Mika's 4th album will be 100% French

Nia-MikaHolic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true, I demand a full album of Dutch folk songs.

I mean, he was trending topic in Holland when he did this:

[YOUTUBE]mNuBeGFJrfc[/YOUTUBE]

So it would be the obvious thing to do:mf_rosetinted:.

Thanks for your perspectives. I'm going to continue to consider this a wild rumor for now, because it just doesn't make sense. Why make an album that will alienate most of the fan base when an English album would be enjoyed by people all over the world? He's supposed to be gaining fans, not losing them. I would still buy an all French album, but it would not be the same.

One more question for the wise ones: is it always like this? As a longtime fan of Blur, I'm used to musical drama, but wow... Life for the Mika fan comes with great rewards, but we have to endure a lot of ridiculousness in between them!

One more question for the wise ones: is it always like this? As a longtime fan of Blur, I'm used to musical drama, but wow... Life for the Mika fan comes with great rewards, but we have to endure a lot of ridiculousness in between them!

Yes, it is always like this. When we have a Mika drought - no new music or gigs - then we fill in the time with speculations about rumours, reactions to tweets, detailed analyses of lines in interviews which were probably misquotes or mistranslations anyway, and generally greeting every new snippet of information with :overreact:

This may be interspersed with bouts of :fangurl: if there is an actual tweet from Mika (or more likely, from someone working with him) but it doesn't take us long to get back to :argue: again.

PS And despite this - or maybe because of it - MFCers are the best group of fans you could ever hope to meet.

Great idea!

As long as he doesn't make a song/cd with Paul de Leeuw.

Yes, it is always like this. When we have a Mika drought - no new music or gigs - then we fill in the time with speculations about rumours, reactions to tweets, detailed analyses of lines in interviews which were probably misquotes or mistranslations anyway, and generally greeting every new snippet of information with :overreact:

This may be interspersed with bouts of :fangurl: if there is an actual tweet from Mika (or more likely, from someone working with him) but it doesn't take us long to get back to :argue: again.

PS And despite this - or maybe because of it - MFCers are the best group of fans you could ever hope to meet.

That's hilarious! So basically, don't take anything too seriously, even if it comes from the man himself?

Me and my family follow F-1 and Indy Car racing, and during the off season there's tons of rumors flying around about who's getting fired, who's driving for what team, who sponsors will be, new paint schemes. They call it The Silly Season. That's what Mika Drought reminds me of.

Virgin Radio On Twitter: .@mikasounds travaille actuellement sur un album 100% français : http://bit.ly/1dS9vdK #VirginRadioActu pic.twitter.com/34yUwn4FDd

". @ mikasounds currently working on an album 100% French" :shocked:

What you think about that? I want many English song and few French,but I hope there will be English songs

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :crybaby:

I want songs in English :aah:

Italian or Spanish are fine with me too, but a whole album in French :sad:

I don't mind a few songs in French as for TOOL if he wants to , but all French songs is a depressing though to me...first of they won't be entirely his, since I guess he will write with Doriand again... so it won' t really be Mika entirely...and I really don't think French is suitable for songs , while English is such a musical language as well as Italian or Spanish, French is "flat" to my ears and as a result I'm not into French songs ...I only like some exceptions like Gainsbourg for exemple but as a rule I find French in songs boring and often totally depressing even...

Please :bow: ::overreact::sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'll do my best to like the fourth album but even if I like Elle Me Dit Karen Un soleil mal luné et L amour dans le mauvais temps , I feel extremely frustrated with this news and I hope there will be an English version of it (as for Elle Me Dit which is also Emily) ... all my Mika fav songs are in English , English is more Mikaish to me

So unless Mika writes with me :naughty: instead of Dorian I already know I'll have a hard time with his new album since the idea is shocking and disappointing me already :aah:

Unless it is pure genius so you'd better work your ass off Mika :mikasweat:

That's hilarious! So basically, don't take anything too seriously, even if it comes from the man himself?

Me and my family follow F-1 and Indy Car racing, and during the off season there's tons of rumors flying around about who's getting fired, who's driving for what team, who sponsors will be, new paint schemes. They call it The Silly Season. That's what Mika Drought reminds me of.

Especially if it comes from the man himself :wink2:

So true! Plus, I don't think we have to worry about any drunken drag racing from our boy.

