Mika plays for Carphone Warehouse.

RAK1

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone.

I found you a few weeks ago by googling, I happened to come by today and saw this post so decided it was time for me to quit lurking in the shadows! :thumb_yello:

awwww so you were reading about how desperate we were to hear about this gig? :roftl::roftl::roftl: thanks for coming forward!!! ;o)

Oh, and we didn't get every song, didn't get sweet dreams, didn't even get Big Girls :shocked:

I guess you mean you didn't film them all...for a minute there I thought he didn't play them, then I remembered I had seen a BG vid.

By the way, I am just astonished that Mika had 2 BGs on stage but NO LOLLIPOP GIRLS!!! What's with that? I am not alone is saying I think they have always been a bit of a highlight for me!

And soangel oops that was automatic...that's someone else who used to be on MFC:blink:

NoAngel THANKYOU!!:flowers2:

:angel_not: Did you know there is even a smiley for you??

I guess you mean you didn't film them all...for a minute there I thought he didn't play them, then I remembered I had seen a BG vid.

By the way, I am just astonished that Mika had 2 BGs on stage but NO LOLLIPOP GIRLS!!! What's with that? I am not alone is saying I think they have always been a bit of a highlight for me!

And soangel oops that was automatic...that's someone else who used to be on MFC:blink:

NoAngel THANKYOU!!:flowers2:

:angel_not: Did you know there is even a smiley for you??

Because there weren't mfcers there! lol, shoot, i would have volunteered had i been on the same continent....lol and i'm sure iadoremika would have too! :roftl:

Happy Ending

In this one you can actually hear my husband saying he's changed his mind about Mika!!

Great video!!!! My favorite Mika song..:wub2:

Your husband should join the MFC now that he is converted..:wink2:

My pleasure in posting the vids,

Heres the final one...

The story of his first phone, that's hilarious.

Thanks for all the vids, that made my day. :huglove:

Hi everyone,

There were some fans at this (me included) the atmosphere is obviously going to be different at such a party rather than a concert as at a concert you only buy a ticket if you're a fan. This was a party for the whole company so not everyone is going to be a Mika fan (crazy people!) and think Mika probably aware of this.

The performance was amazing, I've never seen Mika live before as concert dates have been when we've either been saving for baby things or then had a new baby so haven't had the opportunity. His music is played all day here and my husband has always disliked Mika, since the party though he's now a Mika convert. Says he is definately coming with me to next concert anywhere in this country!

Reason you wouldn't have heard is that we never find out for sure who the headline act is, usually just rumours. Oh, and the theme was carnival not superheros.

Most of the crowd were genuinely appreciative, I think lots of the ones who weren't singing along just didn't know the words but doesn't mean they didn't enjoy it. I don't know how anyone could have not enjoyed that!!

Any questions? lol. I can't stop talking about this to people and I think they're getting bored but sure you guys won't!!! :thumb_yello:

I have pictures being developed and some great vids that I'll put up and post the links to.

xxx

Thank you for the report :thumb_yello:

Off top of my head we had -

Relax, Grace Kelly, Big Girls, Love Today, Billy Brown, My Interpretation, Sweet Dreams, Lollipop... I feel like I'm missing some here but it's just a quick post before I start getting dinner out...

No new songs... Some lucky people did get to meet Mika, they had competitions for budding writers, DJ's and photographers and the winners got to meet him!! Had I known I would have done everything to win one of those competitions!! They got photos taken and everything! v. jealous!!

I would have loved to hear him sing "Sweet Dreams". :mf_lustslow: And waaah! I am a budding writer! Why couldn't I have been there to compete for a Mika meeting? Those lucky winners. :mf_rosetinted:

I found you a few weeks ago by googling, I happened to come by today and saw this post so decided it was time for me to quit lurking in the shadows! :thumb_yello:

Thank you so much for finding us and posting the videos! So lovely to see Mika again. And I'm thrilled that he won over new fans. He has a tendency to do that. :wub2::mf_lustslow::wub2:

Hi everyone,

There were some fans at this (me included) the atmosphere is obviously going to be different at such a party rather than a concert as at a concert you only buy a ticket if you're a fan. This was a party for the whole company so not everyone is going to be a Mika fan (crazy people!) and think Mika probably aware of this.

The performance was amazing, I've never seen Mika live before as concert dates have been when we've either been saving for baby things or then had a new baby so haven't had the opportunity. His music is played all day here and my husband has always disliked Mika, since the party though he's now a Mika convert. Says he is definately coming with me to next concert anywhere in this country!

Reason you wouldn't have heard is that we never find out for sure who the headline act is, usually just rumours. Oh, and the theme was carnival not superheros.

Most of the crowd were genuinely appreciative, I think lots of the ones who weren't singing along just didn't know the words but doesn't mean they didn't enjoy it. I don't know how anyone could have not enjoyed that!!

Any questions? lol. I can't stop talking about this to people and I think they're getting bored but sure you guys won't!!! :thumb_yello:

I have pictures being developed and some great vids that I'll put up and post the links to.

xxx

Woohoo! Gosh, I feel like you've been welcomed by practically the whole forum already but who am I to stand in the way of convention? So welcome:biggrin2: I'm really glad to know both that there were appreciative people there and also that he may have some new fans out of that crowd!

It's too easy if there are only real fans. It's better when someone said "i don't like Mika. I heard that he can't sing" and then tells you "It's the best gig i had in my whole life". :biggrin2:

You know! Mika needs some challenge! :bleh:

Actually, maybe he does need the challenge! I was wondering if for him a gig like this is reminiscent of the days when he was just starting out and nobody knew him really and he had to win over a tent full of people. He managed to do it back then, can he still pull it off? He's said himself how dangerous complacency is. And maybe the challenge is a bit of a thrill. Whilst it's wonderful to have adoring and appreciative fans, does it ever get stale for him to be playing to people who would love what he did no matter what? (OK, so we're not really that uncritical, but we're very forgiving.:blush-anim-cl:)

Off top of my head we had -

Relax, Grace Kelly, Big Girls, Love Today, Billy Brown, My Interpretation, Sweet Dreams, Lollipop... I feel like I'm missing some here but it's just a quick post before I start getting dinner out...

No new songs... Some lucky people did get to meet Mika, they had competitions for budding writers, DJ's and photographers and the winners got to meet him!! Had I known I would have done everything to win one of those competitions!! They got photos taken and everything! v. jealous!!

Lucky, lucky them!!

OK. I have a question... WHO PLAYED KEYBOARDS???!!!

As far as I know, Luke is still over in the U.S. playing with Temposhark.... Isn't he??

I wonder if he felt like the MFC were there... He makes the crowd sing part of Billy Brown but then he quickly starts carrying on singing the bit that the crowd should be singing.. :fisch:

OK. I have a question... WHO PLAYED KEYBOARDS???!!!

As far as I know, Luke is still over in the U.S. playing with Temposhark.... Isn't he??

I think if you watch this video you can see it was Luke. Temposhark is listed as playing in London end of May as their next gig.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lNV6Ju7cu7U

oh, and on this vid you can see him playing guitar next to Martin on My Interpretation.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=sufUO2u6Ll4

Thank you so much for sharing :mf_lustslow:

I have been very busy lately and I have found the time to read this thread only today unfortunately.

There he is our wonderful powerpop statue! Isn't he gorgeous as usual? and the curls are back... the curls supporters will be happy! :naughty:

but actually the audience is a bit lousy :thumbdown: or were they already completely drunk and therefore unaware they were immensely lucky to have that young man singing for them? :sneaky2:

*I'm happy you're fine Mister M :wink2:*

I think if you watch this video you can see it was Luke. Temposhark is listed as playing in London end of May as their next gig.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lNV6Ju7cu7U

oh, and on this vid you can see him playing guitar next to Martin on My Interpretation.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=sufUO2u6Ll4

Thanks BS. To be honest, I really couldn't see properly so I kind of gave up and just listened as the sound quality was ok. And I didn't look at Temposhark's page, I was going by what Luke had written in his blog about being in the US for 6 weeks from 12th April. So I just presumed he would still be there, considering it's hardly been 6 weeks.

Thanks everyone :blush-anim-cl:

Going to see if theres any good pictures worth putting up when I pick them up today. Bit worried they'll be rubbish as it was only a crappy disposable camera.

I think watching the videos back the crowd weren't really that lousy. Took a bit of warming up and most will only know the words to Love Today, Big Girls, Relax, Grace Kelly, Happy Ending, But by the end there was a lot of cheering going on, think I missed it off the videos but at one point when he went off stage the crowd were chanting "Mikaaa Mikaaa!"

The crowd was never going to be as loud as a concert with paying fans but Mika did a fantastic job of winning over the crowd and I don't think that any one would have been expecting the place would be full of screaming fans.

Your just not going to get that at a company ball with such a mix of people with different musical tastes.

Oh just to add with the chanting of Mikas name... that has NEVER happened before. Last year we had Jamiroquai, year before Bassment Jaxx, year before Will Young and Jamelia, year before Atomic Kitten. None of them got to the crowd as much as Mika. Was the best performance CPW has seen. Also shows that people really did enjoy it! Even if they were a bit slow on the uptake. :biggrin2:

Oh and I realise that some of those I've mentioned *cough* Atomic Kitten *cough* are a bit crappy but this is years ago when they were popular! hehe

So not trying to compare lesser acts reception to the good one of Mika really!!

I'm really pleased to know. but then again, I'm not surprised.. we all know how charming and energetic he can be and what ascendent on audience he's.. :wub2:

once again, thx for reports, pics and vids! :thumb_yello:

I wonder if he felt like the MFC were there... He makes the crowd sing part of Billy Brown but then he quickly starts carrying on singing the bit that the crowd should be singing.. :fisch:

Hehehe, I noticed that as well...:naughty:

He probably did it by reflex, and when he realised that it wasn't a "normal" gig and people didn't know every letter of the lyrics, he decided to carry on singing himself.

That was very sweet.

Going to see if theres any good pictures worth putting up when I pick them up today. Bit worried they'll be rubbish as it was only a crappy disposable camera.

I think watching the videos back the crowd weren't really that lousy. Took a bit of warming up and most will only know the words to Love Today, Big Girls, Relax, Grace Kelly, Happy Ending, But by the end there was a lot of cheering going on, think I missed it off the videos but at one point when he went off stage the crowd were chanting "Mikaaa Mikaaa!"

The crowd was never going to be as loud as a concert with paying fans but Mika did a fantastic job of winning over the crowd and I don't think that any one would have been expecting the place would be full of screaming fans.

Your just not going to get that at a company ball with such a mix of people with different musical tastes.

Oh just to add with the chanting of Mikas name... that has NEVER happened before. Last year we had Jamiroquai, year before Bassment Jaxx, year before Will Young and Jamelia, year before Atomic Kitten. None of them got to the crowd as much as Mika. Was the best performance CPW has seen. Also shows that people really did enjoy it! Even if they were a bit slow on the uptake. :biggrin2:

I totally agree with that. Seeing the vids, it was a good crowd, and as you well say, it would not be the same as a crowd full of fans, so it would be unrealistic to expect the same madness.

It's great to read your views on how his performance compared to the rest of artists you've seen there, as it really makes me happy that he managed to get everyone on the "Mika-love" frame of mind, particularly knowing that so many people have preconceptions on him (usually negative) and when they are actually confronted with his reality, they actually really like him.

Go Mika, at this rate he's going to conquer the world.:naughty: Let's hope that he doesn't have any evil intentions, LOL!

This is fantastic, he got a great reaction from the crowd, even though they weren't all big fans. If he gets this kind of reaction from people who aren't big fans, he's well on his way to being huge.

Thanks for your pics and report NoAngel, they've been amazing. Notice he kept his shirt on for Love Today:naughty:.

Good to have you on board:wink2:.