Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

AH! I was just thinkng about this thread earlier :biggrin2:

I'm reading Nights At The Circus by Angela Carter by Mika's reccomendation :naughty: It takes a lot of brain power. You kinda have to reread parts of it to make sense of it. It's not easy to absorb, I guess would be the best way to put it. But her images are beautiful and even if her characters are a bit crude and vulgar her writing is somehow sophisicated.

Anyway, the book is about a a woman who works in a circus as an aerailist. She's special because she has wings, but she doesn't really let people see her up close so there's a lot of speculation as to whether or not she is real. And as Mika said Carter finds a way to mix fantasy into a realistic setting. I'm not very far through it yet. I'm reading kinda slow, trying to pick up on everything, but so far I love it :wub2:

"At that, she turned her immense eyes upon him, those eyes 'made for the stage' whose messages could be read from standing room in the gods. Night had darkened their colour; their irises were now purple, matching the Parma violets in front of her mirror, and the pupils had grown so fat on darkness that the entire dressing-room and all those within it could have vanished without a trace inside those compelling voids. Walser felt the strangest sensation, as if these eyes of the aerailist were a pair of sets of Chinese boxes, as if each one opened into a world into a world into a world, an infinite plurality of worlds, and these unguessable depth exercised the strongest possible attraction, so that he felt himself trembling as if he too, stood on an unknown threshold."

See what I mean? A bit wordy and yet beautiful. Such a wonderful description of one moment of a man looking into a woman's eyes :wub2:

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, I'm gonna have to read that! Wish I would've stopped by this thread before going to the library. :naughty:

I picked up The Almost Moon which is by the same author of The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold. I'll let you know how it is.

Ooh, I'm gonna have to read that! Wish I would've stopped by this thread before going to the library. :naughty:

I picked up The Almost Moon which is by the same author of The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold. I'll let you know how it is.

Yes, do tell. I really am enjoying 'The Lovely Bones'. I am curious to know if her other book is any good.

The more I read the easier it is to absorb and understand :naughty:

I've been meaning to read The Lovely Bones. I've heard it's amazing.

Is there any book that any of you would recommend to me, so that I can read it for English class? I have to read a book and talk about it in front of the class.. So something without any shocking content, 'cause I don't like having to tell all about someone having sex or commiting suicide in front of the class. :teehee:

Is there any book that any of you would recommend to me, so that I can read it for English class? I have to read a book and talk about it in front of the class.. So something without any shocking content, 'cause I don't like having to tell all about someone having sex or commiting suicide in front of the class. :teehee:

Well, what level do you need? Like what grade level?

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower was an amazing book. Easy read and I think it has about 200 pages. Maybe...

And I loved A Mango Shaped Space but I dunno how long it was. I think it was long enough.

And...I've read so many book I can't remember.

I love Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. he's very witty and his books are definitely long enough :thumb_yello:

My teacher just told me it had to be at least 70-80 pages. :lmfao: I think that's not enough for me. :teehee: I like books with lots of pages.

Thanks, I'll look those up! :wink2: Am gonna get The Perks Of Being A Wallflower from the library.

Btw, I love the "when life gives you lemons, modify their DNA and make super lemons" in you sig. :naughty:

Edited by Shikutukumimika

Yes, do tell. I really am enjoying 'The Lovely Bones'. I am curious to know if her other book is any good.

I finished. Based on reading both of her books, she seems to organize them in the same way, and doesn't end them the way you want them to end. I didn't really like it. Most of it was just filler of flashbacks and the end was kind of lame. :naughty:

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower was an amazing book. Easy read and I think it has about 200 pages. Maybe...

And I loved A Mango Shaped Space but I dunno how long it was. I think it was long enough.

And...I've read so many book I can't remember.

I love Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. he's very witty and his books are definitely long enough :thumb_yello:

I don't understand why everyone loves that book. I thought it was very dull. Boring. :naughty:

My teacher just told me it had to be at least 70-80 pages. :lmfao: I think that's not enough for me. :teehee: I like books with lots of pages.

Thanks, I'll look those up! :wink2: Am gonna get The Perks Of Being A Wallflower from the library.

Btw, I love the "when life gives you lemons, modify their DNA and make super lemons" in you sig. :naughty:

That seems rather short, doesn't it? :blink:

Anyway, I hope you like it and let me know what you think :wink2:

And thanks :naughty:

I don't understand why everyone loves that book. I thought it was very dull. Boring. :naughty:

Hmm...I don't know. it's been a while since I read it and I really just remember reading it and thinking "Wow, that was good."

:naughty:

The next book I'm going to read (I'll start tonight :lol3:) is "Slumdog Millionaire" (previously published as "Q & A") by Vikas Swarup. I saw the movie close to when it came out. It's weird 'cause I usually read the book BEFORE seeing the movie. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Re-read the whole thread, with the site of my library in another tab, so I could check all the books that seemed to be interesting enough out. :naughty: The librabry opens on tuesday (and all the other days of the week, except for monday and sunday) so I'm going there tuesday and I'll come back with lots of books.

And has anyone read Tomorrow, when the war began and the rest of these series? I love them.

That seems rather short, doesn't it? :blink:

Anyway, I hope you like it and let me know what you think :wink2:

And thanks :naughty:

Yes.. I thought so too. :teehee:

They didn't have it. :sneaky2: Their website said they did.

I'm reading Nights At The Circus by Angela Carter by Mika's reccomendation :naughty: It takes a lot of brain power. You kinda have to reread parts of it to make sense of it. It's not easy to absorb, I guess would be the best way to put it. But her images are beautiful and even if her characters are a bit crude and vulgar her writing is somehow sophisicated.

Anyway, the book is about a a woman who works in a circus as an aerailist. She's special because she has wings, but she doesn't really let people see her up close so there's a lot of speculation as to whether or not she is real. And as Mika said Carter finds a way to mix fantasy into a realistic setting. I'm not very far through it yet. I'm reading kinda slow, trying to pick up on everything, but so far I love it :wub2:

"At that, she turned her immense eyes upon him, those eyes 'made for the stage' whose messages could be read from standing room in the gods. Night had darkened their colour; their irises were now purple, matching the Parma violets in front of her mirror, and the pupils had grown so fat on darkness that the entire dressing-room and all those within it could have vanished without a trace inside those compelling voids. Walser felt the strangest sensation, as if these eyes of the aerailist were a pair of sets of Chinese boxes, as if each one opened into a world into a world into a world, an infinite plurality of worlds, and these unguessable depth exercised the strongest possible attraction, so that he felt himself trembling as if he too, stood on an unknown threshold."

See what I mean? A bit wordy and yet beautiful. Such a wonderful description of one moment of a man looking into a woman's eyes :wub2:

I bought that book a couple of weeks ago, I'm gonna read it when I have nothing to read for school etc. I've read her stories before and I loved them.

I have this book and The Magic Toyshop on hold at the library. I'm so excited to read them :blush-anim-cl:

Oh, and I still have to read Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder.

It's "The national bestseller" So says the cover. It's a novel about the history of hilosophy.

I've been wanting to read that forever. For like more than a year. I keep telling myself "after I finish those books and the ones I have to read for school, oh and those that I want to read too.." But I've got two weeks of holidays now, so I AM GOING TO READ IT. Although I also have to study really hard. :teehee: But I'll have enough time to read.

I've got this "To read" list, with all the books I want and need to read, and currently there are like 30 books on it. :teehee:

I bought that book a couple of weeks ago, I'm gonna read it when I have nothing to read for school etc. I've read her stories before and I loved them.

This ismy first time reading her and I love it. I'm considering 'losing' the book and paying the library for it :naughty:

I have this book and The Magic Toyshop on hold at the library. I'm so excited to read them :blush-anim-cl:

I want that one too but my library doesn't have it :no:

I wanted to read that, but haven't had the time yet. This week I'm going to look if they have it at the libary. I would read everything that Mika says he read :naughty:

Not that long ago Mika mentioned a book of Julian Barnes, but I can't remember where and now I started to doubt whether I am mistaken. Does anyone alse may know it?

Am happy I saw this thread. I was looking for English books to read.I have looked in amazon, but there are so many books, it's difficult to chose one. I have see here some books that looks interesting.

I myself really liked the Twilight books. I also read the first to books from the Vampire Diaries. I liked them, but I liked Twilight more. I think that's especially because Twilight is about a girl that is a little of an outsider and Vampire Diaries is about a populair girl. I can more relate to Bella.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading The Anglofiles by Sarah Lyall (a book about British culture) and Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan (a gay love story that takes place in high school). I really liked them both. :thumb_yello:

And now I shall begin reading Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter :yay: