2022- Mika@Caribana Festival Switzerland -16 June- REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

krysady

Here's a few things I posted on Twitter and Tiktok so far, will upload more here later, but first trying to write a report. What an awesome evening! :mikalove: I surely will go to bed early today, but I don't want to miss writing down my thoughts on this festival.

In fact, I noticed meanwhile that the mosquitos just left the stage - probably because it was easier to find victims in the crowd, we were stuck to one place, while Mika kept jumping around - he's no good mosquito target. :naughty:  While I got about 10 bites. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

So, I went to Geneva with my 8yo son, because he has school holidays now and really enjoyed the 2019 gig at Bercy, so he wanted to go to a Mika gig again. While at Bercy we were seated and the gig started at a normal time, this one was standing and only starting at 11:30pm - so, long story short, for my son it wasn't the best experience. He liked the sightseeing in Geneva, especially the boat ride we did on the morning of the gig day, but the day we arrived he lost his favourite cap (the wind blew it in the river), and from midnight at the Mika gig he kept asking when it's over, because he was so tired. This is the only little flaw in my otherwise pretty perfect Mika gig experience yesterday, that of course I was a bit distracted from the gig at some points, because I was taking care of my son.

Anyway, we arrived around 3pm, joined the queue in the shade, said Hi to everyone (there were even a few German speakers for my son), at some point stored our bag in @holdingyourdrink's car, because she'd drive us back to Geneva after the gig, got beautiful fans by @Anna Ko Kolkowska and gave out a few Babybels for Yoyo. :teehee: Mika didn't see them during the song, but me and someone else threw one on stage and Mika found one a few songs later and held it up with a face expression that said "really?! nah!" :roftl: ... His comment on IG about the dancing Babybels had made me laugh so much that I thought it might make him laugh to see dancing Babybels for Yoyo, but well... he said at the gig that the Babybels in the video were his nephew's interpretation, so even if it didn't make Mika laugh, I'm sure Bobo would have liked it. :bleh: :naughty:

In the shade the temperatures were ok, but in the sun it was REALLY hot, it hasn't been that hot all year so far in Germany! Around 4:30pm or so we had to leave the shady place and stand in line in the burning sun for an hour, while more people arrived - that definitely was the most unpleasant part of the queueing. Next time I'll bring an umbrella as a sunshade! Inside it was another hour of burning sun, before the shade of the trees arrived at our place. I kept my son's place while he *should* have stayed in the shade near the buildings - which he did for a while, but then a clown did a little show in that area, and from that point on, my son kept running around the place with other kids, chasing balloons. As if the sun wasn't hot enough already, also running around for about an hour, no wonder he was so tired during the gig! :lol3: Well anyway he had fun. :lol:

I quite liked the first band Klischee, they were super fun and their music was very danceable, also with some covers and samples of other songs - like Bella Ciao, for which a big part of the crowd did a whole choreography! I looked them up, their music style is called electro swing and I definitely like swing, so as the electro bit wasn't that strong for the most part, but more like beats to the brilliant trumpet and saxophone playing, no surprise I liked that band. Louane was a bit boring tbh - I guess it might have been more interesting if I understood French better ... and after her gig, we had to move backwards 5 meters because apparently they couldn't transport her stage props through the back entrance but had to get them off stage over the barrier. :rolleyes: It was managed quite well by security, but as people had started pushing as soon as Louane had left the stage, it wasn't exactly pleasant, and I think some fans also lost their frontrow places through that. :( 

Then finally, Mika's gig started. People were a bit pushy at the beginning, and also while Mika went through the crowd for Big Girl - not sure this was the most pleasant crowd to walk through, as they were so pushy, but I'm happy that Mika did it, I've missed this so much during the last 2 years. :wub2: When he returned, he thanked the security guys who had helped him back over the barrier, even gave them another thankful look from the stage - I liked this a lot, because it felt like such a sincere and humble gesture. Service staff often doesn't get enough appreciation, and I'm very glad that Mika isn't a snob in that regard, and has kept this appreciative attitude after all those years of fame and fortune. 

Mika was obviously happy to see us all, and he also said it a few times... maybe someone can translate the details when I post my videos later, but he said things like he has missed us and is happy to see our faces and sing and dance with us again. :cloud: He also talked about the mosquitos, hundreds of which were swarming around him at the start of the gig in the spotlight that was on him, but it seems they listened to him and left, or just looked for other victims because he was jumping around so much. :teehee: And he said the next day (i.e. today) would be his brother's wedding. :wub2:

In any case, him and the crowd were on fire. It felt sooo good to do this again, for us and apparently as well for him. He made a lot of eye contact with people, also spotted me during the 2nd song (Origin) and I think him and us all had hearts in our eyes like that smiley 😍, anyway that's how it felt. Happy Ending was especially touching (although my son kept distracting me, especially during that song) - sometimes I find it boring at gigs, but not this time. He didn't do the off-mic-part, but it didn't matter, it was just beautiful. Apparently he had some problems with his ear plugs and the crowd just kept singing really loudly while he was trying to fix it, and he loved that.

He started Yoyo with an acoustic intro, that sounded beautiful! :wub2: But generally I felt he didn't seem as connected with the crowd during Yoyo as he did during the other songs - I guess it still has to grow and become something special in the live version, which happens bit by bit, through the connection with the crowds, Mika's spontaneous ideas, the musicians, etc. - and also, maybe now he still has to concentrate more on it than on the songs he has already performed a hundred times. Also in Nina's video you can see that he has his eyes (half) closed a lot during the song: https://www.instagram.com/tv/Ce4sTK7jzuU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link ... I don't know if that is because he's focused or insecure or maybe watching the crowd's reactions through half-closed eyes, he's an expert for that. :naughty: He also seemed to have some sound problems at the beginning, so who knows, maybe it was just that.

After the show we weren't sure if Mika was still there or had already left through one of the 4 possible exits or even via boat on the lake. I guess I might have just left, because my son was so tired, I thought Mika might be gone and my feet were hurting, but I'm glad now that Michelle wanted to stay. So I brought my son to the car, where he was happy to stay until we were finished and fell asleep within minutes, and then I went back to the others. We went back and forth between several exits, between one end and the other end of the festival area (luckily it was a relatively small festival! 😅). Felt a bit like that German children's game show "1, 2 oder 3" where kids have to pick one place and jump there, according to the correct quiz answer... :roftl: Anyway at the exit where we were waiting last, when I had asked the security guy earlier, he had told me it wasn't the backstage exit, so at some point I decided I wanted to go to the one we had considered earlier but not really waited there, as it was the area where we had been to the restaurant & toilets all afternoon, it didn't look like a backstage exit. At the entrance to this area we weren't allowed to go on, the security lady said not now and we have to wait a few minutes... which was suspicious, and at the same moment we saw a car driving up towards us. When it slowly passed by us, I thought I recognized the silhouette of Mika's face with a hat through the dark window, and a few seconds later he turned down the window and smiled and waved at us. :wub2: I actually have a history of Mika turning down his car window for me at the backstage exit, it has happened so many times, including the first time I ever met him back in 2007, where I was the only fan looking for him outside. Sometimes it feels like I have a special talent for finding the place Mika will pass in his car, at exactly the right time. :lmfao: If @Prisca is the Mika whisperer, I'm the Mika's car window whisperer, lol! :roftl: But don't count on me for it, I suppose it's just a lot of lucky coincidences. :teehee: 

Anyway, that was such a lovely ending to this gig day, to see his huge smile and see that he cares enough to turn down the window for this little gesture (of course a little chat would have been even nicer, but I think we all were happy to get to bed asap, it was already 2am), instead of just ignoring us. :wub2:

I'm still on a cloud :cloud: - surely PMD will come soon enough, but for now I'm just happy. Of course especially thrilled to see this morning that he reposted my story and also such a sweet happy post from the plane. :wub2: ... and maybe I can stay on my cloud until London? :crossed:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Getting tired, but quickly uploading 2 of my videos of his talk during Elle me dit, in different languages, and what he said at the end... I think he referred to being happy to see us without masks, if I understand it right? And during EMD he suddenly started talking in German, "Alles gut, alles wunderbar!" - I was like, what?! What have I missed?! :roftl: - guess it was because in parts of Switzerland they speak German... and then he kept asking for different languages and was happy about the multilingual crowd. :wub2:

talk during Elle me dit, about languages

talk at the end, during We Are Golden

(if you repost my videos and photos anywhere else, please add the source, thank you.)

• Like 4

Oh was I looking forward to this gig!! After missing out in Boston and NYC, I felt extra butterflies to see him perform again. And as a bonus: having family in Geneva, going to this gig almost made it feel like it was in my backyard. 

Arrived at the venue in the morning to queue. There were already some Mika fans from Switzerland, France, Italy, Bulgaria and Finland. Quickly others arrived from Poland, United Kingdom and Germany. I looked at us crazy bunch and it gave me a smile on my face. I think the organization thought the same, because they took our picture for social media with the caption “Mika fans already waiting”. What they don’t know, is that we do this every time, haha! 

The gate to the stage area was temporarily open for staff to set everything up. During this time we were able to enter the grounds as well and attend the soundcheck, sadly without Mika. It was very nice to hear familiar tunes as temperature was rising up. Not because of a hot soundcheck, but it was very warm that day! Geneva was (is) experiencing a heatwave, with the peak that day being at 33C/91F. Fortunately we were able to queue in a shaded area. But as @mellody had already mentioned, as soon as doors were officially open we still had to stay in the burning sun for another hour. We were lucky the area was surrounded by trees and the VIP area was a little elevated, so the sun could quickly disappear behind them. 

The first two performances by Klischee and Louane were a bonus to the day. It made the suspense even better in my opinion. Although I do prefer a solitary Mika gig, it’s always nice to be introduced to new music. 

And there he was… MIKA! He was wearing a blue suit and the sleeveless shirt with the broken (but mended) heart on it. The fabric of the suit flowed very nicely, I was wondering if it was a thicker fabric and I imagined it must feel nice to wear. 

He stood in the spotlight, alongside a hundred…..mosquitos! He was very brave, knowing how much he dislikes them.

Big Girls was on as a third song. I have seen footage of him entering the audience during Big Girls, but also during Icecream. It being so early in the gig I was wondering if he actually would. Well! That was answered pretty quickly, because he jumped off the stage and passed the barrier just two people down from me (!) when entering the crowd. My eyes tried following him, but being short and with so many phones filming in the air it was impossible. So when I practically gave up, he suddenly appears out of nowhere RIGHT BEHIND ME. I let out an appropriate shriek (yes: I wasn’t too loud and I also didn’t faint or hid behind anyone, as I would normally do, haha). He accidentally stood on my foot (didn’t hurt, wasn’t full weight) and gave me pretty much a full body check as the security lifted him up over the barrier. 

So to answer the question: yes the fabric is a thicker material, it was soft and nice to the touch and he is a very elegant barrier-crosser, despite his height. 

His energy was through the roof the whole time and he was so happy to be there. That happiness grew even stronger with every song. The audience responded wonderfully and sang along full volume. He was lost for words for a moment during Happy Ending with such a warm reception! Basically beaming at us.

Karin posted the video where he checks what languages were spoken by the audience. He started off with German, so I cheered. He then asked English, so I cheered… but when he unexpectedly asked if someone spoke Dutch, I think I was SO loud he HAD to look up (which he did). 

After watching the videos. I didn’t realize that he actually said “bonsoir, wie geht es euch?” (Good evening, how are you?) in French and German and “dankjewel” (thank you) in Dutch after he asks “Dance with me, Caribana!”. You can imagine my excitement!! 

To be honest, to me there were only highlights. His energy and appreciation to be there was felt throughout the whole performance. I loved seeing the Mira Mikati RESIST cape and the basket crown in real life. He wears them well and add to the energy of the ending of the gig. 

After the gig we were very lucky to see him pass by in the car. He rolled down the window and had a huge appreciative smile on his face. As Karin already said, I had insisted to wait: and we were both happy we did. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

18 hours ago, mellody said:

He didn't do the off-mic-part, but it didn't matter, it was just beautiful.

I always fear when he does that, and after the Disney gig I hope he won't put his voice in danger like that anymore... it's not worth the risk, and it's not even a pleasant experience for the ones at the back, especially when it's an outdoor venue. He doesn't need to prove anything, everyone knows he has a great voice and he can sing. 
I loved videos of HE the most from Caribana :wub2:

• Like 3

Today while going to the airport I took a free Metro newspaper from Friday ( a day after "our" evening).

Good surprise: there is something about Caribana festival from the 16th of June.

Bad surprise: they don't mention Mika at all ☹️

How could they do it to us?????

IMG_20220618_202221702.jpg

BTW - at the airport I have seen a man looking like the lead singer of Klischee group. I am not sure if it was him, but anyway - who knows? :lol3:

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska

A few more things I remembered and want to add:

- When he entered the stage, the first thing I noticed was how wonderfully fluffy his curls looked. :wub2: Dunno if they were particularly fluffy that evening or if I just hadn't seen him live for too long, maybe both. :dunno_grin:

- I had brought glowstick flowers, as I had said at some point in the before the show thread, but creating the flowers got a bit tricky... firstly because half of my glowsticks weren't glowing anymore (I had those with me at another gig in 2019 or 2020, so it seems some already got activated there by accident) and secondly because we had to move so they could remove Louane's stage props. Anyway I managed to make a bunch of flowers in the end and gave them to MFCers, but the only flowers Mika had at this gig were on the Resist cape for the last song, so he didn't notice the glowstick flowers much.

7 hours ago, krysady said:

I always fear when he does that, and after the Disney gig I hope he won't put his voice in danger like that anymore... it's not worth the risk, and it's not even a pleasant experience for the ones at the back, especially when it's an outdoor venue. He doesn't need to prove anything, everyone knows he has a great voice and he can sing. 

It's true that he doesn't have to prove anything, but I don't think he puts his voice in danger by singing off-mic. If you take care of your voice and practice, warm up, etc., you can do this without a risk. A party night out with lots of champagne is probably worse for his voice than a minute of Happy Ending off-mic. And even if you do everything right, if you're a little tense or the air is too dry or any other minor change might lead to the voice cracking like his did at Disney - it doesn't mean he's damaging his voice. Anyway Happy Ending at Caribana was a highlight by itself, it felt perfectly right that he didn't add the off-mic part.

5 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Today while going to the airport I took a free Metro newspaper from Friday ( a day after "our" evening).

Good surprise: there is something about Caribana festival from the 16th of June.

Bad surprise: they don't mention Mika at all ☹️

How could they do it to us?????

IMG_20220618_202221702.jpg

BTW - at the airport I have seen a man looking like the lead singer of Klischee group. I am not sure if it was him, but anyway - who knows? :lol3:

I saw that too and my thought was that Mika probably was on stage too late to be included in the Friday magazine and might have been in that of Saturday? :dunno:

4 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Speaking of the Klischee band.

Here is a nice "selfie" during their performance.

Who we can see in the first row?

Klischee fans?????? Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Mika fans!!!!!!!!!!!!! One by one  :roll1:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=599924615030092&set=a.246206780401879

image.thumb.png.c792212dc2e461aab31bece98ba918de.png

I can see half of my face. :naughty: Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mellody said:

If you take care of your voice and practice, warm up, etc., you can do this without a risk

We know he is preparing his voice well before a concert, but you can see that he's really struggling when he does the off-mic thing, his face is transforming and turning red, his body is twisting and he's pressing on his tummy, it's painful just to watch it :aah:  He's forcing to make an extra effort to be heard by a wide-spread audience, in huge outdoor venues, just to prove something... I don't think it's not dangerous for his voice.

It's already enough challenge to perform live gig after gig, while dancing, jumping and running the entire stage, other artists can not even lip sync while dancing. And looking at his tour schedule, he really should try to manage his voice, I'm sure people are more happier to see him performing all his gigs with a mic, than having to cancel because of a few seconds of imprudence :dunno_grin:

Edited by krysady
  • Like 2