Phobias and Weird Hobbies

Irem Aytepe

I've found this type of threads from the oldest area in MFC and I wanted to open a new one. Why don't we talk about this?

Do you have any weird or normal phobia? 

and

What kinda weird hobbies do you have?

About me,

I have a phobia of butterflies. They are so scaring for me. This is the weird one for the people. If I see a butterfly I start to escape. 🦋

I love smelling books. Especially new ones. Sometimes I go bookstore only for the smell of books. 📚

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irem Aytepe said:

I've found this type of threads from the oldest area in MFC and I wanted to open a new one. Why don't we talk about this?

Do you have any weird or normal phobia? 

and

What kinda weird hobbies do you have?

About me,

I have a phobia of butterflies. They are so scaring for me. This is the weird one for the people. If I see a butterfly I start to escape. 🦋

I love smelling books. Especially new ones. Sometimes I go bookstore only for the smell of books. 📚

Well, my mum is scared of moths, which isn't much different.

For me, it's spiders.  I just hate the way they move so quickly.  I have got slightly better with very small spiders, but big ones :eek:

1 hour ago, Irem Aytepe said:

That's classic!

:bow:Výsledek obrázku pro smell of new books

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, silver said:

Well, my mum is scared of moths, which isn't much different.

For me, it's spiders.  I just hate the way they move so quickly.  I have got slightly better with very small spiders, but big ones :eek:

My big fear is spiders. When i was a kid i was playing minecraft and i couldn't stand when i see minecraft spiders 🤣

• Haha 1

When I was a child I had a massive phobia of fire. I had to be taken out of nursery school one day because there was a camp fire in the next field over. I also got removed from the Armageddon ride at Disneyland Paris because I kept screaming. That fear has decreased a bit since I started studying them in my forensic science course. I am still scared of the dark, people looking through my window at night, Bloody Mary, clowns, cows, ghosts and mixtures of all these. Sometimes I get freaked out because I imagine a clown appearing in my mirror at night XDXD I need to stop watching horror movies. I have no problem with spiders or animals though. 

I also really hate crowded areas or small spaces with a lot of people I can’t escape from. And loud noises but I think that’s more autism than a phobia. 

In minecraft it was the endermen that scared me because they would appear out of nowhere XDXD

• Like 1

I have a HUGE phobia of bugs. The uppercase is not an exaggeration. I didn't know I had it until we moved to another place and were greeted by a revolting bedbug infestation a week later. The place was clean before but somehow a bedbug crept into our stuff and travelled with us or at least that's what we think. And weirdly it was the worst in my room. I cried. It was so bad. I had to live with those creeps for a day before we went over to stay at my aunt's place. It wasn't fear. It was a very deep disgust. Just the sight of them would make me dizzy, my skin would crawl and it was like my coronary was strangling my heart. Absolute nightmare.

• Like 1

I also have an extremely bad case of trypophobia and I know it's not characterised as a phobia (which I personally find offensive, it's HORRIBLE and again I MEAN every uppercase letter). This one caused me some trouble because I love biology and quite a few times viewing cells under the microscope was a trigger. I think it has become better with time but it's there. Googling trypophobia is still pretty much one of my greatest fears because the results make me want to tear all my hair out. I think both these phobias are related because I feel the same way when exposed to them.

Edited by Menahyl
  • Like 1

I also like to keep things clean. Stray hair is particularly annoying, getting everywhere. I like good smells. Like I had this candle with a rain and old book scent. It was heavenly.

I have so much weirdness to contribute to this thread, someone please stop me 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeirdChild said:

I also really hate crowded areas or small spaces with a lot of people I can’t escape from.

Same for me. I can't stand in crowded areas and small spaces. No breath for me, but I think it's about my panic attack.

26 minutes ago, Menahyl said:

I also have an extremely bad case of trypophobia and I know it's not characterised as a phobia (which I personally find offensive, it's HORRIBLE and again I MEAN every uppercase letter). This one caused me some trouble because I love biology and quite a few times viewing cells under the microscope was a trigger. I think it has become better with time but it's there. Googling trypophobia is still pretty much one of my greatest fears because the results make me want to tear all my hair out. I think both these phobias are related because I feel the same way when exposed to them.

I heard that before. A lot of people have it. It's ok for me but I can understand you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Menahyl said:

Is that the fear of small holes? I think that ones not completely unusual, you aren’t alone in that one. And it should be classified as a phobia, it causes the same distress as arachnophobia or claustrophobia. 

I can can see why biology would set it off. I personally find using microscopes interesting.

the bugs make sense too from an evolutionary standpoint. Bugs often indicate disease and decay, especially ones like bedbugs. Really this means you are clever XDXDXD 

as to you feeling the same way about your fears:

this is because when you are exposed to something you find scary, your brain triggers a specific response called “fight or flight”. This is a release of the chemical adrenaline so you are ready to either fight the threat against you or run away. People who are afraid also may need to bathroom and that’s because your body wants to be stealthy if you need to run away. The same process happens when you are exposed anything you are afraid of so you will feel the same way. 

• Like 1

I am afraid of a lot of human-resembling non-humans, like mannequins (like Resusci Anne, Harvey, and some store mannequins), humanoid robots (Sophia, Tara) and such. I believe this is called automatonophobia. Oddly enough though, I collect American Girl dolls and they do not scare me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Irem Aytepe said:

Same for me. I can't stand in crowded areas and small spaces. No breath for me, but I think it's about my panic attack.

I can't stand locked in small places. I always need an open window to breathe. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Irem Aytepe said:

I heard that before. A lot of people have it. It's ok for me but I can understand you.

I think it's important to say "I understand you" or to show that you are trying when people share their fears. I have had so many people make a joke out of this. This one girl would keep making patterns on a paper and be like "does this make you feel sick?" and I used to ignore her but this is far from funny. If you get your fill of humour from someone's misery or discomfort, you are an insensitive jerk. And I don't know why people fail to see this. It's not rocket science. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WeirdChild said:

Is that the fear of small holes? I think that ones not completely unusual, you aren’t alone in that one. And it should be classified as a phobia, it causes the same distress as arachnophobia or claustrophobia. 

I can can see why biology would set it off. I personally find using microscopes interesting.

the bugs make sense too from an evolutionary standpoint. Bugs often indicate disease and decay, especially ones like bedbugs. Really this means you are clever XDXDXD 

as to you feeling the same way about your fears:

this is because when you are exposed to something you find scary, your brain triggers a specific response called “fight or flight”. This is a release of the chemical adrenaline so you are ready to either fight the threat against you or run away. People who are afraid also may need to bathroom and that’s because your body wants to be stealthy if you need to run away. The same process happens when you are exposed anything you are afraid of so you will feel the same way. 

I would love to be clever without the whole "my amygdala is going to implode, what do I do, dshwunw?" feeling xD I am also picking on a very strong geek vibe here and I mean it in the best way possible.

@Irem Aytepe also me don't like butterflies  i know also me start to escape :yes: is terrible :(  especially falene not little butterfly no but falene are scared horrible. i like so much the bats yes but not butterflies no no no

Edited by Paoletta
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paoletta said:

@Irem Aytepe also me don't like butterflies  i know also me start to escape :yes: is terrible :(  especially falene not little butterfly no but falene are scared horrible. i like so much the bats yes but not butterflies no no no

Big and colourful one the worst one.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...