2023 - Mika @ Palais des Festivals, Cannes, France, 19 July REPORTS/VIDS/PICS

Kumazzz

Nice Matin

https://www.nicematin.com/concerts/souvenirs-dans-le-sud-mika-concert-cannes-862339

Publié le 20/07/2023 à 15:30, mis à jour le 20/07/2023 à 15:53

8 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

Nice Matin

https://www.nicematin.com/concerts/souvenirs-dans-le-sud-mika-concert-cannes-862339

Publié le 20/07/2023 à 15:30, mis à jour le 20/07/2023 à 15:53

"On s'entassait dans la Toyota Previa et depuis Londres, on venait dans le Sud":

les souvenirs azuréens de Mika en concert à Cannes

A Cannes ce mercredi soir pour un concert qui affichait complet depuis belle lurette, l’artiste britannico-libanais, inoubliable coach de The Voice, a largement évoqué ses étés à Cannes où il venait en vacances enfant et voyait des feux d’artifice.

The greatest showman! Il y a un peu de ça, dans les concerts de Mika. Concert? Spectacle plutôt!

Ce mercredi soir, sur la terrasse du Palais des Festivals de Cannes, l’artiste britannico-libanais a égrené ses tubes avec le panache, les costumes bigarrés (enchaînement de complet paillettes vertes, costume rose et citron, puis blanc satin, débardeur avant de finir torse poil), l’énergie bondissante qu’on lui connaît.

Toujours "relax", l’inoubliable coach de The Voice convoque "Grace Kelly", invite à "Love today", s’offre un vrai bon bain de foule sur "Big girl", instant plus poétique avec "Underwater" ou carrément dansant sur "Elle me dit".

Le show était là. L’émotion également. Surtout quand le trublion sautant évoque ses souvenirs azuréens.

"Ok, les enfants, c'est demain, on va dans le sud!"

Alors que Mika était enfant, sa mère cachait l’argent de son père dans ses robes et disait d’un coup:

"Ok, les enfants, c’est demain, on va dans le sud!", ce qui voulait dire que ce n’était plus les étés de fish'n'chips et de rollerblade dans le parc mais c’était le sud, Cannes, Nice, la plage", sourit l’artiste.

"On se mettait tous dans la Toyota Previa avec notre tortue, cinq cousins, au moins deux vieilles dames - ma mère les collectait!- c’était une maison pour tout le monde. Il y avait aussi un étudiant chinois pendant quelques années aussi qu’on avait rencontré à Pékin." Quelle équipée !

"La voiture était un van, on était 10, il y avait aussi deux lapins, Coco et Pussy, je ne plaisante pas. C’était interdit et, à chaque fois qu’il y avait la police ma mère criait: "Kalico Kalipoli" et on devait se cacher sous les sièges. On faisait ça de Londres à Cannes."

"Chaque fois qu’il y avait des concerts sur la Croisette, on pique-niquait dehors et on écoutait"

Un sourire tendre s’accroche sur le visage de Mika alors qu’il évoque sa mère:

"C’était son truc, ici. Là où elle s’échappait des problèmes de la maison, avec mon père, avec l’argent. Ici on avait un rituel, chaque feu d’artifice on était assis sur la plage et chaque fois qu’il y avait des concerts sur la Croisette, on pique-niquait dehors et on écoutait. C’est la première fois que je fais un concert à Cannes en plein air et ça me touche énormément".

Ses souvenirs de Cannes déroulent aussi lorsqu’il parle de "ces femmes panthère croisées sur la Croisette, deux dames que j’observais de près quand j’avais 7, 10, 14 ans et le monde changeait mais ces elles ne changeaient pas". Ou encore le pianiste avec des costumes à paillettes et des chaussettes de couleurs différentes dans un hall d’hôtel cannois.

Mika révèle encore la naissance de sa sœur Paloma, sur la Côte d’Azur, un jour où sa mère avait décidé de faire le marché! Ce qui le rend "un peu d’ici".

Toutes écoutilles ouvertes, la joyeuse foule massée et souriante, faite de fans de la première heure et de téléspectateurs qui l’ont découvert dans The Voice n’ont pas laissé une miette de ces confidences cannoises...

DSC_7268-3mVtEX5G.thumb.webp.a159a195e279a3d528645113fc0624e4.webp

DSC_7112-FnhDi6Wm.thumb.webp.15b4240a0c5c07f0523a8e316414ce93.webp

( I don't know why this twitter accout blocks me )

Mika a parlé d’un souvenir d’enfance:
Ces voyages de Londres au Sud de la France avec ses cousins dans la Toyota Previa et où ils faisaient des piques-niques sur la plage.
C’était le seul endroit où sa mère avait l’impression d’échapper à leurs problèmes.

Arrived back home yesterday after a little over 10 hours of train. The show was really amazing! But also one of the sweatiest, the weather was really, really hot, even in the evening! 

I was really happy I got to hear Overrated live :wub2:

Some of my videos: 

But there's more on my Youtube channel :) 

And some of my pics:

20230719_220516.thumb.jpg.84bdd1a25370eedfe9595e4c26ed6be8.jpg20230719_220934.thumb.jpg.8a2a2014ee2b6aed85c2208744bf701f.jpg20230719_221339.thumb.jpg.3a06fe80141ccb0244a71543a0496da5.jpg20230719_223129.thumb.jpg.79e886f5c1a7a771d0b63e53ee319ca3.jpg20230719_223313.thumb.jpg.f125e1e373da90bde07c04cbb0ab4ab4.jpg20230719_223136.thumb.jpg.7b41e91c1a37c3fa5bd30f58eb034a3b.jpg20230719_223235.thumb.jpg.491518f831321b20431085ebae86c69a.jpg20230719_232054.thumb.jpg.5eeb6e190f28832b3bc9dce2897ddbd1.jpg20230719_223438.thumb.jpg.5b4254d1dd85ef89e6ce2fe2b9b3a728.jpg20230719_233022.thumb.jpg.a10320ec2ece1791eb6975e1aebb9d0f.jpg20230719_234826.thumb.jpg.8a0b0e44fd0074252f6b518c2667c4a4.jpg20230719_234525.thumb.jpg.9848dda01306c86460af28906e282d65.jpg20230719_234559.thumb.jpg.10dace28907ed501714c8dd99362d61f.jpg20230719_234736.thumb.jpg.598e1ca9dffa9f9398184b72af197837.jpg20230719_234737.thumb.jpg.96627f49f639bc851858656716f4f576.jpg20230719_234738.thumb.jpg.52b134495a03343c02ecfe93fde4244c.jpg20230719_234744.thumb.jpg.7546209b1325daea64adf73ee9e7c335.jpg20230719_234802.thumb.jpg.3064565518cc6091c49fb9deb0eced52.jpg20230719_234811.thumb.jpg.b42d21705bc195b788151b11852c7da4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hello MFC,

Time for my yearly concert review.

First, for a bit of context to understand better what Mika said: South of France like all the Mediterranean zone is suffering an heatwave. Also, the concert was late, like everything from the door opening (8pm instead of 7:30pm) to Alexa Gredy’s support act (9pm instead of 8:30pm) and obviously Mika (10pm instead of 9pm). And, finally, the audience was divided in three parts: the golden square tickets in the front, and behind them, two successive sections for the general audience. I was in the first part of the general audience, actually not that far away from the golden square zone but unfortunately, I was surrounded by people higher than my 1m59 so there will be not much comment on Mika’s costumes or mimics as I didn’t see them very well.

A quick word on Alexa Gredy. Her set was very nice with a mix of slow songs and very dancy ones. The audience was very supportive and she thanked us and Mika also, twice for inviting her as his support act.

So, at 10pm, finally, Mika’s set began! On the intro of Lollipop, he explained it was very cold ) and that, with this low temperature, we (he!) use to wake up at 21:44pm and that was why he was perfectly on time...for a Lebanese (aka 1 hour late). That is his explanation for his lateness!

After Lollipop, he talked about the beautiful view as he could see the floor and us, angels from the stars (smooth talker!:wub2:). He did Origin of Love during which he danced with a giant flower wich looked like a dandelion.

Then, he admitted it was hot. He was actually trying to convince himself by telling us it was cold. He then began the very appropriate Ice Cream

Then, he began telling us his story with Cannes and the Côte d’Azur in general. He told us he came regularly on the Côte d’Azur since he was one.He began to describe the characteristics of Cannes, among others during the Festival: he said it was a mix of class and trash and that was what he loved about Cannes being a kid. He then wanted to take us to a not very classy but rather trashy place: The Butterfly Lounge. He then did Big Girl with his usual passing through the audience.At the end, He thanked us for keeping up the Cannes from his chilhood.

He then dedicated this concert to some personality from Cannes. The first two were a mother and a daughter, clothed with leopard printed fur, who used to walked up and down the Croisette boulevard during the Festival. He then began Tiny Love but he was thinking so much about this two women he forgot some lyrics.:lmfao:

He then told us about his mother’s love for Cannes and the Côte d’Azur. Actually, his mother loved this place so much, the day she was supposed to give birth to Paloma, she decided to go buy vegetables and flower from the flower market in Nice and actually gave birth to Paloma in the flower market. He said that thanks to this event, he was a bit from the south of France.

He then did Relax. Near the end of the song, he realized the men weren’t singing that much (well, it’s not like Relax is easy to sing for them!). He then made them sing using a lower key before making everyone sing (there was definitively more women than men in the audience).

We then had the first (very good) surprise of the night with Overrated. It was my 4th Mika concert but my first time hearing Overrate live. I didn’t thought I liked this song so much and that I would have so much fun hearing it live!

He then sang Good Guys and surprised us with a second passing through the audience. People were singing all the lyrics. It was very beautiful.

He then played Underwater. At the end, he said 4 or 5 person wanted to play Underwater on stage. He finally choose a young woman who kept her arms up (with a sign I suppose) for a whole 10 minutes. He asked her if she was afraid and when she responded  yes, he told her it was a good sign. He then gave her a cue to beginning playing she missed. Everyone laughed, Mika gave her another cue and she began playing beautifully.

After Uderwater, came another song I wasn’t expecting : Rain! Despite the surprise, the audience was enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately, despite our call for it with all our might and the bad singers of the audience, the rain did not come! The following song was Boum Boum Boum.

He then gave a second dedication to a man with mismatched shoes and shiny costumes. Somme in the audience must have scream Mika when hearing about the costumes because he said:No, not Mika! The pianist from the Martinez (a very famous hôtel in Cannes). He remember seing him play his piano in the hotel’s lounge from the street.

He then told he was angry with his brother and sisters. It was so serious he interrupted his musicians who were playing the intro of Yoyo. He told us again about his mother’s love for la Côte d’Azur. He told us every time she manage to keep enough money from his father, hidden in her dress, she said: «It’s tomorrow, we are going to the south». No more sumers of fish and chips and rollerblade in the park but South of France, Cannes, Nice, the beach. And, then, they pilled up in the Toyota Previa (who is still today parked in the same street of London), the parents, the 5 kids (with their cushions), 2 old ladies because his mom was collecting them and even for a few years, a Chinese student that they encountered in Pékin and who ended up living in their house the following year and who obviously came with them in the south, not forgetting a tortoise and two rabbits (Coco and Pussy, the one for who Mika broke a boy’s nose, no?). As they were 9 or 10 in a 7 or 8 places car, wich was very much illegal, each time there was the police, their mother screamed: Calico Gallipoli and the kids had to hide under the seats. And they were doing  that from London to south of France! It was her way of escaping familly and house's problems, often with his father and alway with money.

Once in the south, Mika told us they assisted to all the fireworks on the Côte d’Azur and all the (very pricy) concerts, picnicing on the beach of Cannes.

So he was angry with his brother and sisters because he would have loved them to be all there for his first concert in Cannes but they were not. Nevertheless, he was happy to be there with his musicians and with us. He sounded very sincere about it and that was heartwarming.:wub2:

After that, he sang Yoyo. During the song, he divided the audience in three parts: the little bit mad (the golden square), the madder (the back part of the general audience) and the completely crazy (the front part of the general audience). I’m proud to have been among the completely crazy even if I wasn’t the more vocal or hectic!:glasses3:

As the musicians were playing Elle me dit’s intro, an event happened near me which proved being loud can be useful for more than belting or favourite Mika songs. An old man had a dizzy spell two ranks behind me. While someone was holding him up, everyone else around me screamed at the top of their lung: «Security! Dizzy spell» while designing with theirs arms up, the place where the old man was. Thanks to that, the man was evacuated by security in a few minutes.

Then, Mika sang Elle me dit. During the song, he asked to turn to our right, left or behind us and dance with an unknown, because if we hit this unknown, we would end up hating each other but if with dance with each other, we migth end up loving ach other. I ended up dancing with two very eager women in front of me and that was a very nice experience! At the end, Mika cited the french public health advert: «For your health, be more dynamic». He aded: «I think it’s rather « For your health, drink more» and that he hoped we were drinking. When most of the audience responded no, he supposes that was because we didn’t have any water (rightly, thanks to a stupid no more than 33cl water bottle policy of the concert place:doh:). He asked water to be brought, particularly to people in the front of general audience section who couldn’t move. Well, spoiler...no one got water but that was a nice ask from Mika! He also told us it was his hottest concert ever. When people screamed, he realized his double-entendre (same in french as in english) and said he was assuming it, while pretending to take off his jacket. He thanked us for being there despite the heat.

After that, he sang Happy Ending, during which the jacket definitely fell down:swoon:, Grace Kelly and finally We are Golden. At the end, he thanked us a lot again.

For the curtain call, he sang Love Today, to everyone’s enthusiam. At the end, he changed in his green cap and tiger head and obviously asked us to jump (sorry Mika, I tried but I was lacking strenght in my legs, by that point). He then saluted with his musicians: Vincent, Clément, Max and Wouter, I think?

Then the Yoyo remix began and Mika wasn’t ready to leave because he began to dance on stage with his musicians and a technician girl? The whole audience followed him with enthusiam, hence his story on Instagram! He came back one last time with the technician girl and torch lights to dance with us. The audience danced until the last note of Yoyo.

And that’s all for my report! I’m sorry if I forgot something or mixed up events but I did my report from notes I wrote up by memory in my hotel room, 2 hours after the concert’s end and very tired.

Edited with corrections after watching @vanessa-love-mika's videos. Thanks to her and everyone who, posted videos and photos. It permits me to relive the concert and also see what Icouldn't with my little 1m59.

Edited by Camus
Corrections
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

@Camus Wow, brilliant report, thank you so much! :flowers2:  It's so nice to know what he was talking about between the songs because this is always different from one show to another. Very much appreciated, I'm glad you had a great time despite the heat :thumb_yello:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Excellent report @Camus I enjoyed every word and would love to read more reports like this from all the shows! :flowers2:

I would love to do that! Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to go to every Mika show!:no:

2 hours ago, Camus said:

I would love to do that! Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to go to every Mika show!:no:

:lol3: 

I didn't necessarily mean for you specifically to write every report! Although I would definitely read every report that you wrote.

I just meant in general, I would like to see reports like that for every show. And I'm a bad one to talk, as I never wrote up a report for Bristol last month... I should do that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

:lol3: 

I didn't necessarily mean for you specifically to write every report! Although I would definitely read every report that you wrote.

I just meant in general, I would like to see reports like that for every show. And I'm a bad one to talk, as I never wrote up a report for Bristol last month... I should do that.

Don't chastise yourself! I know from very recent experience how long and fastidious writing a report can be!:lmfao:(Even more when it's not in your native language!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 1:59 PM, dcdeb said:

What she said

and yes, please do! This report was like being there, very alive! I would love to see more!