New blog!

lindemfc

My problem is when they're just badly filmed. I mean, I loved GK best and technically that WAS just Mika singing in his apartment. But the look was rich, textured and polished, and it created a great atmosphere: a bit of a fantasy vibe, a bit of a quaint loft party. It felt intimate, a little sexy, a little bizarre. Plus there was humor.

I am actually not at all fond of Love Today because I think it was too ...careless. Just a whole bunch of unconnected segments. Especially since the song itself has three great vignettes in it. But I guess at least it doesn't look as amateurish as Big Girls.

--Jack

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Love Today had much in the way of artistic merit. But the purpose of a music video is not to draw people into the theatres. It is to sell Mika's image and the more cool he looks the more people he's going to appeal to.

Yo.... my horoscope...

"July has arrived, and for many, including you, it's a perfect month to travel. Mercury is no longer retrograde as it was in June, so you can say goodbye to the delays and postponements that might have plagued you then. This month you will have your choice of whether to go near or far, or to a domestic city or overseas, and be confident that no matter what your choice, your trip will turn out to be simply delicious."

Mika said his show is going to be delicious right? :lmfao:

I couldn't resist.:fisch:

:lmao: now thats a nice horoscope to read!:naughty:

Oh, wonderful!! You should send this to Mika, as further incentive to pick you. Plus from what I recall, you're one of the very lucky few who has no plans, no school, and no need for a guardian to fly to Paris.

There are two things I do not get about Mika, at all.

One is that for an artist who acknowledges that he owes much of his success to the internet, he does not utilize his web presence whatsoever. His myspace sends out occasional, badly-written and impersonal promo bulletins, and that's... pretty much it. Why, when he knows how important online marketing is?

Two is that for an artist who's so very visual in his stage presence and merchandising, and who generally pays a lot of attention to spectacle, he does not care for his music videos at all. You'd think he'd be like Bowie or Madonna in their heyday, making the most of the medium, breaking new ground, creating little 3-minute masterpieces! Instead, he farms the concept of his videos onto other people entirely, and just kinda shows up. I'm not saying all his videos are bad or anything, but they are really not using the potential that the format offers at all. And why isn't he more involved in them? In interviews he makes it clear that it's the director who comes up with the ideas, and he's said before that he doesn't much care for music videos. Why, when that's one of the main ways music reaches a new audience?

--Jack

I agree that he's not publicising himself enough. I'm disappointed that he's not on TV more often. In Britain we have the morning shows, like GMTV, Good Morning, and Entertainment Today. When artists have something coming out, they are usually to be seen on one or more of those shows, plus, some talk shows in the evening, like Jonathan Ross.

Mika hasn't been on any of those things. He's been on Graheme Norton twice, and Jools Holland, twice, and once, on Friday night Project. But when Happy Ending came out, he wasn't on anything, and I think a bit of publicity would have made the single get even higher than it did.

I don't know whether Mika has a hand in planning his publicity appearances, or whether it is his management. If it is his management, they need to get their finger out, when Mika's new album is due for release, and book him onto some shows in the UK

I agree that he's not publicising himself enough. I'm disappointed that he's not on TV more often. In Britain we have the morning shows, like GMTV, Good Morning, and Entertainment Today. When artists have something coming out, they are usually to be seen on one or more of those shows, plus, some talk shows in the evening, like Jonathan Ross.

Mika hasn't been on any of those things. He's been on Graheme Norton twice, and Jools Holland, twice, and once, on Friday night Project. But when Happy Ending came out, he wasn't on anything, and I think a bit of publicity would have made the single get even higher than it did.

I don't know whether Mika has a hand in planning his publicity appearances, or whether it is his management. If it is his management, they need to get their finger out, when Mika's new album is due for release, and book him onto some shows in the UK

I agree about not seeing much of him on television.

I was so happy he was on Graham Norton twice, but like you said maybe Jonathan Ross or some other shows like that.

I don't mind really though, once he's on anything at all I'll be happy.

I wouldn't say I was being "aggressive." I was just giving my reaction. It was not an attack; I did not call anyone names, etc etc. But really this just baffles me. And considering that I'm not the only one, I thought it would be beneficial for Team Mika to HAVE some of that feedback, rather than just "I love youuuuuuuu! That contest sounds fun, wish I could go!"

--Jack

I agree - even if, by a faint miracle, they don't know how badly some

things are done, it does not hurt to point out practical things that can

be changed for the better.

Just Got A New Email From Mika!!

I have had 3 now = 3 almost heart attacks, and seconds of travel

planning - just to be dashed :sneaky2:

I have had 3 now = 3 almost heart attacks, and seconds of travel

planning - just to be dashed :sneaky2:

same here, but i was curious, so i clicked "here" and now it's only requiring you to submit your e-mail and country?

before it had me do a whole lot more than that.

and i'm still not getting confirmation for my old addresses. I hope i'm submitted at least...?

:mf_lustslow:I got another message from 'mika' this morning...and guess what...I can win tickets to his gig in France!! :shocked:

I'm like, Yeah! :punk:

Wow that's great :woot_jump: Good luck :yay:

:lmfao::lmfao:

kata you're killing me!!!

same here, but i was curious, so i clicked "here" and now it's only requiring you to submit your e-mail and country?

before it had me do a whole lot more than that.

and i'm still not getting confirmation for my old addresses. I hope i'm submitted at least...?

Thats true - and weird!!! No date of birth or anything!! :blink:

Well, have tried again - with both email addresses, but I only ever

get an answer to one!! :boxed:

its Horrible timing essetially

it takes a week in Victoria to get the passport renewed

providing you enter the application in on a friday you might get it on a friday.

Then you have that issue of July 1st holiday...one day delay etc....

then you might need some more money and also " oh boss i need to leave tomorrow to France" in most middle management type of job ( like me)

you would get an answer "fat chance"

so if this announcement was maybe announced a month ago things would be different. Its not fair to anyone. They should have just left it to local areas if it was this close to the concert. Its not fair to anyone who has the disadvantage of living outside of Europe ( like most of the time)

and for some reason it really sucks for Aussies because I bet you they will announce it after they have to leave on the plane :mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted:

speaking of music videos, there are three different approaches to making them. I would get my notes that I made in Media Studies when doing A-Levels in my second year, but that would probably take over an hour. I can't remember the exact names, but I remember the description.

One = video fits completely with lyrics

Two = Video fits with lyrics, with some bits "unfitting" (i.e. artist singing, being narrator if you like)

Three = video does not fit with lyrics at all. completely different.

this is going to annoy me. i really need to try and explain this more. god dammit, even if it takes me a century, im gonna find those bloody notes! *stomps off*

I have to say, I'm on the side of those who think this whole contest is a bit of a disaster.

Looking just at MFC - how many people are on here who don't attend class or have jobs? And of those people, how many are students on summer break who couldn't possibly travel to Paris on a weekday without a parent or someone with them? That might leave a handful of college students on break, or maybe some stay-at-home mothers. EDIT: And I'm not suggesting that only MFCers can win. I'm just saying that on this site, we have people of all ages, stages, and professions; and few, I think, who could reasonably be expected to run off to Paris on like four hours notice.

Even putting that aside - Mika takes the stage in about 60 hours. Let's assume that of those 60 hours, the person or people arranging this will be asleep for 16 of those 60 hours.

So within the next 44 hours, they're going to chose four different winners - then attempt to contact these winners by email, hope these people check their email multiple times a day, get in contact with these people, get their names and the names of their guests, arrange airfare, arrange accomodation, and arrange for ticket pickup?

Think about the logistics of that. Considering all the planning that will need to be done, even if the winners are from neighbouring countries like England or Spain - it seems absurd they'd leave it this late.

Even if the winners are all from somewhere in France, it's a hell of a lot to sort out on such short notice. It's also misleading to suggest that the contest is open worldwide - okay then. I'll believe that when we hear that winners were chosen from Asia, South America, England, and Mexico. Or something like that. What about people from countries that need a travel Visa to even enter France? Funny how that wasn't mentioned on the entry form!

Forgive me if I seem overly critical and rather skeptical. But Team Mika has a history of dropping the ball when it comes to contests and giveaways. And if Mika surprises me about this, then great - cheers to all those who win, and I hope it turns out really great for you. But for now, well, I'll believe it when I see it.

exactly...I'll believe it when I see it too.

even contests here at my store have better notice:mf_rosetinted:

SORRY This competition is now closed!!

If you would like to be kept up to date with future exclusive events and competitions from Mika just pop your email in below.

Remember to reply to the confirmation e-mail we send you to ensure you receive the updates. (* required fields)

So, I think we'll know by tomorrow who won...

I'm cuious if they put it online or not?

SORRY This competition is now closed!!

If you would like to be kept up to date with future exclusive events and competitions from Mika just pop your email in below.

Remember to reply to the confirmation e-mail we send you to ensure you receive the updates. (* required fields)

So, I think we'll know by tomorrow who won...

I'm cuious if they put it online or not?

I really hope they do - it would restore a bit of faith!!!

I really hope they do - it would restore a bit of faith!!!

Yes, I was thinking the same. Maybe he/she is from...america? then they should def post a picture of him/her with mika on mikasounds...:wink2: Then people would see mika (and his team) isn't so bad after all :naughty:

Yes, I was thinking the same. Maybe he/she is from...america? then they should def post a picture of him/her with mika on mikasounds...:wink2: Then people would see mika (and his team) isn't so bad after all :naughty:

There are four pairs of tickets - it would be good if they are not all

from the same place!! :sneaky2:

speaking of music videos, there are three different approaches to making them. I would get my notes that I made in Media Studies when doing A-Levels in my second year, but that would probably take over an hour. I can't remember the exact names, but I remember the description.

One = video fits completely with lyrics

Two = Video fits with lyrics, with some bits "unfitting" (i.e. artist singing, being narrator if you like)

Three = video does not fit with lyrics at all. completely different.

this is going to annoy me. i really need to try and explain this more. god dammit, even if it takes me a century, im gonna find those bloody notes! *stomps off*

FINALLY bloody found what I was effing looking for! Took me HOW long?! :roftl: i'm in the mood to deconstruct music vids now. once i post this, may make own thread in music and artwork section.

Things to look out for in a Music Video

• Lyrics don't need to be analysed word for word like a poem, but considered in the way they introduce a general feeling or mood.
  • Lyrics are important in creating a sense of subject matter, so key words/phrases may play a part in the visuals of the song
  • Narrative and performance.
  • Music videos used to have repeatability built into them. We need to watch them again and again in a more casual way (so classical realists don't work).
  • Purely narrative videos lack this. This is why most videos cut from narrative to performance.
  • The star image - this relies on the meta-narrative (big story) of the star.
  • Illustration, Amplification and disjunctive.
  • Illustration --> everything in video based on the song.
  • Amplification --> Creative, Artistic, but remains a link with the song.
  • Disjunctive --> Radical, usually abstract imagery with no links to the song.
  • Technical aspects - camera work, mise-en-scene, editing and sound.

ta-duh. the bolded bits were the ones I was trying to poorly explain. I threw the rest in to try and help make more sense of music videos and also because I wanted to look clever. :original:

So, I'd say all of Mika's music videos are amplification. Almost had the exception of Love Today which would almost disjuncture, if it didn't have the Carolina bit in it.