Saw Rufus last night with Loudon in Brooklyn - was a fabulous show... and he finished up with a Judy medley --- here's a video if you'd like to see.. the lighting resulted in not the greatest visual quality - but the audio is there :wink2:

thanks for sharing the video. i'm going to see him for the first time next month!!!

i suppose he'll mostly sing songs from his new album, but does he also still sing some of his older hits in shows?

I see you are from Oakland - so guessing that's where you're seeing him? :thumb_yello: And Martha is opening - what a treat!

The show in Brooklyn was a little different from the usual set list - with Loudon doing a few songs with Rufus... and Stephen Oremus was there to accompany on piano for the Judy songs - he doesn't normally do the Judy stuff.

In the UK at the beginning of the tour - he was doing the full new CD as a 'song cycle' with no interruptions or applause as the first 'act' and then came back for a second full set to do his older stuff. I don't think he'll be repeating that performance in the US until December when he plays Carnegie Hall.

For your shows (as well as a few that I'm seeing on the East Coast next month) - he'll probably do several from the new album (he did 4 Tuesday - The Dream, Martha, WAYNY, A Woman's Face-sonnet) as well as a lot of older stuff. And I'm sure Martha will join him for a few (April Fool's is a safe bet:biggrin2:)

I think you are going to love it :thumb_yello:

I am still undecided about going to that show, although I would really like to. I am getting married the day before and although our honeymoon plans aren't set in stone, I am not sure if my fiance will want to head to KC for a show. We shall see!

I see you are from Oakland - so guessing that's where you're seeing him? :thumb_yello: And Martha is opening - what a treat!

The show in Brooklyn was a little different from the usual set list - with Loudon doing a few songs with Rufus... and Stephen Oremus was there to accompany on piano for the Judy songs - he doesn't normally do the Judy stuff.

In the UK at the beginning of the tour - he was doing the full new CD as a 'song cycle' with no interruptions or applause as the first 'act' and then came back for a second full set to do his older stuff. I don't think he'll be repeating that performance in the US until December when he plays Carnegie Hall.

For your shows (as well as a few that I'm seeing on the East Coast next month) - he'll probably do several from the new album (he did 4 Tuesday - The Dream, Martha, WAYNY, A Woman's Face-sonnet) as well as a lot of older stuff. And I'm sure Martha will join him for a few (April Fool's is a safe bet:biggrin2:)

I think you are going to love it :thumb_yello:

cool, thanks! i'm getting a bunch of his stuff including the new album and want one to be prepared...:biggrin2:

I am still undecided about going to that show, although I would really like to. I am getting married the day before and although our honeymoon plans aren't set in stone, I am not sure if my fiance will want to head to KC for a show. We shall see!

I'm sorry - you said that a bit back - Well that is an acceptable excuse to miss it :wink2: Unfortunate timing!

and yw koolj5 --- look forward to hearing how you like it :biggrin2:

• 2 weeks later...
cool, thanks! i'm getting a bunch of his stuff including the new album and want one to be prepared...:biggrin2:

well... I came on here to correct myself ((and stumbled upon a Scissor Sisters thread - I think I like your taste koolj5))...

About the US tour... I was - mistakenly - under the impression that Rufus wasn't doing the Lulu show (as an uninterrupted - no applause song cycle first act) in the US... but went to see him in Asbury Park and sure enough... he's doing the full Lulu CD as the first act - and the 2nd is a mix of older stuff. Just wanted to let you know... Martha didn't open last night - it was someone else.... but assuming it will be the same with her as an opening act... we'll see soon :thumb_yello:

well... I came on here to correct myself ((and stumbled upon a Scissor Sisters thread - I think I like your taste koolj5))...

About the US tour... I was - mistakenly - under the impression that Rufus wasn't doing the Lulu show (as an uninterrupted - no applause song cycle first act) in the US... but went to see him in Asbury Park and sure enough... he's doing the full Lulu CD as the first act - and the 2nd is a mix of older stuff. Just wanted to let you know... Martha didn't open last night - it was someone else.... but assuming it will be the same with her as an opening act... we'll see soon :thumb_yello:

glad to see you here :teehee:, was going to ask you about that. i've been trying to find a setlist from current shows since i'm seeing him in only 3 weeks and would like to know the songs.

i have the lulu cd, so i'm getting used to that. :thumb_yello:

do you think he's changing the second part of the show a lot, or will it pretty much be the same for every location?

btw, i'm going to see him in napa (not oakland)...:wink2:

did you have a good time last night? how many more shows will you see on this tour? :shocked:

thank you so much for all your help!!

OH Napa - how perfect! I'm jealous - love Napa Valley... perfect setting for a Rufus concert :thumb_yello:

Sunday was great - of course - but unfortunately, the audience and venue left a little to be desired... there was a lot of audience chatter and disruption during the first act ... and it kind of set the tone for a slightly lackluster Lulu... by the 2nd half Rufus was back in form and gave a great show. He's been on vacation for a little while - so this one was just a warm up :thumb_yello:

Lucky for me he is in the mid-atlantic to start the US leg of his tour --- so

I'm seeing him a few times this week - in Philly, Connecticut and Maryland - all with Martha - so I'll let you know what the set list is like. He has been keeping it pretty much the same for the Lulu shows in the 2nd half - changing up a 1 or 2 each night... but with Martha it will be different... because she will join him for a few songs in the 2nd half of the show (most likely April Fool's... Hallelujah (you may know Rufus said a while back that he wasn't going to be doing that anymore - but Jorn convinced him to as a video of Rufus performing it had over 7 million hits on youtube :roftl:) are pretty sure bets).

ttfn

Lucky for me he is in the mid-atlantic to start the US leg of his tour --- so

I'm seeing him a few times this week - in Philly, Connecticut and Maryland - all with Martha - so I'll let you know what the set list is like.

thanks, that would be really nice!!! have a great time!

Just a quick note on the shows this week and setlist for you :original:

There wasn't much variation from night to night ---

Lulu of course is the first act - and after the intermission

Beauty Mark

Grey Gardens

This Love Affair

Matinee Idol

Memphis Skyline

Art Teacher

Hallelujah (with Martha)

Moulin Rouge (with Martha)

Nuits de Miami (with Martha)

Little Sister

Dinner at Eight

Cigs and Chocolate Milk

Encore:

Poses (with Martha)

Going to a Town

Walking Song (his mother Kate's song)

The shows were all great - aside from the one in Asbury Park (it was the first US Lulu performance - the venue was Horrible - a disrepectful beach crowd - talking during the performance - as he walked in - not paying attention to the 'no applause' request for the first act - people being seated throughout... it all kind of set the tone for that evening and was a bit of a lackluster Lulu). The rest of the Lulu shows during the week were nearly flawless! Positively gorgeous.

Highlight of the week was the Ridgefield CT show - it was a TINY venue - kind of like a fancy old-time movie theater. Gorgeous performance - and Rufus had Martha bring out Arcangelo (her new baby) during Poses. It was his first stage appearance :wub2:

I would advise that at 2 of the venues - they started early - tix stated 8 start time = but Martha started between 730-745. You DO NOT want to miss Martha's set - she blew the roof off every night - the audience gave her standing O's a couple nights - uproared in cheers when she came on to sing with Rufus. I love them together :biggrin2:

And if you like to meet him afterwards - the odds should be pretty good... we were able to say hi after each of the shows - he was very sweet as always.

Edited by prussell716
typo

cigarette and chocolate milk! :boing::boing:

thank you so much for the setlist and the extra advice, i will make sure not to be late!! :biggrin2:

if you meet him after, does he sign things at all?

if you meet him after, does he sign things at all?

if he comes out - it's been my experience that he pretty much always will be happy to autograph things...

and if he has enough time - will be happy to pose for pictures with you. On nights when he is rushed - and there are a larger group of people waiting - he normally will quickly sign and may not have times for pictures...

it really just depends on the schedule/whether or not there is any kind of after party or whatever. Not that I know - but I'd guess that there's a good chance he'll come out after your show (the shows in NYC area - where he has a lot of friends/family in attendance are less likely to get to see Rufus afterwards - because there often are after-show plans with friends/family... so I'd think you'll have a good chance after the Napa show)

So there's no guarantee -- but more often than not - I have been able to say hi etc after the show :thumb_yello:

oh --- and by the way --- he will sign things... but he won't personalize with a specific "for xxxx,,, etc.." he will simply autograph your item with his signature.

Edited by prussell716

oh --- and by the way --- he will sign things... but he won't personalize with a specific "for xxxx,,, etc.." he will simply autograph your item with his signature.

i'll bring a cd to sign just in case. thanks again!

i'm getting really excited!!! :biggrin2:

Hey - I don't know if you are going to the KC show or not - but just heard that it was announced that Lucy Wainwright Roche is opening :biggrin2:

If you haven't seen her before - she is absolutely delightful -- beautiful and angelic voice... very funny on stage... and a sweetheart. If you go... you should say hi during the intermission as she'll probably sign cd's -- she is a dear - love her :thumb_yello:

I cried a little inside around 5:30pm last night because my husband and I were driving in the wrong direction of seeing Rufus live! I would have loved to go but we made different honeymoon plans. Oh well...next time I hope. :)

I have met Lucy and she is such a lovely individual! Really fun, sweet, and totally endearing! Sorry to have missed such a fab lady last night too! They make such a great pair.

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to thank you again for all your information and help, it was really useful for my first RW concert. :biggrin2:

i had a really good time. as you said, martha wraps the audience around her finger, she has an incredible voice.

and then rufus :wub2:, well, hearing him live was just unbelievably beautiful, the place had great acoustics. my friend and i were able to move to the front section during the second part of his show and i ended up having a really good view. :mf_lustslow:

we also didn't believe the security people that he was already gone and met him afterwards. which ended up being not so great for me due to some mishaps with my camera (i wrote about it in the shrink thread:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3169062&postcount=3165) :aah: but i do have his signature, and got to see what a sweet guy he is. :blush-anim-cl:

needless to say, i already got my ticket for the SF symphony...:mf_rosetinted:

i've been checking on the scissor sister thread, how did you like them?

oh - darnit - a couple bittersweet posts... I'm sorry the aftershow meeting didn't go quite perfectly :sad: Next time... maybe chat first and get that out of the way... then if time ask for a picture... at least you did get the signature - and he is a sweetheart :thumb_yello:

And I am GREEN with envy --- you are going to the Sonnets with the SF Symphony?? :thumb_yello: How Fan-Flipping Fabulous... would LOVE to be able to splurge and make a vacation around it - but just can't make it happen - :aah: Such a unique event... I can't wait to hear about it!

I did get to go to the Water Mill Benefit yesterday - with Rufus and Kylie (Minogue)... it was really an interesting show. They did about 10 songs together - some of her stuff... some of his... each kind of struggling with the other's genre - lol... Rufus singing and dancing to Can't Get You Out of My Head was adorable - although clearly not his element... and the same said about Kylie's ventures into the Wainwright/McGarrigle songbook... but proved to be a fun afternoon.

Here's a vid if you'd like to see...

And the Scissor Sisters... let me go reply on there -- but WOW! Nothing like Jake live :biggrin2:

Edited by prussell716

oh - darnit - a couple bittersweet posts... I'm sorry the aftershow meeting didn't go quite perfectly Next time... maybe chat first and get that out of the way... then if time ask for a picture... at least you did get the signature - and he is a sweetheart

And I am GREEN with envy --- you are going to the Sonnets with the SF Symphony?? :thumb_yello: How Fan-Flipping Fabulous... would LOVE to be able to splurge and make a vacation around it - but just can't make it happen - :aah: Such a unique event... I can't wait to hear about it!

I did get to go to the Water Mill Benefit yesterday - with Rufus and Kylie (Minogue)... it was really an interesting show. They did about 10 songs together - some of her stuff... some of his... each kind of struggling with the other's genre - lol... Rufus singing and dancing to Can't Get You Out of My Head was adorable - although clearly not his element... and the same said about Kylie's ventures into the Wainwright/McGarrigle songbook... but proved to be a fun afternoon.

Here's a vid if you'd like to see...

And the Scissor Sisters... let me go reply on there -- but WOW! Nothing like Jake live :biggrin2:

yayy, you're back!!! :woot_jump:

somebody who understands...:teehee:

i did know that you were at watermill, thanks to some lurking over on the RWMB :mf_rosetinted: i'm jealous of that one!

saw your great video (kylie tweeted it?! :shocked::thumb_yello:), i think that was the first time i ever heard RW sing falsetto...:blush-anim-cl:

love the dancing and improvising..

i love it when they're not in their element, you get to see what kind of a person they are much more then. :wub2:

yeah, so don't be jealous about the symphony, you're able to catch him a lot more over on the east coast... :wink2:

plus i'm sitting really far up and back... but i am excited!!

yes, next time i won't even ask for a pic, what bugs me is, I didn't want one, my friend did! and then she ended up having all that time with him while i was struggling and i got NONE... i just wanted the siggie and one look...:sad:

but it's ok, not a big deal in the big picture, i still had a great time...

*off to the scissor sisters thread...*

• 5 weeks later...

Rufus is quiet here... but lots of new show dates are popping up in November and December - :clap::clap::clap: - especially in Canada!

Nov 26, 2010 - Vancouver, BC

Centre For the Performing Arts Centre For the Performing Arts

Nov 27, 2010 - Edmonton, AB

Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium

Nov 28, 2010 - Calgary, AB

Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium

Nov 30, 2010 - Saskatoon, SK

TCU Place TCU Place

Dec 01, 2010 - Winnipeg, MB

Burton Cummings Theatre Burton Cummings Theatre

Dec 06, 2010 - New York CIty, NY

Carnegie Hall Carnegie Hall :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Dec 09, 2010 - Albany, NY

The Egg The Egg

Dec 14, 2010 - Wilmington, DE

Grand Opera House Grand Opera House :biggrin2: woohoo :naughty:

Dec 29, 2010 - Aspen, CO

Belly Up Belly Up

so much for Rufus taking a break! :naughty:

Rufus is quiet here... but lots of new show dates are popping up in November and December - :clap::clap::clap: - especially in Canada!

Nov 26, 2010 - Vancouver, BC

Centre For the Performing Arts Centre For the Performing Arts

Nov 27, 2010 - Edmonton, AB

Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium

Nov 28, 2010 - Calgary, AB

Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium

Nov 30, 2010 - Saskatoon, SK

TCU Place TCU Place

Dec 01, 2010 - Winnipeg, MB

Burton Cummings Theatre Burton Cummings Theatre

Dec 06, 2010 - New York CIty, NY

Carnegie Hall Carnegie Hall :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Dec 09, 2010 - Albany, NY

The Egg The Egg

Dec 14, 2010 - Wilmington, DE

Grand Opera House Grand Opera House :biggrin2: woohoo :naughty:

Dec 29, 2010 - Aspen, CO

Belly Up Belly Up

so much for Rufus taking a break! :naughty:

i take it you're going to carnegie hall and the grand opera house in wilmington... lucky you! :thumb_yello:

what kind of show is he going to do?

wish he came back to the west coast, too, not just for the symphony...:aah:

well... oops - you guessed it :blush-anim-cl:

the Delaware show is literally in my back yard... and Carnegie is a train ride away - and the day after my birthday - so a must :biggrin2:

The Carnegie show is sort of an event... I think both will feature the Lulu first act... Carnegie will have Stephen Oremus - so we'll get some Judy stuff... but doubt he'll be at the Delaware show - so that one will be Lulu with the 2nd half of Rufus oldies at the piano...

Teddy Thompson is opening for Rufus in Canada - so far just officially announced for the Vancouver show --- but would DIE to have him open in Delaware or NYC :thumb_yello: he's just fab! do you know Teddy?

watch for our boy here :roftl:

well... oops - you guessed it :blush-anim-cl:

the Delaware show is literally in my back yard... and Carnegie is a train ride away - and the day after my birthday - so a must :biggrin2:

The Carnegie show is sort of an event... I think both will feature the Lulu first act... Carnegie will have Stephen Oremus - so we'll get some Judy stuff... but doubt he'll be at the Delaware show - so that one will be Lulu with the 2nd half of Rufus oldies at the piano...

Teddy Thompson is opening for Rufus in Canada - so far just officially announced for the Vancouver show --- but would DIE to have him open in Delaware or NYC :thumb_yello: he's just fab! do you know Teddy?

watch for our boy here :roftl:

OMG, that is hilarious, thank you! :roftl:

you just totally made my day...:blush-anim-cl:

i've seen the teddy thompson name pop up a lot around rufus, so i've checked him out before. they are old friends or something, have worked together a lot? both growing up in musical families? is there anything else to know?

wow, more lulu, i thought he said, he was done with the lulu tour. would love to see it again, too... i'll be watching for your reports...:wink2:

yep - sounds like you got it --- his parents, Richard and Linda Thompson are musicians... his sister Kami... another talented family :thumb_yello: They are old friends - I've seen him a few times performing with Rufus... he's great. I really don't think he'll be opening at the shows I'm going to ... just would be Fab though :biggrin2:

And Rufus did say that he was taking a year break from touring after his Carnegie Hall show... but that was when Carnegie was tentatively scheduled for Dec 29... now Carnegie is officially Dec 6 - so other shows have followed it. So I'd guess that the Aspen show the 29th is now that last for a while? Who knows - lol... I did ask him after his show in DC if he was serious about the year off thing... and he said yes - that he'll do the one off shows or appearances every now and then... but no tour for a year or so. So time will tell I guess... I'm happy to have 2 more at least :thumb_yello:

Forgot to mention - there is already a "one off" scheduled in Louisville KY Feb 5th - where Rufus is performing with the Louisville Orchestra!

Edited by prussell716