NEW single BOUM BOUM BOUM out June 11th!

robertina

I know the song and I like it, but I've never known this isn't 'innocent'...:dunno:

Still don't know btw, will I know after reading the lyrics? Or does it have hidden context?

"Afternoon delight" is a little shag in the middle of the day. :teehee:

I was actually watching a funny old episode of Arrested Development the other day where young/old family members started singing this as a duet and didn't realize what the lyrics were about until halfway through. Awkward. :naughty:

"Afternoon delight" is a little shag in the middle of the day. :teehee:

I was actually watching a funny old episode of Arrested Development the other day where young/old family members started singing this as a duet and didn't realize what the lyrics were about until halfway through. Awkward. :naughty:

Ha cool! Thanks for explaining!

Are you playing devil's advocate? :wink2:

First of all I don't think he needs someone to tell him the meaning of his songs, especially as it is a non-commercial choice.

The lyrics are clear enough, and many of his songs (also in TOOL in songs about the relationship with his partner) have women singing in them, his backup singers were women and his backup singer now is a woman, so what's the problem?

We'll see the video and if he will have to make compromises in some countries.I hope not!

Who said there was a problem of any kind? :blink:

The only thing that is clear in the lyrics is that there are two people. Two people who could be a man and a woman as Mika has already suggested since he claims a man and a woman were his inspiration for the song. I don't necessarily believe that either since he talks a lot of spin when he is promoting his music and his story changes from one day to the next.

In my opinion the video is much clearer about the gender than the lyrics are :D

Oh "Little Mika" has been erased, shame. :lmfao:

I am really interested to see the proper video. The idea that this song is an anti anti-gay song sounds like something he just made up when the interviewer suggested it. :mf_rosetinted: Having a woman singing on the song is not going to give anyone the message it is about gay sex and if he is trying to make a statement I think Billy Brown was more effective. But that could all be changed with a daring video and I hope he puts his money where his mouth is. :fisch:

Who said there was a problem of any kind? :blink:

The only thing that is clear in the lyrics is that there are two people. Two people who could be a man and a woman as Mika has already suggested since he claims a man and a woman were his inspiration for the song. I don't necessarily believe that either since he talks a lot of spin when he is promoting his music and his story changes from one day to the next.

You are right.Regardless of what he has said in interviews, from what he says here:

, the video of the song, at least at the beginning, will not follow and respect the meaning (and the cover!) which he attributed to the song.I know, maybe it was just an illusion/fantasy that the record company would allow a video with a couple of two men!

His fangirls will be happy.

If this is true, let's say that the interpretation of the song is left to the person who listens it: furthermore if you think it's personal for Mika then it talks about two men, otherwise can also be a heterosexual couple.Simple.

Edited by charlie20

No, you are quite right to say that the lyrics are not especially and strangely obscene, and it is very true that other artists are worse, but I think that I am just not used to Mika singing this kind of stuff, although I absolutely love how the music sounds. :blush-anim-cl:

Love Today has also got some pretty racy stuff in it as well. :thumb_yello:

Okay, I admit I've been baffled by the translation involving the word "zoom" for a couple days now.

But now I see the altered english lyrics as "no need to use a zoom."

And

I think I understand and I wish I didn't?

EDIT: Just saw this:

"Translation of "Boum boum boum" by Mika from French to English

And all the sixteenth's bourgeois*

Wonder why I love you

No need a zoom to see it

When you and I are making boom boom boom"

NOW I understand... ignore me. :P

Edited by shouldilookolder

You are right.Regardless of what he has said in interviews, from what he says here:
, the video of the song, at least at the beginning, will not follow and respect the meaning (and the cover!) which he attributed to the song.I know, maybe it was just an illusion/fantasy that the record company would allow a video with a couple of two men!

His fangirls will be happy.

If this is true, let's say that the interpretation of the song is left to the person who listens it: furthermore if you think it's personal for Mika then it talks about two men, otherwise can also be a heterosexual couple.Simple.

On second thought, but if he speaks of a man who lives most incarnations, can we hope for a surprise, maybe at the end of the video?

What do you think?

Edited by charlie20

Alright, I've had a day or two to formulate all my thoughts on this song. Here goes:

If the new album will indeed come out in the next 5-9 months, there is still more than enough time to release a single in English. The album is still rather far away, so as such I don't see this as the suicide of his career in English-speaking countries as I originally feared. There is time. I don't believe he should give up the English speaking market as some have perhaps implied. I can't speak for the U.K, but his tour here in the U.S last year featured sold out venues, and I think a modicum of fame is still possible. (Will he ever attain Jay-z or Bieber levels of stardom? No, but I don't think he wants to, anyway.) A French single may in fact have been the best move he could have made, capitalizing on the public awareness of him in France before it fades away... provided he does, in fact, release an English single within 2-7 months.

I like the sound of the song. The chorus is actually my least favorite part as the female vocalist sounds rather grating to me - but it is certainly no more irritating than the Priscilla Renea version of Popular Song. To me, it's an irksome interruption of Mika's voice, which sounds gorgeous to me as an American who is blissfully oblivious of any errors pertaining to word emphasis, phrasing, etc. But it's not enough to make me dislike it.

The lyrics, from what I can understand from very literal translations, are a bit "Dr. Seuss meets Dr. Ruth" for me. Sex isn't my favorite subject matter for a song, but I don't particularly object. Is this going to be a new favorite of mine? No, far from it. But that's okay. What's more, the lyrics are co-written, which explains why it doesn't "feel" like Mika as much as one might expect and hope. I don't think collaboration produces his best work, and I don't think it's any surprise that "Step With Me," the only Mika song I will NOT listen to, was co-written. Since it's co-written, I don't think it's necessarily indicative of the themes or style of the rest of the album. I don't think we need to worry that it's an album full of boink anthems. It's just one song.

Which brings me to my next point: the common knowledge is that the "best" songs become singles. Based on that theory, I can understand why some people are worried about this being the lead single. However, I believe it is far wiser to use the most marketable songs as singles, and I'm sure no one will disagree that the best songs are not necessarily the most marketable. I hope and believe that that is what is happening here - Mika is no fool, and I don't believe that it's a coincidence that the lead single is happy, silly, and dance-worthy. That's what people want, especially in the summer. Does he think this is The Best sing from the new album? I sincerely doubt it. He is playing to trends, which, within reason, is wise.

(It's also worth pointing out that Mika almost certainly does not have complete control over what is released when. If anyone is mad about this being the lead single, they should probably direct at least half of that anger towards the record label.)

All in all, I just don't think there's any reason to be upset about this song. Even if you don't like it - it's just one song. It's okay not like one song, especially when there's so many reasons to think the rest of the album will be at least somewhat different. To say that it's vulgar is, quite frankly, ridiculous within the context of Mika's body of work. I'm not even saying the song itself isn't somewhat vulgar. However, this man:

-Is almost 31 years old

-Wore a pendant of a little naked man quite regularly for some time

-Wrote Lollipop (Yes, Buom Buom Buom is more overtly sexual, but I would definitely argue that Lollipop is much more crude in that it alludes to a rather specific sex act, whereas BBB alludes only to sex in general)

-Has referenced sex in lyrics more times than I have the energy to count right now (though I'd like to specifically mention the prostitution references in Love Today and the entirety of Toy Boy)

-Released a video featuring very in your face boobage (The Origin Of Love - yes, I know he wasn't in the video and it was created by someone else, but he surely must have signed off on it in some way, yes?)

-Is under no obligation to write "kid-friendly" music. (Seriously, he's not Raffi. Your kids can listen to something else - and in the case of young kids who don't know French, I doubt they would even ask you what it says, anyway.)

So basically, there's just no reason to be upset about anything yet. If you hate BBB... don't worry. If he releases another single, and you hate that, too... maybe then you can start worrying.

But in the end, Mika can do whatever he wants and release whatever he wants even if I hate it. Regardless, he deserves all the success in the world and I will be happy as long as he is.

(A final note: It is beyond me why anyone is upset about the cover art. For starters, the art for a single is pretty unimportant. But more than that, what more could you ask for? A more serious looking cover accompanying a song that calls sex "boom boom boom" would be bizarre, and not in a good way. As for the fixation on tribal masks - many artists have themes and motifs they return to again and again or get "stuck" on for a long time. It doesn't mean he lacks originality or creativity. Good grief.)

Edited by shouldilookolder
accidentally made a very redundant sentence

There's always a way to naturally explain these issues to kids. Sex is a healthy, happy thing in an adult relationship. Children who are too young to understand don't much ask questions but when they start to ask questions they deserve answers. The younger the kid, the more simple (but still true) answers.

I've always told whatever my kids want to know. My youngest was probably 5 when he wanted to now how gay couples can have children so I explained different options and he was happy with my answer. It's a bit embarrassing if a 3 yo sings boum boum boum, of course :blush-anim-cl: My youngest is now 10 and he learns French at school but the lyrics are still too difficult for him so I will shortly explain him that it's about making love (something like Lena just mentioned).

Thanks everybody for giving your advice on the subject sex and kids! I agree with you: it is not so difficult to take it in a natural way, and my children already know what they should know about it in that sense. My only problem with BBB is that making love is described as obsessional, like a drive he has anytime and anywhere! But anyway, I will manage! And there are, of course, things that are far more difficult to explain to children than love!

i hate the female voice.

i think it's too much "boom boom boom".

i love the middle part, where he starts singing higher and higher. :wub2:

no comment on the text. :aah:

as a french single, like emd, it's fine - but i hope it's not representative for the album. :mf_rosetinted:

oh, and thanks to kanni, i finally know now what other song it reminds me of - "spice up your life" by the spice girls! :fisch:

Completely agree with you... and I have to add that I like the piano at the beginning :wub2:

strange how i get the "boum boum boum" being repeated as it gives a beat to the song and it doesn't bother me ... but i couldn't stand the constant repeating of "make you happy" I actually skip this song everytime :dunno:

lol people are actually arguing on the sexuality of this song? I think that's very silly. I think its a lovely song when I first heard the snippit i wasn't a fan but as soon as i heard the full song I was captivated. Mika makes me see the romance in the french language, speaking as someone who couldn't stand the language before hand I think that's saying a lot. I am very fond of the music in it, it has this kind of...Latin salsa sound to it that i just adore. I ABSOLUTELY love the passion in his voice nearing the middle of the song, its like he has all this energy inside and he has to get it out through the lyrics and melody of the song. I have to disagree with Claire though...while I respect your feelings and opinion on the matter, I think it is lovely hes describing sex as this obsessive compulsive thing. What is love if not passionate and obsessive? If a person look at their spouse and the thought of being with them doesn't rattle through their bones than I would be sad for that person. love is not a faint candle used for illuminating small spaces love is a bonfire with huge licking flames, something that if you let it, could consume you entirely. I think this is something that Mika has represented for years...for almost his whole career. Mika has never hidden this fact and I hope that he never does because we need more attitudes like his. At the end of the day if the song makes you so uncomfortable just don't listen, but I don't think its a bad thing, sometimes its good to be uncomfortable.

I do love the music and absolutely love the lyrics :blush-anim-cl:

Thank for the English translation!!

I am not either French or English original, but English translation does helps a lot!!

Although I can't understand MIKA's songs written in French sometimes, I can still enjoy the music.

Looking forward to the 4th album and to more English songs. :mikacool: (French is good as well!)

All this debate on him talking about sex in his song...

For me it's perfectly normal, I don't see why society has to put sex as it's something nasty and gross, we tend to forget, that it is pretty normal, and necessary to all of us!

I know it's not a kid's song, but that's why he's not a kid's artist! he's Mika!!

Personally, I'm a 21 YO woman, who loves this song too much, and frankly, I wish someday, I can find someone who makes me see and talk about sex and love the way Mika does.

My mom asked me what the song was about, and she didn't react negatively, she just said, "that man is getting some boum boum uh?" and she said that it has a very nice rhythm in it.

So yeah, in conclusion, I love the song, It makes me smile, it makes me dance and overall it makes me happy even when I'm sick... Once again, thank you Mika!!!

why are the words "arguing" and "debating" even mentioned?

all i see is discussion and people giving their points of view....

let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill :teehee:

I ment "debate" as a discussion, hahaha not making it big, is just I'm not a native english speaker, maybe I used the wrong word!:thumb_yello:

Oh and what you said about the BBB repeating in the song, I love it too, it gives me the feeling of a constant rhythm going on!! I even woke up with the Boum Boum part in my head :naughty:

I'm not sure if it was posted somewhere. Here's the final french lyrics, I used the video with the lyrics and corrected the few mistakes. :blush-anim-cl:

Qu’importe l’endroit, le contexte

On a toujours un bon prétexte

Pour tomber nos « fruit of the loom »

Quand toi et moi on fait boum boum boum

Quand t’es pas là, j’fais n’importe quoi

J’prends des kilos, des tequilas

Je chante les chansons d’Oum Kalthoum

Je ne pense qu’à nos boum boum boum

Et tous les bourgeois du 16ème

Se demandent pourquoi je t'aime

Pour le voir pas besoin d'un zoom

Boum boum, boum boum boum

Boum boum

Hier on était chez ta mère,

elle a failli tomber par terre

En entrant dans le dressing room

quand toi et moi on faisait boum boum boum

Dans les ascenseurs des hotels

On sait monter au 7ème ciel

On envoie balader les grooms

Boum boum

Quand on reçoit des invités

On ne sait meme pas résister

Entre le thé et les Lookoums

Y a le temps d'faire boum boum boum

C'est vrai que les murs ont des oreilles,

Que tous les voisins se réveillent

Mais c'est comme ça qu'on fait l'amour

S'aimer comme ça, c'est pas vulgaire

On a toujours un truc à faire,

Les étagères font badaboum

Quand toi et moi on fait boum boum boum !

Un plus un, ça fait toujours deux

Deux plus deux ça fait tout ce qu’on veut

C’est comme les coups de Brahim Asloum

Toi plus moi ça fait boum boum boum

Pas la peine d’aller cavaler

Y a que ça qui me fait voyager

Pas les cocotiers de Touloum

S'aimer comme ça, c'est pas vulgaire

On a toujours un truc à faire

Les étagères font badaboum

Now.

I totally like the song and I've already learnt it and I'm singing it out loud whenever I can.

But we can't deny it's particularly explicit. I don't know your idea of romantic, but mine ain't wrecking shelves, squatting elevators and waking up the whole quarter. And so not being caught with pants down by momma.

Oh boy, how much I like this song.

:floor:

I can't really say anything in response to this, given a rather colorful past... :fisch:

:blush-anim-cl: It just shows that boum, boum, boum songs have been around a long time. Here's another one from the 70's about implied boum, boum, boum on an elevator. (I really liked this song when it came out)

http://youtu.be/_k9lXmpjGDg

I was thinking of that one when I thought of the 7th floor... :naughty:

Alright, I've had a day or two to formulate all my thoughts on this song. Here goes:

If the new album will indeed come out in the next 5-9 months, there is still more than enough time to release a single in English. The album is still rather far away, so as such I don't see this as the suicide of his career in English-speaking countries as I originally feared. There is time. I don't believe he should give up the English speaking market as some have perhaps implied. I can't speak for the U.K, but his tour here in the U.S last year featured sold out venues, and I think a modicum of fame is still possible. (Will he ever attain Jay-z or Bieber levels of stardom? No, but I don't think he wants to, anyway.) A French single may in fact have been the best move he could have made, capitalizing on the public awareness of him in France before it fades away... provided he does, in fact, release an English single within 2-7 months.

I like the sound of the song. The chorus is actually my least favorite part as the female vocalist sounds rather grating to me - but it is certainly no more irritating than the Priscilla Renea version of Popular Song. To me, it's an irksome interruption of Mika's voice, which sounds gorgeous to me as an American who is blissfully oblivious of any errors pertaining to word emphasis, phrasing, etc. But it's not enough to make me dislike it.

The lyrics, from what I can understand from very literal translations, are a bit "Dr. Seuss meets Dr. Ruth" for me. Sex isn't my favorite subject matter for a song, but I don't particularly object. Is this going to be a new favorite of mine? No, far from it. But that's okay. What's more, the lyrics are co-written, which explains why it doesn't "feel" like Mika as much as one might expect and hope. I don't think collaboration produces his best work, and I don't think it's any surprise that "Step With Me," the only Mika song I will NOT listen to, was co-written. Since it's co-written, I don't think it's necessarily indicative of the themes or style of the rest of the album. I don't think we need to worry that it's an album full of boink anthems. It's just one song.

