The Australian Thread: Part Ten

Ahhh, okay, I get it. :wink2:

And yeah, they* have a word for "plastic bag" - lol, whereas we just plonk plastic and bag together :blink:

*you :naughty:

Technically "Mika" literally means "plastic" and to say "plastic bag" you would say "khensha dyal mika" (i.e. "bag made of plastic") or "khensha d'mika" (i.e. a condensed version of the sentence) but "plastic bag" is abbreviated to just "mika" by plastic bag-sellers in market places (whom you can hear calling our "mika! mika! mika!" :naughty:) so it's entered common usage and people now say "mika" on its own to refer to a plastic bag but still use the word "mika" to mean "plastic" when talking about other plastic items e.g. plastic chair "kursi dyal mika"/"kursi d'mika".

(Note that Moroccans often condense their sentences and condense words by taking vowels out. It's just their style of talking. Or maybe they're lazy. One of the two.)

...now that was one long explanation of the meaning of Mika. :naughty:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"plastic bag" is abbreviated to just "mika" by plastic bag-sellers in market places (whom you can hear calling our "mika! mika! mika!" :naughty:) so it's entered common usage and people now say "mika" on its own to refer to a plastic bag but still use the word "mika" to mean "plastic" when talking about other plastic items e.g. plastic chair "kursi dyal mika"/"kursi d'mika".

Oh God. I can imagine Mika traveling to Morocco. He would go to a market, hear people hawking their wares, and his reflex reaction would be to sigh, put on a smile, and take out a sharpie to sign autographs. :naughty:

--Jack

Oh God. I can imagine Mika traveling to Morocco. He would go to a market, hear people hawking their wares, and his reflex reaction would be to sigh, put on a smile, and take out a sharpie to sign autographs. :naughty:

--Jack

I can almost imagine him doing that. :lmao:

I, for one, had my fair share of giggles when shopping during my summer holiday. :naughty:

That's it. 'Disco Inferno' is over!!

On the one hand I'm happy because I finally have my life back but on the other hand I'm really sad because I will never be doing it again.

:crybaby:

*pats SD*

At least you'll have the memories and photos etc (you did take photos didn't you?)

*remembers the brief span of time she was mq queen*

I shall be again one day

*swears it*

And that is why us mere mq mortals are as yet not a challenge to her.... but we will..... oh be sure...one day we will

Like when I'm absent long enough to actually have something to MQ....damn addiction

LOL!

Yeah, stupid addiction ... :thumbdown: ... we don't stand a chance

Technically "Mika" literally means "plastic" and to say "plastic bag" you would say "khensha dyal mika" (i.e. "bag made of plastic") or "khensha d'mika" (i.e. a condensed version of the sentence) but "plastic bag" is abbreviated to just "mika" by plastic bag-sellers in market places (whom you can hear calling our "mika! mika! mika!" :naughty:) so it's entered common usage and people now say "mika" on its own to refer to a plastic bag but still use the word "mika" to mean "plastic" when talking about other plastic items e.g. plastic chair "kursi dyal mika"/"kursi d'mika".

(Note that Moroccans often condense their sentences and condense words by taking vowels out. It's just their style of talking. Or maybe they're lazy. One of the two.)

...now that was one long explanation of the meaning of Mika.

Ah but I love long detailed explanations :wink2: And we condense words by adding "sie" on the end ... pure class. Not to mention half the time it makes the word longer :blink:

That's it. 'Disco Inferno' is over!!

On the one hand I'm happy because I finally have my life back but on the other hand I'm really sad because I will never be doing it again.

*waits for ... well, you know what now*

How was the afterparty?

Oh God. I can imagine Mika traveling to Morocco. He would go to a market, hear people hawking their wares, and his reflex reaction would be to sigh, put on a smile, and take out a sharpie to sign autographs.

--Jack

LOOOOOL!!! :lmfao: Ahhh, your killing me! I was expecting "and his reflex reaction would be to turn around to see who's calling him" ... but that is just classic :roftl:

I, for one, had my fair share of giggles when shopping during my summer holiday. :naughty:

:roftl: :roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

*pats SD*

At least you'll have the memories and photos etc (you did take photos didn't you?)

... and videos... right? right? right? :fisch:

*pats SD*

Yeah. A few photos.

*waits for ... well, you know what now*

How was the afterparty?

It was pretty fun. We had one at school in the arts centre hall for which the teachers ordered a heap of pizza and cans of soft drink. Then one of the leads was having a party back at her house but I decided not to go.I'm way too tired.

... and videos... right? right? right? :fisch:

:naughty:

Yeah. A few photos.

It was pretty fun. We had one at school in the arts centre hall for which the teachers ordered a heap of pizza and cans of soft drink. Then one of the leads was having a party back at her house but I decided not to go.I'm way too tired.

:naughty:

Oh awesome! :thumb_yello:

*waits for photos to appear somewhere*

Don't tell me that you and I are still here..... :naughty:

Are we alone??

I believe we are :blink:

*can't believe it took her an hour to find this post*

*isn't really on the ball tonight*

*realises this is probably because no curfew has been imposed yet again*

*just spent 30 seconds staring at the screen trying to think of the world 'imposed'*

*brain kept saying "opposed! .. no ...opposed! .. no! ... damn ... what about ... opposed!"*

:lmfao:

We need to start going to bed alot earlier.. Our brains fry at midnight..

*wonders if it's midnight where you are yet*

*has no concept of time*

*stares at the keyboard and wonders why she'd need 2 ctrl keys*

*decides it's a waste of plastic*

*realises that in Morocco it's a waste of Mika*

I'm going to have to do these one at a time

Australian Citizenship Test

1. Do you understand the meaning, but are unable to explain the origin of, the term "died in the arse"?____

Yes

4. Explain the following passage:

"In the arvo last Chrissy the relos rocked up for a barbie, some bevvies and a few snags. After a bit of a Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies, bickies and lollies. Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block after Dad and Steve had a barney and a bit of biffo."__

In the afternoon last Christmas Day, one's extended family assembled for an alfresco meal, with liquid refreshment, and meat products of uncertain origin. Having recovered from the post-prandial stupor, the company opened the gifts, and consumed the chocolates, biscuits and frozen confectionary concealed therein. Regrettably more alcohol was then consumed, causing one's Mater to become slightly annoyed when Pater and Stephen had a minor disagreement, which ended in fisticuffs.

5. Macca, Chooka and Wanger are driving to Surfers in their Torana. If they are travelling at 100 km/h while listening to Barnsey, Farnsey and Acca Dacca, how many slabs will each person on average consume between flashing a brown eye and having a slash?_

What do you mean, average? This is Macca, Chooka and Wanger we're talking about here! :shocked:

6. Complete the following sentences:

a) "If the van's rockin' don't bother ....... Knockin'

b) You're going home in the back of a ........black maria.

c) Fair crack of the...........builder's bum

_____________________________ ____

7. I've had a gutful and I can't be fagged. Discuss

_____________________________ _____

What do you mean, discuss, I've just told you I can't be fagged.

8. Have you ever been on the giving or receiving end of a wedgie?

No and no

9. Do you have a friend or relative who has a car in their front yard "up on blocks"? Is his name Bruce and does he have a wife called Cheryl?

It's Bruce and Sharlene actually

We need to start going to bed alot earlier.. Our brains fry at midnight..

*wonders if it's midnight where you are yet*

*has no concept of time*

*stares at the keyboard and wonders why she'd need 2 ctrl keys*

*decides it's a waste of plastic*

*realises that in Morocco it's a waste of Mika*

*agrees*

*looks at clock*

Yes, it's 3:34 now

*realises it's 5:34 for Kelzy*

*tells Kelzy to go to bed*

*tells self to go to bed*

*explains to Kelzy that the right ctrl key (and right alt key) are for when you want to do ctrl, alt, delete with just one hand* :wink2:

*dies of laughter at the unexpected plastic joke*

*is scared at the thought that the plastic bag jokes may now be thrown at her unexpectedly over anything plastic as well*

*stops communicating in starry-things*

Yes

:roftl:

Kylie Minogue after a fight

Yes, they're second cousins

In the afternoon last Christmas Day, one's extended family assembled for an alfresco meal, with liquid refreshment, and meat products of uncertain origin. Having recovered from the post-prandial stupor, the company opened the gifts, and consumed the chocolates, biscuits and frozen confectionary concealed therein. Regrettably more alcohol was then consumed, causing one's Mater to become slightly annoyed when Pater and Stephen had a minor disagreement, which ended in fisticuffs.

:roftl::lmfao::roftl: !!!

It's Bruce and Sharlene actually

:naughty::lmfao:

*glares at silver for making post un-quotable*

*glares at clock for reinforcing the concept of time*

*glares at study that she has to do*

*needs to go to sleep*

Nighty night, guys. Kelzy, just a few more minutes and "demented body clock" Aaurora will be up :wink2::naughty: