations about rumours, reactions to tweets, detailed analyses of lines in interviews which were probably misquotes or mistranslations anyway, and generally greeting every new snippet of information with :overreact:

This may be interspersed with bouts of :fangurl: if there is an actual tweet from Mika (or more likely, from someone working with him) but it doesn't take us long to get back to :argue: again.

PS And despite this - or maybe because of it - MFCers are the best group of fans you could ever hope to meet.

I loved what you wrote, I think it's so true! :naughty:

And also disagree that French is not for songs, there are plenty of modern-sounding so ngs that are just as good as any songs written in any languages... (have you heard of Karim Ouellet for example?)

Ah, it reminds me that I forgot to check Karim Ouellet's music :aah:

Well first off...how do I put this gently...Doriand sucks!!! :aah: He is not on the same level as Mika or many of the other people that Mika collaborates with. The French version of Grace Kelly is an abomination and Mika should have found someone else to help him after that. Blame it on the Weather is the worst song Mika has ever come up with IMO so it's not an issue with French per se but the fact that Mika's idea of making French music has so far meant collaborating exclusively with Doriand and he's just not up to the job of inspiring Mika to make great pop.

Also I do not like it when Mika is heavily influenced against his normal style during English collaborations either. That's why I don't like Kids. It's not a terrible song, it's just a Nick Littlemore song and if I want to listen to Nick Littlemore I'll buy his albums. There is a danger of this with any collaboration but unless Mika starts getting some good and varied collaborators in French, then it seems inevitable in the case of French songs.

In many cases, as someone from Universal once explained, they want Mika collaborating with people just to help with the arrangements that end up on the record. He's already come up with the great melodies etc. himself. And yes people like Jodi Marr have also helped Mika with the songwriting but she is really good at it. And Mika can also write decent English songs on his own. If he gets to that stage with French then maybe I'll feel differently about it. But Jodi Marr helping Mika express his idea about Toy Boy to perfection and Mika interpreting Doriand's idea about aging are two totally different things. I don't care what Doriand thinks or how he sees the world or expresses himself. Mika may as well just sing Barbara covers in that case.

Yes I agree with you there. There is nothing inherently wrong with French or French pop. What I am not crazy about is Mika trying to be the second coming of Barbara or whatever. The songs are too old fashioned and I agree with Anne that the themes in the songs are kind of dreary. If you're going to sing about a hooker disguise it with a joyful melody and an imperative to "love today". That is Mika's strength in writing lyrics. Karen is just a misery to me, from the subject matter to the whiny "elle est libre".

And again this sometimes happens in English too. I don't want to hear a whole album of Pick Up Off The Floor either. To me a great pop album consists of songs like Stardust, Overrated, Relax, Love Today, Happy Ending, Rain and yes, Elle Me Dit. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate Un Soleil or Over My Shoulder, I just think Mika spending 2 or 3 years of his life working on an album full of songs like that is a waste because it won't be a great contemporary pop record and that is what Mika does best.

Could you explain me more in details how is Kids not Mikaish enough? And how Stardust is?

I totally agree that sometimes it seems Mika singing in French is like a second Barbara. Ma jeunesse is too much like that imo.

I do like Doriand and his songs, but it's true that they are not Mikaish. So, a few songs like that in an album are great to me, but not a whole album, or more in Elle me dit style.

Anyway, if he decides to try this new experience (:teehee:), I'll still support him by bying the CD, but I'll pray for a more "pop" album soon :wink2:

Usually i don't chat about rumors but today i try to launch myself in it... but then i will escape :biker: because i can't afford a lot of replies in english. :naughty:

My points:

1 Rumors

I think album in french it is not true but... maybe... Mister M realised just now that he is not able to finish a proper 4th album... summer is arriving and he sheduled a France tour... maybe in the past he wrote some frence songs already ready for the launch... so, under pressure, here you are the french album before summer (?!). Quite sad but true.

2 Market/selling or music/art

Music is music and when the melody is perfect language of the lyrics are secondary.

Mozart operas are the best even if the entire world hate to ear german language in music. (ok Mister M definitively is not Mister Mozart :fisch: bur it is just an example).

If the 4th album is in french and the songs are "art" i don't care if he does not sell album in the entire world. I will buy art instead universal popular music.

3 Credibility of pronunciation

In contraddiction with my opinion in point 2... The only thing can ruine a song is bad pronunciation of the language.

I understand french and i think that M pronunciation is good. But... Is it perfect? Only french people can confirm that.

If the pronunciation of french is perfect, art in the music will not be ruined.

Instead... italian fans are totally proud about the amazing ability of M to learn italian. When he speaks at Xfactor his choice of italian words is better than the other judges.

But... but... He is not able to sing in italian!

Not only he can not be able to write lyrics in italian but he can't afford an entire song becaus his italian pronunciation is very good to speak on tv (and he is the best comparing to other foreigners who work in italian tv for a lot of years) but not perfect to make art with the lyrics in music!

So i hope he will not do an album in italian even if my friend Robertina will be disappointed :mf_rosetinted:

Same opinion about dutch, sorry my friend Miss Ingievv :doh:

I agree with you :thumb_yello:

About Mika's pronounciation in French, it's really good, I can't hear any difference with a French native speaker

Yes, it is always like this. When we have a Mika drought - no new music or gigs - then we fill in the time with speculations about rumours, reactions to tweets, detailed analyses of lines in interviews which were probably misquotes or mistranslations anyway, and generally greeting every new snippet of information with :overreact:

This may be interspersed with bouts of :fangurl: if there is an actual tweet from Mika (or more likely, from someone working with him) but it doesn't take us long to get back to :argue: again.

PS And despite this - or maybe because of it - MFCers are the best group of fans you could ever hope to meet.

That´s life itself, baby!

That's hilarious! So basically, don't take anything too seriously, even if it comes from the man himself?

Me and my family follow F-1 and Indy Car racing, and during the off season there's tons of rumors flying around about who's getting fired, who's driving for what team, who sponsors will be, new paint schemes. They call it The Silly Season. That's what Mika Drought reminds me of.

Especially if it comes from the man himself :wink2:

Exactly what I was about to say.

IMO I consider a French album as I consider all these other things Mika is doing between album and album: a side project.

Something that only appeal to a concrete amount of people and not to the whole fanbase can´t be considered as a project per se. (And now I feel I can´t express myself in English anymore). I totally agree with the majority here, and if he releases it, it shouldn´t affect to the English album at all. I won´t buy a French album not even if it includes any Italian song as a bonus (LOL). He could either go for what his talent is made (to be a global star) or just go for easy money. His choice. In my particular case no English album means no need to spend money going to gigs this year :aah:

:group_hug:

Well first off...how do I put this gently...Doriand sucks!!! :aah: He is not on the same level as Mika or many of the other people that Mika collaborates with. The French version of Grace Kelly is an abomination and Mika should have found someone else to help him after that. Blame it on the Weather is the worst song Mika has ever come up with IMO so it's not an issue with French per se but the fact that Mika's idea of making French music has so far meant collaborating exclusively with Doriand and he's just not up to the job of inspiring Mika to make great pop.

Also I do not like it when Mika is heavily influenced against his normal style during English collaborations either. That's why I don't like Kids. It's not a terrible song, it's just a Nick Littlemore song and if I want to listen to Nick Littlemore I'll buy his albums. There is a danger of this with any collaboration but unless Mika starts getting some good and varied collaborators in French, then it seems inevitable in the case of French songs.

In many cases, as someone from Universal once explained, they want Mika collaborating with people just to help with the arrangements that end up on the record. He's already come up with the great melodies etc. himself. And yes people like Jodi Marr have also helped Mika with the songwriting but she is really good at it. And Mika can also write decent English songs on his own. If he gets to that stage with French then maybe I'll feel differently about it. But Jodi Marr helping Mika express his idea about Toy Boy to perfection and Mika interpreting Doriand's idea about aging are two totally different things. I don't care what Doriand thinks or how he sees the world or expresses himself. Mika may as well just sing Barbara covers in that case.

Yes I agree with you there. There is nothing inherently wrong with French or French pop. What I am not crazy about is Mika trying to be the second coming of Barbara or whatever. The songs are too old fashioned and I agree with Anne that the themes in the songs are kind of dreary. If you're going to sing about a hooker disguise it with a joyful melody and an imperative to "love today". That is Mika's strength in writing lyrics. Karen is just a misery to me, from the subject matter to the whiny "elle est libre".

And again this sometimes happens in English too. I don't want to hear a whole album of Pick Up Off The Floor either. To me a great pop album consists of songs like Stardust, Overrated, Relax, Love Today, Happy Ending, Rain and yes, Elle Me Dit. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate Un Soleil or Over My Shoulder, I just think Mika spending 2 or 3 years of his life working on an album full of songs like that is a waste because it won't be a great contemporary pop record and that is what Mika does best.

I agree... Grace Kelly in French just doesn't have the "je ne sais quoi" that it does in English. As a matter of fact, most songs that are translated from one language to another, suffer from that fate. Often, what made that song special in the original language is lost in translation.

When he sang 2 sentences of Grace Kelly in french in Jan. 2008 Bell Centre, i was ok with that, it was kinda cute. But the entire song in French is just awful in my opinion.

When i hear the "elle est liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiibre" part of Karen, it turns me off... like nails on a blackboard :naughty:

What means "gardé le cap"?

To stay on course

So in the interview posted above, he does mention working on his 4th album & seem to add that he wrote 4 french songs. He doesn't say his 4th album will be in french.

Poor M, with such pressure (a french masterpiece... :doh: a chef-d'ouvre... or nothing!).

Well yes that pretty much sums it up for me. If it's not going to be a masterpiece then forget it. :naughty:

I do like music he has done with Nick Littlemore (I like almost every song they have done together). But the thing is that I would never buy a Nick Littlemore album. I want to hear Mika singing :wub2:

I would never buy a Nick Littlemore album either...because I don't like his sound. I find it extremely dull. So Mika's voice is an improvement as far as Nick Littlemore's sound goes, but as far as Mika's sound goes it's not as good as most of his other music.

I mostly agree with you. Except on 2 points:

- lyrically, un soleil mal luné is close to a masterpiece and Ma jeunesse a real beauty. Since they are probably the last 2 songs they wrote together, there's hope:thumb_yello:

- Doriand wrote a song for the girl who won La Voix. It'scalled Le rendez-vous. While neither the girl or her style of music appeal to me, the song is not bad and quite successful.

The lyrics don't mean anything to me especially since Doriand is the one writing them. We all know Mika has not been writing lyrical masterpieces in French. Even his English songs are a bit weak in that area in most cases. It's the sound I have a problem with. It is old fashioned and boring. Like Allegra mentioned about Kids I literally do not remember the melody of Ma Jeunesse. If I heard Doriand sing it I would not recognize it I'm sure. If Mika sang it in English I would not recognize it I'm sure. This is not the hallmark of a good song (for me).

Well, totally out of topic (but maybe not) I saw last night that Jodi Marr just had a baby girl... Maybe her time for Mika will be more limited in the coming months:blush-anim-cl:

Oh wow so many babies! This is happening in my real life too and not just Mikaland. :naughty:

He doesn't say anywhere that he is working on a 100% French album, just that he has written 4 songs in French for it. So now we can relax! :biggrin2:

I don't know I still feel exactly the same way about it. :dunno: In fact I think it's pretty obvious that these 4 songs are the 20% which means there is still nothing happening on the English album front, so it's not the most encouraging news.

Unless Mika starts producing some really great French pop this is always going to be an issue for me because of Quebec. It means I get stuck with the French version of the album when I'd rather have an English deluxe and it means I am going to have to avoid the nearest city to me for gigs if I don't want to hear half a setlist of these songs that I don't enjoy.

Could you explain me more in details how is Kids not Mikaish enough? And how Stardust is?

I don't know how to explain it really, it's just a particular sound. Kids is flat and the chorus is really low and monotonous sounding (I think it's a duplicate of the vocals that lack harmony, I don't know). You know how grunge music all sounds like grunge? Well this just sounds like whatever it is Nick Littlemore does which bears no resemblance whatsoever to any other song Mika has made.

Stardust on the other hand is sparkly and melodic and dancey in a way that is not dissimilar to Relax. There is definitely a Benassi sound to it and it's a bit more trancey than Mika would probably arrange himself, but in that respect it just sounds like a Benassi mix and not some kind of fundamental change to a Mikaish song.

Although I like his French songs but I don't think it's a good idea either.

You can never give up sth you are really good at. And not just UK, what about other markets like Asia?

Actually I don't hate change. Maybe because I'm easy getting bored. I think changing and still Mika is a situation I can see in TOOL. At first I'm really upset about the album because I think the Mika I know is gone, which is actually a very common situation for many of the artists I love. But after a while I find the album, well at least most songs in the album is still Mika. The only thing I'd like to complain is that I think his voice is too beautiful to be autotuned.

Try sth new is always fine. Just don't lose yourself! That's my hope for the new album.

I don't know how to explain it really, it's just a particular sound. Kids is flat and the chorus is really low and monotonous sounding (I think it's a duplicate of the vocals that lack harmony, I don't know). You know how grunge music all sounds like grunge? Well this just sounds like whatever it is Nick Littlemore does which bears no resemblance whatsoever to any other song Mika has made.

Stardust on the other hand is sparkly and melodic and dancey in a way that is not dissimilar to Relax. There is definitely a Benassi sound to it and it's a bit more trancey than Mika would probably arrange himself, but in that respect it just sounds like a Benassi mix and not some kind of fundamental change to a Mikaish song.

Thanks, I think I will go listen to some Nick Littlemore's music to compare.

Although I like his French songs but I don't think it's a good idea either.

You can never give up sth you are really good at. And not just UK, what about other markets like Asia?

Actually I don't hate change. Maybe because I'm easy getting bored. I think changing and still Mika is a situation I can see in TOOL. At first I'm really upset about the album because I think the Mika I know is gone, which is actually a very common situation for many of the artists I love. But after a while I find the album, well at least most songs in the album is still Mika. The only thing I'd like to complain is that I think his voice is too beautiful to be autotuned.

Try sth new is always fine. Just don't lose yourself! That's my hope for the new album.

:thumb_yello:

Seems like someone is convinced he is doing this in French.

@VirginRadiofr 8m

Le nouveau coach de « The Voice » travaille sur un prochain album, entièrement en français!

Seems like someone is convinced he is doing this in French.

@VirginRadiofr 8m

Le nouveau coach de « The Voice » travaille sur un prochain album, entièrement en français!

Is Mika with "Virgin" or with "Universal" ? :blink: Is this radio a branch of the Virgin Group ?( I mean - is this source reliable?)

( don`t answer, I`m talking with myself....trying to believe HE WON`t DO THAT).

Is Mika with "Virgin" or with "Universal" ? :blink: Is this radio a branch of the Virgin Group ?( I mean - is this source reliable?)

( don`t answer, I`m talking with myself....trying to believe HE WON`t DO THAT).

I will still answer :naughty:

I think it's not a reliable source :mf_rosetinted:

• 2 weeks later...

whether it's true or not i will still buy it, cause i love mika's voice in any language. it would make it easier for me if it were in english but i have taught myself the lyrics of elle me dit so i think i could do the same over time if it did happen.