Mika: I'd like to get Best Male

dcdeb

From today's SUN:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/article822853.ece

SOME serious colour has been injected into pop music lately.

And it’s flamboyant singer MIKA who has been the catalyst for this new psychedelic music world.

It’s just over a year since he arrived on the music scene and he’s already making his name across the globe.

But despite a meteoric rise to fame, Mika insists his life isn’t perfect, partly because fame doesn’t come with a hangover-free card.

He says: “Perfect life? Not in the slightest. Well, I’m very lucky, but it’s not perfect. When I wake up I’m not running around like I’m in The Sound of Music.

“I wake up thinking, ‘I shouldn’t have had that fifth beer’. And that’s what sticks in your mind, not ‘I’ve been nominated for four Brits’.”

At the beginning of 2007, the curly-haired singer was barely heard of, but he finished the year as one of Europe’s biggest pop stars with his album Life In Cartoon Motion selling four million copies in just ten months.

He topped the charts in ten countries and was propelled in part by No1 Grace Kelly, which spent six months on the UK charts alone.

For Mika, making music isn’t just a profession, it’s a necessary, cathartic exercise. He said: “I already started my next album a while ago. It’s like doing plumbing, you’ve just got to do it.

“It helps me process things and makes me less neurotic and more of a bearable person to be with.

“I don’t write that many notes, but I collect visual images so if you look in my song book it’s more drawings and bits cut out of newspapers. And then ideas come from them.”

Sounds like an interesting way to work, but it can’t lend itself easily to collaborations.

That’s fine because Mika thinks collaborations are weird anyway.

He says: “Recording wise, I would probably not collaborate. I like the idea of doing it on your own, especially when you’ve got where you are by doing what you’re doing.

He’s been nominated in four categories: Best Male, Best Album, Breakthrough and Best Single.

On hearing the list of nominations he’s incredulous: “I know, isn’t that ridiculous? It’s scary.

“Quite frankly I’d love to win one. I’d like to get British Male but the competition is fierce.”

The competition isn’t any easier in the other categories he’s nominated in, either. Mika will take on the almighty TAKE THAT for the best album and single awards.

“Take That are a British institution now,” Mika says.

This year’s Brits nominations clearly reflect that pop is back.

But Mika reckons it was after Take That’s chart reign last decade that pop went bad.

He says: “I think pop became a very dirty word after the 1990s.

“But I didn’t care. From the beginning I was unashamedly saying that I make pop music.

“I was always like, ‘I make pop music and there’s nothing wrong with that’.

“Take That are one of the few that stayed around.

“I think that a lot of the record company-driven music is what gave pop a bad name in the Nineties.”

While he didn’t win a Grammy, he could clean up tonight.

He will also be keeping his fingers crossed for his mates, Muse.

He says: “I really hope that they win because they really deserve it.”

If he does go home with some awards under his belt, Mika says he will drink a few pints because he “likes beer a lot” and he’d like to have a party in his local pub.

But he adds: “They won’t let me because they say it will be too late and upset the neighbours.”

JENNA GOOD

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"When I wake up I’m not running around like I’m in The Sound of Music. I wake up thinking, ‘I shouldn’t have had that fifth beer’. And that’s what sticks in your mind, not ‘I’ve been nominated for four Brits’.”

If he does go home with some awards under his belt, Mika says he will drink a few pints because he “likes beer a lot” and he’d like to have a party in his local pub. But he adds: “They won’t let me because they say it will be too late and upset the neighbours.”

ROFL! Oh, Mika. If you like beer so much, you should have spent more time in Canada. :roftl:

I'm so on the edge of my seat about the Brits. I hope he sweeps 'em.

Thank you for posting this. :wub2:

ROFL! Oh, Mika. If you like beer so much, you should have spent more time in Canada. :roftl:

There is nothing better than Canadian Beer....mmmmmm....Beeeeeerrrr.....

I agree!! He deserves every award he was nominated for. He has worked incredibly hard for it all!!

He needs to watch though... all those empty alcohol calories, and

he won't be fitting in those skinny jeans! :shocked:

Will you get to see the Brits up in Canada? We in the US have no hope

until maybe April on BBCAmerica... or youtube, of course... :wink2:

dcdeb

dcdeb

LOL - I think Mika would have a breakdown if he found himself sporting a beer belly. :roftl:

And yeah, we get it on CBC on Thursday. A day late and a dollar short, as my mom would say - but better than nothing. :punk:

And Babs said she'd try to get it on Youtube.

dcdeb

Yep they are airing on Thursday!! Can't wait!!

CBC will finally air something worth watching!! :naughty:

dcdeb

APRIL?!

I didn't think it would air that much later! Now I'm pissed :naughty:

APRIL?!

I didn't think it would air that much later! Now I'm pissed :naughty:

Well, that's when BBCAmerica aired the show last year :(

I don't see it on their schedule at all yet, and it goes up to about

24 March, I think.

dcdeb

From today's SUN:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/article822853.ece

SOME serious colour has been injected into pop music lately.

And it’s flamboyant singer MIKA who has been the catalyst for this new psychedelic music world.

It’s just over a year since he arrived on the music scene and he’s already making his name across the globe.

But despite a meteoric rise to fame, Mika insists his life isn’t perfect, partly because fame doesn’t come with a hangover-free card.

He says: “Perfect life? Not in the slightest. Well, I’m very lucky, but it’s not perfect. When I wake up I’m not running around like I’m in The Sound of Music.

“I wake up thinking, ‘I shouldn’t have had that fifth beer’. And that’s what sticks in your mind, not ‘I’ve been nominated for four Brits’.”

But he adds: “They won’t let me because they say it will be too late and upset the neighbours.”

JENNA GOOD

Oh, this does put an image in my head of Mika in the Sound of Music: "The hills are alive with the sound of music......" IngievV where are you? (You really should make a filmposter:naughty: )

It's probably me, but I have a hard time imagening Mika drinking 5 beers...:blink:

This made me laugh....he is such a funny guy:cool:

From today's SUN:

For Mika, making music isn’t just a profession, it’s a necessary, cathartic exercise. He said: “I already started my next album a while ago. It’s like doing plumbing, you’ve just got to do it.

I can imagine Mika doing plumbing... :naughty:

But Mika reckons it was after Take That’s chart reign last decade that pop went bad.

He says: “I think pop became a very dirty word after the 1990s.

“I think that a lot of the record company-driven music is what gave pop a bad name in the Nineties.”

Wise words... :thumb_yello: ..especially that he said it all without naming any of these manufactured acts ...

I can't help thinking that he is just too clever for a pop star... He already talks like a legend ....:cool:

Well, that's when BBCAmerica aired the show last year :(

I don't see it on their schedule at all yet, and it goes up to about

24 March, I think.

dcdeb

You don't get CBC? We get it here on our cable and so I will get to watch them on the 21st at 8pm also. I'm sure I will be seeing it on YouTube before that though! :naughty:

You don't get CBC? We get it here on our cable and so I will get to watch them on the 21st at 8pm also. I'm sure I will be seeing it on YouTube before that though! :naughty:

No CBC -- a bazillion channels but not that one. :thumbdown:

But yes, I'm sure we'll see it on youtube -- it's just so much nicer

to see Mika on my nice flat panel TV in HD. :naughty:

dcdeb

Thanks for posting this Deb!! It's great! I can't wait to find out what happens. He far and away deserves at least one award. I think the Brits are smart enough to know that... I hope!!!!!

I can imagine Mika doing plumbing... :naughty:

Wise words... :thumb_yello: ..especially that he said it all without naming any of these manufactured acts ...

I can't help thinking that he is just too clever for a pop star... He already talks like a legend ....:cool:

I know it!!! Every interview he does is so interesting. It's never the "same old" (unless the interviewer has no creativity that is lol)

LOL - I think Mika would have a breakdown if he found himself sporting a beer belly. :roftl:

QUOTE]

:roftl: Big boys you are beautiful! :roftl: But that is so un-Mika!