Mika's new bio (2009)

Blue Sky

80ac6b4e78241b2cacdf313ffe710125.jpg

By now it is clear that Mika is not as other artists are. His surname could just as well be ‘Singular’. Enveloped in an imaginative musical world of his own creation, he is one of the few British male pop stars of his age that doesn’t run with the pack. Classically trained, racially mixed and prone to theatrical physical gesture, he has become a scion of ambitiously delivered self-expression. He says his music can be condensed easily, ‘the basic principals are that it is joyful and empowering and doesn’t cowtow to fashion or convention,’ calling to mind an old and almost forgotten pop notion: individuality.

Mika opened his pop career with the defining single Grace Kelly. It has sold almost 3million copies worldwide and was only the second British single to top the chart on downloads alone. His total single sales from Life In Cartoon Motion add up beyond six million. The album itself bagged over 5million till receipts. Mika was nominated for and won awards from the Brits, the Grammys, the Ivor Novellos, Capital Radio, Q magazine, The World Music Awards, BT and Vodaphone, Virgin Media and MTV’s Europe, Asia, Australia and Japan, amongst others. But the statistics only hint at the strident grip he boldly took on pop music when he entered its fray; they are the neat vindication that one of pop’s biggest outsiders could conquer from within.

From http://mikasounds.com/about and photo from Mika's own gallery. (think it is quite old....)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By now it is clear that Mika is not as other artists are. His surname could just as well be ‘Singular’. Enveloped in an imaginative musical world of his own creation, he is one of the few British male pop stars of his age that doesn’t run with the pack. Classically trained, racially mixed and prone to theatrical physical gesture, he has become a scion of ambitiously delivered self-expression. He says his music can be condensed easily, ‘the basic principals are that it is joyful and empowering and doesn’t cowtow to fashion or convention,’ calling to mind an old and almost forgotten pop notion: individuality.

Mika opened his pop career with the defining single Grace Kelly. It has sold almost 3million copies worldwide and was only the second British single to top the chart on downloads alone. His total single sales from Life In Cartoon Motion add up beyond six million. The album itself bagged over 5million till receipts. Mika was nominated for and won awards from the Brits, the Grammys, the Ivor Novellos, Capital Radio, Q magazine, The World Music Awards, BT and Vodaphone, Virgin Media and MTV’s Europe, Asia, Australia and Japan, amongst others. But the statistics only hint at the strident grip he boldly took on pop music when he entered its fray; they are the neat vindication that one of pop’s biggest outsiders could conquer from within.

From http://mikasounds.com/about and photo from Mika's own gallery. (think it is quite old....)

:shocked: that is one amazing picture.

aww sweet:wub2: thanks for posting:thumb_yello:

thanks for posting,i would never find it there by myself:naughty:

so i guess i'm the only one who doesn't like this pic of him at all:blink:

I saw this bio on Mikasounds the other day and thought two things:

1) They waited for THIS? I mean, it wasn't on the site from day 1, so I

was thinking that the "ABOUT" page was going to have some great in-depth

bio and interview or something... that's what I assumed the long wait was

for.

2) What does "racially mixed" mean? Is Lebanese a different race? I'm being

serious. I'm only going by what I've seen when I've filled out census forms or other forms like that, and the only races I know of are: Caucasian/White, Hispanic, Asian, Black, American Indian, Pacific Islander... and I think that's

about it. Is Lebanese or Arabic or Middle Eastern considered a different race in other parts

of the world? I'm genuinely curious. :blink:

Edited by dcdeb

serious. I'm only going by what I've seen when I've filled out census forms or other forms like that, and the only races I know of are: Caucasian/White, Hispanic, Asian, Black, American Indian, Pacific Islander... and I think that's

about it. Is Lebanese or Arabic or Middle Eastern considered a different race in other parts

biologically spoken, there is no longer a classification of races or subspecies for the human species, because of the lack of measurable genetical evidence. All humans are genetically too mixed up to actually have enough differences to work upon, since there's just as much genetical difference in what was perceived as one distinct race, and boarders are too fleeting between these 'races'. Such classifications are outdated, on the scientific level :wink2:

ohh very gorgeous photo :wub2:

Exactly my thoughts, Deb. He's not racially mixed. He's caucasian, end of.

This was obviously written by someone who doesn't have a very clear idea of what they are talking about :roftl:. Maybe it's the same person who deals with the YT vids, multitasking :naughty:.

Oh, and for the record, I find that picture horrific. Mika is a very photogenic guy, but this picture is NOT one of his best by very, very far :lmao:

biologically spoken, there is no longer a classification of races or subspecies for the human species, because of the lack of measurable genetical evidence. All humans are genetically too mixed up to actually have enough differences to work upon, since there's just as much genetical difference in what was perceived as one distinct race, and boarders are too fleeting between these 'races'. Such classifications are outdated, on the scientific level :wink2:

I'm afraid that in the medical field, many would disagree with what you said here.

There are very clear differences between races when it comes to medicine, in the sense that some races are far more prone than others to certain disease (like for example thalassaemia and sickle cell anaemia).

Certain human races are predisposed to certain illnesses, and these differences are important to the point that the race of the patient will dictate the treatment that they receive.

I'm afraid that in the medical field, many would disagree with what you said here.

There are very clear differences between races when it comes to medicine, in the sense that some races are far more prone than others to certain disease (like for example thalassaemia and sickle cell anaemia).

Certain human races are predisposed to certain illnesses, and these differences are important to the point that the race of the patient will dictate the treatment that they receive.

Other examples of race/origin determined disease could also be: Cystic Fibrosis in Europeans, and Tay-Sachs disease in Jewish people.

don't want to go into detail here, but such differences don't qualify for a classification as a race. This is rather a question of adaption to certain parasites of a geographical population of humans (the area where malaria occurs). There is a genetical difference, but it's an answer to certain geographical/environmental issues, and not 'typical' for a genetically homogen 'race'. For example the people that live in Himalaya are not a different race just because they have adapted to high altitudes and are not as prone to any altitude related illnesses as other 'asians'.

Other examples of race/origin determined disease could also be: Cystic Fibrosis in Europeans, and Tay-Sachs disease in Jewish people.

as an exapmple for origin related... yes, but not race. Neither europeans nor jewish people are a race. They both fall into the same race, if you take the classification that was used up to the 1990s, before the 'races' got sacked.

Edited by harlequeen

don't want to go into detail here, but such differences don't qualify for a classification as a race. This is rather a question of adaption to certain parasites of a geographical population of humans (the area where malaria occurs). There is a genetical difference, but it's an answer to certain geographical/environmental issues, and not 'typical' for a genetically homogen 'race'. For example the people that live in Himalaya are not a different race just because they have adapted to high altitudes and are not as prone to any altitude related illnesses as other 'asians'.

as an exapmple for origin related... yes, but not race. Neither europeans nor jewish people are a race. They both fall into the same race, if you take the classification that was used up to the 1990s, before the 'races' got sacked.

Ok, I see your point, and I stand corrected when it comes to how I posted certain things. Of course Jews/Europeans are not races as such, but in general here are tons of differences where race is the determinant factor.

For example Cystic Fibrosis appears mostly in Caucasians.

South East Asians have a much higher propensity to a number of illnesses such as diabetes, high blood pressure and coronary heart disease, all these being determined genetically and independently of their lifestyle.

Also, their BMI ranges are different to those of the other races.

Many cancers tend to occur in massively different ways depending on races as well.

These facts are due to genetics and not to other external factors such as lifestyle related (which are, in turn, responsible for many cancers)

Afro Caribbeans suffer from a different type of high blood pressure to other races, so they are literally put on different medication to for example Caucasians. Sicke cell aneamia is also mainly displayed in people of African origin. This is the extent to how we are different.

Native Americans also even exhibit certain illnesses which are not seen in other races.

The list is long and it goes on and on....

How come we're talking about Cancer, Cystic Fibrosis and all that jazz...when this is a thread about Mika's Biography? LOL! Dearie me we certainly do go off-topic a tad :roftl: :roftl:

the greatest off topic ever! :roftl::roftl::roftl:

This picture is funny, it changes from his last promotional pictures. He looks so young on this one (when was it taken ?) - it's somehow a way to remember his beginning :biggrin2:

I'd say 2007 - On MS the pic is filed in an album titled American Press