2008 - Mika @ The Capital Radio Awards

Becky

Hasn't anyone seen the backstage interview?

He says what he's been doing. Hanging out in London, checking out some experimental theatre and writing and demoing some of his songs.

Doesn't sound to me like he's actually laying down tracks for the album, especially in the US.

I did and he looks so shy in it! I was really surprised, he didn't even look into the camera :blink:

Well done Mika, well deserved, glad to see the album getting an award at last, especially.

His outfit is great! I love him in that shirt. And how does he manage to still look so damn sexy even when tired. I hate him.

Thanks everyone for posting links and the fab pics :biggrin2:

Does anyone have the Mika & Robyn pic without watermarks???

Well done Mika, well deserved, glad to see the album getting an award at last, especially.

His outfit is great! I love him in that shirt. And how does he manage to still look so damn sexy even when tired. I hate him.

Thanks everyone for posting links and the fab pics :biggrin2:

Does anyone have the Mika & Robyn pic without watermarks???

no, I'd love a watermark free one too, dunno how to do it though...:blink:

no, I can't watch it, is there some problem with the website or something?

I'd love to watch, is it on youtube?

Sorry, I can only record it in .ivr format which has to be played on RealPlayer. I can't upload it to YouTube. (Well they deleted my account anyway...:thumbdown: )

Here's a transcript:

What are you up to at the moment? Have you had much of a chance for a break yet?

Uhhh...well, kind of. I just thought...what am I going to do? Am I going to go off and do one big long expensive holiday and waste a lot of money or am I...?

Instead I just kind of stayed in London and I'm doing my thing. I'm writing, I'm demoing a lot of songs that I've never had a chance to demo in the past year. And seeing a lot of things that inspire me.

You know, going to see shows. A lot of theatre. I saw a lot of, like, weird experimental visual theatre. Steal as many ideas as I possibly can.

Are they going to be on the videos for the second album?

Or my next show, yeah. It's gotta come from somewhere.

When can we expect the next album?

When it's finished. I mean I've already started it, you know. And I certainly intend on releasing it when it's ready...when it's finished.

Do you feel pressure, obviously the first album did so well?

Well there's always that. When you do things like this, you know. When I first started I was a bit of a crazy experiment. I was this kid that they signed and I had done a lot of it on my own. No one really knew what was going to happen.

But now I've got a big pound sign kind of stamped on my forehead. But I'm certainly not going to let that distract me in any way. As far as I'm concerned I'm just doing the same thing that I was always doing. It's got to come from the same place. Otherwise you've sold your soul.

It's always a challenge, the next one isn't it? The follow up album...

Yeah, it is, but luckily I got to make the first album on my terms with my own songs. Everything from the visual aesthetic to the co-production that I did, it was my own terms.

I think it's really hard if someone else does it for you and then you've got to do it all over again.

Sorry, I can only record it in .ivr format which has to be played on RealPlayer. I can't upload it to YouTube. (Well they deleted my account anyway...:thumbdown: )

Here's a transcript:

What are you up to at the moment? Have you had much of a chance for a break yet?

Uhhh...well, kind of. I just thought...what am I going to do? Am I going to go off and do one big long expensive holiday and waste a lot of money or am I...?

Instead I just kind of stayed in London and I'm doing my thing. I'm writing, I'm demoing a lot of songs that I've never had a chance to demo in the past year. And seeing a lot of things that inspire me.

You know, going to see shows. A lot of theatre. I saw a lot of, like, weird experimental visual theatre. Steal as many ideas as I possibly can.

When it's finished. I mean I've already started it, you know. And I certainly intend on releasing it when it's ready...when it's finished.

Well there's always that. When you do things like this, you know. When I first started I was a bit of a crazy experiment. I was this kid that they signed and I had done a lot of it on my own. No one really knew what was going to happen.

But now I've got a big pound sign kind of stamped on my forehead. But I'm certainly not going to let that distract me in any way. As far as I'm concerned I'm just doing the same thing that I was always doing. It's got to come from the same place. Otherwise you've sold your soul.

Yeah, it is, but luckily I got to make the first album on my terms with my own songs. Everything from the visual aesthetic to the co-production that I did, it was my own terms.

I think it's really hard if someone else does it for you and then you've got to do it all over again.

Oh wow!! Thank you so much for that!!:flowers2::huglove:

I heard parts of it just a second ago, and then the video came on but jumped so much it didn't make sense, so thats really appreciated!:thumb_yello:

pity about your youtube account!

Here's a transcript:

thank you for taking the time christine... sounds like he is keeping busy.

:wink2:

Thanks for the transcript Christine (I don't even know where the video is, let alone find out if I can play it :blink: )

Is it me or is he being deliberately cagey about the timing of the album, to put journos and interviewers off asking about dates? I bet he's further along with it than he makes out. Or maybe he's telling the truth and we've another 18 months to wait :blink::naughty:

Thanks for the transcript Christine (I don't even know where the video is, let alone find out if I can play it :blink: )

Is it me or is he being deliberately cagey about the timing of the album, to put journos and interviewers off asking about dates? I bet he's further along with it than he makes out. Or maybe he's telling the truth and we've another 18 months to wait :blink::naughty:

The video player is here.

http://mediaweb.musicradio.com/player/default.asp?s=71&e=39614

There's a menu on the right and you have to click on the backstage interviews...choose the Mika one obviously. :wink2:

I think it is going to be awhile for this album. I expected he'd be laying down tracks in LA right now, not hanging out in London.

Even when he finally gets down to it, there's still a gap between producing the album and getting it on the shelves.

Wasn't he recording LICM in the summer of 2006? Or have I always just guessed that?

Here's a transcript:

Thanks a lot for posting that!!!:flowers2:

I appreciate it sooo much!

I think he's right to be cagey, that way there's no pressure from the outside. I would imagine he has quite a few songs under hs belt, but as with most artists, there's always things that get your attention to inspire you to write something else.

He mentions going to see experimental theatre, and getting ideas for shows. It would be interesting to see how that pans out. I remember when The Thompson Twins did the video for Hold Me Now, they were inspired by Japanese Kabuki theatre. That would be an interesting thing for Mika to incorporate.

I did and he looks so shy in it! I was really surprised, he didn't even look into the camera :blink:

I agree Cath, he didn't seem his usual bright bubbly self but if he HAS been doing demos, then he could be up till all hours with that perfectionism (is that a word lol) he has.

and as he says going to unusual theatre shows to crib ideas and stuff lol then maybe he is just a tired bear.

The video player is here.

http://mediaweb.musicradio.com/player/default.asp?s=71&e=39614

There's a menu on the right and you have to click on the backstage interviews...choose the Mika one obviously. :wink2:

I think it is going to be awhile for this album. I expected he'd be laying down tracks in LA right now, not hanging out in London.

Even when he finally gets down to it, there's still a gap between producing the album and getting it on the shelves.

Wasn't he recording LICM in the summer of 2006? Or have I always just guessed that?

Thanks. Normally I'd've found it no problem myself but it's so late here and I'm tired.. so cheers for that.

(I groaned a bit at the "to think that 2 years ago I was at the Royal College of Music and now...."..for God's sake Mika, the whole flaming world knows you were at the RCM by now!!! But at least he's moved on from saying a year and a half ago...)

:blink: I'm criticising...time to go to bed!!

(I groaned a bit at the "to think that 2 years ago I was at the Royal College of Music and now...."..for God's sake Mika, the whole flaming world knows you were at the RCM by now!!! But at least he's moved on from saying a year and a half ago...)

Notice I didn't put that bit in the transcript. :naughty:

I agree Cath, he didn't seem his usual bright bubbly self but if he HAS been doing demos, then he could be up till all hours with that perfectionism (is that a word lol) he has.

and as he says going to unusual theatre shows to crib ideas and stuff lol then maybe he is just a tired bear.

he DOES look freakishly tired! even the heavy foundation couldn't hide it :naughty: