MIKA at Sanremo Music Festival, Italy - 9th February 2017

Gabry74

I think that when it comes to his own (new) songs, he has started using his softer and lower voice more, as I I don't think there are any falsetto parts in NPIH songs at all. But when it comes to covers, he does seem to sing in a higher voice/falsetto more often than necessary. It seems to me that he views this as his trademark and perhaps he doesn't even realize how many people prefer his softer and more efortless singing. I wish he would do more of that too.

That's true about NPIH and actually my biggest favorites atm come from that album (but for other reasons as well). He still doesn't choose that singing style as often as he could. Maybe he really doesn't realize how much people love it. Lol, how could he not? His soft singing is like directly from heaven  :wub:

• Like 6

I completely agree with you. In NPIH there is only Porcelain that is sung in a high voice, but in the other songs he used a lot his natural voice. I agree that maybe he feels "compelled" to use falsetto because he thinks people expect this from him. In Casa Mika he sang couple of songs in italian using his lower voice and it was absolutely stunning, especially "Io che non vivo". I noticed that, even when he sing with his natural voice, he uses falsetto to reach the highest notes; it could be that his voice is not powerful enough to reach those notes without using falsetto? I know absolutely nothing about singing, so someone more experienced in this field can give me his opinion. Sorry for my bad English.

That's true about NPIH and actually my biggest favorites atm come from that album (but for other reasons as well). He still doesn't choose that singing style as often as he could. Maybe he really doesn't realize how much people love it. Lol, how could he not? His soft singing is like directly from heaven  :wub:

I agree with you completely. :wub:
  • Like 1

I don't have that feeling at all, I have really enjoyed everything he has done lately. But I do hope he is using this little break thinking of his music and creating something. It would make me so happy! He doesn't seem to have enough time for that in his hectic life.

This is not related to San Remo but I always wonder something, maybe someone can explain it to me. He doesn't seem to want to take his voice to its natural direction (with natural I mean natural with time and age). He could do it softer and I absolutely adore it when he sings like that :swoon:

But it's like he doesn't want to, he seems sometimes very stubborn with it. I don't understand why. His singing can sound so effortless. Why not to go that way. He writes his own songs. He has an amazingly beautiful voice, it's something special voice gods gave just for him, there's no one else like him. His voice can bring people to heaven :wub:

Maybe there is an explanation for all this and I just can't see it. I would be curious to learn it. I really know nothing about singing.

About San Remo. What happened with the door? Was it really locked? How could it be locked just for him? I didn't understand at all. Such a bad luck in his situation! Watching this massive publicity around San Remo made me think how deep he is in there already. It's a world of its own and totally separated from everything else. This is just a thought that now randomly came to my mind. I love Italy and I have never had any problems in focusing on France or Italy or any country.

Mika stubborn? No clue what you are talking about lol

That being said, I agree with you he should let loose the crooner inside him and start using more his natural lower voice :)

Edited by cathouzouf
  • Like 2

Thanks Eriko!! I'll found it tomorrow in my mailbox!! ;):wub:

You are welcome.

Could anyone translate it ?

We know he couldn't enter the stage from the door... poor Mika, that troubles ( microphone's ) made him sweaty so hard... :crybaby:

[ Mika e la porta in faccia ] mean ( Mika and the door in the face )

MIKA E LA PORTA IN FACCIA

Giovedì Mika (33) è stato protagonista di una grande esibizione sul palco dell’Ariston.

L’inizio però non è stato facile: la porta che dava sulla scalinata si è bloccata (foto a destra) e dopo qualche secondo di imbarazzo il cantante è stato prelevato dagli addetti (nel tondo) e, passando dalle quinte laterali, «buttato» in scena.

Yes..Eriko!

MIKA AND THE DOOR IN THE FACE

on Thursday Mika was involved in a great performance on the stage of the Ariston.

But the beginning was not easy: the door to the stairway is blocked (photo on the right) and after a few seconds of embarrassment the singer was taken by the insiders (on the round) and passing by the side wings he was thrown on the stage!

Poor Mika!!!! But it's a bit funny!

Sorry for my mistakes!!!

32779318271_ac7209a3a6_o.jpg

32512265960_fde4d6a8bd_h.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1

I don't have that feeling at all, I have really enjoyed everything he has done lately.

I'm glad you feel this way. For me it's different. I still enjoy a lot of things he does and find them good entertainment and a great promotion of music as a unifying and universal language. However with a few exceptions I do not experience the excitement and admiration I felt before. But probably this has more to do with me then with Mika and his artistic endeavours.

I agree with you and the others that his natural lower voice is much more attractive than the falsetto. Have been wondering about his attachment to the high notes as well. Maybe you're right and he thinks people expect it from him. Although I thought he doesn't like to follow others people expectations. But i guess it's difficult when you are this famous and idolized. Fame is a heavy burden.

Edited by Pascale

You are welcome.

We know he couldn't enter the stage from the door... poor Mika, that troubles ( microphone's ) made him sweaty so hard... :crybaby:

32779318271_ac7209a3a6_o.jpg

32512265960_fde4d6a8bd_h.jpg

Yes..Eriko!

on Thursday Mika was involved in a great performance on the stage of the Ariston.

But the beginning was not easy: the door to the stairway is blocked (photo on the right) and after a few seconds of embarrassment the singer was taken by the insiders (on the round) and passing by the side wings he was thrown on the stage!

Sorry for my mistakes!!!

• Like 3

Yes..Eriko!

Sorry for my mistakes!!!

Thank you for translating :hug: He turned it as a joke ,but it wasn't the best beginning for him and then his microphone ran away from him ...it was funny but it must have been awfully stressing for him :aah:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2

Tgcom24

12 febbraio 201719:21

http://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/televisione/domenica-live-serena-garitta-e-i-super-ospiti-di-sanremo_3056484-201702a.shtml

Domenica Live: Serena Garitta e i Super ospiti di Sanremo
La simpatica inviata è andata in giro per la città dei fiori, a caccia dei tanti VIP che hanno partecipato al Festival.
Al Festival di Sanremo, si sa, c'è una cosa più importante dei cantanti: i super ospiti. Serena, inviata di Domenica Live, si è messa sulle tracce dei VIP che hanno calcato il palco dell'Ariston in veste di ospiti, importunandoli a dovere. Fra la richiesta di un duetto a Ricky Martin e un bacio strappato a Mika in conferenza stampa, la Garitta sarà riuscita ad incontrarli tutti?

MIKA part of photo session and press conference from around 02:05

http://mdst.it/03v690009/

640x360_C_2_video_690009_videoThumbnail.

Edited by NaoMika
  • Like 3

You are welcome.

Hello Eriko :bye:

the above is a methaporic expression (we use LOTS of them in italian) as if you suppose a door is opening by itself but it doesn't, so you go ahead and beat your head on the door :banghead:

The meaning is a bit funny, since I see they put (in the circle) a close-up photo of Mika surprised but also amused    :doh:

Edited by Monsi67
  • Like 1

I think that when it comes to his own (new) songs, he has started using his softer and lower voice more, as I don't think there are any falsetto parts in NPIH songs at all. But when it comes to covers, he does seem to sing in a higher voice/falsetto more often than necessary. It seems to me that he views this as his trademark and perhaps he doesn't even realize how many people prefer his softer and more effortless singing. I wish he would do more of that too.

Yes, falsetto has become MIKAs trademark ;)  But as we all know he's educated at Royal College of Music in London, he has learned how to use his voice - and practised  for app.25 years now :fisch:   Honestly I don't think he cares very much about what people think, or wish, his singing to be like.  He does it his own way, the way he likes it best,  like everything else :)   We might like it or not, but that's MIKA :wub:  I personally love his natural lower voice much more than the falsetto voice - but on the other hand I find it very fascinating that he can handle "the full scale" so well... :wub:    

Love, love

me 

• Like 7

Yes, falsetto has become MIKAs trademark ;)  But as we all know he's educated at Royal College of Music in London, he has learned how to use his voice - and practised  for app.25 years now :fisch:   Honestly I don't think he cares very much about what people think, or wish, his singing to be like.  He does it his own way, the way he likes it best,  like everything else :)   We might like it or not, but that's MIKA :wub:  I personally love his natural lower voice much more than the falsetto voice - but on the other hand I find it very fascinating that he can handle "the full scale" so well... :wub:    

Love, love

me 

I love his falsetto a lot, even when it sometimes sounds almost a bit painful. it's always beautiful and very unique. It must be something people generally either love or not and I assume we all love it (otherwise we wouldn't be here). But his effortless natural voice is the best part of his singing. It's the reason I fell in love with his singing in the first place and it's something that surprises me every time I hear it, my reaction is always like "omg he is even better than I could remember!"  :wub: No matter how many times I've heard his singing.

There is a local artist I often go to see in Helsinki. I really like him but of course not the same way I like Mika. Still, he is a very good song-writer and extremely professional as a musician, plays several instruments and almost always does his solo gigs without any setlist. Anyway, there's a lady I see there almost every time. She just stares this artist and as soon as he  starts singing she is full of love. I can literally see hearts in her eyes.

And she reminds me of something and I often try to figure out what it is but I can't catch it. You know when you have "something" familiar in your mind but just can't remember what it is? Last time I saw her I suddenly realized she reminds me of how I feel when Mika walks on stage and starts singing. Omg I am that woman?!  :shocked: Lol! My point is that in the end he can choose any songs he likes. I'm obviously not very demanding that way  :naughty:

Edited by tiibet
  • Like 6

Tgcom24

http://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/televisione/domenica-live-serena-garitta-e-i-super-ospiti-di-sanremo_3056484-201702a.shtml

La simpatica inviata è andata in giro per la città dei fiori, a caccia dei tanti VIP che hanno partecipato al Festival.

Al Festival di Sanremo, si sa, c'è una cosa più importante dei cantanti: i super ospiti. Serena, inviata di Domenica Live, si è messa sulle tracce dei VIP che hanno calcato il palco dell'Ariston in veste di ospiti, importunandoli a dovere. Fra la richiesta di un duetto a Ricky Martin e un bacio strappato a Mika in conferenza stampa, la Garitta sarà riuscita ad incontrarli tutti?

Completely DON'T like this... I find this lady as representative of the worst TV we have in Italy, she has been insistent, annoying and noisy... poor Mika he has been kind but she didn't deserve it :sneaky2: 

Edited by Monsi67
  • Like 3

Yes..Eriko!

Sorry for my mistakes!!!

:freak: POOR MIKA !

Thank you very much !! :huglove:

• Like 2

Tgcom24

640x360_C_2_video_690009_videoThumbnail.

Thanks a lot for posting.

A part of Mika.

• Like 3

Love, love

me

I don't think he can handle "the full scale" very well at this moment. His non-verbal communication when he is singing with the falsetto often tells it all. It takes too much effort. That's why it doesn't work when he is nervous. Or to look at it from another perspective, maybe he is so nervous because it doesn't work so well anymore as it used to do.
  • Like 1

I love his falsetto a lot, even when it sometimes sounds almost a bit painful. it's always beautiful and very unique. It must be something people generally either love or not and I assume we all love it (otherwise we wouldn't be here). But his effortless natural voice is the best part of his singing. It's the reason I fell in love with his singing in the first place and it's something that surprises me every time I hear it, my reaction is always like "omg he is even better than I could remember!" :wub: No matter how many times I've heard his singing.

There is a local artist I often go to see in Helsinki. I really like him but of course not the same way I like Mika. Still, he is a very good song-writer and extremely professional as a musician, plays several instruments and almost always does his solo gigs without any setlist. Anyway, there's a lady I see there almost every time. She just stares this artist and as soon as he starts singing she is full of love. I can literally see hearts in her eyes.

And she reminds me of something and I often try to figure out what it is but I can't catch it. You know when you have "something" familiar in your mind but just can't remember what it is? Last time I saw her I suddenly realized she reminds me of how I feel when Mika walks on stage and starts singing. Omg I am that woman?! :shocked: Lol! My point is that in the end he can choose any songs he likes. I'm obviously not very demanding that way :naughty:

Mika is lucky to have fans like you. Of course I -as a fellow- fan thinks he deserves them as well. But the point is that he's not only performing for fans that are willing to love anything he does. If he likes the falsetto, of course he should sing with it. But then he might need a bit more practice than he has now. Even a good singing education needs to be continued. Voices change when you become older and not everyone is a Freddy Mercury. Edited by Pascale
  • Like 2

Mika is lucky to have fans like you. Of course I -as a fellow- fan thinks he deserves them as well. But the point is that he's not only performing for fans that are willing to love anything he does. If he likes the falsetto, of course he should sing with it. But then he might need a bit more practice than he has now. Even a good singing education needs to be continued. Voices change when you become older and not everyone is a Freddy Mercury.

:) We were both lucky enough to experience the Opera gig in Firenze the 30th Dec. :thumb_yello: MIKAs setlist there had it all, both demanding falsetto, and lower voice songs , and I can't say I heard any problem with his performance - to me it sounded like pure magic, all of it   :fisch:  :wub: But I'm not a singer judge, and I agree with you that being the best singer demands a lot of maintenance... :wink2: 

Love, love

me

• Like 4

I love his falsetto :wub: but I'm very curious to hear him singing Jesus To A Child or other covers for example like Ancora, that he sang in Stasera Casa Mika, without it, because I adore all the nuances of his voice!! ❤

• Like 3

:) We were both lucky enough to experience the Opera gig in Firenze the 30th Dec. :thumb_yello: MIKAs setlist there had it all, both demanding falsetto, and lower voice songs , and I can't say I heard any problem with his performance - to me it sounded like pure magic, all of it   :fisch:  :wub: But I'm not a singer judge, and I agree with you that being the best singer demands a lot of maintenance... :wink2:

Love, love

me

I'm not a singer judge myself and I'm not in anyway professionally involved in music. But I can hear the difference between the falsetto that Mika used to have in the beginning of his career and that I love ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4KeTfI9Bd4 or  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXZVOsrbRME)  and the falsetto in the performances at Sanremo -even in his own songs-. And I can see the difference in the bodylanguage. I'm pretty sure he was also nervous about the Rain duet with an opera singer but he didn't shrink or tried to push the notes outside of his body.

The concert in Florence was beautiful as a whole but I just listened to the recording of Stardust of the night on 30-12 and he is having problems singing the high parts there as well. 

I don't know what makes the difference. Age, nerves, not enough practice, too many other things that occupy him, some other things that I can't think of because I'm not an expert? 

It's not that I like to critizise Mika, I'd rather be a happy and content fan. But it hurts me when I see and hear him perform like in Sanremo and I can't believe he is happy with it himself. One lesser performance is not a disaster but to me it seems like it's a bigger thing than that. He is still a very gifted, charming and very musical performer but the singing is becoming a weak point and that's a dangerous thing for a singer. Having said that, I still love his natural voice, there's something magical and highly seducing in that, even when he is talking, like in his radio shows.

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 5

As for falsetto, I think he has to move on and use his low voice more, because it's his huge asset and it's a crime not to use it in the full extend (btw I'm so glad to hear him using more his lows the last 2 years than he did earlier). Moreover, I totally adore when he sings in a full voice, so my humble opinion is that he should better stop to restrain himself, especially in the parts when it's totally unnecessary. I can't understand WHY he chooses to sing in this manner? Well, as a option, at least he could do both ways... Taking into account, that he can't sing with falsetto that easily in a physical sense, like he did 10 years ago - it can be noticed comparing the videos)

Edited by Dreamy_Queen
  • Like 5

As for falsetto, I think he has to move on and use his low voice more, because it's his huge asset and it's a crime not to use it in the full extend (btw I'm so glad to hear him using more his lows the last 2 years than he did earlier). Moreover, I totally adore when he sings in a full voice, so my humble opinion is that he should better stop to restrain himself, especially in the parts when it's totally unnecessary. I can't understand WHY he chooses to sing in this manner? Well, as a option, at least he could do both ways... Taking into account, that he can't sing with falsetto that easily in a physical sense, like he did 10 years ago - it can be noticed comparing the videos)

I think he has lost some of the youthfull feeling of invulnerability. He sang completely unrestrained in the beginning. Look at this wonderful performance of Grace Kelly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xuow-2cyew All alone in the middle of a stadium, banging the piano like a madman

I don't think he can do it like this anymore and that's okay. People change and get older and that changes their performance. That's a very normal proces and I don't mind that even if I sometimes miss the arrogant little daredevil that he was.

As an artist you have to find new ways to express yourself and they have to work for you. Mika is certainly changing and exploring new ways that's not the issue. But IMO there's something going wrong lately and in this performance it was very clear. I know there have been many dicussions about him doing so many tv shows and not concentrating on his music. I don't know if that's the problem. The judging, coaching and his own tv show have worked out all right for him. He seems happy, made a record with some great songs on it, did beautiful things like the symphonic concerts and has touched a lot of people. 

However maybe it's time for a change again? I thought I would never say it but I would be glad if I don't hear him sing Grace Kelly, Relax or any former hit for a very long time. Nor any too difficult cover. Maybe it's an idea to finish his book? But he's smart enough to figure out what's good for him himself. If he takes the time to do that anyway.

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 3