Freddies English Teaching Course

Hello!

What does "to pwn"/"to be pwned" mean? is it the same as "to be owned"?

to "pwn" means "to compromise" or "to control", specifically another computer,web site, gateway device, or application; it is synonymous with one of the definitions of hacking or cracking.

Hello!

What does "to pwn"/"to be pwned" mean? is it the same as "to be owned"?

well where i live when someone says, you got pwned means basically you got owned, like if you said a joke to someone but they said a better joke back to you, does that make sense:boxed:

to "pwn" means "to compromise" or "to control", specifically another computer,web site, gateway device, or application; it is synonymous with one of the definitions of hacking or cracking.

Well thank you for that Dilek, I've never heard the expression.

I assume the "pwn" bit stands for a longer phrase.

well where i live when someone says, you got pwned means basically you got owned, like if you said a joke to someone but they said a better joke back to you, does that make sense:boxed:

you're right..

well i'm not a native speaker:naughty:

don't trust me:mf_rosetinted:

Thanks girls!!!!:punk:

Another thing... how's it pronounced?:blink::naughty:

Thanks girls!!!!:punk:

Another thing... how's it pronounced?:blink::naughty:

Apparently "pone" to rhyme with "own". But as it's a made up word you could probably pronounce it however you liked :naughty:

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I have a question.

I was posting in another thread and I looked a word up in the dictionnary (the big huge one), but didn't find what I was looking for. In French, the word is "doudou" and the dic gave me that definition (more or less): any object carried by children to make them feel more secure.

Does a word exist for that?

Actually, I have a question.

I was posting in another thread and I looked a word up in the dictionnary (the big huge one), but didn't find what I was looking for. In French, the word is "doudou" and the dic gave me that definition (more or less): any object carried by children to make them feel more secure.

Does a word exist for that?

Hey!

Yes, plenty of words :wink2:

The most common colloquial word is "dummy", although some people use "dodie" (sp.?). The proper word for it in Ireland (and Britain, I presume) is "soother" and in the US they say "pacifier"

:thumb_yello:

Hey!

Yes, plenty of words :wink2:

The most common colloquial word is "dummy", although some people use "dodie" (sp.?). The proper word for it in Ireland (and Britain, I presume) is "soother" and in the US they say "pacifier"

:thumb_yello:

Thank you very much!!!!!:huglove: