Mika in US Star Magazine

Fmbm

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EVERYTHING in American culture and politics is RIGGED :mf_rosetinted:

WHO r e a l l y beleived that George W. won the election against Gore?

ONLY the s h e e p in the deepest pastures

:shocked: . . . OK, I'M DONE,

SAID MY PIECE--

THIS IS GETTING WAY TOO HEAVY

FOR ME TO DEAL WITH --

STlogo.gif

AS YOU WERE: CARRY ON . . . :shocked:

Yeah- I was leaping to that conclusion.

But it's odd the way Mika's "alternative" in the States, "teen dream" in France and "for the 50 something mum" in the UK. And I must admit I've not come accross anyone under 25 who likes him. AND it's my church friends that like him, rather than my work friends.

I mean, I'm very fat, 46, and an accountant (worse, an auditor)- and people think HE's not cool enough for ME to like. Could they be more damning! (Or more wrong!)

Oh gawd! I am 31, a BIG girl... and a Legal Receptionist who is a single mother of three kids .... Mika like the outcast the 'freaks' so we are right where we should be :lmao:

I L O V E the fact that Mika appeals to A L L sorts of people though no matter what country we are talking about! My 15-year-old L O V E S Mika... and not just because I do! BECAUSE he music is infectious and WONDERFUL

People are STRANGE that is all there is to it! :insane:

People are STRANGE that is all there is to it! :insane:

And isn't that the best!

But can I just say that (excepting you and your daughter) it's just WRONG the way kids go to rock concerts with their parents. And I don't mean kiddie pop, I mean serious rock, and punk and... and nu-metal (whatever that is). That's just evil, it's disturbed, it's perverted. Rock is rebellion, rock is "my generation", rock is anti-establishment. It is NOT "a nice day out for all the family."

Sorry *fans herself* Won't happen again. But what is the world coming to... what is it coming to.... *weeps*

I would have died rather that go to a concert- even a Mika concert- with my parents. Funny old world, eh?

And isn't that the best!

But can I just say that (excepting you and your daughter) it's just WRONG the way kids go to rock concerts with their parents. And I don't mean kiddie pop, I mean serious rock, and punk and... and nu-metal (whatever that is). That's just evil, it's disturbed, it's perverted. Rock is rebellion, rock is "my generation", rock is anti-establishment. It is NOT "a nice day out for all the family."

Sorry *fans herself* Won't happen again. But what is the world coming to... what is it coming to.... *weeps*

I would have died rather that go to a concert- even a Mika concert- with my parents. Funny old world, eh?

Thank you so much.:naughty:

My dad keeps wanting to tag along to any concert that I go to (trying to recapture his youth, I suppose) and I'm always like, "DAD. You can come if you want, but you can't act like a dad. In fact, you stay on one side of the stage, and I'll stay on the other.":thumbdown:

I understand that he likes rock concerts, and his friends are...well, they're old fogies who don't like to go out and head bang, but I mean, come on! He would never have gone to a concert with his dad when he was my age!

NO NO NO NO NO! No more American Publicity

If that's the case, then send him over to the Asia-Pacific region...

We'll give him load of publicity...

Agreed, but he's been at a big disadvantage in the US. Mainly because they don't play his music on the radio. I think that anything to get him noticed, and get Americans onto youtube, is a great thing. I also agree it's a shame he didn't get more famous under his own steam, so to speak, and is getting known because of Katy instead, but we just have to bite the bullet here. It's a means to an end and once people know him, it won't matter who helped him get famous because everyone will know how great he is!

Let's face it, not naming any names, but there are "stars" out there who are famous, not for their work, but because of what they get up to away from work. Those "stars" end up with all the publicity, become big, and win awards.

I see no harm in Mika getting some publicity. He's not doing anything wrong and he and Katy are friends! It's all good.

I agree Marilyn...

I think that he has been played here in Serbia more that in US! They play him in stores or supermarkets,bakers,you know,places like that. Some friends even told me they played him on the radio for a few times,but I didn't hear it...

Sounds like Australia...

Well, those who fear Mika will become super popular due to a couple mentions in tabloids that take up a few inches on one page should rest assured that this won't be picked up on by the majority of the population. I know that I sometimes glance at the covers at the grocery store when I'm bored waiting to check out, and countless others don't even bother doing that. In any case, the majority don't hang their every word on what's written on those pages, and most times they probably don't even look at them.

In order to achieve success in the US, Mika has to be more than someone who peeks his head out only once in a while. Those artists who are on the tips of everyone's tongues are constantly doing publicity, touring extensively, and putting out new material that keeps more than just the hardcore few interested... horizontally integrating their image so that you can buy a billion posters and other pieces of merchandise that constantly scream the artist's name at you and everyone else. They shout, "BUY! LISTEN! BUY!" And once that ritual stops, they tend to be forgotten about (except by the major fans) until they pump out the next thing.

Perhaps Mika is happy being less known here. If it were that heartbreaking to him that the average person on the street doesn't know who he is, he'd be working super hard to continue to putting himself out there in the US. Maybe he likes being able to walk down the streets here, go to his favorite bars, etc. without being mobbed. Like someone already said, he does at the present time have his core audience who will persist in buying his records and concert tickets no matter what. And he has achieved success in other parts of the world. It seems like he's just moved on from trying to hit the mainstream in this country (or maybe he's planning his massive plan to take over US airwaves as we speak... but, we just don't know).

That bold bit should really be aimed at Australia, New Zealand and Asia...

I know of a lot of people who are mega famous in Australia and the UK, but aren't exactly big in the US... Delta Goodrem and Kylie Minogue anyone?

About the only Aussie artist/s that I know of that have done very well in the US are Savage Garden... :bow:

Love Darren and Daniel... and Jerry was part of their management team...

I wish all the world of success for Mika as well! But, should we, he or anyone else consider him to be NOT completely successful just because he never broke into America *the way one would imagine the mainstream-ness-ess-ess of say Justin Timberlake or such?

In my opinion he is hugely successful he does not NEED mainstream America.

Not one bit

If he doesn't need mainstream America, then send him our way...

I agree about the second album. I don't see any evidence of his not wanting to break America. They seem to prefer American artists there (I know he's got an American father, and US citizenship, but Mika just doesn't come accross as American) Lots of UK artists don't make the big push needed with their first album, as the effort, as someone else has already said, is huge, and the home/"easier" markets would have had to be neglected. Amy Winehouse's first album wasn't even released in the US until after her second. The pattern seems to be home success- momentum- America.

Mind, I wouldn't say he was "huge" in the UK.

I think he's just waiting his time. He can't really do any more with his first album and this sort of publicity might help with his second- if it's out anytime soon.

Delta Goodrem has released her 3rd studio album, and she's starting to push into the US market... she released the first 2 albums together, and it didn't do well... she's going for it again...

I honestly don't see why America seems to be so important... people can be hugely popular without being successful in the US...

I heard somewhere on the forums (Possibly just gossip, mind you) that Erase wasn't really his favorite song, and that he wasn't enthusiastic about it being put on the album. Maybe that's why he doesn't perform it live?

It's not my favorite, anyhow. A bit too Auto-Tune-ish sounding for my taste.

Just a bit auto-tune-ish :naughty:...

They just aren't used to men wearing actual jewelry and not just "bling".

Flash the ting! :punk:

Oooooh, Desmond Childs. *swoons*

I can't believe Mika worked with him. He's a legend!

He also worked with Hanson on Middle of Nowhere... :fisch:

Me too. I've heard the demo version of GK. Hilarious, but rough, very rough.

Meeks has the raw talent, but I hope his style got a bit of Desmond's polish.

You have heard the demo of Love Today?

That is scary sh!t :shocked:...

I am NOT anti-american BUT.... I hate how the world perceives us. And it is NOT the world's fault.... it is the WAY America conducts itself....

I am SO tired of America........

Sorry... I had to spell check...

Can i say that generally, I agree?

Yeah- I was leaping to that conclusion.

But it's odd the way Mika's "alternative" in the States, "teen dream" in France and "for the 50 something mum" in the UK. And I must admit I've not come accross anyone under 25 who likes him. AND it's my church friends that like him, rather than my work friends.

I mean, I'm very fat, 46, and an accountant (worse, an auditor)- and people think HE's not cool enough for ME to like. Could they be more damning! (Or more wrong!)

What is he in Australia?

No really, what is he? Is he the shunned one (cause he's shunning us)?

:shocked: . . . OK, I'M DONE,

SAID MY PIECE--

THIS IS GETTING WAY TOO HEAVY

FOR ME TO DEAL WITH --

STlogo.gif

AS YOU WERE: CARRY ON . . .

*gigglesnort*

Love the sheepy...

What I wanted to say about the Katy and Mika pic is, I like it... he can't just do his concerts and record albums and such...

Though I'd much prefer him to get to recording the bloody album...

If he doesn't need mainstream America, then send him our way...

These things are all relative. He doesn't need mainstream America to sell more than twice as many albums in the US as he has done in Australia.

When people speak of Mika not being "popular", they are talking relative to the general American population. He is still selling more albums in the US than anywhere else in the world outside of the UK and France.

Combined with huge sales in Canada (both in terms of units and relative to the population), North America is a bigger market for him than all of Western Europe combined outside of the UK and France. He is going to spend more time focusing on NA than he does on many other markets. It's inevitable.

Mika's potential in the US is still huge. Just because his first album didn't launch him to #1 on Billboard does not mean he has no hope of ever breaking through. I think that's a ridiculous assumption when he has achieved far more with his first album than hundreds of other artists who are now more well known. It's not some automatic trajectory to launch an album and become an overnight sensation. Many bigger names than Mika have had to work for it.

This thing about radio stations saying they "can't" play him. It's all down to timing and luck. First of all Mika needs to have a single in release. Radio stations don't just put random songs into high rotation because someone calls up and asks to have it played so you're wasting your time calling them 6 months or a year after the fact.

And yes there's a very small window of opportunity. If some network made a decision to put Grace Kelly on and it didn't go anywhere they may have pulled it immediately and decided to ignore the rest of his releases. Especially when a song like Love Today is categorized as dance in America and not Top 40.

But tomorrow is another day. I don't believe Mika has been permanently blacklisted by every single radio station in the US will never have another chance to get radio airplay for the rest of his career. It's obviously a possibility he will never have that kind of mainstream success but he's got another 20 years to give it a shot. It's far too soon to write him off at this point.

These things are all relative. He doesn't need mainstream America to sell more than twice as many albums in the US as he has done in Australia.

When people speak of Mika not being "popular", they are talking relative to the general American population. He is still selling more albums in the US than anywhere else in the world outside of the UK and France.

Combined with huge sales in Canada (both in terms of units and relative to the population), North America is a bigger market for him than all of Western Europe combined outside of the UK and France. He is going to spend more time focusing on NA than he does on many other markets. It's inevitable.

Mika's potential in the US is still huge. Just because his first album didn't launch him to #1 on Billboard does not mean he has no hope of ever breaking through. I think that's a ridiculous assumption when he has achieved far more with his first album than hundreds of other artists who are now more well known. It's not some automatic trajectory to launch an album and become an overnight sensation. Many bigger names than Mika have had to work for it.

This thing about radio stations saying they "can't" play him. It's all down to timing and luck. First of all Mika needs to have a single in release. Radio stations don't just put random songs into high rotation because someone calls up and asks to have it played so you're wasting your time calling them 6 months or a year after the fact.

And yes there's a very small window of opportunity. If some network made a decision to put Grace Kelly on and it didn't go anywhere they may have pulled it immediately and decided to ignore the rest of his releases. Especially when a song like Love Today is categorized as dance in America and not Top 40.

But tomorrow is another day. I don't believe Mika has been permanently blacklisted by every single radio station in the US will never have another chance to get radio airplay for the rest of his career. It's obviously a possibility he will never have that kind of mainstream success but he's got another 20 years to give it a shot. It's far too soon to write him off at this point.

INDEED, INDEED, INDEED!

TIME WILL TELL!

INDEED, INDEED, INDEED!

TIME WILL TELL!

From "the horse's mouth" . . .

Q How do you feel when people say your music is too dance-y, too campy, too gay for the U.S.A.?

A Um, I think there may be a little of that. And I know when I was trying to get "Grace Kelly" on the radio in the U.S., we had one station come back and say "We can't play a song that has a man saying he wants to be like a woman." Of course, that infuriates me. But I'm certainly not going to let that stop me. ...

I think there is no such thing as "too much anything" when it comes to music. That goes against the whole premise of music. But when it comes to commerce and they have to sell toothpaste next to your song, then it becomes too something else.

From "the horse's mouth" . . .

Q How do you feel when people say your music is too dance-y, too campy, too gay for the U.S.A.?

A Um, I think there may be a little of that.

Um, there is a LOT more then a little! :naughty: