• 2 months later...
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do, when i got the time, yes...:thumb_yello:

Wanna recipe for the dough???

all I know about pizza dough recepies is that throw the flour and the water and the what not into the bread maker and wair 90 minutes :aah:

it comes out real nice though... :wub2:

Sounds REALLY yummy! :drool:

It's a drink from Mexico and Spain, I think.

It sounds really good...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata

that sure sounds nice- and not too hard to make... im with wonks on that one! where are the spanish laydees? :naughty:

how have I missed this thread? :wub2:

Home » Recipes » Recipes by Cuisine » Mexican Recipes » Mexican Drinks - Bebidas Recipes » Cold Beverages Recipes {1} ##LOC[OK]## {1} ##LOC[OK]## ##LOC[Cancel]## {1} ##LOC[OK]## ##LOC[Cancel]##

Mexican Horchata

A refreshing cold drink made of rice, almonds, cinnamon (canella), lime zest and sugar. This drink is rumored to be a cure for a hangover and is frequently served at breakfast time. Even though the drink has a milky appearance it is completely dairy-free.

History

According to Sophie Coe in America's First Cuisine's, horchata was an old-world drink brought to the new world by the Spaniards and later enjoyed too by the Aztecs. In Spain horchata was made with with ground melon seeds but given the seeds were not available in the new world the Spaniards substituted the readily available squash seeds. Later almonds and rice were brought to the new world and incorporated into the drink as it is prepared today.

Yield: Serves: 6 - 7 User Rating:

Not Yet Rated!

view all comments (0) RecipeRate/Review.

Ingredients

6 tablespoons rice

6 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) blanched almonds

1 inch cinnamon stick (canella)

3 "2-inch" strips of lime zest (rind only, not the white pithy part) 3/4" long

1 cup white granulated sugar

Instructions

The traditional way to make horchata is with a metate y mano. For those of us less adventurous, or simple those with less time, we can use a blender.

Pulverize the rice using a metate y mano or your blender. Grind the mixture as smooth as possible. Combine the rice with the almonds, cinnamon and lime zest. Stir in 2 1/4 cups hot tap water then cover and let the mixture stand overnight (minimally 6 hours).

Place the mixture in the blender jar and blend for at least 3 - 5 minutes until the mixture is smooth and no long has a gritty texture. Add 2 cups of water and blend again for just a few seconds. Place a large sieve over a mixing bowl. Line the sieve with 3 layers of damp cheesecloth. Pour in the rice mixture, a little at a time and keep stirring to help the mixture go through the sieve. Once all the liquid has passed through to the bowl gather the cloth together at the top, give it a twist and squeeze out any additional liquid.

Now add 2 more cups of water and stir in as much sugar as you'd like, to taste. If the mixture is too thick, add some additional water.

Cover and refrigerate. The drink should keep several days, refrigerated.

Serve in a tall glass over ice.

yeah I understood nothing... :aah:

all I know about pizza dough recepies is that throw the flour and the water and the what not into the bread maker and wair 90 minutes :aah:

it comes out real nice though... :wub2:

that sure sounds nice- and not too hard to make... im with wonks on that one! where are the spanish laydees? :naughty:

how have I missed this thread? :wub2:

I used to make it from scratch, until i got a Bimby food processor...:thumb_yello:

Do you know what that is? Not just bread maker, it makes all kindof of dough, pastry etc...

No more strenght waste on the kitchen ever since...:biggrin2:

• 3 months later...

Just tried this recipe from my granny for today's lunch desert...

It's called Hot&Cold, ice cream and hot choc sauce on top...

I'll post the recipe soon...it kindof looks like this...

quente_e_frio-img1562-1_0_0_normal.jpg

:shocked: now that looks yummy.... will you share the recipe? or is that a secret :fisch:

:naughty:

I'll have to translate the recipe, post it in the afternoon...

Ingredients are basic and it's quite easy to do...:thumb_yello:

Unless you don't have this kind of cookies there...:shocked:

bolachas.jpg

Do you?

It's called Bolacha Maria here, kids favorites...:wink2:

Edited by willywonka

bolachas.jpg

Do you?

I don't know if we do. . . can you substitue with different cookies?

Hi everybody!

I love cooking, esp. baking cakes.

Yesterday I made some muffins for my friends birthday and give them a special style. My friend loves pig ans so she gets 20 pigs to eat.

22337123734034679516278.jpg

So as promised this morning, the cookie cake recipe:

300 grs of biscuits (any you may have but preferably like the ones i posted above)

250 gr of margarine (room temperature)

150 gr sugar

1 tablespoon of coffee

2 eggs

a bowl of hot strong sweet coffee

Mix softly sugar and margarine, then add the eggs.

Also add a tablespoon of diluted coffee until you get an homogeneous smooth and soft cream.

Prepare a bowl of hot strong sweet coffee where you'll dip the cookies, one by one and make piles until you form the above shape...

DSC02797%5B3%5D.jpg

Remember not to leave it on coffee too long or it'll melt, just enough time to get it soft...like 2 or 3 secs...

Add a layer of cream to each layer of cookies and cover it up when you're done...

Edited by willywonka

Hi everybody!

I love cooking, esp. baking cakes.

Yesterday I made some muffins for my friends birthday and give them a special style. My friend loves pig ans so she gets 20 pigs to eat.

22337123734034679516278.jpg

Oh, those are so cute, what are they made of? Marzipan?

Ooh that looks amazing, Wonka :drool:

Try it, it's so very easy, it'll take you 10 mins to do and it's waaaay cool...:thumb_yello:

Oh, I forgot, you have to put it on the fridge so it gets a bit cold, it's better cold...

Try it, it's so very easy, it'll take you 10 mins to do and it's waaaay cool...:thumb_yello:

Oh, I forgot, you have to put it on the fridge so it gets a bit cold, it's better cold...

It depends if my mom wants to get the ingredients...."You don't need it!" is what she always says. :sneaky2:

It depends if my mom wants to get the ingredients...."You don't need it!" is what she always says. :sneaky2:

:blink:

Uh?

You don't need wot? Desert?

Why?

Everyone needs something sweet now and then...

When it comes to bitterness, we have life already...:wink2:

bolachas.jpg

Do you?

we have some that look really similar to that. some people dip those in tea or milk

i have a recipe for a dessert called "sex in the pan" ... perfect summer dessert. :mf_rosetinted: