A (bad) review of the DVD

IngievV

DVD review: Mika - Live In Cartoon Motion (Casablanca/Universal)

Glenn Meads

14/11/2007

MIKA has the second biggest selling album of the year so far with Life In Cartoon Motion. The flamboyant one is about to tour the UK, so what better time to have a look at his live antics on DVD.

It's an odd experience as you do not really know whether you are supposed to be thinking "how retro" as he resembles Leo Sayer in terms of style, or smiling in an ironic way as he sings the audience favourite 'Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)'.

Billy Brown sounds like a track that Freddie Mercury would have saved one of his solo albums.

The problem with much of Mika's show on this DVD filmed in Paris is the lack of humour.

This artiste appeals to a similar fan base to that of Scissor Sisters but their knowing camp wit keeps you smiling even through their lame tracks.

But here, Mika forgets to laugh at himself; the result being a really pompous cover of Eurythmics' 'Sweet Dreams', which will give you nightmares.

Latest single 'Happy Ending' should be cracking live as it's a great epic narrative of a track. But Mika's voice wavers leaving you feeling a bit short changed.

The sublime 'Grace Kelly' sees curly bouncing back with relish but again, the voice is not as strong as you would like.

Nice record, shame about the live show!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainment/music/s/1024294_dvd_review_mika__live_in_cartoon_motion_casablancauniversal_

I só do not agree. The DVD is amazing. Glenn, put your goddamn glasses on:sneaky2:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't like his music, fair enough, but how can they say his voice is not strong? Whatever way you look at it, the boy can sing.

Were they even watching the same dvd as we all have been watching? The mind boggles...

This is my local paper, the one I read every day, so I am doubly not pleased :sneaky2:

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but it seems to me this reviewer just doesn't get, has never got and will never get Mika, and as such, he's hardly even bothered to be balanced or look for the good points.

And Lord help me but I swear if I see one more effing reference to Leo Sayer I will

:blowup:

If they don't like his music, fair enough, but how can they say his voice is not strong? Whatever way you look at it, the boy can sing.

Were they even watching the same dvd as we all have been watching? The mind boggles...

Well said!:thumb_yello: I will never understand how can someone say that Mika can't sing? :blink:

:s from what i heard though the gig(s) on the DVD was around the time he was a bit ill...so please ppl give him a break because for being ill he sounded mighty damn fine! :sneaky2:

but everyone else thinks it's a great DVD!

I KNOWWW, I should watch it first but...

....hahah, how hilarious! :lmfao:

That cannot be. Seriously. It's an bunch of opinions, not facts :wink2:

Never in my life will I believe that any of his live shows can possibly fall short of the CD (which is already a revelation). Never.

But THANKS Ingie, for posting :flowers2:

This is my favourite bit:

But here, Mika forgets to laugh at himself; the result being a really pompous cover of Eurythmics' 'Sweet Dreams', which will give you nightmares.

:mf_rosetinted:

:lmao:

hes just jelous cuz he cant sing or perform and the bes he could do is proberly do a silly little dance (something that an ant or woodlouse could do) and the only song he could sing in tune was frere jaques, but pronounce the french wrong. and all his fans would boo and hiss at him and he would run off to his little cave house and sit down on a stone and try and do better. but none as better as mika himself. and glenns real name is Ugg the caveman who rites bad reviews.

:mf_rosetinted: :mf_rosetinted: :mf_rosetinted:

mika, you are way better than the review....dopnt ever listen to Ugg:mf_rosetinted:

This is my local paper, the one I read every day, so I am doubly not pleased :sneaky2:

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but it seems to me this reviewer just doesn't get, has never got and will never get Mika, and as such, he's hardly even bothered to be balanced or look for the good points.

And Lord help me but I swear if I see one more effing reference to Leo Sayer I will

:blowup:

If it was my local paper, I would write such a letter to this stupid guy! What a cheek! I thought the documentary was great and the concert exciting! What's wrong with him? It's just the usual thing. Mika is too unusual and unique. He makes twits like this guy feel nervous. The guy should get over himself. I'm sure there are many great reviews of the DVD. What do critics know anyway, and who listens to them?

Love today, from Marilyn

If it was my local paper, I would write such a letter to this stupid guy! What a cheek! I thought the documentary was great and the concert exciting! What's wrong with him? It's just the usual thing. Mika is too unusual and unique. He makes twits like this guy feel nervous. The guy should get over himself. I'm sure there are many great reviews of the DVD. What do critics know anyway, and who listens to them?

Love today, from Marilyn

Marilyn you are local to me, do you not read the MEN too? We cannot have this reviewer sullying the good name of Manchester :naughty:

Well tomorrow when I have more time I will post a comment on the article, on the website.

:sneaky2:

Or maybe actually I should wait until I've seen the dvd...but I've seen the youtube footage and it isn't going to be any different is it??

Maybe his speakers were broken....? O.O

I suppose he's never listened to the real thing... It has to mind blowing if the DVD's anything like a live concert (of course it can't be exactly alike) but HELLLO I LOVE LISTENING TO MIKA LIVE, even if it's just on youtube, it soooooo much better than the CD (and that's bloody brilliant!:punk: )

So I conclude.... He is either deaf or his speakers are kaputt! :mf_rosetinted: