To the left, to the left, Lefty Thread!

tauruslady

I hope there is no thread like this already, sorry if there is.

leftorium_400.jpg

OK, well I'm left handed, and lately I've been doing a lot of research and reading on all things to the left. And I was really surprised at what I found!

Leftys only make up about 10% of the worlds population!

I always knew there were fewer than right handed people, but I didn't expect such a low percentage.

And there are so many twisted stories in the history of being left handed, how it was beaten out of people, and how it was linked to the devil etc...(but we know we're lovely people really:das:) :naughty:

here's the wikipedia link (yes it is is wikipedia so... :rolleyes: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handed

Anyway, I thought a thread about this might be interesting, just to see how many MFCers are leftys. (maybe a poll could be added?)

Or even if you aren't left handed but have something to say about it, welcome!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope there is no thread like this already, sorry if there is.

leftorium_400.jpg

OK, well I'm left handed, and lately I've been doing a lot of research and reading on all things to the left. And I was really surprised at what I found!

Leftys only make up about 10% of the worlds population!

I always knew there were fewer than right handed people, but I didn't expect such a low percentage.

And there are so many twisted stories in the history of being left handed, how it was beaten out of people, and how it was linked to the devil etc...(but we know we're lovely people really:das:) :naughty:

here's the wikipedia link (yes it is is wikipedia so... :rolleyes: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handed

Anyway, I thought a thread about this might be interesting, just to see how many MFCers are leftys. (maybe a poll could be added?)

Or even if you aren't left handed but have something to say about it, welcome!

Wow, only 10 %!:shocked:

I know about the twisted story's.

Everyone also always says the handwriting of lefties is less neat than the handwriting of a rightie.

I'm a lefty btw:bleh:

my son is a lefty!

funny story is when he was in kintergarden, he got a bad mark on "using scissors" and i didn't know why. over a weekend, i noticed that the scissors i had bought him were for right handed people.:bleh: bought him lefty scissors and he got an A in "using scissors" :naughty:

he hates hearing that story :bleh:

my son is a lefty!

funny story is when he was in kintergarden, he got a bad mark on "using scissors" and i didn't know why. over a weekend, i noticed that the scissors i had bought him were for right handed people.:bleh: bought him lefty scissors and he got an A in "using scissors" :naughty:

he hates hearing that story :bleh:

Do they actually give grades in kindergarten?:blink:

I'm asking because I used to work as a teacher and in my country we don't do that!

The children are so small and things can change so quickly at this young age.

I'm a leftie!

My mum and my sister are lefties as well! Actually, until I was about 14, I thought all girls were left handed and all boys were right handed (I had firends who were left handed as well, and in my family that's how it was till my niece was born)

Mum's the only leftie in her family for a lot of generations... on Dad's side, my grandfather and uncle are/were left handed (well, my grandfather has died, but he was a leftie... and my uncle is as well)...

My mum went to a catholic school when she was younger, and used to get the cane for using her left hand (she was taught by nuns, and it seems they liked to use corporal punishment)...

Do any lefties use their right hand for certain things? I bat right handed... And I can't use left handed scissors (I've gotten used to using right handed scissors)...

Sienna: I don't know about Canada, but in New South Wales (where I am), Kindergarten children get marked according to aprticular outcomes and indicators... but Kindergarten is considered part of school (school starts at age 5)...

Do they actually give grades in kindergarten?:blink:

I'm asking because I used to work as a teacher and in my country we don't do that!

The children are so small and things can change so quickly at this young age.

well the grades are to let us know if he is having problems with something...

like handling scissors, catching a ball, skipping rope, interacting with other kids, pronouncing words, etc... not necessarily academic, but in general. so if anything needs to be corrected or practiced before they start grade 1. but nobody doesn't pass kintergarden, it is more to keep parents informed of their progress.

i'm very thankful for it, without it i wouldn't have known the wrong scissors at school.

here are some facts i found

-more men than women are lefties.

-Many think that Lefties have an advantage in fist fighting.

-left handed stroke victims recover faster than right handed stroke victims

-10% of the human population is left handed.

-some theorize that lefties are more likely to be creative geniuses (many geniuses throughout history were lefties Leonardo Da Vinci, Bobby Fisher a chess genius, wynton Marselis)

-"Southpaw" describes lefties particularly in US sports

-Left-handers were severely discriminated against during the 18th and 19th centuries and it was often "beaten out" of people

-In adulthood, left-handers were often shunned by society, resulting in fewer marrying and reproducing

-As discrimination was reduced in the 20th century, the number of natural left-handers who stayed left-handed increased

-The rising age of motherhood contributed as, statistically, older mothers are more likely to give birth to left-handed children

I am not a lefty!

*hangs head in shame*

:shocked:

i read on a website that lefties are said to be prettier that righties. i told my friend and shes like THATS NOT TRUE. ALL LEFTIES ARE HIDIOUS, AND IT WAS SOME LEFT-HANDED FREAK THAT WROTE THAT I BET, AND WROTE WHAT THEY WANTED! YOURE ALL FREAKS! im like "and your a loser who gets defensive on everything."

i read on a website that lefties are said to be prettier that righties. i told my friend and shes like THATS NOT TRUE. ALL LEFTIES ARE HIDIOUS, AND IT WAS SOME LEFT-HANDED FREAK THAT WROTE THAT I BET, AND WROTE WHAT THEY WANTED! YOURE ALL FREAKS! im like "and your a loser who gets defensive on everything."

:floor: :floor: :floor:

The state of which hand you write or cut meat with has nothing to do with your face or overall bodytype :blink: You can force yourself to be left handed, or right handed.

but your brain does work in reverse order on some things, causing ppl to think differently (mainly lefties use visualizing)

I can't move the computermouse with my left hand for some strange reason:naughty:

I have to use a mouse right handed during the day so I get used to it...

then I get on my laptop and use the pad, so I sort of use my left hand...

here are some facts i found

-more men than women are lefties.

-Many think that Lefties have an advantage in fist fighting.

-left handed stroke victims recover faster than right handed stroke victims

-10% of the human population is left handed.

-some theorize that lefties are more likely to be creative geniuses (many geniuses throughout history were lefties Leonardo Da Vinci, Bobby Fisher a chess genius, wynton Marselis)

-"Southpaw" describes lefties particularly in US sports

-Left-handers were severely discriminated against during the 18th and 19th centuries and it was often "beaten out" of people

-In adulthood, left-handers were often shunned by society, resulting in fewer marrying and reproducing

-As discrimination was reduced in the 20th century, the number of natural left-handers who stayed left-handed increased

-The rising age of motherhood contributed as, statistically, older mothers are more likely to give birth to left-handed children

Funny that... mum had her first leftie at 21, and the second leftie (me) at 24...

I am not a lefty!

*hangs head in shame*

*pats Bekka*

That's okay...

Oh yeah! :kachinga: