MIKA on "SORRISI"

esperia75

(please note:

The way I've found this article is surreal. But you've only to know that Mika is a magic that appears in my days in the right moment and in the right place, everytime I need to smile to life :) Please forgive my translation:blush-anim-cl: )

on the cover:

MIKA PHENOMENON

All the secrets about the singer nobody wanted

The pic's subtitle in the article:

From Canada to Australia, everyone is going crazy for Mika

Mika(23 years old) sold 3,2 millions of copies of the single"Grace Kelly": it's the fourth best single sold in the World in the 2006. It has been in the first places in the hits of Gb, Italy,Canada, Australia, Germany and The Netherlands

The article:

From chewing gum jingle to the hit "grace Kelly"

THE INCREDIBLE STORY OF MIKA, THE SUPERSTAR WHO NOBODY WANTED

by A. Adami, P. Grugni

Speaking about Mika, the newest international musical phenomenon, we can start from the fact that "Relax(take it easy)", last single, in realty is not a new song. In fact it's the first song released, in October, 2006, but it passed unobserved.

But today is again on, thanks to the sensational success of "Grace Kelly", hit on first place in GB as well as in Italy.

But we have to remember in what way Mika has arrived to the popularity.

24 years next August, 18, Michael Holbrook Penniman, alias Mika, was born in Beirut from lebanese mother and american father. Because of the civil war, he moved to Paris when he was one year old and, after, he established in London in few years.

Surpassed dyslexia problems, Mika dedicated his life to his real passion, the music, attempted with very various things: singing lessons with russian teacher, recordings for London Royal Opera House(when he was 11, he played Richard Strauss), jingle for a chewing gum spot, until background music for waiting time of a airplane company call center. Experiences and influences that flowed together into his debut album, "Life in Cartoon Motion" (among other things, the cover of the album was drawn by his sister Jasmine).

An album ispired and madly heterogeneous, where you can see Mika jumping with an astonishing naturalness from a musical genre to another, Pop, disco music, funk, everything mixed perfectly, and this provided him some flattering comparisons: from Freddy Mercury to the Bee Gees, from Elton John to Prince, from George Michael, to Beck. But these comparisons, due to his "falsetto" singing but also for his love for parody and melodramatic pop, have no effect on him. After all, he has been indifferent to discography's advices, who rejected his songs. Mika chose to follow his instinct, and, considering results, he was really in right. "I wrote pop songs out of every scheme, and I sent them to pop music producers that was really conformist. Soon I realized that I was out of the market. I was going to drop, I could stand no more to collect refusals. But then, fortunately, everything went for the right side".

And we all Italians know this: last April, for his concert in Milan, the event promoters was forced to change location at the last moment to satisfy hundreds of fans with no ticket.

(translation by A.C.75)

post-744-142983663105_thumb.jpg

post-744-142983663086_thumb.jpg

post-744-142983663109_thumb.jpg

post-744-142983663112_thumb.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am curious now as to how you found the article. Thanks for posting - nice pictures as well:wub2:

Well, my last week end in Tuscany has been with something magic for the whole time.

Last saturday I was in the smallest theatre of the World(99 sits), over Tuscany hills, for a concert of my fav (and for now almost unknown) band, The Actias Luna. You have to imagine a sunset over green hills, only green, blue, and medieval little houses hidden in the green. And there, harp, guitars, violin, viola, piano and drums were the "only" sound, both with the wind, the river flowing and the bird singing...

...But i have had to return to reality, on Monday. And in the Florence train station, lonely and sad (i have to leave there my boyf everytime, he's from tuscany), i sat near a metro paper dispencer waiting for an hour my train to Naples. And then, suddenly, bar radio broadcasts "Relax".

So I smiled, and thought it was better i read something. Then I took one free metro magazine...but, over there, someone has left this old "Sorrisi", from the last week ("Sorrisi and Canzoni" [smiles and Songs] is an important weekly magazine about TV programs, and it published also something about cinema, music and people). So, I took a look to it. And, while I was listening "Relax"...I had a copy of a magazine in my hand with Mika on it :biggrin2:

Strange things happen in the world :)

So my day turned to smile. At midday I was in Naples, and went to work smiling again and singing "relax":biggrin2:

That's all!

Well, my last week end in Tuscany has been with something magic for the whole time.

Last saturday I was in the smallest theatre of the World(99 sits), over Tuscany hills, for a concert of my fav (and for now almost unknown) band, The Actias Luna. You have to imagine a sunset over green hills, only green, blue, and medieval little houses hidden in the green. And there, harp, guitars, violin, viola, piano and drums were the "only" sound, both with the wind, the river flowing and the bird singing...

...But i have had to return to reality, on Monday. And in the Florence train station, lonely and sad (i have to leave there my boyf everytime, he's from tuscany), i sat near a metro paper dispencer waiting for an hour my train to Naples. And then, suddenly, bar radio broadcasts "Relax".

So I smiled, and thought it was better i read something. Then I took one free metro magazine...but, over there, someone has left this old "Sorrisi", from the last week ("Sorrisi and Canzoni" [smiles and Songs] is an important weekly magazine about TV programs, and it published also something about cinema, music and people). So, I took a look to it. And, while I was listening "Relax"...I had a copy of a magazine in my hand with Mika on it :biggrin2:

So my day turned to smile. At midday I was in Naples, and went to work smiling again and singing "relax":biggrin2:

That's all!

I love days like that, filled with Mika incidents.

will this still be out during the weekend? cos my dad is going to italy.. and he NEEDS to buy me this!!

i think your father could find it...cos the mag comes out on monday...if they still have a copy, then you should find it!

update:

just asked the newsagent. apparently new issue was out today, so the old issue feat. mika's just been returned to distributor. :thumbdown: ain't I lucky..? :boxed:

the newsagent said he'll try and ask if I can order the back issue.

will get back to you over this. if I get my copy, you'll def. get the scans. :thumb_yello: even if esperia already posted some. :wink2:

That's all!

wow that really IS surreal! very romantic! and yes mika has this habit to always put a smile on our face :D