2022 - Mika @ Cap Roig Festival, Spain, 6 August - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

silver

54 minutes ago, mellody said:

I liked the area and the gig location, but as Mika's Spanish is too good now, I understood even less of what he said than at gigs in France and Italy... so I guess I'll keep to those and skip Cap Roig this year. And hoping the London one will be on a date I can make. :crossed:

I thought he was speaking Catalan. Alba? 

I didn't understand it, I just went with the flow. :naughty:

9 minutes ago, Hero said:

He was speaking spanish. I understood everything he said :wub2: Once or twice his words came out in italian which he was sorry about but he managed to push italian aside and used English just once but for a good reason I can't remember now. And he can say rude words in spanish too as he cursed himself for those italian words :lmfao: I recorded the whole concert sound and shared in it Cap Roig thread. Such happy memories :cloud:If I can go this year maybe Ill manage to show him my tatoo :wub2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

He was speaking spanish. I understood everything he said :wub2: Once or twice his words came out in italian which he was sorry about but he managed to push italian aside and used English just once but for a good reason I can't remember now. And he can say rude words in spanish too as he cursed himself for those italian words :lmfao: I recorded the whole concert sound and shared in it Cap Roig thread. Such happy memories :cloud:If I can go this year maybe Ill manage to show him my tatoo :wub2:

He asked a woman (not Alba :tears:) to come on stage to help him speak Catalan. :original:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prisca said:

He asked a woman (not Alba :tears:) to come on stage to help him speak Catalan. :original:

Yes he repeated after her :thumb_yello:  I was also sad it wasn't Alba. Here is my audio in case you want to listen...he did say "motherfu***rs" so he spoke English too :lmfao: ( I couldn't resist listening to it again :wub2:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NeuQaJntNR1_OECv_-3jWZ_KaIwYht8S/view?usp=drivesdk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Hero said:

Is it so different that you can't understand it if you only speak one of the two? I just noticed in Cap Roig that if I understand so little of what he says (i.e. nearly nothing), I can't enjoy the gig as much. When I started following Mika, I just went to gigs where he spoke English (and a few words in the local language) and my first gig in French was only after 3 years in Luxemburg. I didn't know he'd speak French there but I was surprised how much I understood of what he said with the little school French I remembered. The acoustics are excellent at the Rokhal, I didn't understand him that well at other French gigs, but Luxemburg kinda broke the ice for me to see that I wouldn't feel a complete outsider at gigs in French. I learned some Italian since, to understand him there as well, but as I'm still struggling with these 2 languages, learning Spanish isn't on my list for the forseeable future. 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Is it so different that you can't understand it if you only speak one of the two? I just noticed in Cap Roig that if I understand so little of what he says (i.e. nearly nothing), I can't enjoy the gig as much. When I started following Mika, I just went to gigs where he spoke English (and a few words in the local language) and my first gig in French was only after 3 years in Luxemburg. I didn't know he'd speak French there but I was surprised how much I understood of what he said with the little school French I remembered. The acoustics are excellent at the Rokhal, I didn't understand him that well at other French gigs, but Luxemburg kinda broke the ice for me to see that I wouldn't feel a complete outsider at gigs in French. I learned some Italian since, to understand him there as well, but as I'm still struggling with these 2 languages, learning Spanish isn't on my list for the forseeable future. 😅

I don't speak Spanish (sorry Alba :blush:) apart from some basic please/thankyou/where is/happy birthday/my name is/ so it's all a mystery to me. I did GCSE Spanish at school, but like my French it was then 30 years before I had need for it again, so its very very rusty.

But, that hasn't stopped my enjoyment of the gigs. Often he's so expressive you can pick up the meaning of what he says from the context. And the crowd reaction usually gives it away. If I really don't understand something, there's people around I could ask or I know I can read it on here later. Meanwhile I just enjoy his delicious voice. :cloud:

Edited by Hero
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Is it so different that you can't understand it if you only speak one of the two?

I understood enough in Spanish to understand that he was telling the same stories before the songs as he usually did during the summer. With Catalan it was different, I don't think he told something that he usually told all summer. I think I didn't understand much there. But I don't think Spanish and Catalan are actually that different. :dunno_grin:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prisca said:

I understood enough in Spanish to understand that he was telling the same stories before the songs as he usually did during the summer. With Catalan it was different, I don't think he told something that he usually told all summer. I think I didn't understand much there. But I don't think Spanish and Catalan are actually that different. :dunno_grin:

Catalan and Spanish are two different languages.Many of the people who live in Spain do not understand Catalan. Those who live in Catalonia understand it even if they don't speak it. In Catalonia we are bilingual because we speak Catalan and Spanish.

I think this is :offtopic:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

Catalan and Spanish are two different languages.

DE German and CH German are the same languages and yet many Germans do not understand the Swiss. :lmfao::teehee:

Sorry, sorry! :ot:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Prisca said:

DE German and CH German are the same languages and yet many Germans do not understand the Swiss. :lmfao::teehee:

Sorry, sorry! :ot:

But Catalan and Spanish aren't the same language.:wink2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

But Catalan and Spanish aren't the same language.:wink2:

3 hours ago, Mikasister said:

Catalan and Spanish are two different languages.Many of the people who live in Spain do not understand Catalan. Those who live in Catalonia understand it even if they don't speak it. In Catalonia we are bilingual because we speak Catalan and Spanish.

I think this is :offtopic:

In France Napoleon decided to outlaw regional languages and they were forbidden especially at schools as he wanted to unify France by forcing everyone to speak French. Nowadays regional languages are taught in some schools (optionally) but they have been "standardized" so all that stuff is a bit artificial except when kids had learned it from their grand parents and still remember the real thing...) however those regional languages had lots of differences even between one village and another. So it was probably a good thing that everyone ended up speaking French although it should have been done with less brutality...

But mostly except for people who decide to hang on to those regional  languages in a political way they are really not that in use. 

Edited by crazyaboutmika

2 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

In France Napoleon decided to outlaw regional languages and they were forbidden especially at schools as he wanted to unify France by forcing everyone to speak French. Nowadays regional languages are taught in some schools (optionally) but they have been "standardized" so all that stuff is a bit artificial except when kids had learned it from their grand parents and still remember the real thing...) however those regional languages had lots of differences even between one village and another. So it was probably a good thing that everyone ended up speaking French although it should have been done with less brutality...

But mostly except for people who decide to hang on to those regional  languages in a political way they are really not that in use. 

Yes, I have heard of them being virtually forced to speak French. :emot-sad:

13 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Last year's Eurovision entry was in a regional language, I remember they made a big deal of it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hero said:

Last year's Eurovision entry was in a regional language, I remember they made a big deal of it. 

Yes and I hated it :lmfao:And their song didn't get many points.

I love how southern regional language sounds (a bit like Italian/Spanish/Catalan I mean very melodic and I find western regional language harsh to the ears) 

I live in the west part of France and some people are very proud to and react in a similar way to Corsica people and take pride in that but I don't... I just happen to live there but if I am able to at some point I'll move to the south which I like better (my father was born in the south  and my mother in the west) They both were teachers and many teachers want to work in the south so it was easier for my father to find work in the west. But I spent all my holidays in the south and it's always been my happy place.

• Like 1