Fan reviews of The Origin of Love

suzie

The first swedish review of tool in Gaffa 26/9

http://gaffa.se/recension/64315

3/6 stars

In the borderland between the playground and the dance floor.

Everything Mika does is of first-class quality. But with his slightly schizophrenic pop in which he alternates between being Freddie Mercury, gay icon and kindergarten teacher I have a hard time understanding the latter role. He has a tendency to lapse into some sort of bubblegum pop that probably will work well at the preschools but sounds slightly forced for a grown up ear.

At The Origin Of Love it's thankfully less of the terrible childish jump-and-play-pop and more of that gorgeous, dark disco where his expressive, slightly musical voice comes into its own, without being too articulate over-explicit. Sometimes he actually manage sucessfully to bring the two together, like on the single Celebrate, a sort of disco anthem (in which Pharrell makes a negligible contribution and at the same time manage to delete all the sex appeal he usually possesses). I still miss the subtle. Mika always writes his listeners on the nose* with his tunes, texts and melodies, but with his third album he does it at least with a little more finesse.

Review by Maria Stacke

*To write someone on the nose is a swedish saying and means: Trying to impose someone else your own thoughts and opinions in a less respectful and tactful way.

Edited by Lilasko

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Review of The album, The Origin Of Love, By Mika.

The Origin Of Love:

This song is really good for the beginning of the album. It gets you dancing and gets you going. I've enjoyed this song live, and I think the best songs on the album are those that will be good live. I think Mika will tweek this song quite a bit when he sings it live because there's so many layers to it. From the Gothic Chant, to the Chorus which links the song to Underwater in a clever way. More on that later. All in all, a great opener, and proof already that even though Mika has evolved, he is still our Mika at his heart. 7/10

Lola:

This is a lovely song and one of those which shows Mika's lower range beautifully. It could be a single, but it's not one of those that screams out to be released as such. I can see it being a great fave at the gigs, with everyone singing "Looooola, oh Looooola!" 7/10

Stardust:

For me, it's vintage Mika. It's a great song and shows that he's not forgotten his falsetto roots. It's a bit like Love Today, and that's a good thing. He did mention though, that it might be hard to sing. But I think he'll manage it very well. 8/10

Make You Happy:

A lot of people didn't seem to like this when they first heard it. But I notice people are getting into it better now. For me, I know it's different, but it is Mika trying new things. I think it's so good that he does that, as no one wants a boring popstar who always sings the same kinds of songgs. But this song says to me that Mika is MORE than a popstar. He lives to entertain in new ways. The chorus always sounds, to me, like there's a Dalek in love with him and wanting to make him happy. But that's okay. I wouldn't blame the Daleks if they were! 8/10

Underwater:

If I have one critisism of the song, it's that the two verses are too similar. It would have been nice if the story within the song had caried on somewhere else, instead of almost repeating itself in the 2nd verse. I also don't understand why the "Underwater underwater I can live underwater" bit needs to be lost in the chorus, so that it doesn't stand out, on the album. That bit sounds great when he sings it live. But it it a song that is easy to listen to, and the chorus is great. It links to Origin with the 'love and breathing' references. 7/10

Overrated:

A brilliant dance track. I enjoyed the demo, but the beginning of the verse always reminded me of another song. I like what he's done with the song on the album, though it's not one of my faves, I wouldn't skip it. 6/10

Kids:

I love this one. It's a really good song imo. It has this catchy chorus that gets you humming. I sing the chorus when I'm walking around the house. That's the mark of a good song. 8/10

Love You When I'm Drunk:

This is one for which I've saved some higher marks. Once again, vintage Mika, but with a more adult theme. The story of a couple who've been together a while, and have become a habit, only really affectionate when they've had a few too many. I'm sure many will identify with the dilema of the couple in the song, and if they don't, they'll know someone who is like that. This song screams SINGLE!! 9/10

Step With Me:

Beautiful, just beautiful. The vocals are gorgeous, the sentiment is wonderful. The story of a love that will, hopefully, last a lifetime. Not only is this unusual in love songs today, where it's usually just about the moment, and the sex, but also, the fact that an openly gay man co-wrote the song and is voicing these feelings so poiniently on the cd, will bring home to people, that gay people have the same romantic feelings as straight people do, and will fall deeply in love with each other, and want to be in a lasting relationship. I really love this old fashioned song about courtship and marraige. Well done Mika. 9/10

Popular Song:

After the undiluted romance of SWM, we come to a song that is really a lot of fun. I love the rap, the tune of the song. I enjoy the "I know about Popuuuuaalar" part. That again is Mika once again showing us he's still able to thrill with the high notes. But it's also about being true to yourself, and Mika has been. This song is more proof of this. 9/10

Emily:

I didn't know if I'd like the English version. When he performed it live he was singing it as if HE was the one arguing with his mum. But that smacks of the old days of WAG, and Mika has grown up, so singing it like that wouldn't have fit on this, more mature, album. I love how he's projected it onto a young girl instead. We don't know what the relationship is between Emily and the man in the song. Maybe it's her brother best friend or someone who'd like to be her boyfriend, but it doesn't matter. It's a lot of fun with elements of EMD. 8/10

Heroes:

Quite simply the best song Mika has ever written. It shows his caring side and his genius as a songwriter. It's a song which will make people take Mika seriously at last, and stop them trivialising everything he does as just bublegum pop with rainbow sprinkles. So I don't think this song would be a single, but I think it will have a life of its own, similar to Happy Endings in the way it would be percieved and played on shows, or movie tracks. But Heroes is far more thought provoking and heart wrenching. This song, which Mika sings to perfection, from the slow, low verse, to the high, spine-tingling chorus, will show that side to Mika which only his fans have picked up on up to now. That he's the kindiest man who is genuinely hurt by injustice and outrage. Not just some goofy guy who struts around the stage, as people have thought he was, up to now. Heroes is getting 10/10

Celebrate:

Not one of my faves, but it's those two letters and a bit more. I love it live, with the China Boy verse, much better than that bit with Pharell, which I don't think needs to be there. Lyrically, that rap-bit spoils the song. Any child can rhyme, fun, with begun. It's something critics will latch onto, especially in the UK, where any excuse to dis Mika is taken with both hands. But apart from that, it's a nice song. But not what I would have chosen as a single, since there are better ones on there. 6/10

On the whole, a great album, and Mika's best so far. He tries new things, but akso keeps the old, yet makes it all seem new somehow. People who thought they might loose Mika, with this album, are, I hope, changeing their minds. He's worked hard, and it shows. It should get him back on top where he belongs.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

In the November Isssue of Q Magazine, they have reviewed TOOL, but I have not seen it on their online website yet.

Jazz-Hands Free!

Meet the new- less irritating- Mika.

Poor Mika, pilloried for the worst sin you can commit in the British Isles: having too much fun in public. The primary colours, soft shoe Bojangles-on-poppers singalongs and guileless emotionalism of his debut, 2007's Life In Cartoon Motion, helped shift 5.6 million copies and made him that year's chief dispenser of good times. They also got him tagged as the most irritating man in pop. If the album had been released 30 years before it would probably have been waved through on the Guilty Pleasures exemption. Album number three arrives with Michael Penniman freshly out as gay (who knew?) and somewhat flintier of heart. Love is overrated in this goddamn world, apparently, and popularity isn't all it's cracked up to be either. The bustling, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink arrangements are still in place- think a school orchestra plus Fairlights going nuts on a parade float- but Mika's falsetto has gone the way of innocence too. Tweenees is not entirely absent ("Save me from your theories/At the very least let me cry on you", he sings wetly on Make You Happy) but there's a few good gags too, not least one about being dunked in the school toilets for being a weed. Feisty electronics from Nick "Pnau" Littlemore and bump'n'grind DJ Benny Benassi now augment much sleeker, more economical songs whose astringency sharpens their sweetness. The result is persuasive, likeable grown-up pop without the off-putting jazz-hands factor. Mika could well have earned his next 15 minutes.

Andrew Harrison

4/5 stars

Downloads: Love You When I'm Drunk, Origin Of Love and Make You Happy

In the November Isssue of Q Magazine, they have reviewed TOOL, but I have not seen it on their online website yet.

Jazz-Hands Free!

Poor Mika, pilloried for the worst sin you can commit in the British Isles: having too much fun in public. The primary colours, soft shoe Bojangles-on-poppers singalongs and guileless emotionalism of his debut, 2007's Life In Cartoon Motion, helped shift 5.6 million copies and made him that year's chief dispenser of good times. They also got him tagged as the most irritating man in pop. If the album had been released 30 years before it would probably have been waved through on the Guilty Pleasures exemption. Album number three arrives with Michael Penniman freshly out as gay (who knew?) and somewhat flintier of heart. Love is overrated in this goddamn world, apparently, and popularity isn't all it's cracked up to be either. The bustling, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink arrangements are still in place- think a school orchestra plus Fairlights going nuts on a parade float- but Mika's falsetto has gone the way of innocence too. Tweenees is not entirely absent ("Save me from your theories/At the very least let me cry on you", he sings wetly on Make You Happy) but there's a few good gags too, not least one about being dunked in the school toilets for being a weed. Feisty electronics from Nick "Pnau" Littlemore and bump'n'grind DJ Benny Benassi now augment much sleeker, more economical songs whose astringency sharpens their sweetness. The result is persuasive, likeable grown-up pop without the off-putting jazz-hands factor. Mika could well have earned his next 15 minutes.

Andrew Harrison

4/5 stars

His next 15 minutes? B*tch puuuh-leaazee

x2_ebe1b4c

Jazz-Hands Free!

Andrew Harrison

4/5 stars

But..but..but... I liked the jazz hands :tears::naughty:

However, by UK press standards (towards Mika), this can be classed as a glowing review.

Not to be like that, but you missed me :mf_rosetinted:

I have just checked and you only seem to have posted a critics review only and I didn't feel it significant enough to add... :teehee: (I had this plan to add only the long and proper critic reviews to the first post as I expect there to be many coming up, and keep all the rest on the thread. Plus, all fan reviews, of course)

I can add the Swedish one, though, not a problem.

When is your review, btw? sorry to sound demanding :teehee:

I have just checked and you only seem to have posted a critics review only and I didn't feel it significant enough to add... :teehee: (I had this plan to add only the long and proper critic reviews to the first post as I expect there to be many coming up, and keep all the rest on the thread. Plus, all fan reviews, of course)

I can add the Swedish one, though, not a problem.

When is your review, btw? sorry to sound demanding :teehee:

Ah okay I understand, no problems, for me it doesn't matter if you add it to the front page or not. I just thought you would add all the critic reviews to the front page, but now when you've explained it I totally understand your decision of not adding it :wink2:

Well, I haven't written one yet, because I still haven't heard all the songs. The album was released here yesterday so I still haven't got my copy :wink2:

General comments

After many listenings, I was finally able to put my thoughts together. In general, it's a very good album, one that I was not expecting Mika to present that early in his career. The more mature subjects are more than welcome. What I especially love is the more frequent use of the lower notes in his voice. It's so soft. (It reminds me the way Jean-Jacques Goldman made Celine Dion sang on D'eux, one of the most powerful French album of all time… And I am far from being a Celine fan). I also love the use of percussion and other instrument. I saw only one small flaw: some songs (popular, heroes) seem a bit random and not in total accordance with the general them of the album.

Origin of love

Powerful song with super-charged lyrics. Written from the heart, to be listen with the heart.

Lola

Lovely beat, good to sing along and get a crowd moving.

Stardust

No one can't resist the beat of the song. A very good song to introduce Mika to anyone who either don't know him or think they don't like his music. In that sense, it would make a good single to attract new fans.

Make you happy

I felt in love with it the first time I heard it. I love the robotic voice, think it suits the purpose. I see it as a way to play with the voice as an instrument, not a way to disguise lousy vocals. The strings in the latest version are mesmerizing.

Underwater

Another favorite that I loved at first sight. Very powerful ballad, as with origin, we can feel it comes from the heart. Beautiful piano part. I love the background music in the second part where you can almost hear the sea as if you're actually under water.

Overrated

Very closed to be my favorite! It's a very angry and desperate song, almost violent.

Kids

One of the songs where Mika's voice is almost like a whisper. Good use of percussion.

Love you when I'm drunk

It's a funny/upbeat song

Step with me

Probably my favorite. This song makes you feel good and wanna dance with your loved one. It's the ultimate happy love song and one I would have never expect Mika to write.

Popular

Again, funny and I like the interaction with Priscilla Renea, but it's probably the song I like the least.

Emily / Elle me dit

Love them both. Love the evolution in lyrics in the English version.

Heroes

Another good surprise. It's beautiful and quite powerful. Good use of the guitar.

Celebrate

The album with Pharrell is good but the acoustic version with the China Boy verse is better, especially in combination with Joy singing the Pharrell parts

French Bonus Songs

Karen, L'amour dans le mauvais temps, Soleil mal luné

Of the 3, Soleil is my favorite. Great voice/piano combo. A real clash with the album since they are all so sad. I think they reflect of Mika's dual personality. But please, find a new (and better) collaborator. In some French show, they suggested Jean-Jacques Goldman. That would be a match made in heaven!

Overall rating: 4.5/5

An endless string of putdowns yet 4/5 stars. Only in Britain. :lmfao:

I think the phrase is "grudging praise through gritted teeth" :naughty:

On a general note, can I just say thanks to everyone who's reviewed the album so far, I won't waste space quoting all the posts, but I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts :thumb_yello:

From the Blog takingovertheuniverse.net:

Album Review - Mika "The Origin Of Love"

Oh, Mika. It has been a long time since I have listened to you, my friend. My last encounter with this artist wasn't even his last album. That one snuck past my radar. Instead, "Life In Cartoon Motion" was my last run in with him. "The Origin of Love" more or less fell out of the sky for me, and I am welcoming it with open arms.

Thankfully unlike yesterday's horrid disappointment, this album actually follows suit. This album is exactly what any fan of Mika would want. It is feel good, upbeat, spunky music that is just like everything else he has produced in the past. It is everything I wanted when I first found out that this album was to exist -- which to be honest was only about a week ago.

That being said, I am not saying this is just a rehash of what he has already made. Mika has a great ability to create something that feels fresh whil still making it familiar. It's what a truly great artist can do. Tracks like "Stardust" add a fresh new appeal to an singer who has been around a few times, while still keeping his core sound, which centers around his incredibly distinctive voice.

Like any other album, it has it's ups and downs, with slower songs like "Make You Happy", which is rumored to have a different version anyway for the rest of the world, are a bit boring and skippable, while other songs such as "Underwater" take a while to build up and get truly epic.

It's when we get to songs like "Love You When Im Drunk" that the album really kicks into full gear, giving us yet another unconventional love song that were so prevelant on his debut album. His uncanny ability to deliver bad news in such a unique and positive manner make him a truly differnt songwriter.

The title track is one of the better songs on the album, making it obvious as to why it was chosen as the name of the entire work. It is a traditional sounding Mika song, keeping things upbeat. It also reveals that the true origin of love is you -- or whoever he is singing to or about. Oh well.

The album has so few cons that it's almost not worth mentioning. One thing I did encounter as a bit of a problem was the shear length of the album. The special edition runs over 20 tracks long, leading to a very long journey. That being said, unless you are a fan of songs in other languages, I wouldn't even recommend buying the special version. The only two songs not in French on the special edition tracks are a remix of "Make You Happy" (which still doesn't make it all the enjoyable, in my opinion), and a song called "Tah Dah", which I love, but countered with the additional price tag on it, I wouldn't say it's exactly worth it.

As for the US release of the album, it seems that the second disc is an acoustic album, giving us unplugged versions of the songs we've already heard, as well as a couple of remixes. No word yet on if the French versions (for those who want them) will be available in the US.

Overall, the second entry into A Week Full Of Album Awesomeness has been a much more pleasant experience than the last. With all hope, the next few days will reveal a bit more to the music world than I have been privy to in the past. Or maybe it'll just prove that all this hype was for nothing. So far, Mika has taken the lead.

I reviewed the French version of the album (because that is apparently what the UK considers "international"), so the actual US version of the album won't be out until October 16, but you can still preorder it. The price it steep, but the pay off is worth it.

http://www.takingovertheuniverse.net/2012/09/album-review-mika-origin-of-love.html

I love the entire ORIGIN OF LOVE album, and I love those priceless 'Making Of' intimate videos Mika shared on YouTube.

I found it especially interesting that in the 'making of' the song POPULAR, Mika mentioned that he met with equally brilliant composer Stephen Schwartz (who wrote Godspell, Pippin, Magic Show, Wicked - and many other wonderful musicals!!!) because I would absolutely LOVE (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) to see Mika star in a film version of Pippin!!!!!!!!!!!! Or star in his own original film musical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathouzouf, I couldn't possibly agree with your review of EMILY more: I also love both versions, and "loved the evolution in lyrics in the English version"!!!

I loved it so much that I made a little video for the English version featuring footage I found online of some amazing Chinese synchronized dancers.

UPDATE: Unfortunately YouTube won't let me put it up there with my other LovinMikaBigTime videos -- I'll try and figure out a way to post it somewhere online to share with the MFC... If anyone has any ideas as to where I can post this please let me know -- thanks!

ImFree-1-1.jpg

LovinMikaBigTime

Edited by omdeliom

I love the entire ORIGIN OF LOVE album, and I love those priceless 'Making Of' intimate videos Mika shared on YouTube.

I found it especially interesting that in the 'making of' the song POPULAR, Mika mentioned that he met with equally brilliant composer Stephen Schwartz (who wrote Godspell, Pippin, Magic Show, Wicked - and many other wonderful musicals!!!) because I would absolutely LOVE (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) to see Mika star in a film version of Pippin!!!!!!!!!!!! Or star in his own original film musical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathouzouf, I couldn't possibly agree with your review of EMILY more: I also love both versions, and "loved the evolution in lyrics in the English version"!!!

I loved it so much that I made a little video for the English version featuring footage I found online of some amazing Chinese synchronized dancers.

UPDATE: Unfortunately YouTube won't let me put it up there with my other LovinMikaBigTime videos -- I'll try and figure out a way to post it somewhere online to share with the MFC... If anyone has any ideas as to where I can post this please let me know -- thanks!

ImFree-1-1.jpg

LovinMikaBigTime

Emily is a bit like Elle me dit evil twin:naughty: Hope you'll find a way to post your video, would love to see it:wink2:

Maybe Popular Song is the song some people like the least, because it's very very similar to Wicked song. The one that Kristin Chenoweth sings :P

I guess that's why my first thought about it was "It's so Glee" :aah:

(for the ones not being fond of Broadway... this one, minute 1:12 :

)

I love this whole album.

When I heard that it was going to be simpler and less layered than the previous album, I was a little nervous.... but of course I shouldn't have been. It's amazing. It's so technically accomplished - on both of the previous albums, there were a couple of songs that were a tad lacklustre, or technically underwhelming, or generally just forgettable. But this album... is amazing. I have to admit, I'm not mad about 'Celebrate', funnily enough, considering it's single-status, but it's my least favourite song. The rest of the album though, is so adventurous, it was the PERFECT move for Mika to make - it clearly comes from such a happy place - there are other emotions in there too because other emotions are the thing by virtue of which we can even experience happiness to begin with, but its true - there's so much solidarity, bravery and adventure in all the songs, musically and lyrically.

Funnily enough, even though I agree it's conceptually simpler than TBWKTM, it's more cohesive, and in it's own way it's just as complex. I actually think it, in its entirety, is the purest representation of Mika to date.

Funnily enough, even though I agree it's conceptually simpler than TBWKTM, it's more cohesive, and in it's own way it's just as complex. I actually think it, in its entirety, is the purest representation of Mika to date.

:thumb_yello:

I like your review. It's good to see you back :boing:

I exactly remember the moment I first heard the 2nd album TBWNTM. It was simply like a crazy crush. I didn't even know the singer, where he's from how old he is...nothing. But First I listened the entire tracks of the album, I was sure that it would be impossible to get away from this magical guy. I was a bit like a idiot...listening the whole album again and tremble... again ..and tremble again.... :naughty: I even didn't try to find who that singer is, just let myself be soaked up within each songs...simply magical moment.

But at that moment I could find one week-point. I couldn't sure which track would be the 1st single of that album..! Whenever listen to an artist's album, it's usually not that hard to find the title track...cuz except first few songs others are usually just crap. But TBWKTM, it was impossible to do that. I loved all songs, but there was no title track that would represent the entire masterpiece album. And sadly, my perspective was right.. Any single song of TBWNTM did better than the album itself.

Yes I always thought that is MIKA's one weekest point he should get over to be more than this. And I prayed he would make it out with this 3rd album. The 2nd Gracekelly? No, I won't say that. Gracekelly is in my least favorite list.

Just one 'commercially delicious' song is OK to be a Chart No.1 Popstar. But just 1 step left from that position for Mika, who can put every audience fall on their knees at the venue. It simply hurts. Not far from that, but lacks just 1 step again. He has amazing voice than any other popstars, he can make beautiful songs. Should I say that, gotta wait till 4th album or EP for that now? In Conclusion, I couldn't find any commercially hit-able songs in this album too, as I couldn't find any in TBWKTM. A bit cruel, but .... yeah I have to be honest here.

I had a hope on 'Origin of Love' (Forget Celebrate...it's worst choice ever :( )

When I saw that song played live on youtube, I felt that it could be 'the one' of this album. The recording sound was not good but it was easy to find that the song is like a rough diamond ready to be polished. The melody was well organized, up-down, songline, Rhyme, code... every part of the song said like 'Listen! I Am Da Title Track of Mika's 3rd album!'. Prayed for the song, to be end up with best diamond I've ever seen. My hope was on that.

But I was so so sooo disappointed when heard the song played on radio before Heaven gig. it was more like a disaster. Someone ruined my fave diamond. Bit surprised to realize that one diamond song could ruined by bad sound design & mixing itself. Someone said that it's not the final result. I felt kind of relief. And waited again.

The final result is, in short it's not done like as I expected. Sad. My fave rough diamond had become a boring stone, with ill-suited music-video. It doesn't have any energy I found on the live performance. Missing. Still can't believe how this song could be ended up like this, Shocked, I left MFC and Mika world for past few weeks. This is not the first time the songs shine in live performance became boring and dead like this. Who's fault is this? why many of Mika's songs lacks energy whenever recorded on CD?

The Origin of Love, I love this album. With Mika's magical voice, any dull song has soul for my heart..especially sung in live. I love this album because Mika sung and made this. But that's all.. I have a feeling that Mika got lost somewhere between tons of collaborations. For me each songs are like all different scattered stones in plate. Maybe I need more time to find 'one soul' that rules the entire album.

This is end of my review of 'TOOL', the album itself. Hope I could have chance to review single songs... (Promise I'll be more nice to each songs...) soon :)

PS : Heard that Underwater would take the baton of next TOOL race. I'd like to say 'Please No'. If need something for play on radio, I think Stardust could be better choice... which is not my fave, but it sounds something nice for radio stations...

Edited by Yuna

So I've only listened to the songs once, and I've wrote about them in the order I listened to them.

Make You Happy - Miami edit

I didn't really like make you happy before, but this makes my heart melt. I'm in love, the song is so beautiful and I like it much better with the strings and less of the electro.

Origin Of Love

I really like the electronic voice Mika got on this song, it works well with the music. But after 3 minutes I'm bored I want to listen to some of the other songs on the album. The long 'you're the origin of looooove' never seems to end and Mika just repeat the same things over and over.

Favourite parts of the song is 'you're the origin of love, love, love, love', a contrast to the long 'looooove'. Would actually likeed him to change the refrain to that. And the end is just fabulous when Mika sings thank god that you find me. Ends the song in a very smart and lovely way.

Emily

Really think this is as good as EMD, and I love EMD. This one is even better in some aspects, the only thing I don't like is the way Mika sings dance, the french pronunciations sounds so much better. But I love the shout up part, it's just brilliant and how Mika sings Emily in the background! And like someone said before it's interesting to hear the mum's side of the situation, I like that he didn't just translate the song to english, instead he gave the lyrics a new meaning and in that way created a different song.

Lola

I really like the live version, and the snippet I've heard of the song was okay. I think this is a really good and catchy song one of Mika's better, but the electro voice doesn't fit at all, would have sounded much better if it was just Mika's natural voice.

Underwater

Lovely song, but the first 2/3 of the song sounds like a really bad recording and I'm a bit ashamed of Mika, I know he can do better, and the fact that I sit and listen to the song and think: If I find Mika's breathing annoying, what will everyone else think when they hear it on the radio. Will they even play recordings that sounds like this?

But the last 1/3 is really good and I forget that I was annoyed by Mika's breathing a moment ago. Still think he could have skipped the electro voice in the end though.

Stardust

If it's any song I love this is the one! Made me smile from the first word he sung and I didn't stop smiling until the song was over. Really good song! Doesn't really sound like a Mika song, but would be a really good single. Better than underwater in my opinion.

Kids

Is it supposed to sound like this? I can't manage to listen more than 20 seconds because the noise in the background keeps distracting me. Sounds like the song is freezing every second, had to double check with Spotify to see if it was something wrong with my cd. But no it wasn't...

Why the noise Mika? :tears: The song is beautiful why do you want to destroy it?

Step with me

Nah, don't know what to say. It find it very sweet and a bit cheesy. It's not good not bad, maybe I'll just have to listen to it more.

Popular song

First I thought the song would disappoint me when I heard the intro. I don't like the intro at all. But I was wrong. This song really makes me happy, specially the refrain and it really makes you want to sing along. And I find Mika's dorky rap really cute.

Love you when I'm drunk

This really doesn't sound like Mika at all, and I have a feeling that I've heard the song before. But that doesn't stop me from loving the refrain and the verse. I really like this song a lot, and it's so easy to sing along.

Heroes

If the other songs was empty and shallow to me, this song certainly am not. It touches me deep in side and some parts of me just want to cry. I can't explain how beautiful I think this song is. It beats the rest multiple times, probably one of the best Mika songs I've ever heard.

Overrated

The one I didn't want to listen to because I find the demo so beautiful and I don't want to listen to the song and find it ruined.

It's definitely not the same song, and it's not at all what I expected. The only thing left that I recognize is the refrain and it still touches me deep in side, don't really think it fits that good though. The refrain and the verse sounds like to different songs. But I still like the song, and who ever said Heroes are too dark for the album. Have they listen to Overrated?

So wat to say about the album? One rule, never ever listen to the live versions of the songs before you listen to the recorded versions, you'll be disappointed. And don't read what other people has to say about the album.

The album is not at all what I expected, not at all, and that ruined a part of the listening experience, because every time you listened to a song you got surprised and had to kind of change the way you was listening.

But I really like the album, even though it sound very different from TBWKTM and LICM. And I'm happy it does, because I don't want a LICM or TBWKTM 2. I just think that Mika sometime overwork his songs and uses to many effects. The songs are the most beautiful when his voice is in centrum, and not too many things is going on at the same time.

In one way I get why this album over all get bad swedish reviews. I don't think it fits the swedish market. It's not mainstream enough to match the american artists, but on the other hand it contains too much effects, to many things are happening at the same time, to get in the typical swedish song pigeon-hole. If you ever watched a swedish drama, that's how the typical swedish songs sound like and tool is not even close to that.

But this is just the first listening, I really hope my views and thoughts about some of the songs will change to the better. And I'm looking forward to listen to the album over and over again and then write a proper review.

So wat to say about the album? One rule, never ever listen to the live versions of the songs before you listen to the recorded versions, you'll be disappointed. And don't read what other people has to say about the album.

The album is not at all what I expected, not at all, and that ruined a part of the listening experience, because every time you listened to a song you got surprised and had to kind of change the way you was listening.

But I really like the album, even though it sound very different from TBWKTM and LICM. And I'm happy it does, because I don't want a LICM or TBWKTM 2. I just think that Mika sometime overwork his songs and uses to many effects. The songs are the most beautiful when his voice is in centrum, and not too many things is going on at the same time.

In one way I get why this album over all get bad swedish reviews. I don't think it fits the swedish market. It's not mainstream enough to match the american artists, but on the other hand it contains too much effects, to many things are happening at the same time, to get in the typical swedish song pigeon-hole. If you ever watched a swedish drama, that's how the typical swedish songs sound like and tool is not even close to that.

But this is just the first listening, I really hope my views and thoughts about some of the songs will change to the better. And I'm looking forward to listen to the album over and over again and then write a proper review.

You got the point.... yeah..

I listened live ver of TOOL too much. that made me be disappointed about the recorded one... i confess..

But...I love recorded ver of 'Lola' more...

Edited by Yuna