:naughty::biker:

I absolutely agree with you Ingie , a full album of Dutch folk songs would totally make my day :naughty::thumb_yello:

Let' s start a petition online right now :wink2::mf_rosetinted:

But I swear I'm deadly serious when I say I love Ik heb je lief :swoon:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

Virgin Radio On Twitter: .@mikasounds travaille actuellement sur un album 100% français : http://bit.ly/1dS9vdK #VirginRadioActu pic.twitter.com/34yUwn4FDd

". @ mikasounds currently working on an album 100% French" :shocked:

What you think about that? I want many English song and few French,but I hope there will be English songs

No No No No No No NO

Hope it's 100% rumour, me no happy if it happens :sneaky2:

I think it would sell really well in Quebec because a lot of people hooked up on EMD and simply think he actually just sing in French:fisch:

No I think he is taken as a one hit wonder here. All my friends know him as the guy who sings Elle Me Dit and not more...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :crybaby:

I want songs in English :aah:

Italian or Spanish are fine with me too, but a whole album in French :sad:

I don't mind a few songs in French as for TOOL if he wants to , but all French songs is a depressing though to me...first of they won't be entirely his, since I guess he will write with Doriand again... so it won' t really be Mika entirely...and I really don't think French is suitable for songs , while English is such a musical language as well as Italian or Spanish, French is "flat" to my ears and as a result I'm not into French songs ...I only like some exceptions like Gainsbourg for exemple but as a rule I find French in songs boring and often totally depressing even...

Please :bow: ::overreact::sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'll do my best to like the fourth album but even if I like Elle Me Dit Karen Un soleil mal luné et L amour dans le mauvais temps , I feel extremely frustrated with this news and I hope there will be an English version of it (as for Elle Me Dit which is also Emily) ... all my Mika fav songs are in English , English is more Mikaish to me

So unless Mika writes with me :naughty: instead of Dorian I already know I'll have a hard time with his new album since the idea is shocking and disappointing me already :aah:

Unless it is pure genius so you'd better work your ass off Mika :mikasweat:

One thing I don,t get is why write songs with others in French is not good and "not Mka" while writing songs in English with others is prefectly fine? What's the difference? How can one process be so different from one another?

And also disagree that French is not for songs, there are plenty of modern-sounding so ngs that are just as good as any songs written in any languages... (have you heard of Karim Ouellet for example?)

I really hope this is not true, and to be honest, I don't really believe he's going to release a 100% French album. That would be a peculiar decision, that's for sure, and one that will make it difficult for him to sell copies outside of French-speaking countries

:group_hug:

Great idea!

As long as he doesn't make a song/cd with Paul de Leeuw.

Yeah :lmfao:

Not even if it comes from Mika, but especially if it comes from Mika. Mika is the most unreliable source of information about Mika. :teehee:

One thing I don,t get is why write songs with others in French is not good and "not Mka" while writing songs in English with others is prefectly fine? What's the difference? How can one process be so different from one another?

Well first off...how do I put this gently...Doriand sucks!!! :aah: He is not on the same level as Mika or many of the other people that Mika collaborates with. The French version of Grace Kelly is an abomination and Mika should have found someone else to help him after that. Blame it on the Weather is the worst song Mika has ever come up with IMO so it's not an issue with French per se but the fact that Mika's idea of making French music has so far meant collaborating exclusively with Doriand and he's just not up to the job of inspiring Mika to make great pop.

Also I do not like it when Mika is heavily influenced against his normal style during English collaborations either. That's why I don't like Kids. It's not a terrible song, it's just a Nick Littlemore song and if I want to listen to Nick Littlemore I'll buy his albums. There is a danger of this with any collaboration but unless Mika starts getting some good and varied collaborators in French, then it seems inevitable in the case of French songs.

In many cases, as someone from Universal once explained, they want Mika collaborating with people just to help with the arrangements that end up on the record. He's already come up with the great melodies etc. himself. And yes people like Jodi Marr have also helped Mika with the songwriting but she is really good at it. And Mika can also write decent English songs on his own. If he gets to that stage with French then maybe I'll feel differently about it. But Jodi Marr helping Mika express his idea about Toy Boy to perfection and Mika interpreting Doriand's idea about aging are two totally different things. I don't care what Doriand thinks or how he sees the world or expresses himself. Mika may as well just sing Barbara covers in that case.

And also disagree that French is not for songs, there are plenty of modern-sounding so ngs that are just as good as any songs written in any languages... (have you heard of Karim Ouellet for example?)

Yes I agree with you there. There is nothing inherently wrong with French or French pop. What I am not crazy about is Mika trying to be the second coming of Barbara or whatever. The songs are too old fashioned and I agree with Anne that the themes in the songs are kind of dreary. If you're going to sing about a hooker disguise it with a joyful melody and an imperative to "love today". That is Mika's strength in writing lyrics. Karen is just a misery to me, from the subject matter to the whiny "elle est libre".

And again this sometimes happens in English too. I don't want to hear a whole album of Pick Up Off The Floor either. To me a great pop album consists of songs like Stardust, Overrated, Relax, Love Today, Happy Ending, Rain and yes, Elle Me Dit. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate Un Soleil or Over My Shoulder, I just think Mika spending 2 or 3 years of his life working on an album full of songs like that is a waste because it won't be a great contemporary pop record and that is what Mika does best.

There is nothing inherently wrong with French or French pop. What I am not crazy about is Mika trying to be the second coming of Barbara or whatever. The songs are too old fashioned and I agree with Anne that the themes in the songs are kind of dreary. If you're going to sing about a hooker disguise it with a joyful melody and an imperative to "love today". That is Mika's strength in writing lyrics. Karen is just a misery to me, from the subject matter to the whiny "elle est libre".

And again this sometimes happens in English too. I don't want to hear a whole album of Pick Up Off The Floor either. To me a great pop album consists of songs like Stardust, Overrated, Relax, Love Today, Happy Ending, Rain and yes, Elle Me Dit. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate Un Soleil or Over My Shoulder, I just think Mika spending 2 or 3 years of his life working on an album full of songs like that is a waste because it won't be a great contemporary pop record and that is what Mika does best.

If he chose the path of becoming "new Barbara" or just "a new French singer trying to be new Barbara" - we cant help it.

But as I wrote earlier in this thread - this choice will narrow Mika`s audiences in many countries, like Russia, oriented at UK\US music industry chiefly...

I know no one cares about Russia here, but I just want to say: most Russian listeners will never buy an album in French, no matter how good music is... And trust me -no one will convince them that "these French songs are so good", even if they are so good. Come on, a great pop-record should be in English.

I know this discussion is mostly about uncomfirmed rumours , bur there`s no smoke without fire:wink2: As Robertina said - we `re bloody chatty :teehee:

Usually i don't chat about rumors but today i try to launch myself in it... but then i will escape :biker: because i can't afford a lot of replies in english. :naughty:

My points:

1 Rumors

I think album in french it is not true but... maybe... Mister M realised just now that he is not able to finish a proper 4th album... summer is arriving and he sheduled a France tour... maybe in the past he wrote some frence songs already ready for the launch... so, under pressure, here you are the french album before summer (?!). Quite sad but true.

2 Market/selling or music/art

Music is music and when the melody is perfect language of the lyrics are secondary.

Mozart operas are the best even if the entire world hate to ear german language in music. (ok Mister M definitively is not Mister Mozart :fisch: bur it is just an example).

If the 4th album is in french and the songs are "art" i don't care if he does not sell album in the entire world. I will buy art instead universal popular music.

3 Credibility of pronunciation

In contraddiction with my opinion in point 2... The only thing can ruine a song is bad pronunciation of the language.

I understand french and i think that M pronunciation is good. But... Is it perfect? Only french people can confirm that.

If the pronunciation of french is perfect, art in the music will not be ruined.

Instead... italian fans are totally proud about the amazing ability of M to learn italian. When he speaks at Xfactor his choice of italian words is better than the other judges.

But... but... He is not able to sing in italian!

Not only he can not be able to write lyrics in italian but he can't afford an entire song becaus his italian pronunciation is very good to speak on tv (and he is the best comparing to other foreigners who work in italian tv for a lot of years) but not perfect to make art with the lyrics in music!

So i hope he will not do an album in italian even if my friend Robertina will be disappointed :mf_rosetinted:

Same opinion about dutch, sorry my friend Miss Ingievv :doh:

:bye:

:biker:

P.S. Our dear Christine mentioned "Kids". For few minutes i was not able to remember the melody of the song. As i'am M fan, if you mention a song, a cover or everything M sang in the 2007/2010 period i'm able to sing in my mind even if i can not rember all the words. It is very sad i already canceled from my memory a song (good or not good) of the last album. But it is not my fault, M himself erase songs from our memory if he does not sing them in concerts and if Universal does not launch singles :no:

A more concise opinion:

Ok an album in frech if it is a masterpiece (so, possibly, whitout Mister D and without music for babies).

So i must delay my opinion.

Poor M, with such pressure (a french masterpiece... :doh: a chef-d'ouvre... or nothing!).

Maybe it is better an english album :thumb_yello:

I'm chatting with myself... Cool! :cool:

Another think about music and language of the lyrics:

I hate falsetto! (and maybe MFC will ban me forrrrever for this opinion!)

And falsetto is like a kind of language in music.

I accept Mister M falsetto because is part of his art!

So if a good, a very good song is written in arabic i accept it!

M could you please return to write completely in english, so i can stop to chat with myself?

My points:

1 Rumors

I think album in french it is not true but... maybe... Mister M realised just now that he is not able to finish a proper 4th album... summer is arriving and he sheduled a France tour... maybe in the past he wrote some frence songs already ready for the launch... so, under pressure, here you are the french album before summer (?!). Quite sad but true.

2 Market/selling or music/art

Music is music and when the melody is perfect language of the lyrics are secondary.

Mozart operas are the best even if the entire world hate to ear german language in music. (ok Mister M definitively is not Mister Mozart :fisch: bur it is just an example).

If the 4th album is in french and the songs are "art" i don't care if he does not sell album in the entire world. I will buy art instead universal popular music.

Oh, Allegra, I'm quoting you because you said exactly what I wanted to say :thumb_yello: I haven't much even thought about this French album rumor but in case it's true and not just a rumor the reason can be that he can't concentrate on a new English album yet and/or for practical reasons work in LA like planned but still wants to publish something new especially for the French markets during/after the Voice season. I would prefer new music in English (and I'm sure there is a proper new album in English coming) but I'm still looking forward to any new songs and I hope he has something new to introduce this year/summer.

I like some of his French songs a lot. Karen is one of my favorite songs. Actually, I like Doriand. He might not be a world class musician (meaning he is for smaller markets) but I like him and I like seeing him on stage with Mika. Also, even I love pure Mika music best (I'm referring to the songs you can immediately recognize his style, often finished with Jodi Marr) I do like music he has done with Nick Littlemore (I like almost every song they have done together). But the thing is that I would never buy a Nick Littlemore album. I want to hear Mika singing :wub2:

Edited by tiibet

Yeah :lmfao:

Not even if it comes from Mika, but especially if it comes from Mika. Mika is the most unreliable source of information about Mika. :teehee:

Well first off...how do I put this gently...Doriand sucks!!! :aah: He is not on the same level as Mika or many of the other people that Mika collaborates with. The French version of Grace Kelly is an abomination and Mika should have found someone else to help him after that. Blame it on the Weather is the worst song Mika has ever come up with IMO so it's not an issue with French per se but the fact that Mika's idea of making French music has so far meant collaborating exclusively with Doriand and he's just not up to the job of inspiring Mika to make great pop.

Also I do not like it when Mika is heavily influenced against his normal style during English collaborations either. That's why I don't like Kids. It's not a terrible song, it's just a Nick Littlemore song and if I want to listen to Nick Littlemore I'll buy his albums. There is a danger of this with any collaboration but unless Mika starts getting some good and varied collaborators in French, then it seems inevitable in the case of French songs.

In many cases, as someone from Universal once explained, they want Mika collaborating with people just to help with the arrangements that end up on the record. He's already come up with the great melodies etc. himself. And yes people like Jodi Marr have also helped Mika with the songwriting but she is really good at it. And Mika can also write decent English songs on his own. If he gets to that stage with French then maybe I'll feel differently about it. But Jodi Marr helping Mika express his idea about Toy Boy to perfection and Mika interpreting Doriand's idea about aging are two totally different things. I don't care what Doriand thinks or how he sees the world or expresses himself. Mika may as well just sing Barbara covers in that case.

Yes I agree with you there. There is nothing inherently wrong with French or French pop. What I am not crazy about is Mika trying to be the second coming of Barbara or whatever. The songs are too old fashioned and I agree with Anne that the themes in the songs are kind of dreary. If you're going to sing about a hooker disguise it with a joyful melody and an imperative to "love today". That is Mika's strength in writing lyrics. Karen is just a misery to me, from the subject matter to the whiny "elle est libre".

I mostly agree with you. Except on 2 points:

- lyrically, un soleil mal luné is close to a masterpiece and Ma jeunesse a real beauty. Since they are probably the last 2 songs they wrote together, there's hope:thumb_yello:

- Doriand wrote a song for the girl who won La Voix. It'scalled Le rendez-vous. While neither the girl or her style of music appeal to me, the song is not bad and quite successful.

Oh, Allegra, I'm quoting you because you said exactly what I wanted to say :thumb_yello: I haven't much even thought about this French album rumor but in case it's true and not just a rumor the reason can be that he can't concentrate on a new English album yet and/or for practical reasons work in LA like planned but still wants to publish something new especially for the French markets during/after the Voice season. I would prefer new music in English (and I'm sure there is a proper new album in English coming) but I'm still looking forward to any new songs and I hope he has something new to introduce this year/summer.

I like some of his French songs a lot. Karen is one of my favorite songs. Actually, I like Doriand. He might not be a world class musician (meaning he is for smaller markets) but I like him and I like seeing him on stage with Mika. Also, even I love pure Mika music best (I'm referring to the songs you can immediately recognize his style, often finished with Jodi Marr) I do like music he has done with Nick Littlemore (I like almost every song they have done together). But the thing is that I would never buy a Nick Littlemore album. I want to hear Mika singing :wub2:

Well, totally out of topic (but maybe not) I saw last night that Jodi Marr just had a baby girl... Maybe her time for Mika will be more limited in the coming months:blush-anim-cl: