The Mikey Choi Thread

meimei88

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like cats I worship them :bow: Dogs are okay, but they smell pretty gross when wet. And I hate any gross smell. It like makes me nautious.

Mikey is like an alien I think. And Sunshine and him are both from the same planet. soon they will be sucking everyone's brains out with straws and Mika will go crazy cuz he doesnt have a brain. wait, he's already crazy...

Maybe the two of them have already been doing a bit of sucking (up) during the summer shows? :roftl: Or earlier, even?

Aha! So maybe there we have the resemblance....I may have seen that:naughty:

we have a cool word in romanian for them sexy eyes

"bulbucati"

It's pretty much a mix of paranoia and fear

Well- he has a reason to be paranoid: we did catch onto his evil plan :mf_rosetinted:

Even if I bet some morning,in-the-mirror-looking-"i'm immortal"-speech rituals still exist

Ladies, ladies, come on now. You know I like to snicker about trolls as much as the next person but can't we call it a rest after 2 months? I think everyone has made their point and I'm sure all interested parties have taken note. :wink2:

I think letting this thread die a lonely death will serve your purposes equally well.

Ladies, ladies, come on now. You know I like to snicker about trolls as much as the next person but can't we call it a rest after 2 months? I think everyone has made their point and I'm sure all interested parties have taken note. :wink2:

I think letting this thread die a lonely death will serve your purposes equally well.

But we're bored and this is fun :mf_lustslow:. Maybe we can open a random troll thread and bicker in there without mentioning the unmentionable entity :roftl:

• 2 weeks later...

[12/18/2007]

SHOW TIME - BASS PLAYER AND MUSICAL DIRECTOR FOR MIKA TALKS R3 and KP3

In the last year Mikas phenominal success has seen him dominate the charts accross Europe with his own brand of funky pop tunes. His recent sold out tour brought the party to the people in the most extravagent way - bringing the songs to life with puppetry, fantasic lighting and an amazing stage set. It's clear to see that Mikas band play a huge part in the success of the shows, which is why we caught up with bass player and musical director Michael Choi to see what the R3 and KP3 bring to the MIKA party...

How did you get into music making and what made you decide you wanted to be a bass player?

School. Had a great Head of Music called Andrew Leach who was quite inspiring and encouraging to anyone who wanted to do music. I was actually a flautist but wanted to play rock with my mates and so started to learn bass and upright bass. I was about 13 when that happened. My mate Conrad started teaching me Status Quo lines...!

How did you come to be in Mikas band?

Mika wanted a band rather than a traditional session backing band. He wanted people he could have a vibe with off and on stage. So he asked a friend of mine about meeting musicians who could be interested. I was one of them. We met, had a cup of tea and we got on well so it went on from there.

After that we had a few jams/rehearsals and see if it all went well and it did. None of us had worked with each other before but luckily it turned out ok!

Are you involved in the writing and the studio side of things aswell or just the live tour?

I write and produce but not for Mika. He had already done the album prior to us meeting. I have a studio in West London and produced stuff for people like Susy Thomas and currently have deal with a UK artist who is signed to a Japanese label.

I've been in the studio with Mika for some small things, like B sides etc... so you never know for the future!

You've toured all over Europe with the current Mika tour. What's been your favourite gig

so far and why?

OXEGEN Festival in Ireland had to be highlight so far. They went mad for it! You never know what to expect in festivals because people are there to see different people but everyone of them were going mental by the end. We started off the show with about 20,000 listening and ended up with about 70,000 people going crazy! The promoter said he hadn't seen anything like it.

Im looking forward to seeing the show for myself later as ive heard that they are really colourful and extravagent. As MD are you involved in the set play and how does the whole 'show' come together?

It is a colourful show! The whole concept is Mika's vision, with all the characters etc which have obviously been there from the beginning. My role as MD is to make sure musically the ideas are supported. So I do get involved in lots of areas I hadn't done previously but this way is a lot more fun!

What's the best thing about been on tour?

That you never have to look after yourself! Our tour manager John Dubuque, does everything short of gong to the toilet for us!

Who have been the supporting acts - any upcoming artists we should watch out for?

We've had different ones. On this tour we've had Palladium, talented young muso's; We've also had a French Electronica band called Yelle. Fantastic sound and could break through the UK.

In the past my favourite has been Mr Hudson and the Library. Great songs, great sound, great people! Went out front to watch them pretty much every gig!

You've been using an R3 and a KP3. As a bass player how does the R3 fit in musically?

I've been using the vocoder extensively. Bass wise it's sometimes nice to get away from bass guitar as it's only sound source. Keyboard bass can add a different flavour to a show. It can be dangerous if the sound is too different but with the right programming it can be a great tool.

It also depends on how it's played. I've heard some great bass keys players and it's wonderful... but I've also heard some shabby bass keys playing...especially from keys players who have no sense of importance of groove!

Do you use both the R3 and the KP3 live?

Yes, mainly in the intro. The vocoder is the main feature of the intro and the r3 does it's thing through it!

There are about 3 songs with keys bass but also there are some pad work I do prior to Love Today.

Can you tell me what you think both of these products add to the live element?

They are rugged and small. Easy to get packed and lightweight. The R3 has a thick live sound which a lot of keyboards fail. Through the PA they sound fat and prominent. The sounds are easily accessible and no need for faffing around during the gig!

What other artists have you worked with and what has so far been the highlight of your career?

Various artist... Since I do both programming and bass I've had a chance to work with some greats. Annie Lennox comes to mind as someone who I thought I'd never be lucky enough to work with. Gareth Gates is a stunning vocalist who the UK public need to give a chance purely on talent.

Jerry Dammers (former member and founder of The Specials) was my mentor, who started me down the producer road.

What are you plans for the future?

Mika is my immediate future. I hope to be working with him for many years to come.

Whats the last thing you listened to on your ipod?

Beck- Timebomb

Twat

2724375617_c8d76def19_o.jpg

omg. i dont like the stache. srry.

He should really dye that tache blond as well, it looks so wrong:thumbdown:. Maybe he's trying to look manly?:naughty:

[12/18/2007]

SHOW TIME - BASS PLAYER AND MUSICAL DIRECTOR FOR MIKA TALKS R3 and KP3

In the last year Mikas phenominal success has seen him dominate the charts accross Europe with his own brand of funky pop tunes. His recent sold out tour brought the party to the people in the most extravagent way - bringing the songs to life with puppetry, fantasic lighting and an amazing stage set. It's clear to see that Mikas band play a huge part in the success of the shows, which is why we caught up with bass player and musical director Michael Choi to see what the R3 and KP3 bring to the MIKA party...

How did you get into music making and what made you decide you wanted to be a bass player?

School. Had a great Head of Music called Andrew Leach who was quite inspiring and encouraging to anyone who wanted to do music. I was actually a flautist but wanted to play rock with my mates and so started to learn bass and upright bass. I was about 13 when that happened. My mate Conrad started teaching me Status Quo lines...!

How did you come to be in Mikas band?

Mika wanted a band rather than a traditional session backing band. He wanted people he could have a vibe with off and on stage. So he asked a friend of mine about meeting musicians who could be interested. I was one of them. We met, had a cup of tea and we got on well so it went on from there.

After that we had a few jams/rehearsals and see if it all went well and it did. None of us had worked with each other before but luckily it turned out ok!

Are you involved in the writing and the studio side of things aswell or just the live tour?

I write and produce but not for Mika. He had already done the album prior to us meeting. I have a studio in West London and produced stuff for people like Susy Thomas and currently have deal with a UK artist who is signed to a Japanese label.

I've been in the studio with Mika for some small things, like B sides etc... so you never know for the future!

You've toured all over Europe with the current Mika tour. What's been your favourite gig

so far and why?

OXEGEN Festival in Ireland had to be highlight so far. They went mad for it! You never know what to expect in festivals because people are there to see different people but everyone of them were going mental by the end. We started off the show with about 20,000 listening and ended up with about 70,000 people going crazy! The promoter said he hadn't seen anything like it.

Im looking forward to seeing the show for myself later as ive heard that they are really colourful and extravagent. As MD are you involved in the set play and how does the whole 'show' come together?

It is a colourful show! The whole concept is Mika's vision, with all the characters etc which have obviously been there from the beginning. My role as MD is to make sure musically the ideas are supported. So I do get involved in lots of areas I hadn't done previously but this way is a lot more fun!

What's the best thing about been on tour?

That you never have to look after yourself! Our tour manager John Dubuque, does everything short of gong to the toilet for us!

Who have been the supporting acts - any upcoming artists we should watch out for?

We've had different ones. On this tour we've had Palladium, talented young muso's; We've also had a French Electronica band called Yelle. Fantastic sound and could break through the UK.

In the past my favourite has been Mr Hudson and the Library. Great songs, great sound, great people! Went out front to watch them pretty much every gig!

You've been using an R3 and a KP3. As a bass player how does the R3 fit in musically?

I've been using the vocoder extensively. Bass wise it's sometimes nice to get away from bass guitar as it's only sound source. Keyboard bass can add a different flavour to a show. It can be dangerous if the sound is too different but with the right programming it can be a great tool.

It also depends on how it's played. I've heard some great bass keys players and it's wonderful... but I've also heard some shabby bass keys playing...especially from keys players who have no sense of importance of groove!

Do you use both the R3 and the KP3 live?

Yes, mainly in the intro. The vocoder is the main feature of the intro and the r3 does it's thing through it!

There are about 3 songs with keys bass but also there are some pad work I do prior to Love Today.

Can you tell me what you think both of these products add to the live element?

They are rugged and small. Easy to get packed and lightweight. The R3 has a thick live sound which a lot of keyboards fail. Through the PA they sound fat and prominent. The sounds are easily accessible and no need for faffing around during the gig!

What other artists have you worked with and what has so far been the highlight of your career?

Various artist... Since I do both programming and bass I've had a chance to work with some greats. Annie Lennox comes to mind as someone who I thought I'd never be lucky enough to work with. Gareth Gates is a stunning vocalist who the UK public need to give a chance purely on talent.

Jerry Dammers (former member and founder of The Specials) was my mentor, who started me down the producer road.

What are you plans for the future?

Mika is my immediate future. I hope to be working with him for many years to come.

Whats the last thing you listened to on your ipod?

Beck- Timebomb

Twat

Ooh I love the personal touch :roftl:.

Well, for someone who goes on so much about quality, you'd think that he'd be a bit better. Ha.