Sorry for the late reply... but am catching up on all the old messages..

Although “Billy Brown” should be the cliché favorite song for my gay friends…

but it is actually "Stuck in the Middle" that became their national gay anthem.. and it actually helped one of my best friends come out to his family at the age of 33

I guess Stuck in The Middle can be seen as a song about homosexuality and the difficulty of being stuck in between who you are and who society says you shoulkd be. A lot of Mika songs point towards homosexuality, SITM is one of them

I guess Stuck in The Middle can be seen as a song about homosexuality and the difficulty of being stuck in between who you are and who society says you shoulkd be. A lot of Mika songs point towards homosexuality, SITM is one of them

:punk: :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk:

glad someone made the effort to open this interesting discussion...

there is no real formula in being gay.. just like straight, people come in different shapes, sizes and personalities... but one thing is for sure, as a woman the most pure frienships i have is with my gay friends... it's simply based on pure friendship and nothing else...

oh well, yes, they do also understand what women go through... the bonding factor is really high...

i guess in a way that's why i like mika.. it's based on pure appreciation to his art.. and nothing else (although he is cute, but his music is the most dominant factor)... and i really don't care what he does in his spare time...

Ahlaan Bracha, you are from Dubai, correct? I`m curious how it is to be gay in your country? You write you have gay friends, you surelly share their experience.

I thought that too... :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk:

I live in Dubai.. am not from Dubai

It's a very modern city.. as long as it is not done "in your face".. to avoid confrontation

times are changing.. and hopefully it will change even further.. I guess it is the same in many places around the world

the biggest problem is "coming out".. friends are very accepting.. night life is not as hard core as Europe... but within groups of friends it is such a natural and normal thing..

I work in advertising.. and a big number of designers/creatives are gay.. so even my work environment is very "gay friendly"

but it is still seen as something you do not share with family as it might "disappoint" them.. and family means a lot in this part of the globe

that's why I salute all my friends that were able to come out.. because I know how hard that decision was.. and i also respect those who refuse to discuss it publicly .. because it is after all a very personal decision

that's why i have a lot of respect to Mika's music.. it is so relevant to me and to a lot of people I love and care about..

I agree very much on the acceptance side and the part about mika music.

oen of the reason why sitm is my fave song: acceptance and esp. self acceptance. :thumb_yello:

matt, being mysterious..? is that you on the avie or it isn't? :biggrin2:

matt, you did look like.. yourself in bologna! I mean generally, but that's where I met ya. :biggrin2: I didn't exoect ya so tall, to be honest. you and mr M would make a cute couple :biggrin2:

but the avie does look a little different than you.. though o.c. if ya say it's you, I do believe ya. you are such a poser.. :roftl:

I guess Mika likes to keep his music and lyrics open to personal interpretations.. "Stuck in the middle" is clearly to me about someone coming out to his mother.. and fighting to get recognized for who he is among people he cares about.. in my eyes there is no doubt there is a strong gay theme

This is my interpretation and I doooooon't... don't make sense...

I live in Dubai.. am not from Dubai

It's a very modern city.. as long as it is not done "in your face".. to avoid confrontation

times are changing.. and hopefully it will change even further.. I guess it is the same in many places around the world

the biggest problem is "coming out".. friends are very accepting.. night life is not as hard core as Europe... but within groups of friends it is such a natural and normal thing..

I work in advertising.. and a big number of designers/creatives are gay.. so even my work environment is very "gay friendly"

but it is still seen as something you do not share with family as it might "disappoint" them.. and family means a lot in this part of the globe

that's why I salute all my friends that were able to come out.. because I know how hard that decision was.. and i also respect those who refuse to discuss it publicly .. because it is after all a very personal decision

that's why i have a lot of respect to Mika's music.. it is so relevant to me and to a lot of people I love and care about..

I see, so where are you from originally, I`m just curious..

How you describe the situation in Dubai resembles a lot the situation in the countries where I live most of my life, that is Slovakia (with all its bloody ****ty history of Eastern Europe) and Israel (with all its even bloodier and ****tier history in Middle East). Most of the evil here is done by the influence of the right wing/nationalistic/fanatically religious "traditions".

*turnes away and vomits*

I already made an arse of myself once... there's not going to be a next time! :°D Next time he's signing autographs, I will stay far and away watching him from a distance... :wub2:

oh, stop being dramatic! :bleh: you didn't! :wink2:

great, you have never talked to mr M..? :blink: with all the gigs you went to? :shocked:

...incredible, isn't it?:bleh: you truly can say I go giggin' only for listening Mika's music :naughty: The fact is that I don't like being fan{atic} of nobody..or guess I'm a little bit shy:roftl:

and overall..I don't speak english so there's nothing I could say:boxed:

...incredible, isn't it?:bleh: you truly can say I go giggin' only for listening Mika's music :naughty: The fact is that I don't like being fan{atic} of nobody..or guess I'm a little bit shy:roftl:

and overall..I don't speak english so there's nothing I could say:boxed:

oh, it's ok. it was maybe a stupid question. :bleh: it was just cause you went to so many gigs! esperia too i think didn't talk to him yet, but I may as well be wrong.. :blink:

i know this might sound cheesy.. but I do consider myself as a citizen of this world.. don't have a specific country that I call home.. lived in many different places (a true global citizen).. and i feel i belong where my true friends are

During Mika's concert in Dubai, there were at least 10,000 people (it was a festival).. he was surprised by how popular he is as he told the crowd, his mother asked him not to point the microphone to the audience in case we didn't know the words.. he was pleased by the crowd's reaction and his popularity in Dubai

oh cute story. :biggrin2: how do you know it? did he tell ya, or did ya hear his mum saying it after gig..? just curious :bleh:

sounds like there is a funny story there...

do tell, do tell.. what happened?

:)

lol

he had been signing autographs outside the venue in bologna for over half an hour already, so I decided to queue and get an autograph too...

As the girl in front of me was getting her autograph, the security guys told each other "this was the last one!" and I thought: "yay, just my luck!"...

but then Mr. M looked at me and told the bodyguards to let me (and the few people behind me) thru.

I had planned with avoca to ask him something like "Would you like to marry me? How about a civil partnership?" but as I was right in front of him I was totally starstruck... I couldn't look into his eyes while I muttered: "great show tonight, huh?" and gave him my ticket which he signed while saying "thank you". He gave me back the ticket and I thanked him in return (without raising up my eyes that is) and walked away...

then I had the brilliant idea to turn back to him and he looked at me again while he was signing the next girl's autograph... so I went "Hello gorgeous!" and run to avoca laughing! :roftl: