First single -We Are Golden!!

Mary

Haven't posted on here at all yet as I wanted to actually have an opinion before stating it!

I remember hearing the LICM album sampler on Mikasounds and being overcome with excitement as each snippet came on. It felt like I knew every song the minute I heard them.

That was all part of the crazy start of the obssession as it will have been for so many others. I instantly loved everything about his work and it changed my life forever in a way that no other artist ever had.

So, OK, he's something special.:wub2:

So the anxiety about what comes next was warranted and I felt sick with nerves when I played the new stuff from the LA gig. Would they feel familiar like the LICM songs? Would they be as good? Or better even?

My gut feeling was..."oh, no, they're not what I was expecting" (whatever that menns???)..."what am I going to do if I don't like any more of his stuff???" I just kind of felt numb to them all.

By the time I bought the EP I had all four songs on repeat and realised that not only did I love every nuance of each one...but that I couln't decide on one over the rest.

How did that happen??:blink:

Well, I think it was because they were always brilliant, they were always Mika at his best, Mika evolving musically, Mika being more confident in making music.....but the anticipation and expectation overwhelmed me at the start.

When I heard the snippets of WAG the same thing happened mixed with "Hmmmm, what will Joe Public make of that?? Will people like him more or less? Does it represent the Mika we all know? Will the world at large "get it"?"

I wasn't just listening for my own pleasure, I was listening with the ear of the public and wanting to know what they would think.

With that feeling out of the way I can now listen and enjoy and get to know every note, word, etc and add it to the growing collection of songs that I love and that make such a difference to my life.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic .. I love 80s music , nothing really has come close since then for me .. Adam And The Ants , Depeche Mode , Go West .. endless list :wub2:

Yes, me too :wub2:. Brings back teenage memories (for me, that is :naughty:). I remember the very first broadcast from Musicbox (now MTV or TMF) in Holland. I had plans to go to an 80s music disco after the Xmasparty with Vicky and Rose but we ended up knackerd in our hotel before we got to the disco :roftl:.

I like WAG, tho the lyrics don't appeal to me (they don't bring the teenage memories back to me like 80s music does), I don't like the way he says we are golden and every now and then I think it is too screamy. Still, I love the fact that the song is so different from the other ones. Maybe I just have to get used to the song :wink2:.

but you know what?

i can see mika in a corner looking at all of us jibbing fans with a patronizing stare as thinking...'i'll catch you all in the end'.

and this annoys me even more!!!!!:aah:

:teehee:

Oh Robbie, that is so funny…and yes I think he is! :blush-anim-cl:

Of course he will…he’s Mika!:wink2:

Hah! I am as critical as they come, but you know what, I am just going to go with it. I like it. I think I will like it more, the more I hear it.

I've already heard it once on Radio 2 today so far.

I'm in a Mika lovin' mood.

He's a great performer, got lots of talent, is always surprising us and is very charismatic.

We (I) won't always like everything he does (I'm no yes woman) but even when I don't like certain songs, there is usually something I can appreciate about them and I know he has the capacity for greatness in the music arena, so I know better will come.

For all my whining, moaning and negativity, I can say this.

There's been no artist for years that I have taken to like I have taken to Mika and I guess I am in it for the long haul, whether he likes it or not!

PS Sari/Christine quote this for posterity if you like, I don't care :naughty:

I don’t quote it for any other reason than that I agree! :thumb_yello::roftl:

I'm nice!:naughty:

Off topic .. I love 80s music , nothing really has come close since then for me .. Adam And The Ants , Depeche Mode , Go West .. endless list :wub2:

Hmmmmm....Stuart Leslie Goddard...the first love of my life!! :wub2:

The first gig I ever went to when I was 12 was to see him and I went in full Antmusic outfit and Prince Charming make up!! :roftl:

Luckily for you it was before the days of digital photography!!! :naughty:

Something else that I was thinking yesterday is the way he's making music now has changed.

LICM was a piano album. Obviously the songs were padded out with the usual guitar/bass/drums/etc as they needed to be but it was definitely a man and his piano.

On WAG you would never guess that he was that piano man! He could be fronting a band or a solo singer but it's totally guitar/bass/drums music and I think it makes a real difference to how the song will be percieved.

Something else that I was thinking yesterday is the way he's making music now has changed.

LICM was a piano album. Obviously the songs were padded out with the usual guitar/bass/drums/etc as they needed to be but it was definitely a man and his piano.

On WAG you would never guess that he was that piano man! He could be fronting a band or a solo singer but it's totally guitar/bass/drums music and I think it makes a real difference to how the song will be percieved.

That's a very good point, and I hadn't thought of that, but it's definitely part of the 'feeling' that I got and now I can put my finger on it :thumb_yello:.

I'm still not particularly impressed. It's catchy but... it sounds like a High School Musical song :blink: Okay it's better but not really my thing. I'm pretty sure people will be fed up to hear it over and over on the radio :huh:

Then again I think it'll be so great live! the falsetto, the whispering...:wub2:

I thought you were a guy. And we're not allowed to mention mika's family, yano. this is a fan forum :thumb_yello:

Yes, I am a guy. So is Sire :wink2: .

We're not allowed to mention Fortuné but posting pics of him near in NYC, near the ice cream van is all right ? I am :confused: .

Incidentally Sire's family has often been mentioned on the threads. By many different MFCers. Quite lately re the Latitude gig.

Cheers,

ID3

That's a very good point, and I hadn't thought of that, but it's definitely part of the 'feeling' that I got and now I can put my finger on it :thumb_yello:.

Yeah, it took til yesterday to figure it out as it was nagging away and I also couldn't put my finger on what was different!

Pet Shop Boys... :wub2: (im simply insane with them today, as I am going to their only live concert here...)

I love this thread- seeing everyones point of view (and the are ALOT of them!)

I can actually see where everyone is coming from, and the first thing I thought of when i heard, is how Mika-ish it is (not anything like any of his other songs, but how it is so him, I can actually see him as a teenager, and what he is going through)

I could see him sing it- it is brilliantly genius- it sale-able, its catchy, its summerish and super fun

so I cant possibly say its his best, or close to it, but its fun, and crazy cool :biggrin2:

Mika just keeps surpsising me- that makes so much more special for me...

i did not want another GK! :naughty:

but i wanted to feel the same shock i felt when i heard GK the first time...sorry, not this time.

I don't know about you but that same shock could never happen for me again. The shock was learning that such an extraordinary talent existed in the first place. He's been in our faces for two and a half years now and we know everything about him down to his white boxer shorts. :teehee:

WAG surprised me more than I thought any new song could actually. I thought I'd sussed him out but he's still got a few tricks up his sleeve apparently.

and from some opinions expressed here, i'm still more convinced that this song is made to break the north american market!:biggrin2:

If it was that calculated Mika wouldn't have such an exceptionally pronounced English accent. That's going to be problematic I think.

You know Mika is partly American after all, as is Greg and some of the musicians and the Andrae Crouch choir. So it shouldn't surprise anyone if a track turns out sounding American.

but it keeps on leaving me totally emotionless and pretty irritated.

I think this sounds like an American song because it has the potential to appeal to Americans on an emotional level. It does for me anyway.

And excuse me, I am 30+ and I do not really believe that anyone at my age or above can fully identify with this song.

I guess I'm just really immature then. :teehee:

It was supposed to be on his Myspace today. :sneaky2:

At 9 am EST. (90 mins)

Enjoy it while it lasts Mika!

And take her gifts! :teehee:

Yes I was thinking about that and imagined if he gets radio play in the US that everyone will think MIKA is a group especially since the song is "we" are golden.

I think it's safe to say that many of the people who are critiquing in this thread have more than enough knowledge about Mika and what he has done.

I love the song and as Gata said somewhere way back I could pick out individual faults but I don't care to because altogether it works and that's all that matters. Mika is shamelessly pop and that's what this is.

I love the jarring twists from falsetto and back, from shout to whisper. There is a real authenticity to this song where it doesn't sound like a rip-off of a particular '80s song, but an actual original '80s song. And yeah it is vaguely reminiscent of a TV theme song in spots but nothing written for television is of this calibre. This is a #1 pop song.

A few people have said that it is lacking emotion and perhaps it is a cultural/age thing but in my world this is one of the "highest" Mika songs by far. It reminds me of summer and driving around and dancing and friends. I can't even describe it except to say that it mutes everything else and I don't even want to listen to Songs for Sorrow and LICM right now.

I crave novelty and it's sad that it seems there is really nothing left to be invented in music these days but I'm glad that Mika can at least come up with solid tracks different from anything else that he's done before.

Really I don't want to hear Grace Kelly v2.0. I have been waiting 2 years for something new and here it is.

I would have loved to post such a great post like yours, but as I couldn't, I can do nothing else but totally agree with you...:thumb_yello:

I luuuuve a bossy girl :wub2: ... makes me feel sorry I am not straight :tears: .

Cheers,

Id3

:shocked::mf_rosetinted:

Hah! I am as critical as they come, but you know what, I am just going to go with it. I like it. I think I will like it more, the more I hear it.

He's a great performer, got lots of talent, is always surprising us and is very charismatic.

We (I) won't always like everything he does (I'm no yes woman) but even when I don't like certain songs, there is usually something I can appreciate about them and I know he has the capacity for greatness in the music arena, so I know better will come.

There's been no artist for years that I have taken to like I have taken to Mika and I guess I am in it for the long haul, whether he likes it or not!

PS Sari/Christine quote this for posterity if you like, I don't care :

:thumb_yello::huglove:

Me too! I can never understand why people say they want another GK. GK was original and always will be. What I love about this new song is that it ISN'T like any other Mika song! I love that he can write and sing so many different types of song, and do it so well.

We've also got to remember that Mika will know the market by now, and his record company will have wanted him to bring out a single that is comercially viable. It's a business after all. I really think he's come up with the goods with We Are Golden, and I do think that no song is everyone's cup of tea, but whatever a person's taste in music is, Mika will have written a song just for you!

:thumb_yello:

:naughty:

Pet Shop Boys... (im simply insane with them today, as I am going to their only live concert here...)

Everything that has been stated on this thread are people's feelings and opinions about a song. Nothing else. Music is something that you feel, you like or dislike, but this is not something that can be rationalised or logically explained.

When you say that people should critique the song using "some intelligence and Knowledge" (why you capitalise random words including this one, I won't ever understand, but hey, each to their own) you are actually insulting a number of people, and that is not very nice to be honest.

Incidentally, a sign of intelligence would also be to know what you can or cannot say to people, and in this case I believe that you've overstepped the mark. This was quite unnecessary, don't you think?

We're just a bunch of fans giving our (subjective, as they would all be, this is not molecular biology after all) opinions, and everyone is bound to have different ones. As long as nobody is actually being offensive to anyone else, or to Mika, and stating these opinions respectfully, we should be fine. It's posts like these that threaten to throw the balance.

I was really ticked that Some "fans" were saying Mika sold out, it is audience/ friendly, radio/friendly, etc, etc.

They weren't just critiquing the song!

The capitalizing word thing - that is Weird - eh??

If I wanted to have a biased opinion I would agree with Christine & Babspanky.

I do wish I had written my opinion half as decently as Christine though!!

Like it or don't like it - I still think a "few' of the people here could take their heads out of their arses - IMHO!

"I Live For Glitter, Not you!"

Have a nice day!

If it was that calculated Mika wouldn't have such an exceptionally pronounced English accent. That's going to be problematic I think.

Excuse me :naughty:, I beg to differe here-When he says "damn", he sounds downright American! :roftl:

I think this sounds like an American song because it has the potential to appeal to Americans on an emotional level. It does for me anyway.

See, this is again where I differ. I never really feel emotionally connected to a happy pop song as such. Yes, one could argue that if it makes you feel happy you do feel some emotional connection to it, as happiness is an emotion, but what I mean is that it doesn't touch me in the same way that a sadder song touches me.

I can see that the underlying message in WAG is angry, it's the feeling of being misunderstood or misrepresented and trying to have his point seen, but this connection I can only feel at a conscious level, when I read the lyrics and sort of digest them. I don't feel that whilst I am listening to the song, because all the stuff that's happening in it makes it dilute the message before it 'hits' me.

I do feel connected to the story though when I listen ro Toy Boy for example, or to other songs (in general, not just Mika songs) that are of a slower tempo and that just sound more 'genuine' when I listen to them. This is quite funny because it shows how different people relate to different songs, and I find it inmensely interesting, as Inbar posted earlier.

Anyway, after a whole day of listening to WAG and trying to analyse my feelings, I think that it's safe to say that I think it's a great pop song, very catchy indeed (I've been humming the bugger all the time when it popped into my brain at the most unexpected times, so effectively I've been singing it nonstop), it shows a very anthemic side of Mika if that makes any sense, and that despite all these things I don't think that this is one of his songs that I will listen to again and again in say 5 years time, when I can safely say that I will be listening to other songs where I can appreciate his beautiful voice in all its glory.

They are different styles, and IMO WAG, as great as it is as a catchy tune, is not one where you can hear the amazing voice that Mika has. I guess that this is one of my main gripes with it.

My opinions and feelings on this are quite conflictive though, because at the same time that I am saying this I am really enjoying listening to it, so I guess that I'm developing a bit of a love/hate relationship with WAG :naughty:.

I guess I'm just really immature then. :teehee:

So am I, really :roftl: but I still don't find the attachment. I guess I might have gone through different emotions as a teen. This may well all be down to personal experience to a large degree. People who found themselves in a similar position at that age, and others that had a different experience. I did feel very angry/disappointed with a lot of things, but the type of feelings that I had don't seem to match the ones that I can see in this song, or not greatly.

Yes I was thinking about that and imagined if he gets radio play in the US that everyone will think MIKA is a group especially since the song is "we" are golden.

Many people already think that so hey :roftl:.

Ok... I haven't had time to read this thread at all so I don't know if people like it or not... but here's my take on it :

I abso****inglutly freakin' LOVE IT!!!!!! Listened to it like 100 000 000 times yesterday. Makes me want to jump on the kitchen table and dance and throw glitter around.

And what I notice is the more I listen to it, the more I like it.

Ok... I haven't had time to read this thread at all so I don't know if people like it or not... but here's my take on it :

I abso****inglutly freakin' LOVE IT!!!!!! Listened to it like 100 000 000 times yesterday. Makes me want to jump on the kitchen table and dance and throw glitter around.

Me too :roftl:

Count me in as one of the people who is not totally convinced by the song, so why I had a party yesterday evening and all the time in my head I heard "running around agaaaain" above all the chattering (and believe me, argentinians are noisy:naughty:)

And why did I wake up today and the first thing on my mind was "I.have.to.listen.to.WAG" and I ran to the computer and did just that.:blink:

Congrats, Mka, you've done it again:naughty:

Oh, and by the way, ditto to everything Christine says, not just today but from now on. Girl, I tell you, you save me a lot of headaches trying to write in english my thoughts. Can we merge accounts and from now on you speak for the both of us?:mf_lustslow:

Count me in as one of the people who is not totally convinced by the song, so why I had a party yesterday evening and all the time in my head I heard "running around agaaaain" above all the chattering (and believe me, argentinians are noisy:naughty:)

And why did I wake up today and the first thing on my mind was "I.have.to.listen.to.WAG" and I ran to the computer and did just that.:blink:

Congrats, Mka, you've done it again:naughty:

Oh, and by the way, ditto to everything Christine says, not just today but from now on. Girl, I tell you, you save me a lot of headaches trying to write in english my thoughts. Can we merge accounts and from now on you speak for the both of us?:mf_lustslow:

:roftl::naughty::thumb_yello:

Haven't posted on here at all yet as I wanted to actually have an opinion before stating it!

I remember hearing the LICM album sampler on Mikasounds and being overcome with excitement as each snippet came on. It felt like I knew every song the minute I heard them.

That was all part of the crazy start of the obssession as it will have been for so many others. I instantly loved everything about his work and it changed my life forever in a way that no other artist ever had.

So, OK, he's something special.:wub2:

So the anxiety about what comes next was warranted and I felt sick with nerves when I played the new stuff from the LA gig. Would they feel familiar like the LICM songs? Would they be as good? Or better even?

My gut feeling was..."oh, no, they're not what I was expecting" (whatever that menns???)..."what am I going to do if I don't like any more of his stuff???" I just kind of felt numb to them all.

By the time I bought the EP I had all four songs on repeat and realised that not only did I love every nuance of each one...but that I couln't decide on one over the rest.

How did that happen??:blink:

Well, I think it was because they were always brilliant, they were always Mika at his best, Mika evolving musically, Mika being more confident in making music.....but the anticipation and expectation overwhelmed me at the start.

When I heard the snippets of WAG the same thing happened mixed with "Hmmmm, what will Joe Public make of that?? Will people like him more or less? Does it represent the Mika we all know? Will the world at large "get it"?"

I wasn't just listening for my own pleasure, I was listening with the ear of the public and wanting to know what they would think.

With that feeling out of the way I can now listen and enjoy and get to know every note, word, etc and add it to the growing collection of songs that I love and that make such a difference to my life.

this hit the nail for me, it matches my Mika-experience point on :thumb_yello:

With every new songs he releases, the variety in his work grows. I'm not able to point out any favourite, it just depends on my mood, but there is no song as of yet that lets me shrug in indifference.

I love how he embraces music as a whole as he moves on with his work. His music is indeed multidimensional, as he covers up a huge time-line as well as different styles and musical cultures. And still he never misses to put his own unique stamp on it, letting everyone know 'now look, this is what I make of it'

And excuse me, I am 30+ and I do not really believe that anyone at my age or above can fully identify with this song.

oh, just be patient - in another 15 or 20 years you'll start remembering the good old times of your youth and will happily embrace songs like this again! I'm there already :aah::naughty:

Go West! I actually have their album -- which I bought in London, oh, those

many years ago. Yes, it's vinyl. But still... :wub2:

In case they don't, I've saved it :wink2:

It was supposed to be on his Myspace today. :sneaky2:

Still not there :sneaky2:

As I said before, it does for me, too. Oh, wait, I'm American :shocked:

But I don't think that's why I connect with it -- it's the "We are not what you think we are... We Are Golden, We Are Golden..." I felt that way when

I was younger -- I still feel that way at nearly 50!

I am so much more than you see on the surface -- I love that sentiment.

And it's not just the lyric, it's the big sound -- really

huge, grandiose -- it does remind me a bit of Queen, I must say, but

it just evokes a feeling for me. Very stirring, very emotional. It speaks

to me. :blush-anim-cl:

:roftl: No, tell me how you really feel, Vero.

Love your enthusiasm, I'd be dancing on the table right alongside you! :biggrin2:

:huglove:

I liked this song yesterday. I thought it's happy and cheerful, and I liked that '80s sound. I didn't have really strong feelings, though. But a few minutes ago I was listening to it, and I suddenly felt so carefree and happy. Wow :wub2:

For me it's not LT, GK, Relax or Lady Jane. But I can't wait to see him dancing it or us singing it at gigs :thumb_yello: I think I'm going to like it even more in future.

You have no idea how many times a day I think like this, not only with Christine, we have so many good writers in this place who can really find the right words to express their feelings and thoughts!:wub2:

oh, just be patient - in another 15 or 20 years you'll start remembering the good old times of your youth and will happily embrace songs like this again! I'm there already :aah::naughty:

No doubt about that!:biggrin2:

:roftl:

I'll try to remember in 15 years... :thumb_yello:Hope my memory will serve me right :biggrin2: