2019 Attitude Awards, Oct 9, London

Kumazzz

• 2 weeks later...

@Gemz

Here you are :bye:

On 10/11/2019 at 6:11 AM, TTel20 said:

or eBay

UK ATTITUDE magazine November 2019 MIKA cover & interview  https://ebay.us/yrLyOg

• Like 1

:brazil:

Põe na Roda

https://poenaroda.com.br/pop/nunca-vou-perdoar-a-midia-por-como-tentaram-me-forcar-a-sair-do-armario-desabafa-mika/

“Nunca vou perdoar a mídia por como tentaram me forçar a sair do armário”, desabafa Mika

O cantor Mika desabafou sobre a maneira perversa como a mídia tentou tirá-lo do armário nos primeiros anos de sua carreira.

Em entrevista à Attitude, o cantor de ‘Ice Cream’ falou sobre o assunto: “Eu era bombardeado com esse questionamento de todo lado e não me sentia pronto. Me lembro de um artigo de uma revista que perguntava à artistas gays assumidos pra falarem suas opiniões sobre minha sexualidade”, disse.

“Nunca vou perdoar pelo que fizeram! Por que isso? Especialmente envolvendo artistas que admiro. Achei perturbador na época!”, confessou o cantor.

Mika, que surgiu em 2007 com o megahit ‘Grace Kelly’, esperou até 2012 pra finalmente sair do armário publicamente. Segundo ele, foi o tempo necessário pra que toda sua família processasse a informação sem chocar ninguém.

“Nem todos entenderiam antes. Contei pra minha mãe que perguntou: ‘E daí? Sempre soube’. Somos uma família pouco tradicional e tem de tudo um pouco”, contou.

O cantor, que atualmente está em um relacionamento que já dura 13 anos, acredita que ser LGBT publicamente no mundo de hoje é muito mais fácil do que quando ele surgiu em 2007, mais de 12 anos atrás.

“Hoje é menos chocante. Claro que ainda é complicado, mas acho que dá pra ser bem mais tranquilo. Hoje em dia menos pessoas se chocam e dá pra levar mais de boa”, disse.

:uk: Google translator

Spoiler

"I will never forgive the media for trying to force me out of the closet," Mika says.

Singer Mika vented about the wicked way the media tried to get him out of the closet in the early years of his career.

In an interview with Attitude, the Ice Cream singer talked about it: “I was bombarded with this question from all sides and I didn't feel ready. I remember an article in a magazine that asked outgoing gay artists to share their views on my sexuality, ”he said.

“I will never forgive for what they did! Why that? Especially involving artists I admire. I found it disturbing at the time! ”Confessed the singer.

Mika, who came up in 2007 with the megahit Grace Kelly, waited until 2012 to finally come out of the closet publicly. According to him, it was the time needed for his entire family to process the information without shocking anyone.

“Not everyone would understand before. I told my mother that she asked: ‘So what? I always knew'. We are a little traditional family and have a bit of everything, ”he said.

The singer, who is currently in a 13-year relationship, believes that being LGBT publicly in today's world is much easier than when he first appeared in 2007, more than 12 years ago.

“Today is less shocking. Of course it's still complicated, but I think it can be much quieter. Nowadays fewer people are shocked and you can take more good, ”he said.

destaque_mika.thumb.jpg.132fafd8cff37c75a2c251903659451c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Attitude

December 2019 issue

The Virgin Atlantic Attitude Awards, powered by Jaguar, stormed London’s Roundhouse on Wednesday 9 October, bringing the glam to Camden with our signature blend of worthy award-winners, celebrity presenters and sparkling friends, supporters and sponsors. This year, for the first time in its eight-year history, the event was live-streamed, with Sink The Pink’s Glyn Fussell on hand to chat with stars as they walked the red carpet, before Katherine Jenkins and Tsemaye Bob-Egbe,from the Tina Turner musical, opened the event in style with special performances. After a three-course dinner, the 600-plus guests were fed a baker’s dozen of awards, with pronoun proroguer Sam Smith taking home the top gong as our first-ever Person ofthe Year, presented by non-binary friend and part-time drag queen Tom Rasmussen. The night’s Icon Award was collected by Dame Joan Collins, and rugby star Gareth Thomas gave an emotional speech as he collected the Game Changer Award, just weeks after revealing his HIV-positive status. In the year that the world celebrated the 50th anniversary of New York’s Stonewall Uprising, StonewallInn bartender Tree Sequoia accepted the Activism Award — presented by Dustin Lance Black — on behalf of all those who took part in the rebellion, as he did on that fateful night in 1969. Actor and former cover star Taron Egerton collected the Film Award for Elton John biopic Rocketman, presented by Queer Eye’s devilishly dapper Tan France, while Christine and the Queens bounded on to the stage as the winner ofthe Artist Award. Our Hero Award honoured Ruth Coker Burks, a true ally who cared for hundreds of dying gay men during the Aids epidemic. Appearing via video link to present her award was her friend, the 42nd President of the United States, Bill Clinton. Other winners were Dr Ranj (TV Award), Armistead Maupin (Literary Award), Russell T Davies (Culture Award), and Peppermint (Inspiration Award). Ava Max, winner of the Breakthrough Award, performed her single Sweet but Psycho, and Music Award winner Mika treated guests to a five-song set to close the ceremony, while host Ross Mathews had the audience in fi ts of laughter throughout the evening. There were plenty of sore heads at Attitude Towers the next morning, but we don’t regret a second . To all our winners, we salute you. Time to start planning how to top it next year...

2019_December_Attitude_p._116.thumb.jpg.fc4bad4602fef30e33ffa93ecb506fa5.jpg

2019_December_Attitude_p_116.thumb.jpg.51fa36b5bf3b2017b8c8905908555f75.jpg2019_December_Attitude_p_117.thumb.jpg.735927857acb693d1995de8f92e891bd.jpg

2019_December_Attitude_p._119.thumb.jpg.d7e437de7d4b7a2a7d82c67d9b543545.jpg

2019_December_Attitude_p_118.thumb.jpg.1bba08bf9c12a981a8830a09ca880956.jpg2019_December_Attitude_p_119.thumb.jpg.d73122fb921022407c7bc76ca7d923c5.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What a candid interview, I loved reading it.

Btw do you think it’s true what he says about “it’s better to not meet your heroes”? Or did he say that because he was disappointed that Rufus didn’t show up (so far) to one of his shows?

I think that did change though, Rufus did something for I Love Beirut and he expressed the desire to collaborate. I hope he now feels that dream not only came true - it’s even improved :wink2:

• Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 7:50 AM, Kumazzz said:

Mika hints that the secret to their longevity is being able to spend time apart.

“You don’t end up arguing about stuff where you’re just looking for an argument, ‘Where did you put my t-shirt?’ Proximity does breed contempt.”

HAVING already ticked quite a few boxes over the course of his career, Mika says there are still a few items on his to-do list such as finally having his idol Rufus Wainwright swing by to see one of his shows.

“Rufus has been such a formative artist for most LGBTQ songwriters because he wrote about sexuality, he wrote about love, and he wrote about desire.

“There is a tenderness there that is so connected to a gay artist that is insanely important. Rufus keeps saying he’ll show up [to a gig].

He used to almost show up and then not, but it doesn’t matter, I never want to meet someone who’s a hero. I don’t want to know if he takes soda with his gin or vodka, if he eat peanuts or is vegan. He has given me enough.”

@holdingyourdrink

I agreed Mika says "Proximity does breed contempt." and never want to meet my heroes.

Mika is one of my favorite artists, not my hero. :mikadas:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

What a candid interview, I loved reading it.

Btw do you think it’s true what he says about “it’s better to not meet your heroes”? Or did he say that because he was disappointed that Rufus didn’t show up (so far) to one of his shows?

I think that did change though, Rufus did something for I Love Beirut and he expressed the desire to collaborate. I hope he now feels that dream not only came true - it’s even improved :wink2:

He said something like this before, from what I remember it was because he was disappointed by a meeting with an artist he had admired - and also the topic he touched at another point of this interview, that magazine asking other artists about his sexuality, and one of them was someone he admired and he was disappointed by them commenting on him in that article. I remember reading / hearing both of those stories in this context, I don't know if the first one was true or if he just said that because he didn't want to admit at that time that this article was hurtful to him. Anyway, he has reasons for this statement, beyond Rufus not showing up to one of this shows. I don't know how much he is really convinced of this, or how much of it is protecting himself from appearing too vulnerable... but as you say, it might have changed anyway, as Rufus collaborated with him on I Love Beirut.

When I read this statement, it always makes me think of the original lyrics of Overrated, in the demo version - I guess there ARE certain parallels to a love story, as @Kumazzz said about Mika's quote re. Andy - but while I agree with Mika that there might be certain advantages in keeping someone overrated, I would say that in fact only proximity can create real connection that's not just superficial. Tho of course Mika is right that it doesn't need to be physical proximity all the time - I think his quote about Andy was mostly about living together, and I absolutely believe him that the fact that their relationship is partly a long-distance relationship helps that it lasts so long. They had some problems when they were stuck together in Athens, but they managed to deal with that too - sometimes it helps to be thrown in at the deep end to realize that you're able to swim. :dunno_grin:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mellody said:

but while I agree with Mika that there might be certain advantages in keeping someone overrated, I would say that in fact only proximity can create real connection that's not just superficial. Tho of course Mika is right that it doesn't need to be physical proximity all the time

This reminds me of the Italian interview, where he said tension is more important than love. I interpret it now as: if you don’t want the deep love you have to be blurred by trivial things such as the rut of every day life, you can keep things exciting if you keep wondering and longing for the other person… which ultimately can be best achieved by having a physical distance every now and then. 

I really feel what he means in the interview by „not having/being bound to a place“ to feel home. He moved countries and didn’t have the best experiences in his environment (school). The only constant was his family, who support and love him, always. Maybe sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less :wink2: but the core is always there.
In the end, home is where the heart is, and that can be literally everywhere - as long as you let go of the idea that it is bound to a place, you open your heart and your mind to the possibilities and in the end, to more.

I however also am a person who likes to have a place to come back to. To come through the door, exhale and plop down on my own couch. However; don’t we appreciate coming home even more after we have been away? I wonder if Mika feels the same (when he comes back from travel to his house in Miami for example), but also feels and understands that this appreciation cannot exist in the extent he lives it without being away. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Mika at the ITV studios

10-10-2019

https://www.magazinefeatures.co.za/event/en/1/1543773

Mika appears on television Lorraine.

REPLAY

https://www.itv.com/hub/lorraine/1a9360a2514

Lorraine - Thursday 10 Oct 8.30am

Image9405932.jpg.879b57b864b12336306d7ecf51fc9029.jpg

Image9405939.jpg.3c6f7e690c0b4f98edfffc97869100ea.jpg

Image9405941.jpg.2e8ac850bbb01ed968211aa6c419d593.jpg

Image9405942.jpg.baa35f72fae1bf1ccfef2f299338a8ab.jpg

Image9405943.jpg.c4d272102119f1a60ce9348a77be0d10.jpg

Image9405944.jpg.480af328b9f23d6981e052f6b02bdea1.jpg

Image9405945.jpg.2c13b4137e858f02d49009716d59eac5.jpg

Image9405946.jpg.1953ad710bee333df857c6f4251d3c3e.jpg

Image9405951.jpg.ef4c8993b8bb8b1718f6b990fe10e6f0.jpg

Image9405952.jpg.4fd5282e87867bc76cc575eb98346a99.jpg

On 10/10/2019 at 11:45 PM, Kumazzz said:

The following morning, Mika appears on television Lorraine.

REPLAY

https://www.itv.com/hub/lorraine/1a9360a2514

Lorraine - Thursday 10 Oct 8.30am

Pop sensation Mika joins Lorraine on the sofa to talk about the release of his new album My Name Is Michael Holbrook, and facing his personal demons in his music.

:no: I can't watch...

On 10/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, Just_Me said:

• Like 1