Which brings me to my next point: the common knowledge is that the "best" songs become singles. Based on that theory, I can understand why some people are worried about this being the lead single. However, I believe it is far wiser to use the most marketable songs as singles, and I'm sure no one will disagree that the best songs are not necessarily the most marketable. I hope and believe that that is what is happening here - Mika is no fool, and I don't believe that it's a coincidence that the lead single is happy, silly, and dance-worthy. That's what people want, especially in the summer. Does he think this is The Best sing from the new album? I sincerely doubt it. He is playing to trends, which, within reason, is wise.

(It's also worth pointing out that Mika almost certainly does not have complete control over what is released when. If anyone is mad about this being the lead single, they should probably direct at least half of that anger towards the record label.)

All in all, I just don't think there's any reason to be upset about this song. Even if you don't like it - it's just one song. It's okay not like one song, especially when there's so many reasons to think the rest of the album will be at least somewhat different. To say that it's vulgar is, quite frankly, ridiculous within the context of Mika's body of work. I'm not even saying the song itself isn't somewhat vulgar. However, this man:

-Is almost 31 years old

-Wore a pendant of a little naked man quite regularly for some time

-Wrote Lollipop (Yes, Buom Buom Buom is more overtly sexual, but I would definitely argue that Lollipop is much more crude in that it alludes to a rather specific sex act, whereas BBB alludes only to sex in general)

-Has referenced sex in lyrics more times than I have the energy to count right now (though I'd like to specifically mention the prostitution references in Love Today and the entirety of Toy Boy)

-Released a video featuring very in your face boobage (The Origin Of Love - yes, I know he wasn't in the video and it was created by someone else, but he surely must have signed off on it in some way, yes?)

-Is under no obligation to write "kid-friendly" music. (Seriously, he's not Raffi. Your kids can listen to something else - and in the case of young kids who don't know French, I doubt they would even ask you what it says, anyway.)

So basically, there's just no reason to be upset about anything yet. If you hate BBB... don't worry. If he releases another single, and you hate that, too... maybe then you can start worrying.

But in the end, Mika can do whatever he wants and release whatever he wants even if I hate it. Regardless, he deserves all the success in the world and I will be happy as long as he is.

(A final note: It is beyond me why anyone is upset about the cover art. For starters, the art for a single is pretty unimportant. But more than that, what more could you ask for? A more serious looking cover accompanying a song that calls sex "boom boom boom" would be bizarre, and not in a good way. As for the fixation on tribal masks - many artists have themes and motifs they return to again and again or get "stuck" on for a long time. It doesn't mean he lacks originality or creativity. Good grief.)

90% of this is what I feel.

The other 10% not so much, as I prefer the album version of "Popular Song"...

:naughty:

lol people are actually arguing on the sexuality of this song? I think that's very silly. I think its a lovely song when I first heard the snippit i wasn't a fan but as soon as i heard the full song I was captivated. Mika makes me see the romance in the french language, speaking as someone who couldn't stand the language before hand I think that's saying a lot. I am very fond of the music in it, it has this kind of...Latin salsa sound to it that i just adore. I ABSOLUTELY love the passion in his voice nearing the middle of the song, its like he has all this energy inside and he has to get it out through the lyrics and melody of the song. I have to disagree with Claire though...while I respect your feelings and opinion on the matter, I think it is lovely hes describing sex as this obsessive compulsive thing. What is love if not passionate and obsessive? If a person look at their spouse and the thought of being with them doesn't rattle through their bones than I would be sad for that person. love is not a faint candle used for illuminating small spaces love is a bonfire with huge licking flames, something that if you let it, could consume you entirely. I think this is something that Mika has represented for years...for almost his whole career. Mika has never hidden this fact and I hope that he never does because we need more attitudes like his. At the end of the day if the song makes you so uncomfortable just don't listen, but I don't think its a bad thing, sometimes its good to be uncomfortable.

:thumb_yello: +1 for Sanfy!