MIKA at Sanremo Music Festival, Italy - 9th February 2017

Gabry74

I love his falsetto a lot, even when it sometimes sounds almost a bit painful. it's always beautiful and very unique. It must be something people generally either love or not and I assume we all love it (otherwise we wouldn't be here). But his effortless natural voice is the best part of his singing. It's the reason I fell in love with his singing in the first place and it's something that surprises me every time I hear it, my reaction is always like "omg he is even better than I could remember!"  :wub: No matter how many times I've heard his singing.

There is a local artist I often go to see in Helsinki. I really like him but of course not the same way I like Mika. Still, he is a very good song-writer and extremely professional as a musician, plays several instruments and almost always does his solo gigs without any setlist. Anyway, there's a lady I see there almost every time. She just stares this artist and as soon as he  starts singing she is full of love. I can literally see hearts in her eyes.

And she reminds me of something and I often try to figure out what it is but I can't catch it. You know when you have "something" familiar in your mind but just can't remember what it is? Last time I saw her I suddenly realized she reminds me of how I feel when Mika walks on stage and starts singing. Omg I am that woman?!  :shocked: Lol! My point is that in the end he can choose any songs he likes. I'm obviously not very demanding that way  :naughty:

Sorry something went wrong with the quote :doh:

Amen to that Nina :original: I too must have hearts in my eyes for Mika :wub2:  I was called eternal honeymooner regarding to him and I am forever :wub2:  Listening to Mika always makes me so happy :swoon: weither he talks or sings or does a TV show especially when it is his own one and a live gig takes me so high each time :wub2: Thank you for your words Nina :hug:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2

@Pascale,

I tend to agree with you. I'm really tired of GK because it doesn't sound as fresh as it used to be. And from some other songs - yes, I understand, he does the gigs not only for the hardcore fans, and common people are waiting for the 5-6 songs they know. And he changes these songs in the best way, making the whole show with LT (for example). But still..

Freddie Mercury (well, I didn't want to compare, but I can't shut up) has his voice changed drastically. So what? The funniest thing is that common people know him for his voice from 80s, and his precious voice of 70s is almost forgotten. He just started to create different songs. 

As for me, Mika's last album is the best. In fact, each next album was the best. It demonstrates, that his new material fits him perfectly. 

• Like 5

@Pascale,

I tend to agree with you. I'm really tired of GK because it doesn't sound as fresh as it used to be. And from some other songs - yes, I understand, he does the gigs not only for the hardcore fans, and common people are waiting for the 5-6 songs they know. And he changes these songs in the best way, making the whole show with LT (for example). But still..

Freddie Mercury (well, I didn't want to compare, but I can't shut up) has his voice changed drastically. So what? The funniest thing is that common people know him for his voice from 80s, and his precious voice of 70s is almost forgotten. He just started to create different songs. 

As for me, Mika's last album is the best. In fact, each next album was the best. It demonstrates, that his new material fits him perfectly. 

I still love all his songs that made me fall for him in the first place (and there are some songs I will always skip as well) and it's the same for each album. I have the ones I love and a few I always skip , but when I fall in love with a Mika song it's truly forever and I never get tired of it.Starting with the one I like less to my most loved ones TBWKTM because it didn't let me get into Mika's world instantly like the others, then LICM, then TOOL, then NPiH, but again in each of those albums there are songs that I can listen to on repeat all the time and songs I always skip ...sometimes I love a video when i don't really care for the song , like Staring at the Sun is my fav video, but not my fav song at all...Anyway I'm so looking forward to the new treasures he will share in his next album and I'm sure there will be songs I will love even more, even though I thought Underwater would always be my fav and Good Wife is number one in my heart now :wub2: and it's hard to imagine a song I would even love better, but Mika always surprises me with doing that  :kaf:

• Like 2

I still love all his songs that made me fall for him in the first place (and there are some songs I will always skip as well) and it's the same for each album. I have the ones I love and a few I always skip , but when I fall in love with a Mika song it's truly forever and I never get tired of it.Starting with the one I like less to my most loved ones TBWKTM because it didn't let me get into Mika's world instantly like the others, then LICM, then TOOL, then NPiH, but again in each of those albums there are songs that I can listen to on repeat all the time and songs I always skip ...sometimes I love a video when i don't really care for the song , like Staring at the Sun is my fav video, but not my fav song at all...Anyway I'm so looking forward to the new treasures he will share in his next album and I'm sure there will be songs I will love even more, even though I thought Underwater would always be my fav and Good Wife is number one in my heart now :wub2: and it's hard to imagine a song I would even love better, but Mika always surprises me with doing that  :kaf:

Yes, my beloved songs stay forever, too :) And Ring Ring will stay my fave from the 1 album :)

But really, he has so many newer songs! if he likes to sing some old things, let it be something unfairly forgotten :)

Well, this is my opinion about the medley. The Jesus song he sang much better than I expected! Yes, there are some weak moments, but in the whole it was very touching, and in spite the flaws I can't stop listening to it every evening. 

Ah, maybe it's already not that relevant, but his falsetto depends on the choice of the song and on his mood. The catchiest cover lately have been "I only Wanna be with You". Really, he performed it so flawlessly than I can't stop admiring it.  

• Like 2

Yes, my beloved songs stay forever, too :) And Ring Ring will stay my fave from the 1 album :)

But really, he has so many newer songs! if he likes to sing some old things, let it be something unfairly forgotten :)

Well, this is my opinion about the medley. The Jesus song he sang much better than I expected! Yes, there are some weak moments, but in the whole it was very touching, and in spite the flaws I can't stop listening to it every evening. 

Ah, maybe it's already not that relevant, but his falsetto depends on the choice of the song and on his mood. The catchiest cover lately have been "I only Wanna be with You". Really, he performed it so flawlessly than I can't stop admiring it.  

I agree with you :wub2:

• Like 1

I don't know anymore. I listened again to the Jesus song and I find it touching as well. But I'm also having problems with it. I think it's with the voice but I'm not sure. Music has so many aspects. I started this conversation with the remark that I have mixed feelings. That's probably the best conclusion for myself. The rest is rationalisation. Edited by Pascale
  • Like 3

It's the same for me. TOOL was my favorite and now I feel the same about NPIH. This is enough for me. If he can do an album that becomes my favorite (of his all albums) everything is well. Gigs are the most important for me and I understand his classics are included on the regular set list, the majority of the audience wants to hear them. It's similar for every artist. At home I listen to music only randomly. I never listen to music on the background, just thinking of it gives me a headache. When I listen to music at home I carefully choose the song. At the moment I listen to his covers, my favorite of new covers is still the one he did for Italian television show. A beautiful one! And of course I listen to Last Party and No Place In Heaven regularly. 

Edited by tiibet
  • Like 3

It's the same for me. TOOL was my favorite and now I feel the same about NPIH. This is enough for me. If he can do an album that becomes my favorite (of his all albums) everything is well. Gigs are the most important for me and I understand his classics are included on the regular set list, the majority of the audience wants to hear them. It's similar for every artist. At home I listen to music only randomly. I never listen to music on the background, just thinking of it gives me a headache. When I listen to music at home I carefully choose the song. At the moment I listen to his covers, my favorite of new covers is still the one he did for Italian television show. A beautiful one! And of course I listen to Last Party and No Place In Heaven regularly. 

:) I agree!  If MIKA keeps up his good work, with releasing great music albs. I'm very pleased! :thumb_yello:  For me NPIH is on top of his alb.list  :fisch: And if I can travel, now and then, and see a live concert, with setlist containing both falsetto and normal voice songs, I'm more than happy!  :teehee:  Thanks for the funny story about the lady,  getting hearts in her eyes as soon as her fav. singer is live on stage :naughty: I love it, and I'm sure we're like that ourselves, with both hearts and stardust in our eyes, when MIKA enters the stage,  and grabs the mic   :wub:  Long live the enthusiasm!!  It brings joy and happiness, and I'm sure it's healthy  :wink2: Looking forward to new MIKA music - perhaps this year ... :fisch:  :wub:

Love, love

me   

• Like 4

:) I agree!  If MIKA keeps up his good work, with releasing great music albs. I'm very pleased! :thumb_yello:  For me NPIH is on top of his alb.list  :fisch: And if I can travel, now and then, and see a live concert, with setlist containing both falsetto and normal voice songs, I'm more than happy!  :teehee:  Thanks for the funny story about the lady,  getting hearts in her eyes as soon as her fav. singer is live on stage :naughty: I love it, and I'm sure we're like that ourselves, with both hearts and stardust in our eyes, when MIKA enters the stage,  and grabs the mic   :wub:  Long live the enthusiasm!!  It brings joy and happiness, and I'm sure it's healthy  :wink2: Looking forward to new MIKA music - perhaps this year ... :fisch:  :wub:

Fingers crossed for new music this year! His plans for the new album are not clear to me, maybe he has said something about the timing in Italian interviews and I've missed it... At least there's another season for Casa Mika coming and writing something new for the show sounds good to me. 

Anyway, my original point was that going where his voice seems to naturally go wouldn't be bad at all, it is his strength. Curious to see what he wants to do. 

• Like 3

I haven't listened a lot to Mika's music lately. I also don't like listening to music as a background and there were too many other things and other music that occupied me. But now as a result of this thread I'm listening to NPIH (special edition) again and I'm feeling happy.

I can't say the last cd is the best. All cd's have some things and songs that I particularly like. But NPIH is the cd I listen to mostly. It still feels fresh and as Dreamy Queen says the new material fits him perfectly. I feel no real need yet for new music. There's enough for me to enjoy in the cd's that are there and in all the recordings of performances and tv shows. At the moment I'm not as absorbed by Mika as I used to be. Somehow going to the concert in Florence seems to have been a turning point for me. The infatuation is over for the moment. I still love him but I have other priorities now. (okay not always, Ordinary man is playing now; I feel infatuated again. Luckily Je chante is on next. I detest the production of this song, so it throws me right back to my own life and goals)

I'm looking forward to watching The Voice. I may have some probems with Mika's singing live lately (particularly with the old material) and I don't like everything he does and creates but I still love watching him, listening to his voice and words and following his development. And 'm going to France again this summer so listening to French is a goal for me in itself.

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 4

Magazine

Oggi N.9 – 23 Febbraio 2017

• 16 February 2017
Fazio, Totti o Mika: chi lo condurrà nel 2018?

L’eredità di un Festival dal successo clamoroso (più del 50 per cento di in media) fa spavento. guarda altrove.

Sembra invece che Fabio Fazio stia scalpitando.

Il presentatore, che ha condotto tre Festival di grande successo nel 1999, 2000 e 2013, ma uno meno fortunato nel 2014, non vede l’ora di tornare in pista.

Si affacciano anche ipotesi alternative. In molti vedrebbero di buon occhio al timone del Festival il cantante Mika, dopo il successo del suo one man show su Rai 2, Stasera casa Mika, e dell’ospitata all’Ariston il giovedì.

Non sarebbe male un Festival all’insegna della leggerezza e della comicità. Sarebbe perfetta l’accoppiata Ilary BlasyFrancesco Totti (il suo intervento al Festival ha divertito tutti).

Google translator

Fazio, Totti or Mika: who will conduct in 2018?

The legacy of the Festival by the resounding success (more than 50 percent on average) is frightening. look elsewhere.
It seems that Fabio Fazio is pawing.

The presenter, who has conducted three very successful Festival in 1999, 2000 and 2013, but one less fortunate in 2014, can not wait to get back on track.

Also overlook alternative hypotheses. In many would welcome at the helm of the festival the singer Mika, after the success of his one-man show on Rai 2, Stasera Cas Mika, and dell'ospitata Ariston on Thursday.

It would not hurt a Festival with lightness and humor. It would be the perfect coupled Ilary BlasyFrancesco Totti (his speech at Festival has enjoyed all).

32119065193_b07f32b688_o.jpg

post-18723-0-80327300-1487253449_thumb.jpg

32893407706_6df77bde84_o.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

I don't know anymore. I listened again to the Jesus song and I find it touching as well. But I'm also having problems with it. I think it's with the voice but I'm not sure. Music has so many aspects. I started this conversation with the remark that I have mixed feelings. That's probably the best conclusion for myself. The rest is rationalisation.

I decided to listen to the original, because the last time I saw that vid was million years ago :) (I had bad days at those times, so automatically the songs that I heard at that period are not my faves; Jesus fell a victim of this psychological phenomenon and I preferred not to listen to it all those years).

So, i found that the original and Mika's version can't be compared at all, because the manner of singing and thus the message are totally different. The voice of GM is calm and technically perfect, and Mika sang more passionately and nervously, but his flaws became for me more and more attractive with every listening.

I suppose, I don't have problems anymore with the cover :) (which I can't say about the medley).

• Like 3

I decided to listen to the original, because the last time I saw that vid was million years ago :) (I had bad days at those times, so automatically the songs that I heard at that period are not my faves; Jesus fell a victim of this psychological phenomenon and I preferred not to listen to it all those years).

So, i found that the original and Mika's version can't be compared at all, because the manner of singing and thus the message are totally different. The voice of GM is calm and technically perfect, and Mika sang more passionately and nervously, but his flaws became for me more and more attractive with every listening.

I suppose, I don't have problems anymore with the cover :) (which I can't say about the medley).

That's right he put a lot of passion into that song, and his version doesn't make me want to cry like GM's...

• Like 2

That's right he put a lot of passion into that song, and his version doesn't make me want to cry like GM's...

Really? Mika's version seems deeper in some way, but again - it is too personal, and everyone finds his own subtleties in both performances.

• Like 1

Okay, I tried it again. I just listened to both versions. I think they can be compared. You just did yourself and I completely agree with your comparison. Comparing two things doesn't necessarily mean saying which one is better. They both have their own merits. The smooth easy melodious way of singing of George is like honey on your tongue and his voice is amazingly rich and beautiful. But his version tends to become a bit boring and repetitive because of the strong 4/4 metre. I prefer the musical arrangement, rythm and intensity of Mika's version. The song is more interesting (IMO) when he sings it. However I don't find his voice strong enough to match the orchestra and there's too much struggle in the performance to my taste. Although that struggle may have been a boost to the intensity as well.

I must confess that this cover is growing on me. I wish I' d heard it live. I noticed before that Mika's voice sounds much stronger live than in a recording of a performance. Still I have the feeling he could do so much better than this. But let's blame that on the nerves. Or on my perception!

• Like 2

It's very interesting to see how people can have so different feelings and opinions about this subject,I find it very constructive   :thumb_yello:

I must say that I personally was prepared for a tedious performance,knowing the original version. Then I've seen Mika on the press conference saying how nervous he is about covering George Michael ( and it was pretty obvious) ,and that he'll try to do his own version,because the song is so difficult to sing,so I was ready for even worse...  But in the end his performance was far from being boring or lame,and I really liked it,much more than his medley. But of course I understand why people have mixed feelings,probably this song was not the best choice for Mika,at least this is my opinion  :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 3

It's very interesting to see how people can have so different feelings and opinions about this subject,I find it very constructive   :thumb_yello:

I must say that I personally was prepared for a tedious performance,knowing the original version. Then I've seen Mika on the press conference saying how nervous he is about covering George Michael ( and it was pretty obvious) ,and that he'll try to do his own version,because the song is so difficult to sing,so I was ready for even worse...  But in the end his performance was far from being boring or lame,and I really liked it,much more than his medley. But of course I understand why people have mixed feelings,probably this song was not the best choice for Mika,at least this is my opinion  :blush-anim-cl:

Haha, same here! The bold parts were my thoughts exactly when I was preparing to hear it. Maybe that's why my reaction was "wow, not that bad", especially after that medley. 

But now I so immersed into his version, that it became a must-have for every night when I switch on my PC. I would never believe it. 

Edited by Dreamy_Queen
  • Like 1

But now I so immersed into his version, that it became a must-have for every night when I switch on my PC. I would never believe it. 

I want to believe that George Michael would have love it as well,it was a heartfelt performance  :wub:

• Like 1

By the way, This performance reminds me very much of the performance of the cover She's always a woman to me http://www.raiplay.it/video/2016/10/Mika-canta-quotSheaposs-always-a-womanquot---Che-tempo-che-fa-del-23102016-3a2067ad-43b3-44cd-b1e2-7b30f87da0d6.html

He's also very nervous there, his voice is not optimal or the cover is not right for him, the performance is touching and intense and the expression on his face (did I do well? Oh I'm glad they liked it) at the end of both songs is very similar. Interesting that he chooses to do things that scare him so and that seem to be too demanding for his voice or nerves.

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 1

By the way, This performance reminds me very much of the performance of the cover She's always a woman to me http://www.raiplay.it/video/2016/10/Mika-canta-quotSheaposs-always-a-womanquot---Che-tempo-che-fa-del-23102016-3a2067ad-43b3-44cd-b1e2-7b30f87da0d6.html

He's also very nervous there, his voice is not optimal or the cover is not right for him...

In some way they are similar indeed,but I think he was way more nervous at Sanremo,at least this is my impression  ;)

• Like 2