Mika in a music festival in Beirut

PurpleCat

Summer music festivals back on in Lebanon

BEIRUT (AFP) — Summer music festivals in Lebanon, which usually attract visitors in their thousands, are back this year after being silenced by war and political instability, organisers announced on Thursday.

"What we are seeing today is an expression of the true face of Lebanon after this difficult period and after the dark cloud has passed," Tourism Minister Joe Sarkis said at a press conference unveiling plans for the Beiteddine Festival, one of the most prestigious.

"Today we are facing a new future for Lebanon... and a promising summer that expresses our love of culture and our love of life."

Several festivals were forced to cancel in 2006 because of the devastating July-August war between Israel and Hezbollah and again in 2007 over the protracted political crisis and a deadly standoff between the army and Islamist militiamen in a Palestinian refugee camp.

"The Beiteddine Festival has been held for more than 26 years," festival committee vice president Wafa Saab told AFP. "In that time, we have only had to cancel the last two years though there have been times in the past that we had to cancel particular shows but not the festival as a whole."

Other music extravaganzas are also set to return this year, including the Baalbek festival which is held in the shadows of the ruins of an ancient Roman temple near the border with Syria, according to one of the organisers.

The Beiteddine shows run from July 11 to August 12 in a palatial 19th century residence in the Shouf mountains southeast of Beirut, an area of green hills and traditional villages that is a popular tourist attraction.

Among those set to take the stage are Brazilian singer and culture minister Gilberto Gil, as well as Iraqi, Lebanese and Moroccan musicians. In previous years, Beiteddine has hosted the likes of Elton John, opera singer Andrea Bocelli and tenor Placido Domingo.

Beiteddine and Baalbek organisers are also co-sponsoring a concert by Lebanese-born pop sensation Mika in Beirut on July 27.

Here, the same news:

http://www.lematin.ma/Actualite/Express/Article.asp?id=92047

Le Festival de Baalbeck, qui n'a pas encore publié le programme de sa prochaine édition, co-organisera notamment le 27 juillet un concert du chanteur Mika, né à Beyrouth d'une mère libanaise et d'un père américain.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh wow...i really think i have to visit Lebanon this summer...:mf_lustslow:

but is it really confirmed by him?! :blink:

Good point! I think I let myself go a little with the excitement and all, hehehe:blush-anim-cl: Let's hope he confirms it soon:thumb_yello:

Bit gutted about this, was hoping to go to the Lebonese homecoming show, and Racha was going to show me around too, but I'm tied up here that week.

i'd not mind visiting racha for that occasion too, rose.. :naughty: she even invited me previously, to show me all the blond lebanese people around :bleh:

it's an awesome event: i really hope it'll take place, for him, his family and o.c. all the lebanese fans :punk:

Summer music festivals back on in Lebanon

BEIRUT (AFP) — Summer music festivals in Lebanon, which usually attract visitors in their thousands, are back this year after being silenced by war and political instability, organisers announced on Thursday.

"What we are seeing today is an expression of the true face of Lebanon after this difficult period and after the dark cloud has passed," Tourism Minister Joe Sarkis said at a press conference unveiling plans for the Beiteddine Festival, one of the most prestigious.

"Today we are facing a new future for Lebanon... and a promising summer that expresses our love of culture and our love of life."

Several festivals were forced to cancel in 2006 because of the devastating July-August war between Israel and Hezbollah and again in 2007 over the protracted political crisis and a deadly standoff between the army and Islamist militiamen in a Palestinian refugee camp.

"The Beiteddine Festival has been held for more than 26 years," festival committee vice president Wafa Saab told AFP. "In that time, we have only had to cancel the last two years though there have been times in the past that we had to cancel particular shows but not the festival as a whole."

Other music extravaganzas are also set to return this year, including the Baalbek festival which is held in the shadows of the ruins of an ancient Roman temple near the border with Syria, according to one of the organisers.

The Beiteddine shows run from July 11 to August 12 in a palatial 19th century residence in the Shouf mountains southeast of Beirut, an area of green hills and traditional villages that is a popular tourist attraction.

Among those set to take the stage are Brazilian singer and culture minister Gilberto Gil, as well as Iraqi, Lebanese and Moroccan musicians. In previous years, Beiteddine has hosted the likes of Elton John, opera singer Andrea Bocelli and tenor Placido Domingo.

Beiteddine and Baalbek organisers are also co-sponsoring a concert by Lebanese-born pop sensation Mika in Beirut on July 27.

Here, the same news:

http://www.lematin.ma/Actualite/Express/Article.asp?id=92047

Le Festival de Baalbeck, qui n'a pas encore publié le programme de sa prochaine édition, co-organisera notamment le 27 juillet un concert du chanteur Mika, né à Beyrouth d'une mère libanaise et d'un père américain.

This will be fantastic for Mika to make a gig there, i know he has lots of fans in his birthplace. Will hope for the best for the lebanese fans that it will be confirmed. :)

oh, that's great!!!! I'm sure, Mika's music will help a lot there, too!! How they must be proud of mika, the lebanese people!:)

hehe, 27 of july, that's my birthday;)

this is a gig with an additional value....:blush-anim-cl:

cheers to all lebanese fans! :thumb_yello:

this is gig will definately have an additional value, i'm sure it's gonna be an emotional moment :wub2:

the lebanese fans must be sooooo excited!

Well...I would love to visit Lebanon (all that baklava, hmmmmm:naughty:) but this is one gig I should really not consider- it would be hard to disappear from my own wedding:roftl:.

But all of you going, (Racha?????????????) please report!! Take tons of videos!!

And have a blast!:punk:. I'm sure that it will be an incredibly emotional gig for him.

Well...I would love to visit Lebanon (all that baklava, hmmmmm:naughty:) but this is one gig I should really not consider- it would be hard to disappear from my own wedding:roftl:.

But all of you going, (Racha?????????????) please report!! Take tons of videos!!

And have a blast!:punk:. I'm sure that it will be an incredibly emotional gig for him.

Don't forget sari, we are supposed to be saving for our N American roadtrip. :naughty:

Don't forget sari, we are supposed to be saving for our N American roadtrip. :naughty:

oh yes, true:naughty: How could I forget:wink2:

The NA tour is such a cool thing to look forward to!!