MTV names Platinum and Gold winners

OhMyMika!!

Mika won gold...here's the article:

The awards cover the second half of 2007, reflecting the most-played videos across the MTV global network.

8,000 plays were required for platinum status and 4,000 for gold, after MTV decided to up the eligibility levels from 6,000 and 3,000 plays respectively.

Rihanna received two platinum awards – for Shut Up And Drive and Umbrella – and one gold award, for Don’t Stop The Music.

Timbaland won two platinum awards, for The Way I Are - the most-played video over the six months - and Apologize (by Timbaland presents One Republic).

UK acts, however, fared badly on the list: James Blunt’s 1973 received the Britain’s only platinum award, while Mika’s Relax (Take It Easy) and Sugababes’ About You Now won gold awards. UK-signed Kylie Minogue’s 2 Hearts was also certified gold....

to be continued here: http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1034360&c=1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a strange concept indeed!

Awards like this are always a bit arbitrary but this has to be the most bizarre thing I've heard of in terms of music industry awards!

But thanks for posting anyway:thumb_yello:

I can't believe MTV is handing out awards to other people for the fact that they play the same videos over and over and over. Bravo. :naughty:

i was thinking the same, i heard Madonna's 4 minutes 6times today, at the beginning i liked that song now i simply hate it because its so overplayed :boxed:

the same thing was with "apologize" :roftl::roftl:

I was thinking the same thing- They decide how many times they play what, and then they give out awards based on the amount of times that they have played it?:boxed::blink: Too bizarre a concept for me to get...

I will say something though, and I hope that I don't get killed:naughty:. As much as I love Mika and his music, I still think that his weak point are his videos.

His music is IMO so much better than what the videos end up looking like....GK is my favourite and then Happy Ending, but I really think that BG and LT were not very good at all...Relax doesn't relly count, does it?

And it saddens me that maybe for shallow people who will watch the vid and not really listen to the music, they will get this impression of Mika based on the wrong thing, and miss out on what he's about.

Does this make any sense?:wink2:. I mean, his live show is so great!

His videos could be a lot better, and then when they play them on these TV channels he would "recruit" new fans, rather than perhaps leave people cold.

Just my opinion.

I was thinking the same thing- They decide how many times they play what, and then they give out awards based on the amount of times that they have played it?:boxed::blink: Too bizarre a concept for me to get...

I will say something though, and I hope that I don't get killed:naughty:. As much as I love Mika and his music, I still think that his weak point are his videos.

His music is IMO so much better than what the videos end up looking like....GK is my favourite and then Happy Ending, but I really think that BG and LT were not very good at all...Relax doesn't relly count, does it?

And it saddens me that maybe for shallow people who will watch the vid and not really listen to the music, they will get this impression of Mika based on the wrong thing, and miss out on what he's about.

Does this make any sense?:wink2:. I mean, his live show is so great!

His videos could be a lot better, and then when they play them on these TV channels he would "recruit" new fans, rather than perhaps leave people cold.

Just my opinion.

I won't kill you cause I agree.

I also think his video's don't look that good.

I love Big girl and Love Today, but I agree with you, the vids don't look that good. They look fun though. My least favourite has to be the original ''old'' Relax.

And yeah, his live shows are great. It's just like with the tv shows. Some of them look very awful:thumbdown:

I won't kill you cause I agree.

I also think his video's don't look that good.

I love Big girl and Love Today, but I agree with you, the vids don't look that good. They look fun though. My least favourite has to be the original ''old'' Relax.

And yeah, his live shows are great. It's just like with the tv shows. Some of them look very awful:thumbdown:

Yes, I totally agree with that as well:naughty:. It's unbelievable how different to his "real" shows they can be. Quite something.

Does this make any sense?. I mean, his live show is so great!

Just my opinion.

Is it very selfish to wish he wouldn't recruit as many new fans - in times of 50,000 capacity venues! :naughty:

I think quality wise his videos show quite a range - from GK which I love for many reasons at the top to BG at the very very bottom. Sorry for everyone who's in, my dislike for this video is not about the 'whos' but the 'hows' :bleh: (although I really think it was a great idea to have fans in there)

So basically I think if you first saw GK, getting into Mika is more likely to happen than it would be after having seen BG without having seen or heard anything by him before.

I'll never forgive ya for not having released Any Other World / SITM as vids instead of BG & HE :ap_rosetinted:

:shocked:I can't believe I've written that:roftl:

But...but :tears: I love that first part of the HE video!!!!

Although I would have fancied a visual version of Any Other World, too :blush-anim-cl:

Really? I love the Love Today video. :wub2:

And I love it ten times more, because it generated reviews like this one. :roftl:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/pickardofthepops/page/0,,2066227,00.html

And I love it ten times more, because it generated reviews like this one. :roftl:

i had never seen that review before...

it is kinda funny. ... they are right, the songs stay in your head for hours, days, weeks, months!!! i'm ok with that! :wink2:

Mika won gold...here's the article:

The awards cover the second half of 2007, reflecting the most-played videos across the MTV global network.

8,000 plays were required for platinum status and 4,000 for gold, after MTV decided to up the eligibility levels from 6,000 and 3,000 plays respectively.

Rihanna received two platinum awards – for Shut Up And Drive and Umbrella – and one gold award, for Don’t Stop The Music.

Timbaland won two platinum awards, for The Way I Are - the most-played video over the six months - and Apologize (by Timbaland presents One Republic).

UK acts, however, fared badly on the list: James Blunt’s 1973 received the Britain’s only platinum award, while Mika’s Relax (Take It Easy) and Sugababes’ About You Now won gold awards. UK-signed Kylie Minogue’s 2 Hearts was also certified gold....

to be continued here: http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1034360&c=1

yay! they nvr play mika on MTV in california :( unless u have My Playlist, and my friend was like, "i saw that mika guys video, and it was kida freaky" and i had to guess which one, but right away i got it (GK), and it was funny (her x-bf thought mika was hott!!!! it was funny! i was like, U GO! lol and i told him that of course mika was hott!

i love the love today video too:wub2:

what mtv is doing with these awards is kinda weird unless they count the times the videos were somehow requested by the viewers.

anyway it's nice to win. congrats Mika!

Here in the U.S. last August they played Love Today for about a month, once a day(eventhough they play every other video 10 times a day) at 5am. So therefore I think that he should get an award for most obscure timeslot for a video. Thanks alot MTV:mf_rosetinted:

Ha ha:roftl: That really made me laugh. Even though I've read it before, I obviously wasn't paying attention to it the first time :naughty: I also love the LT vid, after GK :wub2:

thanks for that! it's hilarious! :roftl:

"Lights up. The video begins. In a radical departure, the usually flamboyant and ostentatious Mika stands still, calm, pensive.

For approximately 0.8 seconds. And then he's back to normal."

:roftl::roftl: