Somerset House review- Daily mail

I dont think this is very nice.

Somerset Hourse has played host to many things in its time, from ice rinks to the Inland Revenue, but perhaps not to anything wuite like this. Mika ahs turned the stately old courtyard into a children's party.

His sister and set designer, Yasmine, says he started planning his rise to stardom when he was seven; surveying this scene, you'd think he still was.

There are fans in fancy dress, lollipop girls in Judy Garland outfits, and balloons in funny shapes, including a red octopus, bobbing above the crowd, which keeps appearing on the video screens.

The man himself comes on sporting a Venitian- style gold mask. It doesn't do a great job of disguising him, thrawted by his fluffy hair, lanky frame, and floudering gait. He settles for wearing a white t-shirt, like a camped up Johnny Borrell.

Mika is a shameless magpie. His dancers in animmal costumes are borrowed from the Flaming Lips, his bouncy piano draws on the Scissor Sisters, and the whole package, from the fluting voice to the rampant flamboyance, is deeply indebted to Freddie Mercury.

But Mika does have talents of his own. He has the energy of a true frontman, spending half the show pogoing. He has a chutzpah that has carried him from working here as a waiter two years ago to selling the place out now. And he is a decent singles act.

The mega hit Grace Kelly, woth its surging momentum and smart lyrics, is much his best song, but the dance -pop ssingalongs Rel;ax (take it easy) and Love Today are good too, and he uses them strategicallym, to get the party started and to raise the temperature later. Both are sung falsetto, which seems not so much a variation as Mika's natural habitat.

What he doesn;'t have is much self- awareness. He is too busy playing to the gallery to noticr that his piano ballads are porridge . And he plays the piaano himself, which takes out his biggest asset- his Tiggerish elasticity.

The show sags in the middle and doesn't improve when he covers Sweet Dreams (are made of these) getting histionic where Annie Lennox was lethally cool. A storming finlae sneds the crowd home happy, but it has been a so-so evening.

i had to type this up myself --so sorry for any spelling mistakes !

Looking back- its a so-so review, whaat do u think ?

xxx

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, it could always be better, but i guess you're right, it's a so-so review.

I just think that the media and all that can't handle someone so different from all the other artists being in the spotlight. But that's only my thought. There was about time for someone to come and give the music industry a little sparkle!

But as long as his fans are happy and loving what he's doing i think that's what matters and makes him happy. I wouldn't wanna change a thing about him and i'm very excited to see his colorful, energic show in November. :thumb_yello:

Hehe 1 u r both right !

These people cant take new energy and people who are different and who ACTUALLY HAVE TALENT !

hE plays the piano himself on stage, he has so much talent, and he is a nice person , these people are mad, he should NEVER change !!

xxx:biggrin2:

Haha, you can tell that the author of this review really enjoys saying something mean. :sneaky2: He has called a crap almost everything that makes Mika unique and different from other stars, shame on him:thumbdown: but oh, well, it's his job. Mika is definelety much more talented than this article suggests.

I'm happy that Mika is the way he is. Can't wait to go to his gig.:blush-anim-cl:

Guest Sofia
A crappy review:thumbdown: But ofcourse, everyone against Mika is crappy in my opinion:roftl:

I tottaly agree..hehe...

The media really wont and might never get him ... I look to Queen , the media hated them , when they were onto something and the media wanted a piece of them Freddie M wouldnt even talk to them!!!

U2 got slated by NME , 20 years later they issues a magazine and an apology , let them do it , we will all sit back and laugh :biggrin2:

Theres many examples of the media doing this .. why .. cause they cant see what we can :thumb_yello:

The media really wont and might never get him ... I look to Queen , the media hated them , when they were onto something and the media wanted a piece of them Freddie M wouldnt even talk to them!!!

U2 got slated by NME , 20 years later they issues a magazine and an apology , let them do it , we will all sit back and laugh :biggrin2:

Theres many examples of the media doing this .. why .. cause they cant see what we can :thumb_yello:

good point :thumb_yello:

the way he's described does upset me a little though!

i was there that evening and there was nothing 'so so' about it, it was the BEST night of my life :biggrin2: lol

This review is a bit of nonsense.

First off, I really don't get why everyone seems to mock the "children's party" atmosphere. It's damn brilliant! I want to ask my friends whether they can figure out what's so objectionable about it, but then I think I wouldn't associate with anyone who didn't think that kind of thing was pure greatness. (We need more balloons everywhere.)

Then the bit about the "piano ballads" being "porridge." You know, I just skimmed by this at first, because a lot of people don't like ballads. I mean, ballads are usually perceived as hokey and melodramatic and all that--and in general I'm not much of a fan of them either. So sure, I can understand that view.

But... Mika doesn't actually sing most of his ballads at the piano. His most ballad-y songs are "Any Other World," "Erase" and "Happy Ending," and when he sings those, he sings them at the mic. (Except "Erase," which he doesn't sing at all, sadly.)

At the piano, he sings "Billy Brown," which is hardly a ballad... and "Stuck in the Middle," which is one his best songs, period, and also not a ballad whatsoever... and "My Interpretation," which I guess could be considered a ballad at a stretch... but hardly. And is awesome.

So I don't even know what the reviewer is talking about.

--Jack

A crappy review:thumbdown: But ofcourse, everyone against Mika is crappy in my opinion:roftl:

How VERY DARE they...of course they are pfft lets pin them down and give them a waxing using sticky lollipops...that will teach them, babs and Jemma and yup and the crew know all about how this works pfft :wink2:

Yeah, I can see why everybody is so opposed to the "children's party" scenario - it's far more appealing to be engulfed in the "bang bang you're dead" turf of the crap - er, rap world.... :boxed:

OMM I HATE rap with the vengeance of 30 zillion scarab Beatles

This review is a bit of nonsense.

First off, I really don't get why everyone seems to mock the "children's party" atmosphere. It's damn brilliant! I want to ask my friends whether they can figure out what's so objectionable about it, but then I think I wouldn't associate with anyone who didn't think that kind of thing was pure greatness. (We need more balloons everywhere.)

Then the bit about the "piano ballads" being "porridge." You know, I just skimmed by this at first, because a lot of people don't like ballads. I mean, ballads are usually perceived as hokey and melodramatic and all that--and in general I'm not much of a fan of them either. So sure, I can understand that view.

But... Mika doesn't actually sing most of his ballads at the piano. His most ballad-y songs are "Any Other World," "Erase" and "Happy Ending," and when he sings those, he sings them at the mic. (Except "Erase," which he doesn't sing at all, sadly.)

At the piano, he sings "Billy Brown," which is hardly a ballad... and "Stuck in the Middle," which is one his best songs, period, and also not a ballad whatsoever... and "My Interpretation," which I guess could be considered a ballad at a stretch... but hardly. And is awesome.

--Jack

in particular Jack..NEITHER DID HE THE TW#t as Mr W would say lmao

How VERY DARE they...of course they are pfft lets pin them down and give them a waxing using sticky lollipops...that will teach them, babs and Jemma and yup and the crew know all about how this works pfft :wink2:

ohhh yes!!!

we know exactly how that works!!:shocked::boxed:

I know that in the past Mika has said that he looks on his shows as the 8th birthday party he never had, well that's how I saw Somerset House, the 8th birthday party I never had, my mum was never big on birthday parties.

I have never had the bottle to dress up in fancy dress, yet on Tuesday I found myself walking through London dressed as a penguin.

The concert to me was the thing I felt I had missed out on as a kid colour and fun. Living on the shadow of my sisters and brother I never really got to do much or go anywhere, so this more than made up for it.

So thanks Mika for giving me the thing I missed most as a child, a chance to be a REAL child.

And as far as this review goes, the writer needs to get a life and not be afraid of their inner child, let it out, it might make you feel better.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a Mail reader so i can't comment on there usual review style but this is so negative and totally biased!

A review should be objective, of course it's going to contain the writer's opinion to some degree but this is just pure garbage.

Mika has an amazing talent, whether you agree with his presentation is irrelivent!

*is annoyed beyond reason*

"The show sags in the middle and doesn't improve when he covers Sweet Dreams (are made of these)..."

Okay, that reporter obviously wasn't there. :boxed::thumbdown:

Maybe he/she fainted in the middle and had to come up with a story? :naughty: Poor thing!