Porcelain - Lyrics & Discussion

dcdeb

Hi MFCers

I have just discovered this one, as it took ages to get the Deluxe album version "physically" at home.

I do love this song : piano + Mika's voice (treble) + strings (even synthetic strings, I realized at second hearing) =  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

The theme is so cute : fragile, just like his treble voice.

I go crazy (or my brain does) when MIKA's singing so high  :mikalove:  :mikalove:  :mikalove: 

I love this song

Really fragile, it starts as something floating for me...

Love his voice and the mellody

+1  ;) 

Same here

You quoted Tiibet, I do agree with you two, one of my favourites on the new album too  :thumb_yello: 

Noooo :no: Overrated is my favourite song from TOOL and I can't stand Porcelain. Someone asked me if "porcelain" was a euphemism for "toilet" and all I can think of now is Mika slitting his wrists over a toilet. I can't even listen to it. It makes me want to blow my brains out. :aah:

I do love "Overrated" because Mika's treble is so high I don't understand why you hate that one. Just because of the title ?

I don't see the point with "toilets" ??? Maybe because in France, porcelaine is something you use for many things but essentially plates and cups, (all food-relatives)  "Porcelaine de Limoges"  it is very famous, very fragile and very expensive too  ;)

Something quite "smart" actually...

Speakers with rhotic accents never use an intrusive R. So it's prominent in places with non-rhotic accents like most of England, Australia, parts of the US, etc. I don't think any region of Canada has a non-rhotic accent or uses intrusive Rs. Our east coast accents are closer to Irish than British English. I do believe you, I can't understand a word at first listening in front of an eastern Canadian customer (I have learnt english in England)

Edited by Sweetieval

Someone asked me if "porcelain" was a euphemism for "toilet" and all I can think of now is Mika slitting his wrists over a toilet. I can't even listen to it. It makes me want to blow my brains out. :aah: 

:lmfao: Sorry, I can't feel your pain as I love the song but now your comment made me think of a scene where someone is trying to smash the door of a china cabinet to make Mika stop singing :teehee:

To me the difference between OMS and Porcelain is that OMS was more abstract and raw. Porcelain is such a contrived piece of teenage emo which is ironic because OMS was written when he really was an emo teen  :naughty: OMS has always sounded like it's still at the demo stage but Porcelain is overproduced.

I think the only common thing, beside his falsetto is that he apparently wrote both at 3am in the morning and most likely feeling self pity.

I would personally love to listen to Porcelain in a more stripped down version but only because the production reminds me of this other song.

I do love this song : piano + Mika's voice (treble) + strings (even synthetic strings, I realized at second hearing) =  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

The theme is so cute : fragile, just like his treble voice.

Actually, I've been thinking that the lyrics on this album are more sophisticated than on his previous ones. (I don't necessarily mean this song, just in general.) Maybe it comes with age .. 

I forgot to add that it reminds me of Over My Shoulder, I think you all agree on this, and I just found out that's true, he told it himself (but I like Over my Shoulder more). I like these lyrics but I'm not into quiet songs lately....

That's the first thing I thought too when I heard this song! I think it's an amazingly beautiful song!

Funny as to me it was not OMS it reminded me of but a huge hit from over a decade ago  - mainly because of the piano riff. Most likely the whole instrumental part was added to the song by his collaborators though ...So I understand the comparison to OMS in a way (and he also said it), but to me OMS has classical roots whilst this one is 'just' a pop song - a really good one though. If I am to compare it to a Mika song, I'd say it is more like the version of  'Overrated' on the last album.

I remember learning about it at phonology / morphology classes at the university: it is called and intrusive R and as I remember we were told that native speakers all talk like that, independent of their accent. Now I realize it may sound odd / old fashioned even to native speakers :teehee:

This is really surprising me, because learning Greek and Arabic from friends, I was forever being told how impossible it is to make the English in general, including me, pronounce the R at the end of a word. I Sudanese friends getting really frustrated, and me saying "but that's what I said" over and over - not hearing for ages that I wasn't saying the R. Unless, as Christine says, the next word starts with a vowel.

• 3 weeks later...

Porcelain is so beautiful!!! :wub2: It's one of my favourites of the album. I don't know if it's just me, but I'm so emotional... it makes me cry sometimes when I listen to it... The lyrics seem quite sa to me... Still I love the song! His voice is just incredibly beautiful and the way he sings this song is touching me so deeply.

• 4 weeks later...

I love this song too, eventually.. ( I didn`t like it after first ( 2nd,  3rd... etc) listening), but now I do.  

It reminds me of Rain - not in a musical similarity way, it  is rather atmosphere and sense that  are same, the feeling of defencelessness and fragility. 

(this time I `m really happy with the bonus tracks  :yes:  :thumb_yello: )