bump :biggrin2:

found some videos on youtube from the same evening that i was there:

(the same user posted about 5, including some Q&A)

Wow, I really want to listen to that, but something has gone wrong with my sound on the computer!:boxed: I hate technology when it's not working properly!:mad3:

I'll be back!!!!!!:thumb_yello:

wow, big news.

first, rufus is now engaged! :blush-anim-cl: (or should i say :aah:)

anyways, good for them! :thumb_yello:

second, 5 consecutive nights at the ROH in london next july! :aah::aah::aah:

JULY of all times, when the tickets are the most expensive...:sneaky2:

i may be in london in april or may, but can't afford going at the height of the summer...:crybaby:

oh well. maybe he'll announce something for the US, too.

prussell716, are you going to london? :wink2:

wow, big news.

first, rufus is now engaged! :blush-anim-cl: (or should i say :aah:)

second, 5 consecutive nights at the ROH in london next july!

oooh, such good news! I'm so glad for them :blush-anim-cl:

would love to do the opera house gigs... you Americans are lucky, yes the tickets are expensive but at least you don't need a visa to go to England) that's what always stops me in the first place :sneaky2:

still, lots of time to decide :thumb_yello:

UPD here's a good article and a sneak preview of what's to come! http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/nov/22/rufus-wainwright-royal-opera-house

yeah - well it's been an exciting few hours! happy for Rufus and Jorn :wub2::wub2:

and the shows in London - WOW!! :biggrin2:

an amazing mix of shows - and I didn't get to see the full Judy show - so I can't wait! :thumb_yello:

it came on so fast... up at 3 am this morning to buy tickets which was stressful... excited... but a bit sleepy... going to be a long day at the office today! :sleep_1::sleep_1:

yeah - well it's been an exciting few hours! happy for Rufus and Jorn :wub2::wub2:

and the shows in London - WOW!! :biggrin2:

an amazing mix of shows - and I didn't get to see the full Judy show - so I can't wait! :thumb_yello:

it came on so fast... up at 3 am this morning to buy tickets which was stressful... excited... but a bit sleepy... going to be a long day at the office today! :sleep_1::sleep_1:

lucky you!!! i'm happy you can make it there. :thumb_yello:

i've noticed that the sonnets (w/ orchestra) are absent in this program. i hope it's not because of all the whiny classical critics. they should realize how beneficial it actually is for the classical world when someone like rufus tries to cross over... instead of shredding him to pieces...:thumbdown:

something tells me, though, that they won't stop him at all...:biggrin2:

wish i could see some of the judy songs sometime, too...

how many nights are you going?

lucky you!!! i'm happy you can make it there. :thumb_yello:

i've noticed that the sonnets (w/ orchestra) are absent in this program. i hope it's not because of all the whiny classical critics. they should realize how beneficial it actually is for the classical world when someone like rufus tries to cross over... instead of shredding him to pieces...:thumbdown:

something tells me, though, that they won't stop him at all...:biggrin2:

wish i could see some of the judy songs sometime, too...

how many nights are you going?

Thanks!

On the last night... where it's billed as "Rufus does Rufus" for the 2nd half... and the orchestra/etc is there - maybe some sonnets will pop in :wink2: I'd like that!

Since I'm making the trip... I'm just going to break the piggy bank open and see all the shows:blush-anim-cl:

They are all different - except for the repeat of the Judy show... but wth!

They're billing the shows with Martha and Loudon as with the band :groovy: So I'm assuming that's accurate. While I have been loving the solo tours he's been doing the past couple years... I do miss seeing Rufus with a full band :biggrin2::clap::clap:

I'm lucky that I have friends in London who will have a bed for me --- so I don't have hotel expenses... so I'm gonna splurge! (although I am going to cut a few other things I had planned - no Atlanta trip for Jake :boxed:)

I'm very excited obviously :thumb_yello:

Haven't been on here in a while but what fantastic news that Rufus and Jorn are engaged, I am so happy for them. I was actually at the Royal Albert Hall when he made the announcement and he was beaming from ear to ear :mf_lustslow:

Koolj5 how fabulous you went to the San Fransisco show - I loved your report.:thumb_yello: Not sure if you know but it was on KDFC Radio last week. it's here for anyone who wants to listen to it :biggrin2:

KDFC RADIO

so Prussell you must be very excited for the Carnegie show...only 6 days to go:aah:

so Prussell you must be very excited for the Carnegie show...only 6 days to go:aah:

ummmm... just a touch :naughty:

and for any that haven't heard... Tim Hailand's book featuring Rufus in his "One Day in The Life" series is now on pre-order!! :thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Clicky

If you aren't familiar with the project - here's a blurb from Tim's website -

Originally started in 2006 as an editorial assignment on singer Jake Shears, the One Day in the Life of book series was officially launched in December 2009 with the publication of One Day in the Life of Daniel Radcliffe, following the famed actor as he appeared on the Broadway stage in Equus. Hailand Books is pleased to announce two new titles in the book series: One Day in the Life of Rufus Wainwright, and One Day in the Life of Jake Shears. With these new volumes, Tim Hailand takes us along on a tour in pictures through an entire day with these creative figures. Based formally on the concept of The Wizard of Oz, we move through the more mundane aspects of the day in black and white images, and pop into the color world during the actual performance itself.

Moving into the world of sports, 2011 will see the release of One Day in the life of Gareth Thomas, which will detail a day in the life of the famed Welsh Rugby player as he plays with his team in Cardiff. Stay tuned for more titles to be released in 2011.

Both One Day in the Life of Rufus Wainwright, and One Day in the Life of Jake Shears are available NOW for pre-order at the special price of $30, and will be $35 upon publication February 2011. Click buy the book option to order your copy now.

:groupwave::groupwave:

ummmm... just a touch :naughty:

and for any that haven't heard... Tim Hailand's book featuring Rufus in his "One Day in The Life" series is now on pre-order!! :thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Clicky

If you aren't familiar with the project - here's a blurb from Tim's website -

Originally started in 2006 as an editorial assignment on singer Jake Shears, the One Day in the Life of book series was officially launched in December 2009 with the publication of One Day in the Life of Daniel Radcliffe, following the famed actor as he appeared on the Broadway stage in Equus. Hailand Books is pleased to announce two new titles in the book series: One Day in the Life of Rufus Wainwright, and One Day in the Life of Jake Shears. With these new volumes, Tim Hailand takes us along on a tour in pictures through an entire day with these creative figures. Based formally on the concept of The Wizard of Oz, we move through the more mundane aspects of the day in black and white images, and pop into the color world during the actual performance itself.

Moving into the world of sports, 2011 will see the release of One Day in the life of Gareth Thomas, which will detail a day in the life of the famed Welsh Rugby player as he plays with his team in Cardiff. Stay tuned for more titles to be released in 2011.

Both One Day in the Life of Rufus Wainwright, and One Day in the Life of Jake Shears are available NOW for pre-order at the special price of $30, and will be $35 upon publication February 2011. Click buy the book option to order your copy now.

:groupwave::groupwave:

Thanks for letting us know :thumb_yello: I didn't know about this project at all.

:woot_jump:

can you tell i'm patiently waiting to hear about the last few nights' performances?! :naughty:

carnegie hall anyone? :teehee:

saw there were some exciting announcements!

except not for me of course. :sneaky2:

to be ASKED to use cameras during the last lulu performances - oh i so wish i didn't miss the one in massachusetts by a few days!!! :aah:

can you tell i'm patiently waiting to hear about the last few nights' performances?! :naughty:

carnegie hall anyone? :teehee:

His performance was brilliant in Toronto on Saturday. I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time - although that probably had as much to do with my lack of Tokyo jetlag and my 4th row seats as with his performance. :naughty:

Anyway he said that he was disappointed that Toronto didn't suck because he wanted Carnegie Hall to easily surpass it (words to that effect). He said he should have scheduled Buffalo in between because, as they say, you can let it all go in Buffalo. :roftl:

Teddy Thompson was a great opening act and his duets with Rufus were a highlight of the show. And Rufus on his own...wow, wow, wow! :shocked: In recordings his voice sounds, I don't know, almost flat. But his is so rich and beautiful live, it's like no other singing voice I've ever heard. The only thing I can compare it to is the low notes of a cello. I have been listening to this Bach prelude a lot over the past several weeks and I swear Rufus sounds exactly like this!

[YOUTUBE]S6yuR8efotI[/YOUTUBE]

Mika seriously needs to take some lessons from Rufus on what constitutes an ACOUSTIC show. Nothing can beat this. Every note was crystal clear and I could see the strings of the REAL piano being struck in the reflection of the inside of the lid. You know when Mika does a really good Over My Shoulder? This concert was 2 hours of that.

His last number was a song by Kate McGarrigle, written about Loudon. His voice never wavered but he had tears streaming down his face when he went to take a bow. It was really moving. :tears:

I don't know if he has an affinity for Toronto per se, but he spoke about being here as a sort of homecoming I guess because it's Canada. He said he had gone to the Bay that day, which is my local department store. If only I'd gone shopping earlier. :roftl:

His performance was brilliant in Toronto on Saturday. I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time - although that probably had as much to do with my lack of Tokyo jetlag and my 4th row seats as with his performance. :naughty:

Anyway he said that he was disappointed that Toronto didn't suck because he wanted Carnegie Hall to easily surpass it (words to that effect). He said he should have scheduled Buffalo in between because, as they say, you can let it all go in Buffalo. :roftl:

Teddy Thompson was a great opening act and his duets with Rufus were a highlight of the show. And Rufus on his own...wow, wow, wow! :shocked: In recordings his voice sounds, I don't know, almost flat. But his is so rich and beautiful live, it's like no other singing voice I've ever heard. The only thing I can compare it to is the low notes of a cello. I have been listening to this Bach prelude a lot over the past several weeks and I swear Rufus sounds exactly like this!

[YOUTUBE]S6yuR8efotI[/YOUTUBE]

Mika seriously needs to take some lessons from Rufus on what constitutes an ACOUSTIC show. Nothing can beat this. Every note was crystal clear and I could see the strings of the REAL piano being struck in the reflection of the inside of the lid. You know when Mika does a really good Over My Shoulder? This concert was 2 hours of that.

His last number was a song by Kate McGarrigle, written about Loudon. His voice never wavered but he had tears streaming down his face when he went to take a bow. It was really moving. :tears:

I don't know if he has an affinity for Toronto per se, but he spoke about being here as a sort of homecoming I guess because it's Canada. He said he had gone to the Bay that day, which is my local department store. If only I'd gone shopping earlier. :roftl:

OMG, i know exactly what you mean. His voice live is just so much better than listening to recordings. i was lucky to have seen him in two places with great acoustics, and at the symphony his voice just blew my mind..:fangurl:

how special also how he puts his emotions into a performance, makes you witness something way more profound than just some songs... unfortunately i missed that when i saw the lulu performance...

i'm so glad you had a good time! thanks for reporting!

So glad that you enjoyed it Christine - would have LOVED to have seen Teddy and Rufus do The Maker Makes in person!! :thumb_yello:

Have returned home from a trip to NYC to see the Carnegie Show... exhausted - but so well worth it! Rufus was in such a good mood - very obviously proud of himself :biggrin2::biggrin2: Having a solo performance at Carnegie Hall was a big deal for him I think... and he quickly announced that Prima Donna will come to City Opera in NYC in 2012! :thumb_yello::pbjt:

Lulu was close to perfect... we were treated to lots of Judy with Stephen Oremus on piano... and Martha was there with Arcangelo too! :thumb_yello:

Lots of celebs in attendance... Loudon, Suzi Roche, Antony, Justin Bond, Cherry Vanilla, Tim Hailand, Martha Stewart, Julianne Moore and Michael Stipe were in the audience.

Wasn't going to wait at the stage door - as it was FREEZING - but some friends wandered and we followed... and quickly Rufus emerged - hurried - but we got to say hi... and I got a birthday wish (as my friend said - Rufus..it's Paul's birthday) :biggrin2: so all in all - a wonderful night. And to find out we are encouraged to take pix and videos - can't wait for next week! We weren't supposed to take pix at this show - and I had a new camera that I was getting used to... but I did get a few... a couple nice ones of Martha and Arcangelo...

Here's a link to some photos if interested ... will get better ones next week! :thumb_yello:

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/prussell716/Carnegie%202010/

So glad that you enjoyed it Christine - would have LOVED to have seen Teddy and Rufus do The Maker Makes in person!! :thumb_yello:

Have returned home from a trip to NYC to see the Carnegie Show... exhausted - but so well worth it! Rufus was in such a good mood - very obviously proud of himself :biggrin2::biggrin2: Having a solo performance at Carnegie Hall was a big deal for him I think... and he quickly announced that Prima Donna will come to City Opera in NYC in 2012! :thumb_yello::pbjt:

Lulu was close to perfect... we were treated to lots of Judy with Stephen Oremus on piano... and Martha was there with Arcangelo too! :thumb_yello:

Lots of celebs in attendance... Loudon, Suzi Roche, Antony, Justin Bond, Cherry Vanilla, Tim Hailand, Martha Stewart, Julianne Moore and Michael Stipe were in the audience.

Wasn't going to wait at the stage door - as it was FREEZING - but some friends wandered and we followed... and quickly Rufus emerged - hurried - but we got to say hi... and I got a birthday wish (as my friend said - Rufus..it's Paul's birthday) :biggrin2: so all in all - a wonderful night. And to find out we are encouraged to take pix and videos - can't wait for next week! We weren't supposed to take pix at this show - and I had a new camera that I was getting used to... but I did get a few... a couple nice ones of Martha and Arcangelo...

Here's a link to some photos if interested ... will get better ones next week! :thumb_yello:

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/prussell716/Carnegie%202010/

Happy Birthday, Paul!!! :yay: (belated)

what a great evening to have on your special day...:thumb_yello:

thank you so much for the report and the pics, they are great, looks like you were in the front.

i'm having so much stress right now (doesn't everyone in december) it is really nice to listen to rufus and hear about his concerts from you guys. the night of christine's concert i was even dreaming about RW and his shows...:naughty:

I totally understand what you mean. I have seen him live only once, and I was so surprised and also almost ashamed that I hadn't realized earlier how amazing his voice is. It is so soft and so powerful at the same time, so beautiful. Glad to hear you enjoyed so much, Christine! :thumb_yello:

Paul, thanks for your report, too!! Going to watch your pics now :biggrin2:

I really like Rufus Wainwright as a human being, my mom had all his mom LP when I was young, I really like him in interviews and he's been through the same ordeal I went through with my dad... I wish I could love his music... but it's difficult:blush-anim-cl:

I really like Rufus Wainwright as a human being, my mom had all his mom LP when I was young, I really like him in interviews and he's been through the same ordeal I went through with my dad... I wish I could love his music... but it's difficult:blush-anim-cl:

hi! :bye:

judging from the fact that you like mika's music i'm thinking there must be at least a few rufus songs that you would like...:dunno:

you've probably tried that already but i still allowed myself to post some suggestions on your wall...:teehee:

hope you don't mind...:wink2:

I know what you mean and I think some of his songs are really hard to "understand!!

What kind of music did his mother do? The only ones I've heard are folk-songs.

If I hadn't read and heard a few interviews with him, where he really show his fascinating, humorous and humble personality, I'm not sure if I would have put so much effort in to trying to "get" his music!:wink2:

But, from the very start I've always been fascinated, almost enchanted, by his voice!:blush-anim-cl:

hi! :bye:

judging from the fact that you like mika's music i'm thinking there must be at least a few rufus songs that you would like...:dunno:

you've probably tried that already but i still allowed myself to post some suggestions on your wall...:teehee:

hope you don't mind...:wink2:

*takes a sneak peek in cathouzouf's wall*:teehee:

I know what you mean and I think some of his songs are really hard to "understand!!

What kind of music did his mother do? The only ones I've heard are folk-songs.

If I hadn't read and heard a few interviews with him, where he really show his fascinating, humorous and humble personality, I'm not sure if I would have put so much effort in to trying to "get" his music!:wink2:

But, from the very start I've always been fascinated, almost enchanted, by his voice!:blush-anim-cl:

*takes a sneak peek in cathouzouf's wall*:teehee:

his mom's songs were mainly folk.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into that:biggrin2:

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into that:biggrin2:

oh, i forgot: did you say you had a similar experience with your dad? have you heard 'dinner at eight'? it's about their relationship...

excellent suggestions, by the way! and I guess the April Fools video is exactly what I would recommend for a first try :thumb_yello:

i'm just drawing from my own short little experience...:naughty:

excellent suggestions, by the way! and I guess the April Fools video is exactly what I would recommend for a first try :thumb_yello:

I agree, very good suggestions! The first song I heard was Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, and it's very easy and addictive, I immediately loved it. Later I heard songs like Going to Town, it's so beautiful and his voice is so lovely... :wub2: One of my favorites is Beauty Mark, because of the lyrics.

I agree, very good suggestions! The first song I heard was Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, and it's very easy and addictive, I immediately loved it. Later I heard songs like Going to Town, it's so beautiful and his voice is so lovely... :wub2: One of my favorites is Beauty Mark, because of the lyrics.

The very first song I heard was Poses . . and of course was immediately hooked!!!! April Fool's was my second one. Once I heard Rufus I just could not get enough . . and never will be able to as long as I live!!!! He is JUST that amazing!!!! AAhhhhh :wub2: