2015 - Belasco, Los Angeles, California: 6 May - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

mari62

Looking forward to hearing from the 3rd tour and US concert!!     :usa:

Let us know how it was!

REPORTS 

PICS

VIDEOS

Oh my god, it was amazing. My favorite performance was Underwater, definitely. Followed by Last Party and, of course, Origin of Love. Will give a more detailed report tomorrow--just about to knock out! It was great meeting some of you from mfc!!

I don't know if it was just because it's been so long since I last saw Mika, but this show was really, really amazing. :wub2:

The venue was really pretty, an old theatre that I think is usually used as a nightclub. It was unfortunate because a lot of us had will call tickets that needed to be picked up at the box office, however the box office didn't open until the doors did. So while I was collecting my tickets, everyone who already had their tickets ran ahead and got the prime spots.

I got lucky though and eneded up with a pretty good spot. There was a DJ on before Mika (who accidentally asked the crowd "Are you ready for My-ka?" Ouch.) Finally after a million years, Mika came on.

He was rocking the same suit as in NYC, but in this stately old venue it actually made sense. About three quarters of the way through the gig he started cracking up and announced "I've split my trousers". Too funny.

He's done some really amazing things with the arrangements of the older songs. He has SASSED UP Toy Boy to a whole 'notha level. Singing "how could THIS be for rental?" and gesturing at himself. The crowd ate it up. And of course "Billy Brown fell in love with...me. *wink*. I kinda dig this sassy new Mika.

I love what he's done on Blue Eyes, adding the steel drum and playing around with his phrasing. I'm glad there's still room for Blue Eyes in the setlist. It's really held up well over time. I think the setlist was mostly the same as in NYC, though he didn't play Boum Boum Boum and he added Elle Me Dit.

He's in really amazing shape, vocally. I know on some rational level that he's incredibly talented, but after over two years without seeing him I kinda forgot how... captivating?...he really is. His voice and stage presence are really unlike any other. And one thing that really stood out after a couple years away from his shows is how he connects with his audience. I've been to see a whole bunch of other artists in the last while, and none have mastered that connection quite like Mika has. It's pretty amazing to see.

At the end of Underwater he had the venue turn off all the lights, so we were all standing there in darkness. He made some cheeky comment about it being easier to get naked in the dark (!) He then had everyone close their eyes and whisper "Underwateeeeer!" progressively louder until the whole venue was shouting it. It was a really cool effect.

The new songs are amazing live. I'm still on the fence about Last Party, but Talk About You is great and Good Life has the potential to become classic.

Oh, he also told us a story about how he was hungry before the gig and so his Mom went out to get dinner for everyone...and ended up picking up dinner at Hooters. :D

He eventually came out after the gig and signed things for the 30 or 40 people who had been waiting. It was all really chill, with very little pushing or shoving. Well done, LA crwod.

Overall an amazing gig. I can't wait to see him again, whenever that may be. :wub:

• Like 14

I don't know if it was just because it's been so long since I last saw Mika, but this show was really, really amazing. :wub2:

The venue was really pretty, an old theatre that I think is usually used as a nightclub. It was unfortunate because a lot of us had will call tickets that needed to be picked up at the box office, however the box office didn't open until the doors did. So while I was collecting my tickets, everyone who already had their tickets ran ahead and got the prime spots.

I got lucky though and eneded up with a pretty good spot. There was a DJ on before Mika (who accidentally asked the crowd "Are you ready for My-ka?" Ouch.) Finally after a million years, Mika came on.

He was rocking the same suit as in NYC, but in this stately old venue it actually made sense. About three quarters of the way through the gig he started cracking up and announced "I've split my trousers". Too funny.

He's done some really amazing things with the arrangements of the older songs. He has SASSED UP Toy Boy to a whole 'notha level. Singing "how could THIS be for rental?" and gesturing at himself. The crowd ate it up. And of course "Billy Brown fell in love with...me. *wink*. I kinda dig this sassy new Mika.

I love what he's done on Blue Eyes, adding the steel drum and playing around with his phrasing. I'm glad there's still room for Blue Eyes in the setlist. It's really held up well over time. I think the setlist was mostly the same as in NYC, though he didn't play Boum Boum Boum and he added Elle Me Dit.

He's in really amazing shape, vocally. I know on some rational level that he's incredibly talented, but after over two years without seeing him I kinda forgot how... captivating?...he really is. His voice and stage presence are really unlike any other. And one thing that really stood out after a couple years away from his shows is how he connects with his audience. I've been to see a whole bunch of other artists in the last while, and none have mastered that connection quite like Mika has. It's pretty amazing to see.

At the end of Underwater he had the venue turn off all the lights, so we were all standing there in darkness. He made some cheeky comment about it being easier to get naked in the dark (!) He then had everyone close their eyes and whisper "Underwateeeeer!" progressively louder until the whole venue was shouting it. It was a really cool effect.

The new songs are amazing live. I'm still on the fence about Last Party, but Talk About You is great and Good Life has the potential to become classic.

Oh, he also told us a story about how he was hungry before the gig and so his Mom went out to get dinner for everyone...and ended up picking up dinner at Hooters. :D

He eventually came out after the gig and signed things for the 30 or 40 people who had been waiting. It was all really chill, with very little pushing or shoving. Well done, LA crwod.

Overall an amazing gig. I can't wait to see him again, whenever that may be. :wub:

Catching up with the US gigs, you're my first review, and it's a fantastic one, I love it! :wub:  Thanks a lot   :hug:

Every time I open a thread about these last gigs in USA, I only read of people happy and enthusiastic about how the concert went and my heart melts with joy :wub2:

It's so good to see that Mika came back in this great way!

Thank you so much for your reports!!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for a lovely report - it really sounds amazing!! I'm so happy to hear that MIKA now

seems to start all concerts with my fav song Toy Boy, and that he makes even more out of it than earlier - funny and refreshing!

Also fab that he takes his time with fans afterwards - BRAVO MIKA!!!

Love,love

me

He's much more open now isn't he. I think it suits him because it means he can truly be himself. In the old days, I used to wish he would come out of the closet, because I always felt he was partly closed off with trying not to talk about it. Now, as the report above says, he's a sassy new Mika, and it's great.

I'm loving all the news from the concerts and the videos. Thank you to all who were there last night and at the other US concerts, it's great reading the reports and watching the videos.

Is it Good Life, or Good Wife? Either way, the song is sensational.

• Like 1

He's much more open now isn't he. I think it suits him because it means he can truly be himself. In the old days, I used to wish he would come out of the closet, because I always felt he was partly closed off with trying not to talk about it. Now, as the report above says, he's a sassy new Mika, and it's great.

I'm loving all the news from the concerts and the videos. Thank you to all who were there last night and at the other US concerts, it's great reading the reports and watching the videos.

Did you see the Access Hollywood video? He was talking about turning 30 and getting to the point where he's done with putting up walls. He really seemed to embody that in LA tonight. He was just doing his thing and owning it. It's a slight change from the Mika of days gone by, but in a really positive way.

I think it is Good Wife, but it was mis-typed "Good Life" on the setlist.

• Like 1

The title is Good Wife

I was so eager to read your review, Mana! I'm glad your experience was the same as ours in NY -- and I totally agree with you on all points. I have never felt a connection with a performer more than I do with Mika. He is just so masterful at engaging the audience, so charismatic. And I love the "sassy" new Mika, too -- when he sang "Billy Brown fell in love with... me!" I just thought, "How cheeky!" :wub:   He just never would have been able to pull that off before.

Sorry to hear that you had the same problem with the will-call tickets as we did at Webster Hall, though. In this day and age, I don't understand why they can't do electronic tickets for these gigs. :sneaky2:

Anyway, let's hope we can all see Mika back here sooner rather than later! As Monty Python once said, he's like a jam donut -- his arrival gives us pleasure and his departure merely makes us hungry for more. *sigh*

• Like 4

Amazing report Mana :wub2: I don't think it matters how long it's been, Mika will always be amazing.

Did he do the thrusting on the "how could this be for rental?" in Toy Boy? At Webster Hall when he sang that he had a face expression that kinda said "well, I guess I could see it..." haha! 

I'm glad this gig was great! Mika, come back!

Photos from Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevercoolinschool/sets/72157652351978476/

17398317222_8afbb65776_k.jpg

I NEED THIS HAT

Anyway, let's hope we can all see Mika back here sooner rather than later! As Monty Python once said, he's like a jam donut -- his arrival gives us pleasure and his departure merely makes us hungry for more. *sigh*

This is so true!